Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
Your thoughts on whether this helps or hurts the games, and your thoughts on it or how would you change it. PLEASE keep the moaning and whining out, i got over it, you should too.

I think it hurts. The premiums made the standards look more butt ugly than they naturally are and the segregation just screams half assed and unfinished.

I would much rather have had just 200 premium cars and had a second bonus game called "GT History HD" or something for the other cars... then it wouldn't feel like they are polluting GT5.

Really it's a dissapointment to be sure and all this time I have agreed with KY's motto of do it right or don't do it at all... now he does it totally wrong.

Sometimes more is not better... especially when that more is sub par. Give me a nicely cooked steak but if all you have is a dried out potato and wilted asparagus for sides, don't even put em on the plate.

It's not so bad once you calm down and take a fresh look at the standard cars. I was shocked at first, then tried to remain optimistic, then I admitted dissapointment but now I have gotten over it. I have taken a fresh look at them, they don't look that bad. Yes, the premium cars do look tons better but the standard cars still look good and I will be using them as well as the premiums. They do look better than they did in GT4, and they are very accurate, so why waste them?

PD simply didn't have enough time to model 1000 cars in HD so they modeled as many as they could then gave us better versions of GT4/GTPSP cars. I imagine these cars will be modeled fully in HD by the time GT6 is released, probably 2013-2014. Don't worry about it, you'll barely notice them when you're actually driving.

In my opinion the should have not make 200 cars with stupidly high details just to have the 80% as improved versions of GT4 cars, i would have choose 600 cars (which is a huge number still) of high detail, instead of having 200 stupidly high detailed cars and 800 stupidly low detailed cars.

Also im dissapointed of them cutting tracks locations. What they have been doing all this time and why they didnt hired a 3d design company for the other 800 cars.

I vote DLC
There should be this option.
I am happy that even 200+ cars will have full detail while 800 standard cars do not bother me.

Also I hope DLC have both, premium and standard. Because with Standard we can get more cars faster.

By the end of the day, even Standard cars look great, and both use same physics engine.

Honestly, I think people need to get over it and appreciate what they get. Polyphony could just as easily have realised that there was no way they could render the thousand cars and so decided to scrap the two hundred already in there.

You may have been looking for a dollar but found a dime instead, but that dime still has value - and it's better than nothing.

The word "Premium". It looks so sacred, doesn't it? Even the way it sounds when it's said. It's truly a magnificent word.

.....And then there's "Standard".

It's interesting that there was no where near this much forgiveness when FM3 came out with it's lower detail in race cars and occasionaly questionable interiors...

Well, I agree... Maybe more 10 years and all 1000 cars will get the cockpit view.:indiff:

Or maybe they could have hired someone to help them, after all they have spend millions of dollars in who knows what. Theres some very good 3d modelling companies out there and PD could have make the finishing touches to the 3d models instead of having us waiting 3 years of delays to give us 80% of the cars ported from GT4 with some upgrades.

Also why we need this instead of decent cockpit for another 2 cars?
photo10a.jpg

It's interesting that there was no where near this much forgiveness when FM3 came out with it's lower detail in race cars and occasionaly questionable interiors...

THANK YOU.

You have just explained why I sometimes hate the GT fandom, even though I love the game; they critisize other games like Forza for lacking some things, and then forgive GT when it posseses the same missing feature.

It's jaw-dropping.

THANK YOU.

You have just explained why I sometimes hate the GT fandom, even though I love the game; they critisize other games like Forza for lacking some things, and then forgive GT when it posseses the same missing feature.

It's jaw-dropping.

Yeah ***** fans do that too, case closed?

"More than 800 car models included standard

Go to movie page and click on the image
"Gran Turismo" with their huge number of cars included in the series, "PlayStation 3" and the current technology, what more beautiful reproduction of this car "standard" is.

The recording volume, how over 800 models. Age range, the richness of variety to choose from different categories, "Standard Car" will say the biggest attraction."

※ "Standard Car" does not correspond to the interior view."

This is straight from the Japanese web site translated. The same article

Translated from the Japaneses web site

"Premium car" would represent an attractive thing for you to reproduce at depth. Exterior (exterior) as well, especially in a high degree of repeatability in the interior if [Gran Turismo 5.

From race cars to commercial vehicles, instrument panel look different for each car, as well as seats and interior trim materials, colors ranging, thorough and reproduce.

After reading this from the Japanese website this makes me belive that standard cars interiors will not be represented 100% accurately and that premium will have down to the last stitch of detail however both with cockpits view

THANK YOU.

It's jaw-dropping.

Because Kaz didn't use the word DEFENITIVE arrogantly like Dan.

I am really concerned about the millions of gamers, who arent allday in forums and just buy the game, because they know gt5 is a good racing game.

And then they start playing. They are getting their first cars. Off course soem premium models and then a standard car come across. Ingame they try to change the view to cockpit view, because they want to see how this cool car looks inside. And then something happens. They realize that they cant see inside of that car and then they look on the game cover. Then they realize that there are 799 more cars who also wont let you see the inside. And then from :ill: to :grumpy: .

I am really concerned about the millions of gamer, who arent allday in forums and just buy the game, because they know gt5 is a good racing game.

And then they start playing. They are getting their first cars. Off course soem premium models and then a standard car come across. Ingame they try to change the view to cockpit view, because they want to see how this cool car looks inside. And then something happens. They realize that they cant see inside of that car and then they look on the game cover. Then they realize that there are 799 cars who also wont let you see the inside. And then from :ill: to :grumpy: .

