YSSMAN's Infinite Crisis: Blackest Night (Post #816)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 828 comments
  • 52,189 views
I forgot one thing on the 6.

mazda6_zoom.jpg
 
YSS-> On the Celica, it pretty looks suspicious, low miles on an older car doesn't sounds too assuring. Carfax the damn thing! Plus, these Celicas are pretty heavy for its size/engine ratio plus it looks cramped and claustrophobic inside. But these cars are highly reliable and well built. :)

EDIT:
-> It looks pretty clean thou, but that '666' freaks me out a bit. ;)
 
Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd too. It must have been taken care of pretty well, says its never seen snow (that'll change quick with me), but yeah the miles are pretty low for a car of that vintage. Not way off, but low. I also noticed that it really doesn't get any better fuel economy than the old Jetta did, which I find kinda odd. Actually, it may not do any better than the Camry that we already have now. Odd...

I'm probably going to go out to the dealer while they're closed today, and maybe go back tomorrow. Its about five minutes from my house.
 
Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd too. It must have been taken care of pretty well, says its never seen snow (that'll change quick with me), but yeah the miles are pretty low for a car of that vintage. Not way off, but low. I also noticed that it really doesn't get any better fuel economy than the old Jetta did, which I find kinda odd. Actually, it may not do any better than the Camry that we already have now. Odd...

I'm probably going to go out to the dealer while they're closed today, and maybe go back tomorrow. Its about five minutes from my house.

It is turbo and GT, so it probably has some shorter gears for quicker acceleration. Probly what's changing the gas
 
Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd too. It must have been taken care of pretty well, says its never seen snow (that'll change quick with me), but yeah the miles are pretty low for a car of that vintage. Not way off, but low. I also noticed that it really doesn't get any better fuel economy than the old Jetta did, which I find kinda odd. Actually, it may not do any better than the Camry that we already have now. Odd...

I'm probably going to go out to the dealer while they're closed today, and maybe go back tomorrow. Its about five minutes from my house.

I was probably just a weekend fun car for someone, probably someone older too.

Also I don't believe they were turbo charged were they?
 
It's almost 8,000 miles per year. Plus not everybody has to drive longer distances.
 
Yeah, my cousin had one and she only put 50,000 on it (I think). It was around the same year. Still I'd get a report on it too.
 
Ya 8,000 miles a year isn't bad, I think average is like 10,000.

I think you might have a winner there Brad.
 
OT-> My average is 20,000 mi./yr., I already have 54,000 mi. on my 2006 wagon. ;)

BT-> It it doesn't make much of a difference compared to your Jetta, then don't bother looking at it, told you about the engine/weight ratio. ;)
 
The nicest looking of the Celica's, but also the slowest sold in the US of all generations, basically. The GT has the 5S-FE pulled from the Camry.

Honestly, the 7th gen Celica GT-S is just so much better it would be worth paying for the 2 year newer price. More power, lighter, and a 6 speed.
 
The GT has the 5S-FE pulled from the Camry.

When I was researching it I slowly figured it out, which I thought was funny. The 5S-FE pulls hard, so I can appreciate that, especially when the Celica clocks in at nearly 2800 lbs.

I'll have to drive it, I hear it can be a bit cramped for bigger people. Thing is, I'm not that big. So, we'll see. Out of all the cars I've found for a reasonable price so far, I like it for the "hey, I never see those anymore" factor. They're going to need to work with me on the price though, I completely agree that its too high.
 
Random idea: Acura Integra sedan? Yay or Nay?
 
"Who knows anything about Celicas"

Erm, only that you should get this:
cover.jpg


Best. Toyota. Ever.
 
JCE
"Who knows anything about Celicas"

Erm, only that you should get this:
cover.jpg


Best. Toyota. Ever.

Yes, because the 22R is the greatest motor evar :rolleyes:

That and finding the old RWD ones without rust is a challenge. They're fun cars, but more of a project car these days than a daily.

Joey D
Except Brad lives about 2.5 hours from that car, he lives in Grand Rapids, not Detroit...different sides of the state.

I drove about 8 hours, one way, to get my MR2 Spyder... your point is?
 
I drove about 8 hours, one way, to get my MR2 Spyder... your point is?

I thought Brad said something about distance in one of his posts, maybe not though. But that's what made me make that statement.

Ok I'm not crazy
I'd have to see how flexible they'd be with the price, but I'm not sure I feel like making a 45 mile trek out to the lake just to look at a car.
 
