YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,191 views
I'm not the biggest fan, but they're cheap, seem to be pretty reliable. I can live with that.

I went to the VW dealer today to see what they had; Nothing. Checked out a used BMW; Too expensive.

So, I'm going to have to poke around a while more...
 
But you could do so much better than an EP. That is like looking at 30 year-old scotch and instead settling for a Coors. Hell, look for a Prelude.
 
Yeah, I'm going to poke around for a wide variety of cars. I may even *gasp* consider a Toyota Celica... But only a GT-S. There is a black one I see everyday on my way to work, I get envious very easily.

But, my tops as of the moment:

- VW GTI (2003+, likely won't happen)
- Honda Civic Si (doesn't have to be an EP, flexible)
- Toyota Celica GT-S
- Mazda Miata
- Subaru Outback Sport --> WRX Hatch

...Although I do have a lead on a Firebird, mid-90s model, listed for $4400 on the way to work. It looks like a Formula V8, but I can't tell. I'll update when I know more...
 
^ Yo, do you still need an extra $300? PM me.

-> About the EP, it is one of the most underrated cars ever arrived in the US, and I'm not joking. The EP is dirt cheap, plus it is very god value these days because the car was just so unloved. :)
 
It was unloved for a good reason, and is inferior to the EH he was looking at. For the price an Si would go for, he could get a much better car.
 
BAD NEWS

Well, good news first:

- I was pre-approved for a loan and was told I have exceptional credit, which means I get a HUGE discount on whatever kind of car I end up getting. They quoted me at 5.55% interest for two years on $4000. Kick ass!

- Insurance was dirt-cheap, like $80 cheap. Awesome.

====

Then I called the guy to look at the car... He sold it last night around 8PM, some kid buying the car sight-unseen in cash. Full price, $4300.

EFFFFF!

Thank God.

Don't listen to Toronado. He's nuts. The EP is much better.
 
The EP is a hole in the ground compared to just about any hot hatch he can get for similar money.
 
The EP is a hole in the ground compared to just about any hot hatch he can get for similar money.

Pfft you're just mad because they didn't sell the EP in Lyons NY.
 
What it brought to the table was far less than what its predecessor brought, and it made a huge stumble at a time when other companies began to bring their A-game to the segment. Particularly the Si, but the fact that the entire range turned into a Corolla of another name for that generation is quite depressing.
That reminds me, YSSMAN, why not look for a Focus? There has to be thousands of them around there.


M5Power
Pfft you're just mad because they didn't sell the EP in Lyons NY.
There are 5 of them at my school, and only one of them is owned by someone under 40. That would be like being mad because I don't see enough Camrys every day.
 
I'm only in favor of the EP because I actually liked the way they looked, seem relatively "comfortable" while still being capable... Very GTI-like. Thing is, its an extra $4000 over other cars that I've been looking at.

2002 Honda Civic Si - $8995

SHHEP33572U301734-1.jpg


I'm not a fan of the color, but its "unique," so I'd be willing to try it. Its a bit more than what I'd really want to spend, but I can't imagine it selling easily in that shade. That, and its about 45 minutes away by highway. Not sure if I'm willing to make the trek for that...

1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe - $4995

7062262251.243779494.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg


I'm going to look at this tomorrow. Its easily within my price range, and with only 136K on the clock, its got plenty of life left. It says that it passed their inspection, which means it comes with a warranty I think, so we'll see.

==============

So, we'll see.

That reminds me, YSSMAN, why not look for a Focus? There has to be thousands of them around there.

They're hard to find with a stick it seems. I dunno. I'll keep an eye out... I'm picky when it comes to Foci.
 
/\ Slick Rick may have a twin... :scared:
 
-> YSS, I'd pick the EP, its newer, roomier and easier to park. The coupe is not as practical, the coupe's edge is the price, but see to it really well that it is in good condition, just like what you did on the EH/EG Si. :)

-> For the Miata, that tan top turned me off, and somehow I don't trust buying cars at Craigs List. :indiff:
 
EP? Eeeewwww.

Kinda the same here. I'm not debating that it's not a decent car, it's still a well-built car with a Honda engine... but if you're paying the extra cash a secondhand Honda costs, the older double-wishbone car is just so much more involving to drive. Or an old Focus. Or an old Protege. Or...
 
I sincerely hope that Formula V8 Firebird you saw wasn't my sister's old one. That thing had SO many issues, it still wasn't running 100% right when we sold it. :crazy: The thing's bad news :P
 
The Vanishing Boy
I'd pick the EP, its newer, roomier and easier to park. The coupe is not as practical,
Yes. Civic are impossible to park unless they are hatches. Besides, you could get an EK hatch that was also better than the EP.
 
