Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions (Jan 27th 2017 (ENG)) | Finally, dub release.TV 

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 113 comments

How are you going to watch Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions?

• Both Japanese and Your Native Language.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Japanese Version only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Native Language only.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Not watching it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I only noticed this now.

I don't think Mai will ever return judging by how her role in Season 4 ended (not having enough courage to face Joey again).

Though it would be great to see her return and rekindle her friendship with Joey.
I think that she deserves at least brief appearance. Such a beautiful and complex character

Given that the movie is supposed to be a continuation of the manga and not the anime, and Waking the Dragons is anime-only filler, I wouldn't exactly rule out her chances of appearing again.

Given that the movie is supposed to be a continuation of the manga and not the anime, and Waking the Dragons is anime-only filler, I wouldn't exactly rule out her chances of appearing again.
Judging by the trailers, the Anime-filler actually count as we do have scenes from the Anime.

We probably won't get any reference of the filler and any character who had important roles in the filler will be cut.

Judging by the trailers, the Anime-filler actually count as we do have scenes from the Anime.
You mean like the scene where Atem returns to his world? Considering that event happened in both the anime and manga, I wouldn't take it as any indicator that the filler would be canonized.

You mean like the scene where Atem returns to his world? Considering that event happened in both the anime and manga, I wouldn't take it as any indicator that the filler would be canonized.
It'll be hard to tell if the filler is taken out of canon or not if they won't be mentioned nor if any characters are appearing. It's ARC-V all over again

Why the 🤬 are people trying to figure out FNAFs timeline when Yugiohs timeline is much harder to solve (Yugioh ARC-V has caused massive timeline debates)

It'll be hard to tell if the filler is taken out of canon or not if they won't be mentioned nor if any characters are appearing. It's ARC-V all over again

Why the 🤬 are people trying to figure out FNAFs timeline when Yugiohs timeline is much harder to solve (Yugioh ARC-V has caused massive timeline debates)

Reminds me of other series that have had this issue, like DB. It's so much easier now days. Manga is always canon and anything outside that isn't. Hell DB still makes it confusing since the new Manga isn't canon per say but the new Anime is.

Yugioh is a lot trickier to solve, not only with filler but the Anime series that come afterwards.

It's filler is really meant to tell a story that does relatively nothing for when the series gets back on track. So they could get away with Mai turning evil and not wanting to face Joey again because She never appeared in the final Manga Arc and the fact she isn't shown at all at the moment makes it seem that he writiers can't decide on what Canon they want to follow. They could easily bring her back if the movie follows the Manga snce she never turned Evil.

To add to the confusion, the series that came after Yugioh (GX, 5D's, Zexal and now ARC-V) are confirmed to be canon with the original Series especially since they'll throw you back to previous serious from time and time (minus Zexal but ARC-V has proven that Zexal is with the other Anime series). The Manga adaptations don't do that and tell a completely different story.

That's how most filler works though, it's never canon, and never meant to be a contribution to the story. Sure some people perhaps make reference to it which pushes the envelop of is it or is it not canon? I've been out of the Yugioh anime stuff for years. Last I saw of it were the first six episodes of 5D's and half of GX

That's how most filler works though, it's never canon, and never meant to be a contribution to the story. Sure some people perhaps make reference to it which pushes the envelop of is it or is it not canon? I've been out of the Yugioh anime stuff for years. Last I saw of it were the first six episodes of 5D's and half of GX
There is still no way to decide unless Mai appears in the movie and acts like the Waking of the Dragons Arc never happened.

I honestly think you are missing out some great Yugioh. Granted Zexal takes awhile (like 2 Arcs while) to actually move the plot along but when it does it does it well. ARC-V has so far been amazing so far and are now finishing off the Synchro (5D's) Dimension Arc before going to the Xyz (Zexal) Dimension Arc.

There is still no way to decide unless Mai appears in the movie and acts like the Waking of the Dragons Arc never happened.

I honestly think you are missing out some great Yugioh. Granted Zexal takes awhile (like 2 Arcs while) to actually move the plot along but when it does it does it well. ARC-V has so far been amazing so far and are now finishing off the Synchro (5D's) Dimension Arc before going to the Xyz (Zexal) Dimension Arc.