The nicest looking of the Celica's, but also the slowest sold in the US of all generations, basically. The GT has the 5S-FE pulled from the Camry.

Honestly, the 7th gen Celica GT-S is just so much better it would be worth paying for the 2 year newer price. More power, lighter, and a 6 speed.
Yummy. The only reason I didn't get a local last-generation Celica GT-S is because my buddy is a technician at a Honda dealer, not a Toyota dealer. And that's it, really.
 
I personally own a 1995 Celica GT Convrt. I've had for nearly 4 years and I very few complaints.


That's my baby :D

The back seat is absolutely worthless in the convertible. A 4 year old wouldn't be able to fit back there. I test drove a hatchback, like the one it seems your looking at, and the back seat is much much bigger so that shouldn't be a problem.

Engine wise I've had zero problems. I did have to replace the brakes and calipers on the rear wheels simply from wear and tear, but that's just maintenance.


As for pros:

I get phenomenal gas mileage. I think it has roughly a 15 gallon tank and I can usually get roughly 375 miles out of it if strictly highway. 300s if city driving only.

For it's size it's huge inside. I'm 6'4" and I fit quite comfortably in it. The seat is all the way back though.

I can confirm that the manual is indeed a tad quicker than the auto. While in college a friend of mine has a '96 celica GT with a stick. We decided to go out to the middle of nowhere and have a mock drag if you will. Up until 3rd both cars were dead even but at 3rd gear he began to slowly pull away.

Overall it's definitely a car that I would recommend, especially if you don't like being the main mode of transportation with your friends. Gotta love only having one extra seat and 4 friends that want to go somewhere.

If you have any questions or anything you'd like to know about the car I would be more than happy to answer them if I can.
 
Very good! Thank you! I had assumed for the most part that it would be the typical Toyota reliable, especially given its relationship to the Camry ('95) that we already have. I'm going to wrap up my lunch here in a bit and go out to drive it (hopefully). If all goes well, I could have it as early as Wednesday. Maybe. Maybe....
 
-> ...
:odd: Single worst statement ever.
^ Whats wrong for being suspicious? We don't know if the car is flooded or any crap that has happend. I just don't buy in on a car that has low miles too much.
 
A Celica Story...

So I went down to the dealer this afternoon to give the car a look and my God is it gorgeous. For as old as it is, I couldn't find anything wrong with the car other than the missing '3' button on the radio... A $1 fix at best. Brand new Goodyear Eagle GTs, never seen snow, not even close to being old enough to need parts, I'm pretty much completely sold after the drive.

The drive?

I'd say its one of the better cars that I've driven. Sure, its no Porsche (and I've driven Porsches), but its much better than the Camry I've had for the last four months. The steering is direct, accurate, but light when it needs to be. The shifter is a short-throw unit, and matched with a light clutch, it seems like it won't take too long to get the heel-toe done right. The ride is more comfortable than I expected, although with those Goodyears, a good amount of road noise comes in... But its no big deal as it is otherwise very quiet. I was spinning 4000 RPM and didn't realize it more than once.

Having it stickered at $7995 here in the outlying area of Grand Rapids, so far, has gained little interest. They have cut it down from the origional price of $8450, but its still too high. I had mentioned that it would probably be better at $7500, but even then, I think its a bit too high. After speaking with the bank, they're only willing to give me enough to make the price of $7000 for this week. Which, from what I can tell now that this is definitely a "private sale," is still a bit high.

My plan?

I'm probably going to make the real, hard, initial offer of $6800. I really can't go any higher than $7000 as of this week. I'll probably walk away from the deal at that point. Give it another week or two, I may come back and do more after the next pay check. Or, if they're willing to work with me, I may do more right way. I dunno. They seem pretty nice, and the lady who owns it knows my Step Mother apparently. I'm shooting for $7000, but I'm willing to play ball at different prices around that neighborhood.

I'll let you guys know when I know more. But, in general, I think this is it.
 
Which Celica were you looking at? They are quite reliable and fun to drive. Just don't expect it to be fast. Only a turbo and the GT Four drivetrain would do that. They are very comfortable cars too, great for long cruises. I really like them.
 
-> ...

^ Whats wrong for being suspicious? We don't know if the car is flooded or any crap that has happend. I just don't buy in on a car that has low miles too much.

Good! Buy my car in two years while the rest of us fight for low mileage used cars!!
 
Back