Your five favourite movies of all time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 122 comments
  • 4,684 views
Top Five is too too limiting IMO. A few of my favorites are...

Indiana Jones Trilogy
Star Wars Original Trilogy
LOTR Trilogy(When finished)
Matrix Trilogy
Austin Powers Trilogy
Any Naked Gun Film
Band of Brothers Miniseries
Scarface
Many More...
 
Originally posted by Matrixhasu77
Top Five is too too limiting IMO. A few of my favorites are...


Band of Brothers Miniseries

:cheers:
 
JUST five is hard. So many good ones and I hate you for making me choose. :D

Favorites:
American History X
Se7en
Donnie Darko
The Crow
Fight Club

More favorites:
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Dirty Work
Underworld
The Believer
 
Well, I can see from the previous posts, that my tastes are slightly more intelectual than most people here, but here ya go.

Movies:

Jacobs Ladder
Pi
Requiem for a Dream
The Usual Suspects
Adaptation
Memento
Se7en
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Mozart
One Hour Photo

Manga:

Hellsing
Ninja Scrolls
Ghost in the Shell
Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust)
Initial D Third Stage
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
Well, I can see from the previous posts, that my tastes are slightly more intelectual than most people here, but here ya go.

Movies:

Jacobs Ladder
Pi
Requiem for a Dream
The Usual Suspects
Adaptation
Memento
Se7en
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Mozart
One Hour Photo

Manga:

Hellsing
Ninja Scrolls
Ghost in the Shell
Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust)
Initial D Third Stage


I wouldn't say that my selection of videos is unintelligent or sub-your-standard for movies. It is just that I prefer movies that have a more comical view on life and have some humor to them. That and who doesn't like a happy ending?

I also like the selection of yours, but almost all of them involve death, whether it is self-inflicted or induced. I just like a happy tune to life. :D
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
Well, I can see from the previous posts, that my tastes are slightly more intelectual than most people here,

so 'intelectual' in fact that you lack even the most rudimentary spelling skills....

no one 'got' intellectual by sitting around watching cartoons all day my friend...
 
Originally posted by TurboSmoke
so 'intelectual' in fact that you lack even the most rudimentary spelling skills....

no one 'got' intellectual by sitting around watching cartoons all day my friend...
So your jumping on me because I left out an L? I type fast, and sometimes I leave out letters, get over it. Furthermore, there is no flaming allowed on GTP, so I suggest you watch what you say in the future. Also, I was reffering to the majority of people here that are posting movies like the Matrix, Drumline, Enemy at the Gate, House3 on Haunted Hill and so on. There is nothing wrong with enjoying these movies, but they do not have any "intellectual" value whatsoever, which is what I was reffering to. I personally like movies that make you think, and leave you questioning life. Alot of them deal with death because negative emotions are more prominent, and it gives the actor or actress a chance to show their calliber. Furthermore, what was that cartoon coment about? If you were reffering to the Anime I posted, then I think you should maybe watch them before you cast judgement. The Anime that I listed is for adults, not kids, except Initial D. In Japan the "Cartoons" you comented about are seen like our live action movies are in the states, with big name actors, and big name directors. So please don't call them cartoons, they are not in the same category as Pokemon. For those of you with more mature attitudes, I suggest you check out "Pi", and Requiem for a Dream, they are both directed by Darren Aronofsky, and he has a very abstract film style, that will satisfy any true art buff.;)
 
Originally posted by toyomatt84
I wouldn't say that my selection of videos is unintelligent or sub-your-standard for movies. It is just that I prefer movies that have a more comical view on life and have some humor to them. That and who doesn't like a happy ending?

I also like the selection of yours, but almost all of them involve death, whether it is self-inflicted or induced. I just like a happy tune to life. :D

That's cool, I can understand that. Personally, I like to see the actors giving there all, which can only be done if the writing is as good as the actors. I do however agree, that "What Dreams May Come", is a good film, with a very unique style. If you like Robin Williams, then you should check out "One Hour Photo" IMO. Also, I do not like a happy ending most of the time, due to it's obviousness, and lack of realism. Furthermore, I can't stand Hollywood movies, because they are full of one liners, bad writing, plot holes, and just an overall lack of realism. This of course does not apply to films, which stories are written to be unrealistic, like Hook, The Matrix, Elf, and so on. What other movies do you consider to be the cream of the crop? ;)
 
