Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
For me a far bigger issue than looks is lack of cockpit... somehow I find the cockpit even better here than it was in GT5P (it may be because I am forcinng myself to clutch and I need the extra awareness the rear views provide to handle my new found clumsiness).

I tried driving in bumper cam mode since I only have premiums and it's just no good... I am not looking forward to my first standard and being stuck with bumper cam :(

I broke myself in gently and tried the standards first. A bit like eating steak salad and chips and saving the juicy rump until last. I feel your disappointment, there are so many standard cars I would have really appreciated having the cockpit view, but I have been learning to drive with roof cam (which turns out is really good for the rally stages). The Stratos and Rs200 would have been great with cockpits but really, I'm just grateful I get to drive them.

Of topic a little, if there is anything I could grumble about it is the Japanese centric car list, and the omission of crazy great cars like the MG Metro 6R4.

More than anything though, PD did us proud. They gave us a lot to digest. A massive amount. Just on cars alone, that's _4p_ a car 👍. The price of a couple of chew sweets. I'm amazed and I was very surprised a lot of GTP'ers were unhappy with the finished product.

Any body else own a standard Mini? Add my PSN ID and I'll race you online!

It's been said that there will be no DLC, just free updates.

I hope for free updates too.. :)

A lot of the standards look just as good as premiums, take the 62 Special for example. I had to do a double take take because the car looks damn good but yet its a standard. Both types are pretty even graphicly IMO. I came accross one car that looked like utter crap it was some 4 door concept. Looked straight out of GT4 with no hi rez, no joke. The problem isn't Premium Vs Standard. The issue is inconsistency accross the board. You can argue that some standards even look better then some premiums from what I've seen thus far.

Yes, some standard cars are pretty beautiful like Countach, Veyron, and other are "so-so", like the toyota celica.. If standard cars were a little more realistic the only difference between standard and premium is only the cockpit view...

All I have been driving is standards and maybe I'm easily pleased but my modded mini 1.3i '98 looks good to me. Wish I could body style it, but hell, the engine mods I can give it are keeping me more than happy.

I'm going to take my time with GT5. It's a massive game, and the design of it kind of forces the player to be part of a community to get the most from the game, which isn't a bad thing. It's quite a genius concept when you think about it.

Standards will hopefully be worked on over time with patches (there was a news article flying around hinting at that idea). I look forward to trying the premiums eventually, but I'm in no rush.

The game has undeniable character and if it's going to be supported long term as Kaz has hinted, I'm more than satisfied. Standards and premiums? The worst thing PD did was classify each car type. When I drive them, the classification concept doesn't enter my head.

I love my standard Mini. I love cars. We love cars! :D

Most of the cars in gran turismo i wanna drive are standard, like Renault 5 GT Turbo, Delta S4, A112 Abarth, and also the Mini :D ... If anyone don't like standard car, simply don't buy standard cars :sly:

This entire "standard" vs "Premium" concept will go down in history as THE worst idea ever for a racing game. Its just their pathetic attempt to try and cover the fact that the game is only 20% complete. They should have either left all the standard cars out of the game, or actually finished the game making them all "premium". Worst idea ever.

Well, it's the worst idea in a racing game , or in a GT game... I wanna know why in 5 years of making gran turismo, PD created only 200 premium cars... or why PD hasn't improved the standard cars....

Now i'm thinking about free updates.... If polyphony buy all rights of the 1031 cars, they can convert all the standard car in premium car and release it for free... yYeah it might take some time , but at the end maybe we will have all the 1031 car as premium cars...

I'll admit, I've already bought a few Standards. Why? To avoid putting mileage on some of my cars in some of the lower-ranked races! Or using Standard prize cars for the same reasons. I'm trying to avoid buying used cars unless it's a favourite... or has a favourite colour. Er, wait a minute... just thought about the Engine Rebuild option we have now, so maybe my fear of forever-losing precious horsepower, like in GT3 and GT4, is no longer valid. Guess the Z4M and F40 will be spinning their odometers up shortly.

