Your worst driving habit(s):ouch:

I wanted to get the wheel etc too. Wasn't worried about my wife laughing at me. It just wouldn't of fit into the studio apt. I would be living in after she kicked me out of the house. LOL.

My girl makes fun of me enough as it is! Like I need to try and find new ways for her to bust on me!

I think with GT5, perhaps I will eventually get a wheel. I keep hearing how great the experience is and stuff. I don't know; maybe...maybe not.

being distracted by the ghost car and therefore being unable to improve lap times. espcially if the ghost car is a dark colour!

using the in car view all the time so I can't see past the car in front to the upcoming hairpin that I should already have been braking for

not braking in time and braking while trying to turn, doesn't happen all the time, but a lot of the time it does. soo annoying because i ALWAYS go off when i do that. :guilty:

My habits (though I'm working on them):

Lifting off in fast corners when driving the Formula Gran Turismo despite knowing full well I'm going to have a titanic smash (e.g 100R on Fuji 2005)

Failing to realise I'm driving Circuit de La Sarthe II until it's too late (you're too busy looking at the trees whizzing by to see the tire barriers)

Delibrately driving through the tire maze at each of the two Mulsanne chicanes because it's more fun than going round the chicane proper (though slower).

Crashing at the Nurburgring. Often. Even though I know it off by heart.

To name a few...

My habits (though I'm working on them):

Lifting off in fast corners when driving the Formula Gran Turismo despite knowing full well I'm going to have a titanic smash (e.g 100R on Fuji 2005)

Failing to realise I'm driving Circuit de La Sarthe II until it's too late (you're too busy looking at the trees whizzing by to see the tire barriers)

Ha! i've done this at Fuji more times than I can count. I'll start a race...then I'll get to the first left-turn area...then I'm like: "dammit, which track am I at? '80s or '90s???? :confused: :ouch::crazy: By the time I figure it out, the Ai is sometimes getting past me cuz I've braked in the wrong area!

My habit would be looking and driving, but my mind will be somewhere else. It leaves me open to major mistakes.. Which can happen! And because of this, I just can't seem to finish the Formula 1 races..

My habit would be looking and driving, but my mind will be somewhere else. It leaves me open to major mistakes.. Which can happen! And because of this, I just can't seem to finish the Formula 1 races..

Best way of avoiding/minimising that:

1. Play in a room that isn't too brightly lit, but is not totally dark either. Your eyes kinda zone in much more comfortably, and this also helps you concentrate in a more natural, easy way (as opposed to really having to TRY to concentrate, which never really works).

2. Try to minimise disruption and distractions, like people walking through rooms and stuff. This is of course not usually possible but you can try to position yourself so you get fewer VISUAL distractions to deal with, like things moving or visual clutter. Things like that always distract me. Fewer distractions in the outside world = fewer things for your active mind to be pondering just as you meant to brake for a hairpin. Although, of course, you can't really stop your imagination so you just have to do the best you can.

3. Get yourself as comfortable as possible. By this I mean where you don't have to think about moving yourself at all during a race. This includes things like optimising position of seat and screen, so you don't have to position your back or neck even slightly awkwardly, making sure you aren't leaning on one side more than the other and that you are supported in a comfortable-but-alert posture. Also, work out what the most relaxed way of holding the joypad is (if you use one). I just rest my hands on my legs, and when I'm really in the zone it feels like I'm not holding the pad at all.

When I'm really comfortable (ie not letting anything stimulate me into thinking about my physical position or my view of the circuit), i seem to drift into a total driving trance, where I feel completely connected to the car. This is invariably when I produce my fastest lap times!

Of course, that's what works for me....you would probably have different preferences.

Bit of a long winded response but I had 5 minutes to spare before I'm off to play football. Being able to relax and be absorbed into driving without distraction is one of the biggest things that helps me in GT. Not that I'd even get close to being as good as some people on this forum probably are!

When I get going on long straights at high speeds (example: De La Sarthe) I tend to wiggle the analog with my thumb. No idea why I do it.

I guess you're just uncertain on weather you're going straight or not. Like, if you took your thumb completely off it, you would be going in a diagonal direction. Just my opinion on why you do it.