It's not like I actively decided, I'm just busy. Hell most of my shows that I watch are on standby and some have been that way for years. Probably why I stick to scanlations/manga.

So the movie comes out in 7 days in Japanese theaters.

Are people going to be watching it when the Japanese version comes to the web (like I am), or are you waiting for your native language release?

So the movie comes out in 7 days in Japanese theaters.

Are people going to be watching it when the Japanese version comes to the web (like I am), or are you waiting for your native language release?
I feel that I will be tempted to watch it in Japanese since it's just about to come out, but I'll try to restrain myself for as long as possible and wait for the 4kids dub. I managed to do that for Bonds Beyond Time, so hopefully it won't be any different this time.

I don't think 4kids is that bad (except for their current work in ARC-V). Sure they censor things but that is more because the age rating in the US wouldn't allow Children's Anime to be PG without changes. Not to mention character name changes are probably a good thing as Japanese names are much more harder to remember for English speakers.

Besides there is also the nostalgia purposes, a lot of people grew up with a dub so when they watch the 20th Anniversary, they want to watch in the Language they are used to.

I don't think 4kids is that bad (except for their current work in ARC-V). Sure they censor things but that is more because the age rating in the US wouldn't allow Children's Anime to be PG without changes. Not to mention character name changes are probably a good thing as Japanese names are much more harder to remember for English speakers.

Besides there is also the nostalgia purposes, a lot of people grew up with a dub so when they watch the 20th Anniversary, they want to watch in the Language they are used to.
Lol the story is far better. No cheesy friendship speeches, far more interesting characters. Only good thing about 4kids are voices and music. 4kids kills the.essence of anime. Because of this stupid dub, Duel Monsters is considered worse than non fully dubbed later ones. Non DM dub is far superior to any yugioh anime. Have you ever watched the sub version? It's extremely underrated.

The only character that got more interesting in the sub was Marik as he didn't want to take over the world. Everyone else kinds felt the same just that the sub characters are a bit more darker and mature which probably wouldn't be able to air on American PG TV.

I find the Friendship Speeches to be so bad that they're good, I just love how in the middle of an intense duel "FRIENDSHIP" appears.

I doubt you've seen ARC-V or Zexal II in Sub if you think DM Sub is the best. IMO, ARC-V is a fantastic story with a lot of throwbacks to previous series and not to mention keeps theorists engage with mixed messages about the Yugioh timeline. Zexal II hits you in the feels so many times during the final few episodes.

I don't even think you've seen the ARC-V dub. They literally are now running on puns now for the dub names (Zuzu Boyle, Gong Strong). Not to mention with the exception of Shay and Zuzu, the voices are at its worse, IMO.

4kids though, makes anime much more accessible to children in this generation and in the 2000's. Without the dubs of Yugioh and Pokemon. I don't think I'd ever watch Anime like Hunter x Hunter, Parasyte, Yugioh ARC-V sub.

The only character that got more interesting in the sub was Marik as he didn't want to take over the world. Everyone else kinds felt the same just that the sub characters are a bit more darker and mature which probably wouldn't be able to air on American PG TV.

I find the Friendship Speeches to be so bad that they're good, I just love how in the middle of an intense duel "FRIENDSHIP" appears.

I doubt you've seen ARC-V or Zexal II in Sub if you think DM Sub is the best. IMO, ARC-V is a fantastic story with a lot of throwbacks to previous series and not to mention keeps theorists engage with mixed messages about the Yugioh timeline. Zexal II hits you in the feels so many times during the final few episodes.

I don't even think you've seen the ARC-V dub. They literally are now running on puns now for the dub names (Zuzu Boyle, Gong Strong). Not to mention with the exception of Shay and Zuzu, the voices are at its worse, IMO.

4kids though, makes anime much more accessible to children in this generation and in the 2000's. Without the dubs of Yugioh and Pokemon. I don't think I'd ever watch Anime like Hunter x Hunter, Parasyte, Yugioh ARC-V sub.
One thing that DM has over later series is the fact that in many occasions it's not about cards. Especially season 5. I hope you didn't see yellow sub version because that sub is awful.