An odd design decision for PD to use exclusively Premiums for the license tests and Special Events (for the user), but prize cars are predominantly Standards.

Also, you're unlikely to find a better performance bargain than the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II. It popped up in my used lot for slightly under 60000 Cr. It was less than the M3 I had just bought beside it!

They serve their purpose, much like leftovers from last night's dinner :).

What is with some "premium" vehicles having close to exact "standard" models available, but without the same features. Ex. "standard" Evo IV rally, Evo V, or Evo VI RS TME, but then there are "premium" Evo IV and Evo VI TME. Why are they different when they are all essentially the same chassis and interior. Only interior difference in real life is the color of the seats and gauges.

Gran Turismo is a quirky game, that lacks many of the components present in todays racing games. It's as if Kazunori didn't have a plan, except to improve the physics and model full interiors.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gran Turismo, but I think Kazunori needs a game designer to lay the framework for the next installment, and make Gran Turismo a better game, a better racing game.

Eventhough I`m totally satisfied with the game, I have to aggree with you. Nothing except the physics, a-spec and b-spec mode seems to be complete.
I don`t care about damage, but the damage system they gave us is pretty bad.
I like the premium car roster, eventhough it somehow lacks of varierty, but why on earth did they include standard cars. Yes, its cool because they use the same physics as premium cars. But call me any big franchise which copy pasted things comparable to standard cars from the ps2/xbox/gamecube to the ps3/360/wii without even touching them, just look at some standard race cars - the textures are so bad, its impossible to describe it.
I wouldn`t say anything if they used them as a additional feature, but standard cars are too important in gt mode (used car dealership! No Premiums, only randomly appearing standards!!!) to be called as a additional feature.
Weather needs some fine tuning and should be avaible for every track, just like the day/night stuff, in-game shadows are really bad.
Online mode seems (I haven`t tried it myself yet) to be the same crap as GT5P.
And there are more things, like missing Time-leaderbords. I`m also still searching for a function to skip b-spec races, I don`t want to watch the AI driving +10 laps.
This game just feels like an unfinished game. Just imagine that PD would have released GT5 last march. What were they doing the last 5 years?

But I also have to point out one thing, GT5 made me fall in love again with racing games like it hasn`t been for years (except F12010). The physics are so awesome, its hard to describe. Every lap is full of fun. The premium cars sound very good from chase view. Taking the MP4-12c around the Nordschleife justified the 55 euros I payed for this game.
Hm, IMO, GT5 is the best game of the series, but not because it has new features No, it improved almost every aspect that made the series so good alot!

Yeah, some standards look pretty good in motion. Raced against a Peugeot 106 rallye today and that didn't look too bad at all. Though in the same race there was a Peugeot 106 s16 that looked significantly worse. Quite how they've managed that I will never know.

Overall, I don't think the standard v premium divide is quite as bad as I was expecting. I quite like the roof cam also - always use this when driving standards.

I have driven both types as much as the other. I use the roof cam a lot anyway so thats not an issue, only really use cockpit view in like race cars and time trials etc.
I only have more premiums in my garage because I have the chromeline and stealth cars. Plus, when racing, the difference is hardly noticable. Did the GTWC and it had a mix of P's and S's, you cant tell, you can still see the drivers in the premiums, they still sound fab, they still have nice shadows and lighting.

For me at least its certainly less of an issue than it was going into the game. Thanks to the sounds, they are still fun to drive (Elise 72 is sick to drive) and you dont notice them when your racing.

Racing today I passed a Seat with horribly pixlated lights, then a Civic which I could swear was a premium but turned out not to be.

So, it turns out they didn't fix the incorrect specifications. For any of the cars (at least not for the 10 or so I've been able to see). Which is... depressing.

Racing today I passed a Seat with horribly pixlated lights, then a Civic which I could swear was a premium but turned out not to be.