1) The Matrix
2) Night Of the Living Dead
3) Star Wars Episode 1
4) Ninja Scroll
5) The Tree of Might (Dragonball Z)
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
So your jumping on me because I left out an L? I type fast, and sometimes I leave out letters, get over it. Furthermore, there is no flaming allowed on GTP, so I suggest you watch what you say in the future. Also, I was reffering to the majority of people here that are posting movies like the Matrix, Drumline, Enemy at the Gate, House3 on Haunted Hill and so on. There is nothing wrong with enjoying these movies, but they do not have any "intellectual" value whatsoever, which is what I was reffering to. I personally like movies that make you think, and leave you questioning life. Alot of them deal with death because negative emotions are more prominent, and it gives the actor or actress a chance to show their calliber. Furthermore, what was that cartoon coment about? If you were reffering to the Anime I posted, then I think you should maybe watch them before you cast judgement. The Anime that I listed is for adults, not kids, except Initial D. In Japan the "Cartoons" you comented about are seen like our live action movies are in the states, with big name actors, and big name directors. So please don't call them cartoons, they are not in the same category as Pokemon. For those of you with more mature attitudes, I suggest you check out "Pi", and Requiem for a Dream, they are both directed by Darren Aronofsky, and he has a very abstract film style, that will satisfy any true art buff.;)

Wow, then I guess I dont have to explain how the storyline of The Matrix is directly tied to the Allegory of the Cave, which was written by Plato, one of the most influential philosophers in the world.

Language is like a sword, wield it wisely and it can slay ignorance, but strike impulsively and it shall wound you
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline
Wow, then I guess I dont have to explain how the storyline of The Matrix is directly tied to the Allegory of the Cave, which was written by Plato, one of the most influential philosophers in the world.

Language is like a sword, wield it wisely and it can slay ignorance, but strike impulsively and it shall wound you
I have heard that, but it is not very well executed. The acting is abismal, and that's enough to ruin it for me. I like the idea of the Matrix trilogy, but Keanu turns every movie he's in, into Bill an Teds, with his 2 dimensional acting. THe Matrix was good the first time I watched it, but it has no replay value. Furthermore, I know the works of Plato quite well. In fact, my favorite work of his at the moment would be the debate on temperance. ;)
 
Thank you Silviadrifter for somewhat agreeing with me on the fact that the Matrix trilogy is overrated
 
Originally posted by emad
Thank you Silviadrifter for somewhat agreeing with me on the fact that the Matrix trilogy is overrated
No problem, whatever I can do to help. Anyway, I think I will add some movies to the ever growing list:

A Clockwork Orange
My Left Foot
Mystic River
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I'll, most likely, add more later. ;)
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
I have heard that, but it is not very well executed. The acting is abismal, and that's enough to ruin it for me. I like the idea of the Matrix trilogy, but Keanu turns every movie he's in, into Bill an Teds, with his 2 dimensional acting. THe Matrix was good the first time I watched it, but it has no replay value. Furthermore, I know the works of Plato quite well. In fact, my favorite work of his at the moment would be the debate on temperance. ;)

Im glad there are other people that read Plato's works other than me:lol: It is true what you said about Keanu's acting, but I hold storyline to be more important. And my favorite theory of Plato's would be the idea of Forms, as it was revolutionary for its time ands set up theories based upon Idealism
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline
Im glad there are other people that read Plato's works other than me:lol: It is true what you said about Keanu's acting, but I hold storyline to be more important. And my favorite theory of Plato's would be the idea of Forms, as it was revolutionary for its time ands set up theories based upon Idealism
Forms, good call, That was very revolutionary. Nismo, you are a refreshing burst of intellect in a sea of ignorance. It's nice to see someone else with interrests of this nature. To quote Plato, "His approving answers reassured me, and I began by degrees to regain confidence, and the vital heat returned". Furthermore, I have not read the Allegory of the Cave, I think I should check it out, then maybe I could hold some small interrest in the Matrix trilogy. What other philosophers, and/or, writers are you interested in? ;)
 
Here are mine (In no particular order)
- American History X
- Old School
- Momento
- Van Wilder
- Happy Gilmore
 
Van Wilder? That is with that guy from 2 guys and a girl?
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
The acting is abismal,

well thats a fine way to put it...

tell me, if it's not too much of a trauma for you, what qualifies you as an intellectual and the rest of us plebs on GTP as mere pond-life?

is it the the playstation games you play?
is it the so called 'adult' cartoons you watch?
is it the classical literature that so intrigues you?

i am dying to know....honestly.
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
Nismo, you are a refreshing burst of intellect in a sea of ignorance.

and i wasn't flaming you pal, i was pointing out the irony of claiming to be so intellectual and yet spelling the word wrong...it brought a smile to my lips and just had to say something...if anyone made a flaming statement i would say that by equating the content of the post on this website as....how did you put it...