Anzu is way better than Tea. I liked 1st half of Zexal but 2nd is a mess and I don't have will to watch it. Dark signers arc of 5Ds was also amazing, fast paced yet later 5Ds became boring. GX has by far the best build-up, and season 4 is extraordinary. I didn't watch ARC V. Let's see if it will be the best when it ends.

Dub ruined dm. It made it passionless boring and cliched. Japanese dm is about passion, self development and also friendship. As far as I remember Anzu made way better speechs than Tea. Also Ishizu was more distanced and Mai was a lot more unique. Atmosphere of japanese version is far more interesting. Did I mention Bakura? And I especially loved Kisara which is completely different to any yugioh character.

Also I wish that we see Yugioh like season 0. Also DM needs remastering because at times animation was awful. DM has very simple atmosphere and characters are beautiful like Kisara and Mai without wierd hair. I also liked Egyptian concept of DM. Way more relatable than dimensions in Arc V.

However, if Kisara (her modern version like Yugi or Kaiba) or Osiris appear, call me.

ARC-V is still going, the cast are currently split in Heartland at the Xyz Dimension and Duel Academy at the Fusion Dimension. I honestly loved the second half of Zexal, you got a lot of detail on what is happening and you had a lot character moments with Shark and Kite/Kaito. I found the Barians to be very interesting Villains that gave me a few feels when you found their backstory. I agree with you on 5D's, even the dub of i was great IMO.

I'll admit Yugiohs hair is getting ridiculous (though Yugi was pretty bad). Even the females now have shocking hair when they usually have the most relatable hair.

I honestly liked a much more basic Tea more than a complex Anzu. Though it could be because of the Abridged Tea. Honestly the difference I got between the 2 versions in terms of atmosphere was that the Japanese version was much more darker in storytelling. That's it. I do like the openings of the Japanese version more, especially the 4th and 5th Openings.

The dimensions of ARC-V are meant to be relatable for Yugioh fans and not a general theme. Since the dimensions are based off (or even are them (it's highly debatable with Theories)) previous Yugioh Series in a massive interdimensional war, showcasing the best in each series with returning characters making appearances from GX (Alexis, Aster/Edo). 5D's (Jack, Crow, Lazar) and Zexal (Kite/Kaito). The Egyptian theme used in DM was for a more realistic tone to lure in new People to te new Series, with a massive fanbase and multiple series, ARC-V is now showing Yugioh as its own identity for the fans.

ARC-V is still going, the cast are currently split in Heartland at the Xyz Dimension and Duel Academy at the Fusion Dimension. I honestly loved the second half of Zexal, you got a lot of detail on what is happening and you had a lot character moments with Shark and Kite/Kaito. I found the Barians to be very interesting Villains that gave me a few feels when you found their backstory. I agree with you on 5D's, even the dub of i was great IMO.

I'll admit Yugiohs hair is getting ridiculous (though Yugi was pretty bad). Even the females now have shocking hair when they usually have the most relatable hair.

I honestly liked a much more basic Tea more than a complex Anzu. Though it could be because of the Abridged Tea. Honestly the difference I got between the 2 versions in terms of atmosphere was that the Japanese version was much more darker in storytelling. That's it. I do like the openings of the Japanese version more, especially the 4th and 5th Openings.

The dimensions of ARC-V are meant to be relatable for Yugioh fans and not a general theme. Since the dimensions are based off (or even are them (it's highly debatable with Theories)) previous Yugioh Series in a massive interdimensional war, showcasing the best in each series with returning characters making appearances from GX (Alexis, Aster/Edo). 5D's (Jack, Crow, Lazar) and Zexal (Kite/Kaito). The Egyptian theme used in DM was for a more realistic tone to lure in new People to te new Series, with a massive fanbase and multiple series, ARC-V is now showing Yugioh as its own identity for the fans.

Abridged points out flaws of Yugioh perfectly. That's why it's so good.

I still think that these dimensions are ways to unite fans. To keep them. Egyptian theme of DM was very different. Yugioh creator actually studied Egypt. I don't think that Egypt theme was used to attract people at least in commercial sense. It gave unique feel to anime. It made it stand out and somehow card game made sense.

