You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,186 comments
Lamborghini Canto

iu
You must have missed @TheNuvolari's post from about two months ago. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the giant scoops over the rear wheels. I'm sure they're very effective, but they're not terrible attractive. And if a Lamborghini isn't attractive, what's the point?

It's testament to just how many cars were developed during the Japanese bubble economy that even now, 21 years after it burst you can still find models you didnt know existed.

Based on the E100 series of Corolla, the Corolla Ceres was a small, upscale 4-door that used the interior of the Levin/Trueno.

autowp.ru_toyota_corolla_ceres_10.jpg
pictures_toyota_corolla-ceres_1992_3_b.jpg

It also had a Sprinter cousin, the Marino.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sprinter_Marino

EDIT: in a weird moment of serendipity, someone on a Facebook group I'm in posted an abandoned car in a hedge, which seemed instantly familiar...

FB_IMG_1566583183257.jpg

Further googling returned this, which definitely appears to be the same one.

32088224053_edc136f34a_b.jpg

A sad end to a rare car in the UK.

Last edited:
VXR
It's testament to just how many cars were developed during the Japanese bubble economy that even now, 21 years after it burst you can still find models you didnt know existed.

Based on the E100 series of Corolla, the Corolla Ceres was a small, upscale 4-door that used the interior of the Levin/Trueno.

View attachment 845616 View attachment 845615

It also had a Sprinter cousin, the Marino.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sprinter_Marino

EDIT: in a weird moment of serendipity, someone on a Facebook group I'm in posted an abandoned car in a hedge, which seemed instantly familiar...

View attachment 845624
Further googling returned this, which definitely appears to be the same one.

View attachment 845625

A sad end to a rare car in the UK.

The Marino came with the black top 4AGE from the AE101 as well 👍

Dime a dozen here - it's another one of those cars that were dirt cheap, just at the importing boom. Sad to see so many in junkyards these days...

Fake Alpina right?
Has a Alpina steering wheel but wouldn’t the badge be a B with a number like B6/B7?
From what I can guess, yes. It would not only have a "B" badge with a number, but they seem to oddly enough still have a BMW badge on the rear. Or at least the one here does. Plus, Alpina e38s have Alpina branded wheels while this e38 has regular BMW wheels.
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa19/paris/lots/r0030-2000-bmw-alpina-b12-60/733305

Otherwise, it's still a beautiful 7-series to look at. I've grown to really like the e38's body style overtime.

It would still have the BMW badge, but it should say Alpina on the left, and Bxx X.X on the right side of the rear but those are optional.

An Alpina is always a BMW Alpina, if the BMW logo is replaced by an Alpina badge, it's fake. Alpina doesn't replace the BMW logo.

Gilburn Invader

iu
I posted this very car in this very thread in September. It's a truly beautiful car. Here's a little snippet of info:

"1969-1974 Gilbern Invader, a Welsh-built sports car using Ford Cortina parts, as well as the Ford Essex V6. Only 600 were produced."

It would still have the BMW badge, but it should say Alpina on the left, and Bxx X.X on the right side of the rear but those are optional.

An Alpina is always a BMW Alpina, if the BMW logo is replaced by an Alpina badge, it's fake. Alpina doesn't replace the BMW logo.

It's not always a given that it's not a real Alpina if the roundels have been replaced, plenty of Alpina owners fit them to genuine cars. But yeah, Mr E38 there isn't fooling anyone.

It's not always a given that it's not a real Alpina if the roundels have been replaced, plenty of Alpina owners fit them to genuine cars. But yeah, Mr E38 there isn't fooling anyone.

That could be true, but I meant that the badge is always fake. Alpina doesn't make them.

Back