Yeah, it's almost like there's two tiers within the Standards as well... it's so odd that some of them are very high quality and some are just bad... must just depend on the original source for the car in question.

I have a real problem to distinguish between standard and premium in replays. Even with close view I usually have no idea.

Consider I don't drive with cockpit view and bumper view somehow feels improved compare to Prologue, I just don't care and choose any car I want without premium/standard considerations

Yeah, it's almost like there's two tiers within the Standards as well... it's so odd that some of them are very high quality and some are just bad... must just depend on the original source for the car in question.
The really odd part is that it doesn't seem to correlate that much to whether the car debuted in GT3 or GT4, which is what I was expecting.

I'll admit, I've already bought a few Standards. Why? To avoid putting mileage on some of my cars in some of the lower-ranked races! Or using Standard prize cars for the same reasons. I'm trying to avoid buying used cars unless it's a favourite... or has a favourite colour. Er, wait a minute... just thought about the Engine Rebuild option we have now, so maybe my fear of forever-losing precious horsepower, like in GT3 and GT4, is no longer valid. Guess the Z4M and F40 will be spinning their odometers up shortly.

An odd design decision for PD to use exclusively Premiums for the license tests and Special Events (for the user), but prize cars are predominantly Standards.

Also, you're unlikely to find a better performance bargain than the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II. It popped up in my used lot for slightly under 60000 Cr. It was less than the M3 I had just bought beside it!

They serve their purpose, much like leftovers from last night's dinner :).

👍 I agree with everything you said Slip.

Am I the only one that tries to tell the difference between standards and premiums during a race? lol I gotta say though in photomode the standards look like crap, but while racing some of them look just as good as premiums.

Am I the only one that tries to tell the difference between standards and premiums during a race? lol I gotta say though in photomode the standards look like crap, but while racing some of them look just as good as premiums.

It depends on the standard car and the premium. Some standards look worse than others, while some premiums look better than others. Case in point, I have a 79 Alpine which is STD, and it way looks better than my STD Vitz or Demio.

Can the PS3 really handle a lot of premium cars on a track all at once? I think they should have come up with a list of about 300 - 400 cars, each car having a standard AND premium model. Then all of the AI opponents would be standard, but when you go to buy the car you'll always receive the premium version. In essence, you'd always be the only premium car on the track. This would probably eliminate the jagged shadows too.

A few times i honestly cant tell which is which.

Though it clear to me they are maxing out hardware on half the races/tracks.

I agree with the no cockpit on the standards. I love driving cockpit on premiums and makes driving much more satisfying but then going back to standards really sucks. My first car in-game was a '91 Civic SiR and it looked like it was from GT4. Didn't look good at all.

I found my chevelle ss in the used cars dealership and bought it without hesitation. Cost about 60k and then i put over 100k tuning it. It's a beast. Only problem is it says i can't paint the body? I thought standards were still able to be painted

So, it turns out they didn't fix the incorrect specifications. For any of the cars (at least not for the 10 or so I've been able to see). Which is... depressing.
Most Standards that in real life have automatic gearboxes, in GT5 still behave like if they have manual ones :( 👎

I hoped they'd fix this problem.

Can the PS3 really handle a lot of premium cars on a track all at once? I think they should have come up with a list of about 300 - 400 cars, each car having a standard AND premium model. Then all of the AI opponents would be standard, but when you go to buy the car you'll always receive the premium version. In essence, you'd always be the only premium car on the track. This would probably eliminate the jagged shadows too.

Basically two models for each car? A lower detailed and a higher detailed one (the original).

That'd still be 200 cars, but wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

For all the fuss this division is creating, the standards just don't seem worth it, especially if they are direct ports.

Chances are the Premium cars when driven by AI are more or less the same as a well done standard. Makes no sense to waste the extra horsepower on uselessness. Do you guys really think that the PS3 is computing the guy on the other end of the Nordschleife to the same detail as the car your driving?

