You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments

M5 Tourings (wagons) were made for both the E34 and E60/E61 generations. Neither was ever sold in the US.

There were a couple of E34 M5 Tourings existing in the US as gray market cars. Recently though, these have hit the 25 year mark, so you're seeing people starting to import them from Europe under the 25 year old rule.

M5 Tourings (wagons) were made for both the E34 and E60/E61 generations. Neither was ever sold in the US.

There were a couple of E34 M5 Tourings existing in the US as gray market cars. Recently though, these have hit the 25 year mark, so you're seeing people starting to import them from Europe under the 25 year old rule.
So this was a imported car? If so I think that’s my first 25 year European import that I’ve seen.

1964 Chevrolet Corvette XP-819

tumblr_puusbjcLRs1ti77kbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_puusbjcLRs1ti77kbo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_puusbjcLRs1ti77kbo3_1280.jpg

I've heard of the many interesting Vette prototypes from way-back-when, but not this one. The XP-819 was designed by Larry Shinoda and was an experiment in the creation of a Corvette using the same engine configuration as the Porsche 911. It was powered a GM V8 engine driving through a 2 speed transaxle, and was rear-engine, rear-wheel drive.​

And yet they completely botched the new Corvette, when some of this curvature would have helped it immeasurably. Hurry up and die, GM, because you're absolutely useless.

VXR
And yet they completely botched the new Corvette, when some of this curvature would have helped it immeasurably. Hurry up and die, GM, because you're absolutely useless.
Look, I get that the new Corvette has frustrated many of us but seriously? That's a little too far ain't it...

Look, I get that the new Corvette has frustrated many of us but seriously? That's a little too far ain't it...

I don't think so. Allowed several brands to die out. Catastrophically mismanaged Opel. Launch Chevrolet every other week in the UK and find the same results leading to their retreat. They're hopeless.

VXR
I don't think so. Allowed several brands to die out. Catastrophically mismanaged Opel. Launch Chevrolet every other week in the UK and find the same results leading to their retreat. They're hopeless.

Stick it in a bubble and blow it away

I love lesser-known Lamborghinis. This one is no exception. I thought I knew pretty much every Lamborghini models and then... :eek:

Lamborghini Canto (1999)

1999-lamborghini-canto-by-zagato.jpg

By the end of the 1990s, the Diablo was approaching its 10th anniversary and Lamborghini was exploring the possibilities it had to develop a replacement for its supercar. Moving underneath Audi’s umbrella in June 1998, work on a successor was accelerated and the plan was to have it ready for a launch in 1999 with an estimated starting price of $400,000 and production limited strictly to 400 examples.

Things did not go as planned as Audi’s chairman back then, Ferdinand Piëch, was not a big fan of the car’s design, criticizing the Canto originally conceived in 1998 for not being as aggressive as the Countach and Miura before it. For reasons we can easily understand, he also had a problem with those massive air intakes at the back. The original styling of the supercar was refreshed in early 1999 and aside from a facelift, the rear end was reworked to make the intakes much smaller.

The updated model was all set to be unveiled to the public at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1999 as promised in a press release published by Lamborghini towards the end of January. However, the Canto was a no-show in Switzerland because the company did not receive Piëch’s approval to show the revised car. Ultimately, the project was canceled, but it is believed a total of five cars were made, with one of them being a fully working prototype acquired by a collector who had it shipped to Japan.

In regards to the oily bits, the 6.0-liter V12 engine used during the testing phase delivered 640 horsepower, but the aforementioned press release talked about an output of 610hp which could make a 350km/h top speed. Lamborghini wanted to detune the engine in order to stick to the same maintenance schedule as the Diablo’s. During the early development phase, the Canto actually had a 510-horsepower engine adapted from the Diablo SV before moving to the Diablo SV-R’s powertrain.

Back