Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
They really just need to release the game. But get on the patches right away and finish up all the cars as premium.

I personally dont care. Im just glad all these cars from past games are being included. They may be cars that were built for the PS2 but they are not the same scaled down car models used for the gameplay. Now that Ive seen more pictures I think the cars look just fine with all the new shaders the PS3 allows. Looks on par and better than other games and doesnt really stand out against premium models until you get up really close.

I know it's disappointing but just look on the bright side. I see the standard cars kinda like test mules - fully functional, but blacked out and without the new trim. All these cars will behave exactly as well as the premium cars, the difference is just a cosmetic one, and the lack of a view. They'll have high standard wheel and tyre models. Even if you don't want to drive them, at the very least, they'll give the AI/online field some variety.

For so long now many of us have been saying "Just give us the game, we don't care if it's not finished, that's what DLC is for, we just wanna play!". Now we are getting the game and PD will continue working on cars and tracks. GT5 is a foundation it's taken years to build, and you can bet they plan to build content on top of it. It's not as perfect as we'd imagined but I am still v excited about it.

In the future when GT has grown in size, we'll look back and be glad they set the bar so high with these premium cars.

I think they should keep it the same. I'm happy with 200 cars, but of course it would be nice with DLC packs afterwards.

Please, don't make them delay the game further. It would take over 10 years for them to make all cars premium.

I know it's disappointing but just look on the bright side. I see the standard cars kinda like test mules - fully functional, but blacked out and without the new trim. All these cars will behave exactly as well as the premium cars, the difference is just a cosmetic one, and the lack of a view. They'll have high standard wheel and tyre models. Even if you don't want to drive them, at the very least, they'll give the AI/online field some variety.

For so long now many of us have been saying "Just give us the game, we don't care if it's not finished, that's what DLC is for, we just wanna play!". Now we are getting the game and PD will continue working on cars and tracks. GT5 is a foundation it's taken years to build, and you can bet they plan to build content on top of it. It's not as perfect as we'd imagined but I am still v excited about it.

In the future when GT has grown in size, we'll look back and be glad they set the bar so high with these premium cars.
Well said. 👍 And yes they need to just release this game in November. Any more delays would probably add another year or 2 to complete all these cars. Just patch them as we play.

I would be happy if Polyphony Digital start to redesign the standard models into premium models. This could lead to a future DLC for GT5.

800 standart cars should be removed from GT5's car list..
Because quality difference between premium and standart models is so noticeable...
Ps2 GT4 HD
:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:
KCOCw.jpg

The problem that I have is that say, half the rally cars will be premium and half standard. It's going to be annoying switching between the two. So I hope they have say all premium in gt mode and the standard for online, arcade and time trials.

Either that or seperate garage dealers within the independent manufacturer.

I'm not too bothered with how it has turned out, the pro's massively outweight the con's.
We've got another great physics engine, we have brilliant graphical effects in other areas too - circuits, particle effects, damage, night, etc, we have a fantastic online mode by the sounds of it too.
I assume the 800 standard cars still look great from the outside, even if its not from every angle.

I never really used the cockpit view all that much, it was nice to have but not a necessary feature, at least for me. (if that is indeed the difference too).

I think PD went the right direction, focused on improving the game as a whole in many aspects rather than just making the cars look good as they have been criticised for before.

800 standart cars should be removed from GT5's car list..
Because quality difference between premium and standart models is so noticeable...
Ps2 GT4 HD
:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Why do you think they are just GT4 cars?

Delaying the game 1 or 2 years wouldn't help much. At PD's current rate we'd have 270 Premium cars in 2 years time. Lets say they double the production, that would be 340 in 2 years time.

PD should have double the staff since late 2007. Back then they would've known by the end 2009 only around 200 cars would be ready.

If they don't want to then they really should've tried to make most GT fans aware and stated GT5 is going be most likely 200 cars.

Who quoted" expect perfection"?
He should have said "expect 20% of perfection". I feel betrayed.
I will feel this way even more if the sounds we heard in the E3 trailer (especially the F430 on top gear test track) turn to be fake.
What a shame, I won't buy the collector's edition.

Delaying the game 1 or 2 years wouldn't help much. At PD's current rate we'd have 270 Premium cars in 2 years time. Lets say they double the production, that would be 340 in 2 years time.

PD should have double the staff since late 2007. Back then they would've known by the end 2009 only around 200 cars would be ready.

If they don't want to then they really should've tried to make most GT fans aware and stated GT5 is going be most likely 200 cars.

Quantity and quality do not always go hand in hand.

Honestly, I think it's a bit silly.

Would it be safe to assume that almost all of the cars in Prologue are premiums since save for a few, they all have interior views? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy a MKIV Golf in GT5, but does it really need to be a premium model?

On that note, have we only seen premium cars so far?

For example, PD makes mention of premium cars having high and low beam headlamps, while standard cars will only have one type of headlight. If the standard cars are to be substantially less detailed, would standard cars perhaps simply have headlight "Textures" instead of fully modeled headlight assemblies?

I know I'm nitpicking, but wasn't a huge deal made over things like detailed headlights and taillights? If they only feature on 200 out of 1000+ cars, what was the big deal?

