Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
OK, I'd just like to jump in here with my opinion after playing GT5 for a bit:

Now.:) GT5 is incredible, it's scope is massive. It's a huge game. Unfortunately the master of nothing in particular, but wow! So much game for the money! Beautiful premium cars and tracks, not without their own problems, but let's not start on that path, as no other game at the moment can even hold a candle to GT5 in that respect, period. Fantastic driving physics, cars look so realistic in cornering and through loss of grip and weight shifting it's the best I've seen in a console game. NASCAR is actually a lot better than I thought and I suspect it will be a blast online. The AI is strange, sometimes better than GT4 or GT5P and sometimes just as bad as before. Damage, not all that good but I have heard full damage will be unlocked later (I wonder what genius came up with that bright idea). It's also the first GT with damage so perhaps we can cut PD some slack and allow them to perfect it. Same with online, as a matter of fact. Top Gear? I am a big fan and have to say it doesn't do the show justice. The replays don't have the cameras used in the show and the cars used in the show are not in the game! Missed opportunity there but I have a feeling that we'll get those rectified soon. In fact, I feel that with 2 updates already delivered, GT5 could be one of the most heavily patched games ever. That could be a very good thing. If it's an organic process that listened closely to the fans it could be GT's finest hour, after quite a shaky start...

No onto the biggest problem, (yes I have to admit I agree with you guys on this one), Standard vs. Premium. Big deal? Yes! But here is the thing. I would have been happy with the Standards with vector lines for door and things, instead of textures and all the headlights and wipers remodelled, oh and being allowed to paint and change wheels on all cars. This discussion would not even take place and GT5 would have been released a year ago with probably 1500 cars in total and 16 cars on track at all times. Why? That's how the cars in Enthusia Professional Racing were modelled. And those cars looked phenomenal for the PS2 and put GT4's car models to shame. Now these in higher resolution, (most likely the game would have run in true 1080p HD) would look as good, if not better than the cars in FM2 and even FM3 and much, much more realistic, due to GT5's superior lighting engine. The sheer content on GT5 would have owned the consoles of this generation. I see KY as a visionary, and perhaps a bit to optimistic about the power of the PS3. He started making a game that will most likely work on PS4 and then found himself in a loosing battle trying to make it work on the PS3. After all that is said and done, GT5 is still a milestone in many aspects, it just a little half-baked. If patches correct the problems and GT5 becomes a bit of a test-bed for KY on how GT6 needs to be, I'm cool with that. GT6, I feel, will be a product polished and optimized with the know-how learned from GT5, and it will most likely bring in the omitted classic GT tracks and have all cars as Premium. I think GT7, perhaps on the PS4 will finally meet or at least be very close to KY's vision.

So... We can all moan and whine but PD are knuckling down and constantly patching this mother of a driving game and learning from their mistakes. This is much more that can be said about the developer of a direct competitor I mentioned earlier, FM series. So constructive criticism, good!👍 Non-constructive whining and moaning, useless. You're either with this game series and want to improve it or want to tear it down with immature and unfounded anger. If it's the latter, your place is not here. This is my opinion. I know I may be flamed by all the fans disappointed with GT5 but these forums are in a bit of a state because of this kind of foul attitude. I don't remember GT4 release being like this and that game too, was far from perfect. I did not post then but I read the forums just the same.

This a pretty long post but I had a lot to say. I would have made a thread but apparently I'm not allowed to, yet. Otherwise I would have called it,"Are you a GT fan or not?", I would have even made a poll with yes or no choices. After all, that's why we are here on the GTPlanet!:gtpflag:

Last edited:
That's more of a review, Mr Bourner. ;) But I agree with just about all of it. GT5 is a weird experiment in trying new recipes to see what flavors people like, but in the haste to get GT5 out by Black Friday in the States, a few weird issues are coming to light. Turn off race music, and the ending celebration music is killed too?? Replays stop before the finish line?? Very odd. So is the music selection. I wish SONY would let PD patch in the tunes from Prologue, except I bet that's a big licensing hassle to redo agreements and payments to bands. But several of those tunes were just awesome. This has to be the worst soundtrack list for a GT game ever. A number of things are quite odd about this game, though to me, it's still incredible.

Anyhow, on with the Standards. I think you Standard grouchers are a bunch of case overstaters. I know about the "I can only race in cockpit view" thing, but frankly I think a good deal of that is exaggerated, just a scouche. I've spent virtually all my time in the Used (Standard) Lot because most of my coveted rides are in there. I've watched the demos on many of them, and they look and sound just dandy to me. Maybe after shooting thousands of GT4 Photo Mode pics I'm used to them, but I really dig these cars!

I know many people are still Premium Only guys, but evidently GT5 has enough going for both sides of the car divide to make us all happy. Well............ most of us anyhow. There are a few malcontents that just don't like it, period, but the vast majority of us seem content to play the game for hours.