Monsters were also more interesting. Also the moments when yami appears or when he tries to destroy orichalcos or when it.possesses him are timeless.

Since ARC-V is around during the Anniversary. I think it is more of a celebration Anime, by bringing the Yugioh elements together (even some plot points were carried over to ARC-V).

I honestly found the 5D's monsters to be the most interesting, especially the Signer Dragons and the Earthbound Immortals.

Have you ever watched the sub version? It's extremely underrated.
The Japanese dub is underrated? What, compared to the dub? W0t?

I literally struggle to view a dub Yu-Gi-Oh clip on YouTube without seeing some comment about how the "dub is trash" or "Japanese version is waaaaay better" etcetera etcetera.

Lol the story is far better. No cheesy friendship speeches, far more interesting characters. Only good thing about 4kids are voices and music.

Dub ruined dm. It made it passionless boring and cliched. Japanese dm is about passion, self development and also friendship. As far as I remember Anzu made way better speechs than Tea. Also Ishizu was more distanced and Mai was a lot more unique. Atmosphere of japanese version is far more interesting.

For me at least, the Japanese dub is only better than the 4kids dub in that it's got a richer story and dialogue. A lot of symbolic meaning was unfortunately taken away through the dubbing process. Much of the dialogue in 4kids Yu-Gi-Oh was either borderline moronic or stale. Yugi's need to "save the world" has been mentioned so many times it gets a little tiresome. Likewise, the idea that someone was being "evil" has been used so many times as a description of a person's motives and actions that it gets a bit boring and meaningless. Similarly, someone having been corrupted by the "darkness" has also been used so many times that it's devoid of any real meaning...

Such as:

"Your mind has been clouded by darkness!"

Yeah, not the most exciting nor the most meaningful dialogue. Doesn't exactly say much.

4kids also added dialogue to scenes which were originally silent. Sometimes this didn't matter too much, but other times, it takes away from the emotion of the characters. It's as if they feel that we are unable to interpret what a character is thinking or feeling and that they need to be more explicit about it. Silence helps to build tone and atmosphere, and unfortunately that was a dumb move on 4kids as well.

As for the censorship, that's not entirely 4kids' fault. They had to follow FCC rules if they wanted to air the show on a certain channel and time (or something like that). Incidentally, that's why the cards in the 4kids dub have all its text removed, because keeping the cards with the same format as the cards from the real life game would qualify as advertising, and that's not allowed under FCC rules. Sadly, this also came at the expense of Mai's boobs.

The concept of the "shadow realm" for me was certainly a lot more interesting than death for me too at least. Apart from the hideously terrible attempts at censoring the possibility of death (e.g. the "dark energy discs," or the 2 on 2 duel between Yugi, Kaiba, Lumis and Umbra), 4kids did a fairly bang up job of coming up with a fate for the characters that is most certainly just as unwanted as death, which is frankly quite cliched in media. The shadow realm was pretty neat in that it allowed 4kids to bypass FCC rules which forbid death, while at the same time being a lot more frightening than death, like it was spending an eternity in hell.

For me, I prefer the 4kids dub largely out of nostalgia and the fact that it's what I'm used to. I much prefer their voice actors like Dan Green as Yugi and Eric Stuart as Kaiba, and frankly I hate Kaiba's Japanese voice. I like the dub music much more as well, it makes everything sound more epic than it originally was.

The Japanese dub is underrated? What, compared to the dub? W0t?

I literally struggle to view a dub Yu-Gi-Oh clip on YouTube without seeing some comment about how the "dub is trash" or "Japanese version is waaaaay better" etcetera etcetera.

For me at least, the Japanese dub is only better than the 4kids dub in that it's got a richer story and dialogue. A lot of symbolic meaning was unfortunately taken away through the dubbing process. Much of the dialogue in 4kids Yu-Gi-Oh was either borderline moronic or stale. Yugi's need to "save the world" has been mentioned so many times it gets a little tiresome. Likewise, the idea that someone was being "evil" has been used so many times as a description of a person's motives and actions that it gets a bit boring and meaningless. Similarly, someone having been corrupted by the "darkness" has also been used so many times that it's devoid of any real meaning...