Personally, I'd rather see a lower car count, with all of the cars being modeled equally (And perhaps not as meticulously as Kaz believes they should be).

Sure, I'd prefer all the models be "premium" but this isn't going to ruin the game for me. Hopefully post-release, PD work on DLC which replaces standard models with premium ones.

This is getting out of hand, not sure why all the griping still. For years we have been playing games without the cockpit view and all that...so what there are only 200 cars that can have their doors knocked off and windows busted. Dude when you get damage in a race doesn't matter you will suffer the same consequences. I personally hae my quibbles, but it's not going to stop me from enjoy the first full fledged GT title on PS3. That said, I hope to see you guys online, "premium" or standard I don't care I'm all about enjoying myself racing good drivers online.

I'm sorry but would you all prefer? 200+ Highly Detailed cars only, or 200+ highly detailed cars with 800 others to choose from with all being adapted to the new physics engine???

Guys, look. Everyone's complaining about how their not going to buy the game because of 800 cars with (yes, with) an interior view that's just like GTPSP's. Now, think about it. 200 cars with an interior that makes you feel like you are sitting in the real car is pretty extreme. They ran out of space on a Blu-ray disk. If you are still one of those bratty little children who think 800 cars with a blacked out interior is worse than the great depression, you try making a game with 1000 cars with perfectly recreated interiors, tracks that look true-to-life, and a physics engine that would make anyone feel like they're actually driving. Once you do that, then you can complain. But for now, grow up princess.

...For years we have been playing games without the cockpit view and all that...
For what it's worth, I could care less about cockpit view.

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if people weren't raising hell over this. For PD to merely touch up GT4 models to HD standards, after who knows how many years of development and touting GT5P as what to expect...I feel deceived.

Honestly, I just want the game, but all this nonsense about premium models and the differences with them raises a lot of questions. For example, if we finally get body kits/mods, will only the premium models be able to get them, since they are more detailed?

I'm sorry but would you all prefer? 200+ Highly Detailed cars only, or 200+ highly detailed cars with 800 others to choose from with all being adapted to the new physics engine???
I'd prefer about 500 cars that are equal in their level of detail.

For what it's worth, I could care less about cockpit view.

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if people weren't raising hell over this. For PD to merely touch up GT4 models to HD standards, after who knows how many years of development and touting GT5P as what to expect...I feel deceived.

Honestly, I just want the game, but all this nonsense about premium models and the differences with them raises a lot of questions. For example, if we finally get body kits/mods, will only the premium models be able to get them, since they are more detailed?

I'd prefer about 500 cars that are equal in their level of detail.

But you need to understand that was never going to happen. Forza with their lesser graphics couldn't do it.

But you need to understand that was never going to happen. Forza with their lesser graphics couldn't do it.
That's fine, then GT5P never should have happened because all it did was set us up for dissappointment.

Again, just so we're clear, this isn't me whining about interior views; I could care less.

Quantity and quality do not always go hand in hand.

This is a vague statement though. There's many excellent modelers out there. It's either that or wait till 2020 for PD to finish. A bit of awareness of what's happening in the west and some more employed in 2007 would mean we'd have at least 500 quality cars by now and perfectly acceptable with the budget and standards of today.

If you're happy with how PD have done it then by 2020 they'll have most of the cars done.

What if we have 150 Premium cars? How about only 100 Premium cars? Is 200 peoples acceptable number? 100 Premiums is not far from the figure now. Would that be good after 60million and almost 6 years?

I don't buy that too many cooks will spoil the broth. PD have known the outcome since 2007.

Anyway. I can accept PD's work rate but they really should've made it widely available that only around 200 cars will be ready.

It is no secrect that some things in GT5 development process failed bad.

-Time management
-People management to hire more if need early on
-Communication to fans have had latency of 2 years
-1000 cars thing
-Resource management as clearly some balance between standard and premium should have been used instead of last gen models and PS4 models.
-GT PSP

Good thing in the end this is still a GT game not some freaking arcade forza with steering buffer :D

Last edited:
This is getting out of hand, not sure why all the griping still. For years we have been playing games without the cockpit view and all that...
That doesn't mean we want to be without it forever, does it? We do have 200 cars with cockpit view, and they are the only ones I will drive, because cockpit view is the most realistic view there is, and I like realism. I don't wanna go back and drive GT4 cars, with GT4 looks, GT4 sounds and use bumper cam. I see no reason, but I'm glad for the guys who do.

Bumper cam is the most unrealistic thing. You're not sticking out your head in the middle of the grill while you're driving in real life, do you? ;)

I'll stick to the premium cars because they're gorgeous and have cockpit view. :)

Bumper cam is the most unrealistic thing. You're not sticking out your head in the middle of the grill while you're driving in real life, do you? ;)

I'll stick to the premium cars because they're gorgeous and have cockpit view. :)

ioq7fk.gif

GT5 "Bumper Cam" is the windscreen.

I think V8 Superstars: Next Challenge has the cam you're talking about. Very low at bumper height.

Think of it like this. By the time we get the PS4, the standard cars will be about 500 of the premium cars that will be included in the inevitable GT6. :P

To be honest i wish they didn't spend their time on NASCAR and did more WRC, F1, GP2 etc.

And we also know that they've got a weather system, they just don't know if it'll be included yet.

Back