Anyway, time for me to apply some Gran Turismo lower back therapy. :D

In my opinion quality should always have priority over quantity. what i mean is that i rather have less cars in the game(350+ cars is a good number), but all of them are premium quality, then having lots of cars that are not quite well designed.

Thanks Tenacious D.:) Do have to agree with you about the sound/music issues, but I think these are problems I'm confident KY and his team will address. He is indeed a perfectionist and I just can't see the forums and the reviewers pointing out something like that, and him ignoring it. Oh yes the back thing, I don't have time to play GT5 as much as I'd like, family see, they have knack for interfering with game time. Wouldn't mind being able to play GT5 long enough to get a back ache.:lol:

In my opinion quality should always have priority over quantity. what I mean is that i rather have less cars in the game(350+ cars is a good number), but all of them are premium quality, then having lots of cars that are not quite well designed.

All I see here is a glass half full, rather than half empty. Judging by your post, you're a glass half empty kind of guy.;) I'm joking, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at...

Last edited:
The biggest problem of standard cars is the lack of a proper hood view!!!
If they add it, we will drive them with a wheel and have a lot of fun as they were premium!

If anything they have completely different teams working on different parts of the game. They may have had too much time to work on the photo parts.....

True, but they should be able relocate budgets and staff as needed during a project.. Can't think of a software firm that doesn't.

oh and sorry if I went off topic here.

After reading all the concerns with standard I've actually begun to appreciate them a lot and drive them frequently...

you can still lower the cars, there physics are perfect, the cars react correctly, they sound pretty good, when you upgrade parts some of them change, like with turbos and flywheels... So basically they are bit lower res but still look good, they don't have all the customization but they aren't entirely static either...

and the used car lot is a meta game like Pokemon or something...

Any yes, they are not all created equal, I think the PSP imports are in fact from the PSP, not just tokens to use GT5 versions of the same car... and thats where the worst of the screenshots are surfacing from...

True, but they should be able relocate budgets and staff as needed during a project.. Can't think of a software firm that doesn't.

oh and sorry if I went off topic here.

Well no one knows what goes on at Polyphony digital but seeing how long it takes to model cars and tracks I don't think they'll be swapping duties.

The biggest problem of standard cars is the lack of a proper hood view!!! If they add it, we will drive them with a wheel and have a lot of fun as they were premium!
It's possible that part of the constant improvement Kaz is talking about is working on interiors for the Standards, or perhaps redoing the models to something resembling Prologue quality and swapping them out a bit at a time. But in the meantime, a good compromise would be to give the Standards a hood view in place of interior view. Then every car would have four views: bumper, hood, roof and chase, which should be acceptable to all.

Anyhow, supper being dealt with appropriately, time to get in some wheel time.

For Standard cars I would be happy even just with the black interior view there was in GTPSP. PD already have the data, so it shouldn't take much time to (re)include them in GT5. I still wonder why they removed them.

Would have prefered more premiums and less standards tbh and whats the point in basically duped premiums. We have 2 cappuccinos premium that absolutely no one could care less about. Then the Buggati Veyron is a standard car? WTF

For Standard cars I would be happy even just with the black interior view there was in GTPSP. PD already have the data, so it shouldn't take much time to (re)include them in GT5. I still wonder why they removed them.
Kaz mentioned that they played with it, but something wasn't working right, at least to their satisfaction. Maybe this will be one of the improvements.

I must be a complete idiot, because the only difference that I noticed between the two types of cars so far is the lack of a cockpit view and the ability to put on some exterior mods on the standard cars. Maybe my sucky TV setup isn't good enough to see the visual detail differences?

Either way, I don't understand why there are two classes other than they didn't have the time and money to do them all premium. I just want cockpit views for all the cars... I can imagine how time consuming that is.

Would have prefered more premiums and less standards tbh and whats the point in basically duped premiums. We have 2 cappuccinos premium that absolutely no one could care less about. Then the Buggati Veyron is a standard car? WTF

Well there's no way to add more premiums by dropping standards, They made as many cars as they could with the 40 or so car modelers. Less standards would not mean more premiums.

The Mazda 3 and the XFR are the only 2 standards I've never seen any were else. So at some point they made new standards.

I must be a complete idiot, because the only difference that I noticed between the two types of cars so far is the lack of a cockpit view and the ability to put on some exterior mods on the standard cars. Maybe my sucky TV setup isn't good enough to see the visual detail differences?
The C60 Pescarolo demo footage is running right now, and frankly, it looks spectacular. And sounds awesome. And of course it's a Standard. I guess there are a lot of us idiots around who think they look dandy. ;)

Before the game came out and i heard about the standard and premium cars i was disappointed but once i got the game i realised its not as bad as i first thought. Some of the standards dont look to good but tbh they are the cars i dont really care about like the yaris/vitz and other non entities that nobody should care about. On the other hand i cant get over how good some of them look so there is only a handful which are not the best but even they are not as bad as has been said. Most of it has come about due to the lack of the cockpit view which tbh does not bother me as i dont use it any way but it would still be a nice touch if all of the cars had one and they still can with updates imo.