Such as:

"Your mind has been clouded by darkness!"

Yeah, not the most exciting nor the most meaningful dialogue. Doesn't exactly say much.

4kids also added dialogue to scenes which were originally silent. Sometimes this didn't matter too much, but other times, it takes away from the emotion of the characters. It's as if they feel that we are unable to interpret what a character is thinking or feeling and that they need to be more explicit about it. Silence helps to build tone and atmosphere, and unfortunately that was a dumb move on 4kids as well.

As for the censorship, that's not entirely 4kids' fault. They had to follow FCC rules if they wanted to air the show on a certain channel and time (or something like that). Incidentally, that's why the cards in the 4kids dub have all its text removed, because keeping the cards with the same format as the cards from the real life game would qualify as advertising, and that's not allowed under FCC rules. Sadly, this also came at the expense of Mai's boobs.

The concept of the "shadow realm" for me was certainly a lot more interesting than death for me too at least. Apart from the hideously terrible attempts at censoring the possibility of death (e.g. the "dark energy discs," or the 2 on 2 duel between Yugi, Kaiba, Lumis and Umbra), 4kids did a fairly bang up job of coming up with a fate for the characters that is most certainly just as unwanted as death, which is frankly quite cliched in media. The shadow realm was pretty neat in that it allowed 4kids to bypass FCC rules which forbid death, while at the same time being a lot more frightening than death, like it was spending an eternity in hell.

For me, I prefer the 4kids dub largely out of nostalgia and the fact that it's what I'm used to. I much prefer their voice actors like Dan Green as Yugi and Eric Stuart as Kaiba, and frankly I hate Kaiba's Japanese voice. I like the dub music much more as well, it makes everything sound more epic than it originally was.

That's if the English Voice Actors are coming back.

I think adding in the silent moments is mostly done because in most silent moments, the characters only spouted the character who is fighting's name, or just repeats on what is just said. This is a very annoying Anime Cliche IMO, and I'd rather have more talking.

I got to agree with you on the Shadow Realm concept. Also to add on to it is that it gave Zorc a bit more meaning and prestige being very related to the Shadow Realm.

I still prefer Japanese version, dub is so cheesy but it does some moments way better. As for.arc.V i will wait some time and when I finish zexal

I still prefer Japanese version, dub is so cheesy but it does some moments way better. As for.arc.V i will wait some time and when I finish zexal
Might not be cheesy though in some cases, Movies aren't effected by the FCC, so the dub might not be heavily cheesy. I remember the PoL and BBT not being changed as much from the Japanese in the dub especially when they used Death in a lot of terms instead of the Shadow Realm

With the Japanese Release being today something crossed my mind.

In the future (probably months after the DVD release), will LittleKuriboh abridge the movie?

I don't remember him stating any plans for a Abridge edition of the movie, though.

I've yet to watch the movie since I have to wait awhile for the sub of the Movie to actually be released

but the new Kuriboh has been confirmed called "Clear Kuriboh". I'm guessing this is the reason that there is no Kuriboh in ARC-V, which I'm kinda glad since I found all the multiple Kuriboh's used by Jaden, Luna and Yuma to be silly.

In the meantime IMDb scores has the movie at 8.8/10.
Assuming IMDB ratings are something to go for, that's a good sign. BBT was a bit boring frankly, as was Pyramid of Light.

Looking forward to the dub release. Just need to tread carefully on the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia now not to accidentally read any spoilers.

Assuming IMDB ratings are something to go for, that's a good sign. BBT was a bit boring frankly, as was Pyramid of Light.

Looking forward to the dub release. Just need to tread carefully on the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia now not to accidentally read any spoilers.
I liked Pyramid of Light up until the ending, when the Villain was revealed where the movie fell falt on its face. BBT was alright but for a movie that tried to bring the 3 Yugiohs together, GX had very little exposure and there was so many errors with the original (and not just Yugi's height). ARC-V is doing a far better job.

I hope this movie can engage me enough but it's best not to be too hype other wise you increase the risk of disappointment.

Last edited:
Back