I personally like the EP over the other except for that snot color.
 
Yes. Civic are impossible to park unless they are hatches. Besides, you could get an EK hatch that was also better than the EP.
The EK is only better if you are planning to tune it.

As a daily driver with a bit of power, the EP is a much better choice.
 
The EK is only better if you are planning to tune it.

As a daily driver with a bit of power, the EP is a much better choice.
Agreed. The EP is also a much higher quality car than any EK ever was, which will satisfy Brad's passion to be cool and have a new car. The car is worth the extra grand over mine because of its better quality.
 
I'm obviously not up on what the different Hondas are, so it doesn't make a lot of difference to me in the end. I do like the EK Coupes, I've always thought they looked nice. I'm really not looking to tune it, really any of them, at most maybe a set of wheels and some decent tires, and that'd be it. The problem with the EP is that its about $1500 more than what I'd want to spend, I think. I'd have to see how flexible they'd be with the price, but I'm not sure I feel like making a 45 mile trek out to the lake just to look at a car.

I'm leaving in about a half-hour to look at the green coupe, I'll let you guys know what I think when I get back...
 
UPDATE

Same thing happened on this Civic as it did with the red one. A couple showed up about four hours before me and bought the car, they were picking it up shortly after I got there. I did give the car a good look-over, and while it was in good shape overall, it was scratched up pretty bad on the front and on one of the sides. Easily could have taken $800 off the price for it. Oh well...

More Deets?

So, in a bit of a dissapointment I dropped by the local Nissan/Mazda dealer to check out a Miata they had on the lot. It was a slushbox, and as I was walking away dissapointed, I stumbled across this:

3FAFP07Z76R210586_2.jpg


Yeah, I do realize that its a Ford Fusion. But I looked inside, and I found THIS:

3FAFP07Z76R210586_12(1).jpg


A 2006 Ford Fusion SE with a stick? I HAD TO DRIVE IT.

I did, and I liked it a lot. It has 31,000 on the clock, and everything seemed to be in order. They have it stickered for $11,995 but just because I mentioned that my Dad works for Amway, they cut it to $11,500 and threw in a $300 gas card without even negotiating the price.

Problem is, its about $1500 more than what I want to spend

So, I'm not likely to make a move on it unless they cut it down more. The car has been on the lot since late February or early March, as I've driven by quite a few times and seen it there. It sounds like its becoming a lot queen, so maybe they'd be willing to cut it down a bit more. Maybe not, though. I had a look at the NADA values, what they were selling it to me for was about $100 over trade. The good news is that insurance is cheap (like $100 a month cheap), and gas isn't too bad either. Still, I'm not about to go and get it.

I may break down and head out of town a bit when I go see some friends of mine and see what I can come up with. I still have to spend under $10K, essentially, unless I can come up with a good down-payment. Its looking like with a reasonable monthly payment and reasonable insurance rates, I'm looking at an $8000 cap on something no-faster than a Civic Si or Celica GT-S.

We'll see.
 
The Fusion isn't a bad car, I drove one during the test drive period last year. Check it out for sure.
 
I like the Fusion! Stick even? WOW.
 
I thought it was a great drive, handles and rides quite well for a car that size. Had a lot more power than what I'm used to as well, happily spinning the tires on a few low-speed corners. I could easily live with it everyday, but its just a bit too much money at the moment. Its about $40 more than what I want to spend a month on a loan that would end up lasting two years longer than I'd like.
 
I thought it was a great drive, handles and rides quite well for a car that size. Had a lot more power than what I'm used to as well, happily spinning the tires on a few low-speed corners. I could easily live with it everyday, but its just a bit too much money at the moment. Its about $40 more than what I want to spend a month on a loan that would end up lasting two years longer than I'd like.

Well that's something you can't argue with.

[stupid idea]Why not check out a '95 Mustang GT. C'mon, they've got 5 liters of fury[/stupid idea]
 
On principle, I could find a Camaro/Firebird or Mustang with V8 power easily in my price range. Problem is, insurance would kill me, and gas wouldn't be great either. But otherwise, yes, in my heart-of-hearts, I'd go for it.
 
On principle, I could find a Camaro/Firebird or Mustang with V8 power easily in my price range. Problem is, insurance would kill me, and gas wouldn't be great either. But otherwise, yes, in my heart-of-hearts, I'd go for it.

You can get 20mpgs in a stick V8. And if I can get a 200 dollar a month quote as a 16 yr old male with 1 accident on record(not my fault), then it shouldn't be too bad

I know 200 is high on insurance. That's as high as you'll see.
 
Back