TBH, I really dont care nor notice. It's no different than GT3 and GT4 to me. Sure, it sucks, but so be it. Most cars you can buy in the dealerships are premiums anyways.

Oh yeah, I forgot, it already happens - if a car is far away in the screen or out of sight completely, it's not rendered to the full model. Thing is how is damage going to be simulated on them when they get low poly?

Basically two models for each car? A lower detailed and a higher detailed one (the original).

That'd still be 200 cars, but wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

For all the fuss this division is creating, the standards just don't seem worth it, especially if they are direct ports.

No, I mean 300 - 400 premiums, and an equal number of standard AI variants that would only be seen during races since apparently the PS3 can't handle 16 premium cars on track at once.

Personally I don't agree with that one bit, but I think it depends what your priorities regarding the game are.

If graphics are the main focus then yes I can see it making a difference. However if the driving is the main focus, then its much less of an issue. My GT5 garage at present is a good 50 / 50 mix and while some of those standards are cars that I have won, a good number are also cars I have bought to drive and race.

On track the mix of standard and premium bothers me very, very little, guess I'm just fortunate that way.

One of my old cars (Primera 2.0e GT) is a standard and I just had to have that, painted it the right colour and lightly modified to match my old car and its just right. No it might not have the same visual polish of a premium model and I would love it to have a interior; none of that makes a blind bit of difference to the fact that it drives exactly how it should.

Scaff

Earlier this year I started playing Deus Ex again, last month I bought Red Faction again and last week I found myself playing GTA III again... I guess you could say that graphics don't matter to me! Although I'll admit that the premium cars are impressive, the fact that the standards don't all look amazing doesn't bother me in the slightest; if you race using the bumper cam (even in premiums) as I do that difference is also easy to overlook.

The way I see it, if you're racing in the bumper cam and spend a lot of time looking at another car, you're doing it wrong because you're supposed to be in front.

Oh and some of my favourite cars are premiums, too, if they'd included an AE86, AW11, a 22b (or Prodrive P1) and KPGC10 I'd have the lot!

Oh and I'd definitely agree with Scaff in that with GT5, possibly more than with any other game, your enjoyment of it really depends on your priorities. If you want more cars and the best physics (at least on a console, can't speak for PC sims) then GT5 is what you want. If you want all the cars to have cockpits and the same level of damage, get Forza 3.

Last edited:
Personally I don't agree with that one bit, but I think it depends what your priorities regarding the game are.

If graphics are the main focus then yes I can see it making a difference. However if the driving is the main focus, then its much less of an issue. My GT5 garage at present is a good 50 / 50 mix and while some of those standards are cars that I have won, a good number are also cars I have bought to drive and race.

On track the mix of standard and premium bothers me very, very little, guess I'm just fortunate that way.

One of my old cars (Primera 2.0e GT) is a standard and I just had to have that, painted it the right colour and lightly modified to match my old car and its just right. No it might not have the same visual polish of a premium model and I would love it to have a interior; none of that makes a blind bit of difference to the fact that it drives exactly how it should.

Scaff

👍👍 I agree. It seems like those who want to have the standard cars on track with premium want to look pretty as they drive.

The main focus of this game is to race to your hearts content not race down a catwalk and be judged on how good your vehicle looks. Personal preferences are what we all wanted with this game and now we have that still some are not happy. There are plenty things that I'm not happy about with the game but I have to try to ignore that and do what i love to do....and that is RACE.

Welcome back GT

:bowdown:

I was very skeptical of the standards but having raced against them in my Swift Sport yesterday, I can say that I'm very pleasantly surprised. While racing, it is VERY hard for me to really tell the difference between a standard and a premium. I compared my Swift to a CR-X in photo mode and standing next to one another, it is also pretty difficult to tell the difference. It only becomes apparent if you push your face right up to to the windows. You can then see the jagged edges on the standards that don't exist on the premiums. Same with the wheel arches etc but you'd have to be right up close for that to make any difference. All in all, very pleased with what PD has done.

Back