When I get going on long straights at high speeds (example: De La Sarthe) I tend to wiggle the analog with my thumb. No idea why I do it.

Because it's a bumpy-ass straight. It's possible to lose your stability if you just space out and not correct steering occasionally. Unless you're talking about excessive (as in inappropriate) steering or throttle!

I think it starts with what Round the bend said, then like you said Parnelli, I lose stability and try to straiten myself out.

Ah, i see. Yea, it's tricky to get oriented on those straights while trying to get a good launch, especially if you've got loads of power in a rear-drive. Anybody else watch the 24 hours the other day?

@yoghurtdog: Thanks a lot for that little essay. I'm not a gamer so that stuff often doesn't occur to me. Also, good quality headphones can help both in stopping outside noise and listening to the car's engine properly.

PF
@yoghurtdog: Thanks a lot for that little essay. I'm not a gamer so that stuff often doesn't occur to me. Also, good quality headphones can help both in stopping outside noise and listening to the car's engine properly.

True, true! I forgot to menion how important being able to hear the engine and road noises are..........thx for reminding me

Anybody else watch the 24 hours the other day?

I watched it on Australian TV, and.. It was an awesome race. I can't believe peugeot did so well. For a car that isn't regarded much as a car in Australia, they sure do know how to make an LM race car. There were a few cars that had petrol problems, and almost caught fire.

Hey, I think it was one of the Domes, did you see the oil all over his front screen, and yet they were able to manage a good pit stop. Thats what I call good guess work. 👍 Unfortunately, I only saw the first 7 hours and the last 4.

From what I saw, it was a difficult race. But I enjoyed watching it.

I watched it on Australian TV, and.. It was an awesome race. I can't believe peugeot did so well. For a car that isn't regarded much as a car in Australia, they sure do know how to make an LM race car. There were a few cars that had petrol problems, and almost caught fire.

Hey, I think it was one of the Domes, did you see the oil all over his front screen, and yet they were able to manage a good pit stop. Thats what I call good guess work. 👍 Unfortunately, I only saw the first 7 hours and the last 4.

From what I saw, it was a difficult race. But I enjoyed watching it.

I enjoyed watching what I saw, too. Collectively I only saw maybe 3 hours or so. I forget who was leading GT2 class, but last I saw, there were a couple Corvettes somewhere up there. :dopey:

I enjoyed watching what I saw, too. Collectively I only saw maybe 3 hours or so. I forget who was leading GT2 class, but last I saw, there were a couple Corvettes somewhere up there. :dopey:

Parnelli answers his own question for once: :cheers: Peugeot won LMPs. Corvette won GT1 class. Porsche got GT2.

... Peugeot won LMPs. Corvette won GT1 class. Porsche got GT2.

Parnelli Bone - A quick update -

A Ferrari F430 GT from "Risi Competizione" won the GT2 class. The first Porsche ended up in 12th place in the GT2 class according to the official LeMans web site. All the Porsches got beat by the lone Spyker C8 Laviolette. Many Porsches did not finish the race, so the Ferrari's dominated in GT2. The four leading Ferrari's had a good battle, but Speed Channel just did not show enough of it.

GTsail290

Parnelli Bone - A quick update -

A Ferrari F430 GT from "Risi Competizione" won the GT2 class. The first Porsche ended up in 12th place in the GT2 class according to the official LeMans web site. All the Porsches got beat by the lone Spyker C8 Laviolette. Many Porsches did not finish the race, so the Ferrari's dominated in GT2. The four leading Ferrari's had a good battle, but Speed Channel just did not show enough of it.

GTsail290

Ah...Ferrari won GT2? I stand corrected, then.

And I'll agree with you...they never show enough of the GT1/GT2 class! :grumpy::( Watching LMPs is awesome, but I do wish they gave lesser classes more camera-time. :grumpy:

My biggest mistake would have to be in New York. After the hairpin, there is a long straight, and no matter what i do, i can't ever find a perfect braking line for the turn at the end of the straight. Its the same with the hairpin turn in Seattle course. After I get out of the hairpin and head towards the straight with the slight uphill right, i can't ever find a great place to brake. The turn goes from Wide to Narrow and you have to turn almost immediately after wards.

Back