Your five favourite movies of all time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 122 comments
  • 4,684 views
Originally posted by TurboSmoke
in my experience Lawyers are not the social elite...they're bottom feeding scum bags that will rip you off....just coz someone has a degree doesnt make them elite...

your sad quote is rather embarrasing...man it send shivers down my spine...rather you than me mate..

It helps your argument when you don't nitpick at my statement. And it seems that you didn't understand any of my argument. Read the whole thing before making a dumbass post like that again.

BTW: I believe you meant "sends" in reference to my quote
 
This is great. Thank you for making it easy, I guess.

Originally posted by NISMOskyline
I must say, your immense ignorance astounds me. What I meant by the "social elite" are scientists, govt. officials, lawyers, etc.
Are you part of this "social elite"? Do you feel somehow inferior because of it? It seems like it. I do not make the distinctions you make between people. There are the thinking ones, and the non-thinking ones. What one does for money has little to do with their ability to think. You have made it obvious that you have never thought, do not know what thinking is, and are content to remain as such.

And by the way, you are very easily "astounded" . . . more evidence to be used to place you into one of the two types.

You see, back before Socrates the common people were not able to understand philosophy or much in the way of higher thinking. The Pre Socratic philosophers used analogies that were better understood by the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE.
Okay... So "before Socrates the common people were not able to understand philosophy or much in the way of higher thinking". And in the same paragraph you say "The Pre Socratic philosophers used analogies that were better understood by the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE". Do I need to point out this glaring contradiction? Unless you are trying to argue that "common people" and "MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE" are different things, that whole statement makes no sense. I'm sure you already know they aren't, though, because you are a deep thinker.

But you think that common people, the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE, shouldn't learn about philosophical theories.
Don't be so "astounded" that you can't remember simple things people say to you. Never did I say what you suggest above. And not only that, I disagree. See my first paragraph in this post.

You should also try learning the difference between philosophy and theory. It's a good thing to understand if you expect to be believable as a smart guy, which, as of now, you are not.

And I am quite capable of advanced thought, as I started reading at the age of 3 1/2. I've had a lot of time to learn.
Boasting like you have something to prove only convinces me further that you really aren't.

Remember milefile, that language is like a sword. When wielded correctly it can slay ignorance. But when you use it foolishly, you will fall upon your own blade
Pa-leeze . . . the proverbial icing on the cake.

Try again Bobo.
 
mine are

Kung Pow Enter the Fist
cowboy bebop
any Jackie Chan movie
Snatch
Lockstock and 2 smoking barrels
the transporter
swordfish
Ronin
Matrix
Saving Private Ryan
black hawk down
Half baked Oceans Eleven
Cool hand luke
Butch Cassidy and the Sunshine Kid
 
Originally posted by milefile
This is great. Thank you for making it easy, I guess.


Are you part of this "social elite"? Do you feel somehow inferior because of it? It seems like it. I do not make the distinctions you make between people. There are the thinking ones, and the non-thinking ones. What one does for money has little to do with their ability to think. You have made it obvious that you have never thought, do not know what thinking is, and are content to remain as such.

And by the way, you are very easily "astounded" . . . more evidence to be used to place you into one of the two types.


Okay... So "before Socrates the common people were not able to understand philosophy or much in the way of higher thinking". And in the same paragraph you say "The Pre Socratic philosophers used analogies that were better understood by the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE". Do I need to point out this glaring contradiction? Unless you are trying to argue that "common people" and "MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE" are different things, that whole statement makes no sense. I'm sure you already know they aren't, though, because you are a deep thinker.


Don't be so "astounded" that you can't remember simple things people say to you. Never did I say what you suggest above. And not only that, I disagree. See my first paragraph in this post.

You should also try learning the difference between philosophy and theory. It's a good thing to understand if you expect to be believable as a smart guy, which, as of now, you are not.


Boasting like you have something to prove only convinces me further that you really aren't.


Pa-leeze . . . the proverbial icing on the cake.

Try again Bobo.

LOL, at least you read the whole thing. Im flattered that you took the time to do so.

First of all, Pre Socratic philosophers had THEORIES, not actual philosophical systems (this, I hope, proves that I know the difference).

