Your five favourite movies of all time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 122 comments
  • 4,683 views

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Messages
13,827
Australia
Down under
List your five favourite movies of all time. Also mention what you have based your list on. For me, a favourite movie is one that you can watch a million times over and not get tired of.

My list in no order:

- The Beach
- Good Will Hunting
- The Matrix (I)
- The Talented Mr. Ripley
- Ronan
 
1. Star Wars
2. Sneakers
3. Bullit
4. Arthur
5. Midnight Run

Runner-ups:

Contact, Goldfinger, Blade Runner, Blazing Saddles and A Christmas Story.
 
Blade Runner
The Shipping News
Contact
Gangs of New York
Enemy at the Gate

Some humorous/sentimental, but not really very good, movies I like are:

A Christmas Story
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Ferris Bueler's Day Off
The Breakfast Club
Me Myself and Irene
 
1.carlitos's way
2. devil's advocate
3.godfather trilogy
4.gundam wing-endless waltz
5.heat

close runner ups: ronnin, heat, half-baked, char's counterattack, scent of a woman (not sure if that's the movie im thinking of, it had al pacino and matt damon? all i remmeber was al pacino played some blind war hero, could dance blind, and tried to drive a ferrari blind or some sports car).
 
Here are my favorites:
1. Emperor's New Groove
2. The Transporter
3. The Matrix
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. What Dreams May Come
 
-The Crow
-The Matrix
-Fight Club
-The Usual Suspects
-The Boondock Saints

and since everybody else is doing an honorable mentions list...
American Beauty, Pulp Fiction, Se7en, Mallrats, and Dogma are a few that come to mind.

-Mark
 
1. Magnolia
2. Terminator
3. Heat
4. Dumb & Dumber
5. Contact
 
1. The Matrix (the original)
2. Minority Report
3. The Recruit (amazingly no or little profanity)
4.
5.
 
Contact
The Matrix
Forrest Gump
The Godfather
The Shawshank Redemption

I also like Identity very much.
 
The Matrix
The Boondock Saints
Gladiator
Braveheart
We Were Soldiers
 
Godfather
Braveheart
shawshank redemption
Austin Powers 3: Goldmember
Shaft

imho, Matrix was overrated!!!
/me runs
 
How High
Scarface
2 Fast 2 Furious
Drumline
Scary Movie
 
I'm going to leave out Lord of the Rings until I see how the 3rd movie pans out. (but it really deserves top spots for me.)

1. Fifth element
2. Shawshank Redemption
3. Jaws
4. Return to me
5. Fist of Legend

Matrix would have been #4 if the 2nd and 3rd movies hadn't put a bad taste in my mouth for the series.
 
My top five are: (In no order)
1. Open Range
2. Enemy at the Gates
3. Bullit
4. The Patriot
5. Saving Privat Ryan

Some of my other favs include basically all Bond movies, all Star Wars movies, Beavis & Butthead Do America, The Lord of the Rings series, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, ummm that's all I can think of right now.
EDIT: Monty Python and the Holy Grail
 

4.Romeo Must Die

I forgot that one. Very good movie.

I also like Identity very much.

I just watched this Saturday night. I wasn't impressed.

I also want to echo 69's mentions of all the Star Wars movies and all the LOTR movies. Really hard to narrow down to five, especially with series.
 
1. The Longest Day
2. The Italian Job (Not the new one)
3. Monty Python, the life of bryan
4. Alien
5. Aliens
 
Monty Python: The Quest for the Holy Grail
Blazing Saddles
The Dirty Dozen
Star Wars: A new Hope, and Return of the Jedi.
Young Frankenstein.

honorable mentions to:
The rest of the Star Wars series,
Top Gun
Gran Prix
Support Your Local Sheriff
My name is Nobody.
 
1. The Usual Suspects
2. Aliens
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Casino
5. Billy Budd
 
hhmm 5 fav movies thats a tough one but here goes

1. Fat Pizza
2. Ali G
3. Waynes World
4. Rush hour
5. The castle
 
:banghead: forgot about Fight Club, Saving Private Ryan, The Devils Advocate and Pulp Fiction.
 
Originally posted by Zrow
Contact
The Matrix
Forrest Gump
The Godfather
The Shawshank Redemption

I also like Identity very much.


Man, I forgot to include the astounding Shawshank Redemption. I think I need a little more then five choices. There are just too many good ones out there. I have also forgotten Smokey and The Bandit. Ahh shoot! Oh well, I'll get over it.
 
can never tell whats good now but the top five are

5. death race 2000
4. herbie the love bug
3. ET
2. the naked gun
1. smokie and the bandit
 
1. Gothic - Ken Russell
2. The Shining
3. The House on Haunted Hill (remake)
4. Quadrophenia
5. Trainspotting

there are loads more....i dont know what is best..
 
Pumping Iron
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Reservoir Dogs

Shawshank Redemption might be number 6.
 
Originally posted by MIKE#3
How High
Scarface
2 Fast 2 Furious
Drumline
Scary Movie

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off.

Drumline, that movie had to be the biggest waste ever. A "cool" black drummer won't make people accept high school bands.

And what a ****ty advertisement for it "Half time is game time!"
 
Yeah, but every other movie he listed is topnotch.

Except Scarface.
 
I can't just choose five, sorry
in no particular order whatsoever

The Warriors
Pink FLoyd The Wall
Scarface
Duel
The Tin Drum
Se7en
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
Taxi Driver
Falling Down
I Married a strange Person

I could probably end up adding more later, but won't
 
I actually liked Drumline. Anyway, American History X is an honorable mention as well.
 
Back