They probably remove them because maybe the encoding in the interior of the premium cars(lighting variables and texture mapping)was incompatible with black out textures,maybe they are working on re introduce them,but with all this "critic reception" from the American public might make them pull this modification or update of the game on delay.

And something I have noticed is that most of the reviewing sites that "bash" GT5 are American or American related,I was doing some research and I found literal bashing,things like "2D trees in this gen" while Forza and shift have same elements,I think that this "critic" reception is only in the American public because they are more susceptible to the media,where MS sponsored media appears it always make thing exaggerated,in any case I'm enjoying the game so its all down of how the player will feel when they play t,and in this aspect GT5 seem to don't disappoint,specially with no "standard physics".

Lots of the better cars are Premium which is great. I generally dont keep or buy standard cars. I dont care that rim selection is limited and I sure wont care if you cant change rims on your favorite fartbox.

The 10,001st reply.

For those of you who still think Standard cars are ugly, you should head over to this thread. You might be surprised...

That's pretty much the glamourshots thread for standard cars... it's cherry picked to make them look as good as they can and not very accurate.

For instance on the first page, the Chevelle looks nice from the back and is one of the nicer looking stadards, but on the front the hood pins are completely flat and drawn onto the hood and pretty glaringly wrong.

And I have seen a lot of bad looking standards in my time with the game... some surprisingly decent ones as well... but a lot of bad ones.

Most of them look fine, and some sound the biz 👍
Some need more polys to look good like the Subarus, especially the hood scoop, and the MR2. Although I'm still gunning for a 22B :sly:

Even the Rx-7 and 350z at the end are standards and look fine.
Standards don't tend to suffer from flickery shadows either :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZGrI4q_J0

A lot of the older classics don't look bad, I did a race with all standard old cars and the replay was fine.

Although the Ford XR8 has really low res textures...

After playing the game for a while now, I can't understand where the 'you won't notice the difference while racing' attitude comes from.

I can easily tell standard from premium while overtaking a host of cars, nine times out of ten.

And not having cockpit view is probably bothering me more than ever.

I still haven't done basically anything with Photomode outside of trophy hunting because of how gimped the feature is for Standards. Pretty hard for me to not notice that.

Honestly, I could have lived with around 400 Premium cars. I don't really have a problem with the standard cars, but some definately show themselves as sub-standard. The fact is, what I could live without is 18 versions of the Mazda Miata/MX-5/Eunos and 40 versions of the Skyline, etc. Yes, GT5 has over 1000 cars, but the large number of versions for some models really make the 1000 a bit of a joke. For collectors, I suppose it is kinda cool, but it really isn't neccessary for a "Driving Simulator." I also wish the used cars didn't always show up in the same color (which they do.) The paint chip idea is lame, why is it we can only use the color once? Are we supposed to collect colors too? Colors really aren't that collectable. No photo/wheel swap for standard cars is a real let down.

I still haven't done basically anything with Photomode outside of trophy hunting because of how gimped the feature is for Standards. Pretty hard for me to not notice that.

I run into this also... photo travel is arguably the most polished portion of the game but because of my need to keep an eye on Cr for my Aspec I can't splurge on premium cars lest I miss a used car in the lot... that means I have only prize cars to take photos of and most of them aren't what I am interested in snapping shots of :(

What I have notice so far is the the worst looking standards seems to be the ones from GT3,Cars like some RUF and the Diablo seem to have lower polygons than its standards GT4 partners,and the jagged edges are really noticeable while you are racing,also it seems like the geometry in some cars like my beloved XJ220 are pretty poor,rounded eges in some cars look a bit "bloky" and in this generation is something that doesn't leave you with a good impression.

I I have to recognized some standards that looks pretty good,Lancias and Hondas looks very good as well some of the British cars,and Audis but they are not even close to the quality of the premiums,I wonder if PD will be capable to turn all standards in to premiums,it seems like a hell of a job.

Right now, my main gripe about the standards is what I have heard about Photomode (Photo travel). Wheels come in second place, right now.

That's pretty much the glamourshots thread for standard cars... it's cherry picked to make them look as good as they can and not very accurate.

I can't say I agree, They aren't really "cherry picked". The Cherry picked ones are the ones not taken in photo mode and purposely shown to reveal the ugly side. Most will take more better looking shots without even trying. You have to make an effort to get the worse out them if that's your goal. They do have their limits but they are not all the same quality. Watching them in replays is far more satisfying than these "glamour shots"

Same can be said for some premiums, if you want them to look bad you have to try to make them look bad. The standards that do look bad look that way from all angles no matter how you show it, much like Susan Boyle...

Latest Posts

Back