Your five favourite movies of all time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 122 comments
  • 4,684 views
that is if philosophy is the search for the meaning of life...
OUCH! MY BRAIN!

EDIT: oops, shoulda used the edit button, sorry
 
Well, I at no point said everyone on GTP is moronic, I was just merely stating that the majority of the movies and literature, that I am interrested in has some intellectual value. I was in no way speaking down to anyone, I mean I like Initial D, and I think we all know there is not much intellect involved with that story. I was merely stating that it seams most of my tastes are a little different than the majority on this forum, that is all. I'm sorry if some of you misinterpretted my statement, I meant no ill will. Also, Mile, you need to settle down, your the only one I see flaming. Also, Neon-Duke, I agree with your movie list, especialy A Fish Called Wanda.

Here is some more movies:

Heaven
Brazil
In the Name of the Father

I'll think of more later.;)
 
Originally posted by TurboSmoke
and i wasn't flaming you pal, i was pointing out the irony of claiming to be so intellectual and yet spelling the word wrong...it brought a smile to my lips and just had to say something...if anyone made a flaming statement i would say that by equating the content of the post on this website as....how did you put it...

'a sea of ignorance'?

..then its you...
I didn't claim to be so intellectual, I stated my taste in movies was. Furthermore, I do think there is alot of ignorance on these forums, and every forum. There is going to be stupidity anywhere you go. I was not aiming anything at you, I wonder why you have taken it as a personal insult. Anyway, I am sorry for the misunderstanding. ;)
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
Anyway, I am sorry for the misunderstanding. ;)

its forgotten my friend....

anyway, you should know, i never take what people say on these forums personally...but i would say that i am a reactionist..:lol:
 
Saving Private ryan
Snatch
Oceans Eleven...Modern
Band of brothers, not a movie,but a 9 part series
Monsters inc :lol:
 
Add Momento to my list, it slipped past me on my original post.
 
Originally posted by milefile
What is "social elite"?

You should leave philosophy to those who can think. It's harder than you presume.

I must say, your immense ignorance astounds me. What I meant by the "social elite" are scientists, govt. officials, lawyers, etc. You see, back before Socrates the common people were not able to understand philosophy or much in the way of higher thinking. The Pre Socratic philosophers used analogies that were better understood by the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE. But you think that common people, the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE, shouldn't learn about philosophical theories. And I am quite capable of advanced thought, as I started reading at the age of 3 1/2. I've had a lot of time to learn.

Remember milefile, that language is like a sword. When wielded correctly it can slay ignorance. But when you use it foolishly, you will fall upon your own blade
 
1. Conan the Barbarian (second one sucked except for Olivia d'Abo)
2. Excaliber (Wagner ending still makes me cry...best death ever!)
3. The 13th Warrior ( a nice study of a week in the life of the vikings)
4. Star Wars (my first movie in the theater...changed me)
5. Star Trek Generations ( passing of the torch with grace..and death)
The English Patient and believe it or not Godzilla(1998) are a close 6 and 7.:O
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline
I must say, your immense ignorance astounds me. What I meant by the "social elite" are scientists, govt. officials, lawyers, etc. You see, back before Socrates the common people were not able to understand philosophy or much in the way of higher thinking. The Pre Socratic philosophers used analogies that were better understood by the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE. But you think that common people, the MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE, shouldn't learn about philosophical theories. And I am quite capable of advanced thought, as I started reading at the age of 3 1/2. I've had a lot of time to learn.

Remember milefile, that language is like a sword. When wielded correctly it can slay ignorance. But when you use it foolishly, you will fall upon your own blade
Right on Nismo:tup:also the movie is called Memento, just thought some of you would like to know.

Here's some more:

Scent of a Woman
Donnie Brasco
;)
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter
Right on Nismo:tup:also the movie is called Memento, just thought some of you would like to know.

Here's some more:

Scent of a Woman
Donnie Brasco
;)

LOL, I'll stop fighting now:lol:
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline

Remember milefile, that language is like a sword. When wielded correctly it can slay ignorance. But when you use it foolishly, you will fall upon your own blade
So you have a lot of self-inflicted wounds, then? Good thing that language isn't a full-auto submachine gun...
 
Snowtire reminded me, I love the English Patient. Also, Waking Life.;)
 
Originally posted by NISMOskyline
I What I meant by the "social elite" are scientists, govt. officials, lawyers, etc

......

Remember milefile, that language is like a sword. When wielded correctly it can slay ignorance. But when you use it foolishly, you will fall upon your own blade

in my experience Lawyers are not the social elite...they're bottom feeding scum bags that will rip you off....just coz someone has a degree doesnt make them elite...

your sad quote is rather embarrasing...man it send shivers down my spine...rather you than me mate..
 
Yea, it was a typo, "Memento". I didn't edit my post because it is a few pages back, and I didn't think anyone would see it anyway. I posted a new post in case anyone wanted to give there opinion on the movie.
 
Originally posted by Zrow
Yea, it was a typo, "Memento". I didn't edit my post because it is a few pages back, and I didn't think anyone would see it anyway. I posted a new post in case anyone wanted to give there opinion on the movie.
I loved Memento, it had a very simple, yet deceptively complex structure. Very linear, just backwards, which confuses the audience into seeing complexity. I think it was an instant classic IMHO.;)
 
In no specific order...

Belly
State Property
Scarface
The Rock
Heat (Has to be the greatest gunfight scene ever)
The Getaway (Did they make a new one of these? If they did, I'm talking about the one with Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw)

I realize that's 6, but oh well.
 
👍 Dead Poets Society, Once were warriors, Thin Red Line, Memphis Belle, the Pianist 👍
 
The Empire Strikes Back
The Matrix
Cruel Intentions
Braveheart
Ferris Buellers day off
 
Originally posted by ShobThaBob
The Empire Strikes Back
The Matrix
Cruel Intentions
Braveheart
Ferris Buellers day off

Repeat mention
Repeat mention
:eek:
Repeat mention
Repeat mention
 
Whats wrong with cruel intentions? It reminds me of my youthful days (kinda sad considering im just 18)
 
My eek wasnt refering to it being a dodgy movie.
 
I think the comments above and below the eek sheath the answer
 
uhm....I dont understand...but ok.Are you perhaps referring to my alternate lifestyle?
 
Your what?

:rolleyes:

Mike Rotch's guide to sarcasm:

The aforementioned "eek" was placed between two lots of two statements; "Repeat mention". This was do to emphasis the fact that you did not read the preceding posts and simply posted trash.

I have little concern for your alternate lifestyle. If fact, I have anti-concern.
 
See, now how hard was that? Milefile is much better cuz he is so open and direct about such things. *sigh* oh well, guess you cant please everyone. I was just offerring my 5 favorite movies. Nothing more.
 
Well, as I am not milefile, I guess that makes sense.
 
Back