'a sea of ignorance'?

..then its you...
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
Forms, good call, That was very revolutionary. Nismo, you are a refreshing burst of intellect in a sea of ignorance. It's nice to see someone else with interrests of this nature. To quote Plato, "His approving answers reassured me, and I began by degrees to regain confidence, and the vital heat returned". Furthermore, I have not read the Allegory of the Cave, I think I should check it out, then maybe I could hold some small interrest in the Matrix trilogy. What other philosophers, and/or, writers are you interested in? ;)

I am a big fan of Descartes' works, but I also like some of the Pre Socratic philosophers, as their ides were easy to understand, and it seemed to me to be an attempt to bring philosophy to the mainstream. And, of course, I couldn't forget about Socrates. His debate on piety (I wish I could remember the name of it) was classic dialectical method. You could literally see the steps in action:)
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
Forms, good call, That was very revolutionary. Nismo, you are a refreshing burst of intellect in a sea of ignorance. It's nice to see someone else with interrests of this nature. To quote Plato, "His approving answers reassured me, and I began by degrees to regain confidence, and the vital heat returned". Furthermore, I have not read the Allegory of the Cave, I think I should check it out, then maybe I could hold some small interrest in the Matrix trilogy. What other philosophers, and/or, writers are you interested in? ;)

Both of you stop. It's embarrassing. I'm sure Plato would be so happy to hear you have a favorite. That must make the allegory and his philosophy in general more true, too. I see you're not to smart to understand that philosophy, which is the revealing of Truth, is utterly beyond any estimation of "favorite", or "influential". But whatever, if you must treat philosophers as if they're dime-store novelists to feel important and smart, have at it. And while you're at it you may want to update your philosophical repertoire a couple thousand years.
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline
I am a big fan of Descartes' works, but I also like some of the Pre Socratic philosophers, as their ides were easy to understand, and it seemed to me to be an attempt to bring philosophy to the mainstream. And, of course, I couldn't forget about Socrates. His debate on piety (I wish I could remember the name of it) was classic dialectical method. You could literally see the steps in action:)

Ooohhh... Descartes. Now that's modern!

So you're saying that one may "prefer" a particular philosophy based on ease of comprehension and how mainstream it is? When something comes close to mainstream it's ability to reveal the world is lost, so your critereon is garbage.
 
All Monty Python rocks.
1. Holy Grail
2. Life Of Bryan
3. Star Wars
4. Alien
5. Dark Star

( i wrote this in a hurry, first ones that came to mind really.)
 
Originally posted by milefile
Ooohhh... Descartes. Now that's modern!

So you're saying that one may "prefer" a particular philosophy based on ease of comprehension and how mainstream it is? When something comes close to mainstream it's ability to reveal the world is lost, so your critereon is garbage.

So you say we should leave philosophy to the social elite?:mad:
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline
So you say we should leave philosophy to the social elite?:mad:

What is "social elite"?

You should leave philosophy to those who can think. It's harder than you presume.
 
Not to mention that fact that Plato is one of the biggest loads of hooey ever perpetrated on Western thinking. That's probably why I'm so totally underwhelmed by the Matrix movies.

911, you seem to have excellent taste in movies as well as women. I and the 27 other people who have seen Dark Star totally approve. I won't be able to pick 5 favorite movies of all time, but I'll do my best. Trying to avoid titles already mentioned, and in no order:

1) Blazing Saddles
2) Mad Max
3) Das Boot, in German, with subtitles
4) Diva, in French, with subtitles
5) The Princess Bride

That should cover a fairly wide spectrum.
 
Lol thanks neon, you probably saw that I like Das Boot aswell right?
 
No, I missed that. Where did it come up? We're huge Python fans, too, of course. In addition to the two you mentioned, I'd have to add A Fish Called Wanda at around #7 on the list (almost Python, anyway)...
 
Oh yea it was in the disturbing movie scene one. That's why.
Fawlty Towers also rocks (yes it aint a film but it should be) all down to Cleese though.
 
philophers shmilophers

I'll maker my own meaning of life

PS: the Hokey Pokoey IS what's its all about!
 
Back