Zenith's 1967 Mustang LS Swap

• Thread starter Zenith
  • 162 comments
Looks really really good. also yay no black rear bumper! The reason I oppose to it is because, unlike the front bumper wich looks like a separate part of the car, the rear integrates with the contour of the car specially well in that model year, so it looks really good in body color. Besides, you already have enough black in the taillight panel.

Bigger chin spoiler down the line? (:

Not disappointed in how your car looks. It's fair to say the jealousy is pretty damn high for your car, it looks incredible!

Very nice build. I'm in the process of putting a turbo 4.8 in my 67 cougar. I already converted it to AWD using parts similar to GMC Syclone. Still need to source a C4 corvette IRS to graft in.
Literally just got the car back today and took some shots.

ZXY6fVX.jpg

ksiy2i4.jpg

unCMeC9.jpg

aSjRNlv.jpg

PQboKhW.jpg

Syclone similar components. I used a 94 Olds bravada. Same parts. I'd fix a syclone

That's my point, I'd hope you wouldn't destroy a Syclone, unless it was beyond repair. Too rare for you to sacrifice. Though you're project and work sounds interesting, you should make a dedicated thread. I'm sure many of us would enjoy the build up on that.

Syclone similar components. I used a 94 Olds bravada. Same parts. I'd fix a syclone
That's my point, I'd hope you wouldn't destroy a Syclone, unless it was beyond repair. Too rare for you to sacrifice. Though you're project and work sounds interesting, you should make a dedicated thread. I'm sure many of us would enjoy the build up on that.
I'll do a dedicated thread once I get back on the cougar project. Had to halt work to put a cummins diesel in the wife's super duty truck.

Awesome thread!

As you stated above, you can get mounts for pretty much any LS swap except the vintage mustang.

Where can I get a set of those mounts?

Will someone please produce this for us vintage Mustang guys who want to take advantage of all the benefits that the LsX offers.

Thanks!

@luke87gt

Putting an LSX into a '64 1/2 to '66 (technically first gen Mustangs are '65-'70MY) would be no different really vs a '67.

Just go back and look at how this build progressed, most of the steps will apply to the earlier cars. Tubular K-Members are out there for a reasonable price, which will allow you to go with just about any engine that will fit between your shock towers.

Thought I'd make a thread for my latest project.

Some of you may have seen my car in some of the picture threads. For those who haven't, here are some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This car has been my daily driver, autocrosser, and track car for about 5 years now, and I've been grooming it to accept a higher horsepower engine since I got it.

Previous mods include:
-Reinforced chassis with subframe connectors, shock tower connectors, and seam welds at critical points.
-11" 4 piston front disc brakes
-Stiffer springs, anti roll bar, Shelby style suspension geometry, reinforced A-arms, and Koni dampers
-Ford 9 inch rear axle with a fabricated housing, 3.73 final drive and a torsen differential.
And other bits and pieces like dual exhaust and better bushings here and there.

The previous powertrain was a 289 Windsor V8 with an Edelbrock carburetor and intake. It felt like it made about 200hp and it drove the wheels through a loathsome 3 speed manual. After my recent final drive upgrade, the car was useless on the highway. Needless to say, a powertrain upgrade was in order...

The standard engine swap for a car like mine is a built 302W or 351W, maybe a 289W if you care about sticking to factory original and like revving to the moon. For those looking at modern engines, the Ford Modular 4.6L or 5.0L Coyote is the standard choice.

attachment.php

The Windsors have problems. The 302/289 is about the weight that balances the car well (~450lbs), but require expensive and non-street sensible performance parts to make the horsepower I'm looking for, especially since I desired fuel injection. Want an aluminum block? Fuel injection? more than 5.0L of diplacement? Better break out the check book.

The Modular and Coyote are huge DOHC engines. In order to fit them in the engine bay, I would have to chop out significant portions of the car and completely redo my suspension. In addition, they sit high in the engine bay and have a high center of mass which plays hell with handling and are expensive to upgrade (4 cams?! Why would you need more than 1?).

So like most people who make a spreadsheet that compares performance, cost, weight, maintenance, fuel economy, and aftermarket support, I ended up with the LS platform.

But Zenith, you're putting a Chebby in a Ferd!

I'm putting a small block V8 in place of a small block V8. The LS has more in common with the original Windsor than a Ford Modular that most people wouldn't bat an eye at. The LS is simply the best iteration of the OHV V8 that exists and the overall best engine to fit my needs.

attachment.php

The engine is an L9H out of a Yukon Denali. It's basically an L92 with better injectors, which is basically an L99 with a truck intake, which is basically an LS3 with Variable Valve Timing, slightly lower compression, and a heavier intake valve.

The engine was given an upgraded cam, better pushrods, better springs, a stock LS3 Camaro style intake, and a C5R timing chain. I anticipate it will make about 425whp which translates to about 475-500 crank to compare to factory cars. In a car weighing less than 3000lbs, it should be exciting.

attachment.php

Many people buy engines like this and remove the variable valve timing in favor of a static cam. I decided to keep the VVT because I believe in the technology and won't be running super aggressive racing cams that would be restricted by the cam phasing. Basically, there was no good reason not to.

I also installed a Stage 2 Monster Clutch with a lighter flywheel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The transmission is a freshly rebuilt "Stage 2" T56 6 speed out of a 4th F-body. It should shift better and handle upwards 550hp. With the tires I'm running, I'll be turning less than 2000rpms in 6th at 75mph for cruising up to Thunderhill. At the track, I'll be using 1st through 4th, and maybe 5th if I get really brave down the straights.

A nice thing about the LS platform is the variety of parts that will just bolt up. I swapped the oil pan to a "front sump" GTO type pan in order to clear the Mustang's steering.

In addition, the front suspension crossmember and steering was replaced with a rack and pinion kit. This kit replaces both units with a single piece that fits under the oil pan better, and should help the car around the autocross course. I sure am tired of cranking and cranking and cranking the wheel to make it change direction.

attachment.php

To mount the motor I used 4th Gen F-body "clamshell" mounts with a polymer transmission mount. Here are some pictures of the new custom mounts that will hold the powertrain in the car.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Ford motor mount points are incredibly weak on these old things. You can crush them with a wrench, nut and bolt. These motor mounts distribute the forces across several points. The engine has also been dropped and set backwards to improve weight distribution.

Old mounts for comparison... The old steering gear and crossmember are visible.

attachment.php

Here's how it sits now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next on the list is headers. This will be extremely challenging. You can buy LS swap headers for just about everything except classic Mustangs. I'll be trying some clever approaches to getting headers on this car.

I'll try to update this post with more pictures (like removing the old 289), until then let me know your thoughts and questions! :)

Where did you get the engine swap kit ? And do you know if I can use stock steering components

Latest Posts

Back