Second, it seems almost necessary that I boast, what with you thinking I'm stupid and lacking knowledge of higher thought processes.

And finally, can we put this argument to rest? I mean, is it really all that important who's right or wrong? Hell, I don't even remember how it started in the first place. I don't want anyone to foster any grudges against me, especially if it's over a stupid forum thread. So what do you say, truce?
 
Yay,

A truce has been signed, and peace is once again, in the land of GTP.;)
 
Hmm...Matrix Reloaded just hit ppv a few days ago and i got to watch it recently. I have got to say it was the worst movie i have EVER seen... The only reason I watched all of it is because the money was blown and somebody had to watch it :p. It seems that all they did was throw in a crapload of overdone action/violence and a bunch of neo/trinity love scenes to appeal to the dumb, horny teenagers of the world. What do you think?

More great movies though:
Italian Job
Ocean's 11
The Recruit
 
I can't stand the Matrix trillogy, it's typical Hollywood crap IMHO.;)
 
"You idiot! It's based on the Allegory of the Cave!"
 
Well I'm surprsied that no one has yet mentioned IMO the greatest racing film ever. Le Mans. My god was that acting cheesy but a classic film none the less, so anywayz here's my list.
1)Le Mans
2)Snatch
3)Saving Private Ryan
4)LOTR (both of them so far)
5)Pitch Black
 
Has anyone seen a japanese movie called "Battle Royale"? I've been looking for a 'working' trailer, but I couldn't find one which was view-able.
 
Originally posted by Zrow
"You idiot! It's based on the Allegory of the Cave!"
I realise what it's based on, and if you would read some of the previouse post's, you would know that. I am reffering to the way it was executed.....badly.;)
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
I realise what it's based on, and if you would read some of the previouse post's, you would know that. I am reffering to the way it was executed.....badly.;)

Why do I think that all hell is about to break loose....again.
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline
Why do I think that all hell is about to break loose....again.
Well as long as people are flaming, and making stupid post's, this is never going to end. ;)
 
Originally posted by azndrifter318
Has anyone seen a japanese movie called "Battle Royale"? I've been looking for a 'working' trailer, but I couldn't find one which was view-able.

The movie is incredible...but over the top disturbing. I downloaded the whole movie after a friend forced me to. I wouldn't put it anywhere near my tops, but it's most definately one of the most memorable.

I don't know about trailers for that thing...those are always hard to find for foreign movies.

Also, check out Avalon - it's a polish movie directed by a bunch of anime/jdorama people. One of the best i've seen in some time now that i think about it.
 
OK, this is fluid, but my current top 5 favourite movies are:
1. Terminator 2. (If you can see past the holes in the plot, it's a tense goodie vs baddie movie in which the blend of CG and live action is just right)
2. Saving Private Ryan (Harrowing, but beautifully executed).
3. Ocean's Eleven (The George Clooney version, so amazingly stylish)
4. The Usual Suspects (Great characters, twist at the end exquisitely concealed)
5. Bring It On (Great to watch when you get home from the pub, Cheerleaders + Comedy = Great)
 
In no particular order...

Vanilla Sky
Jurassic Park
A Beautiful Mind
Ocean's Eleven
Finding Nemo
Enemy At The Gates
Gone In Sixty Seconds
Black Hawk Down
Spy Game

...but there's more.
 
Originally posted by Chris Hendriks
1.Scarface
2.Resivoir Dogs
3.Swordfish
4.Romeo Must Die
5.Casino

Reservoir.
 
Originally posted by sn00pie

Finding Nemo

You must of got some strange looks from all the little kiddy's if you went and saw that in the cinema?
Weren't you like the oldest person there?
 
Originally posted by wee_man
You must of got some strange looks from all the little kiddy's if you went and saw that in the cinema?
Weren't you like the oldest person there?

I saw it as a Sneak Preview at 21:30something.

It's great, I'm a big fan of Pixar.
 
I can't deny that the suff of theirs that I've seen is actually quite good. Though I still haven't seen Finding Nemo or monsters Inc yet...:odd:
 
A guy walks into a bar...
 
yea.........
(and if it's the 'he says ouch' punchline one I think I should be allowed to slap you in the goonads ;) :p )
 
He kicks the barkeep inbetween the legs.

Ouch.
 
Back