You will notice everyone keeps mentioning how we will all be buing GT5 despite this... and truth is we pretty much all will. Anyone willing to sign up on this forum and participate is in deep enough they are getting GT5 (algthough possibly now waiting for a sale or used copy).

What I would think is important to remember is we are all GT fans becuse GT has a strong history of providing the content. GT4 was kind of questionable in terms of it's progress but overall we are all fans of a solid franchise.

But if the franchise falters and miss steps with GT5... chances are still there will be plenty of sales... but where it will hit home is GT6.

If GT5 isn't a heavy hitter you can be all the speculation around GT6 won't be how awesome it will be but if it can recover from GT5... and that's never a good spot to be in.

Because Kaz didn't use the word DEFENITIVE arrogantly like Dan.

....So using "The Real Driving Simulator" is not as bad as "The Definitive Racing Simulator"?

....wow. (And I'm not a GT hater, by the way; I own and love both series)

And the reason Kaz doesn't brag about GT as much as Dan does for Forza is probably because he's Japanese, and they just don't brag as much as other cultures (They prefer to be ambiguious, which is probably why Kaz seems to be so vauge in his interviews, since the Japanese don't like to give straight answers to questions).

If physics for standard cars are as good as for premium - I can use them (because of physics!).Otherwise - all supercars and race cars are premiums and its 200 of them.That's much!

The Difference is, Dan Greenawalt is arrogant, Forza 3 is good but it is far from being "definitive". Kaznouri Yamauchi is respectful, he once mentioned that he has played GT's rival games. He could have been rude, but he was always respectful when talking about them... unlike Dan & Che who took every opportunity to slate GT.

^^^ Because they knows that GT is king.If they start making a REAL DEFINITIVE racing game - they learn how to respect and love.(man changes while working hard).To be simple T10 as young teenagers.

-> I'm not really affected at all these Standard vs. Premium crap. All I can say is be thankfull for all the news the PD gave us. It is light years better than last years Translator Guy's Showtime Debut. :indiff:

-> Heck, I don't even care about that "Controversial Cockpit View Drama". Because of basic field-of-vision disparsity (ie. I don't have the PS Eye-G27-Racing Seat-3D TV combo). So there is no way I will be able to fullfill all the features of dymanic cockpit viewing experience. :indiff:

-> I'm just happy that there are more cars for me to man-handle and toss it all over GT5. Sure, I'm kinda sad about the (Nuovo) Rome Circuit and didn't include Rome Circuit '90s/Millenium/'00s, but who cares! We now have the UK Top Gear test track! Thats all that matters now. ;)

-> And also on the Premium Cars. Remember GT1 and its GT Hi-Fi feature? On where it was like an event generator/time trial debacle? It was a totaly useless system (equivalent to the drama on the GT5 Standard Cars); you're alone on the track so its basically a time attack ordeal only, it only featured night tracks only (Club-R5, SS-R5, & SS-R11), but the gameplay was fluid smooth same goes with the graphics. So it is like with Premium Cars in GT5. :sly:

-> Only time will tell on when will we get DLC in the future. :)

-> And also on the Premium Cars. Remember GT1 and its GT Hi-Fi feature? On where it was like an event generator/time trial debacle? It was a totaly useless system (equivalent to the drama on the GT5 Standard Cars); you're alone on the track so its basically a time attack ordeal only, it only featured night tracks only (Club-R5, SS-R5, & SS-R11), but the gameplay was fluid smooth same goes with the graphics. So it is like with Premium Cars in GT5. :sly:

-> Only time will tell on when will we get DLC in the future. :)

It runs at 60fps.

alucard0712-> There you go! ;)

-> Actually, I'm looking forward on playing Vision GT (aka. GT5 w/ Standard Cars). I totally had fun flogging around GTPSP, and this is what I've been waiting for! I can have GT4.5 graphics with the awesome physics of GTPSP & GT5!!! :dopey:

For me they need to make GT4.5 with upscaled tracks and standard cars (yes GT VISION) like 3 years ago.While we playing GT4.5 they can make GT5 without recycled cars, all premium.

^ That is not a bad idea!

- More/updated cars (w/ all Standard/Vision GT graphics, w/ 12,000 cars!!!!!!)
- More/updated tracks (w/ 500 tracks)
- More content
- All the traditional GT-ness like Career mode
- Most of (regular) GT5 features without the Premium feel
- Online play (with maximum of 40 cars per grid)
- Mechanical damage (like GT2)
- Day/night feature only
- The [R] is back!
- USD$ 30!!!

^ I may call it Gran Turismo: WISH LIST EDITION

-> While the REAL GT5, should feature all the spiffs and whistles!

- Car that gets voted-in by users who already plays WISH LIST EDITION
- Tracks that gets voted-in by users who already plays WISH LIST EDITION
- The [R] is gone but, with full customization!
- FULL COCKPIT VIEWS
- Full Damage/Weather/Day features
- All features that was established in WLE are included with PREMIUM graphics!!!
- USD$ 60

^ What do you think? :sly:

IMHO GT's attention to detail is both their strenght and weakness. I'm not one for fancy graphics anyway but I know alot of you are. Iracing rfactor and many more sims do not have fancy graphics their prioritys are different. Physics, force feeback and a cockpit are on the top of there lists when creating a game.

Personally I would have taken scaled back models to ensure the addition of a cockpit. I would gain more pleasure from it.
Unfortunatly for me and sone others the outcry of a GT game without mind blowing graphics would probably caused more outrage than the lack of cockpits.

I'm still definately getting this game. My only concern is how the premiums are balanced. I don't want all supercars, I would like a mix of classic, touring and ordinary as well

fingers crossed.

Back