Zenith's 1967 Mustang LS Swap

• Thread starter Zenith
  • 162 comments
pick-number-3-my-lord.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys 👍

And yes the black stripes are exposed carbon. I plan to put a black pinstripe to define the stripe better. The rest of the stripes will continue in simple black over the car.

Are you dead set on repainting the car that color, or were you also looking at other colors? Also, yes on the exposed carbon.

Are you dead set on repainting the car that color, or were you also looking at other colors? Also, yes on the exposed carbon.

I'm not, but it's definitely my favorite. That's my photoshop version of Audi's Nardo Grey.

A friend of mine recommended Ford Mystichrome, unfortunately I couldn't photoshop that one.

If you've got other ideas, I'm all ears! I tend to prefer new ideas.

I'm not, but it's definitely my favorite. That's my photoshop version of Audi's Nardo Grey.

A friend of mine recommended Ford Mystichrome, unfortunately I couldn't photoshop that one.

If you've got other ideas, I'm all ears! I tend to prefer new ideas.
That does look a little better now that I got to see it on a Audi in actual sunlight. It looks like it'll be good in sunlight. Mystichrome would stand out for sure on an early Mustang like yours.

As for other colors-I'm admittedly a sucker for Ford's Grabber Blue. That's probably one of my favorite colors. Plum Crazy is another huge favorite, but there already at least here seems to be a zillion cars with that color. Harley Davidson Big Blue Pearl is another color that I like, but I can say that stuff isn't cheap at all (I'd have to ask my dad if he remembers what they said it was when he had a part of his bike Paint Matched). It's obviously not on a car, but this is at least what it looks like in sunlight (also not my dad's bike- just the first picture I found when I searched the color that wasn't insanely big).
upload_2016-4-21_15-49-37.png

I also dig Honda's Imola Orange. It's another color that seems to pop in sunlight, but I'm not sure that it'll work well with the fat bare carbon stripe idea that I and most of the others like.

That does look a little better now that I got to see it on a Audi in actual sunlight. It looks like it'll be good in sunlight. Mystichrome would stand out for sure on an early Mustang like yours.

maxresdefault.jpg

Similar color.

As for other colors-I'm admittedly a sucker for Ford's Grabber Blue. That's probably one of my favorite colors. Plum Crazy is another huge favorite, but there already at least here seems to be a zillion cars with that color.

Precisely.

Harley Davidson Big Blue Pearl is another color that I like, but I can say that stuff isn't cheap at all (I'd have to ask my dad if he remembers what they said it was when he had a part of his bike Paint Matched). It's obviously not on a car, but this is at least what it looks like in sunlight (also not my dad's bike- just the first picture I found when I searched the color that wasn't insanely big).

Yeah, I've run the blue car for about 7 years now, I'm gunna switch it up. :lol:

I also dig Honda's Imola Orange. It's another color that seems to pop in sunlight, but I'm not sure that it'll work well with the fat bare carbon stripe idea that I and most of the others like.

Black and Orange go well together, I just don't like orange. It's like scientifically proven to induce aggression or something. Also I don't find traffic cones very appealing.

I'm probably a bit late to the party, but I seem to be the only one who likes number two. Double stripes have been done to death on various cars, and that single offset stripe shows off the exposed carbon nicely.

Current progress:

Carbon fiber hood is extremely light, especially having lifted the steel one before. The carbon fiber bumper (that I forgot to take a picture of :)) can be lifted with one finger.

13664600_10154280925082649_443007515_n.jpg

The nose is fiberglass because of how difficult (read: expensive) it would be to make this part out of carbon. The headlights on '67 shelbys and '69 Mustangs are a couple inches smaller in diameter than the regular car. I've always thought that Mustangs look a bit bugeyed, so this will help.
13872622_10154280924987649_1199644431_n.jpg

In case the aluminum engine and all these carbon parts aren't getting the message across... I really, really like to remove weight off the front of this car.

13672289_10154280925137649_536293664_n.jpg

Bye bye, blue!

13664605_10154280925132649_520831815_n.jpg

13672611_10154280914442649_1728382928_n.jpg

13823593_10154280914427649_1469543411_n.jpg

13871883_10154280914437649_135550694_n.jpg

13866579_10154280914627649_1894938806_n.jpg

13664449_10154280914432649_739489441_n.jpg

And here's the Audi Nardo Grey on the junk fenders. No clear coat here, but I think this will look mean once it's done.

13866900_10154280914622649_618354199_n.jpg

----

The stripping process removed not one, but 3 or 4 coats of paint. This car started life Lime Green, then became a dark forest green, then Yellow, then the blue. The car had to be pushed from the shop for all the dust to be cleaned away twice. There was probably 50lbs of paint on the car. This is the first time in 50 years that the body's steel has seen air.

I've always had concerns that this car was a secret bondo rocket. Happily however, the only parts that were really saturated with the stuff were the front two fenders. A couple hundred dollars got me a nice reproduction. Knowing what life is like for my friends with an MGB and a 240Z, I sure am happy I picked something domestic where parts are high quality, readily available, and cheap. Other than that, there was a tiny bit of rust on the rear quarter that was fixed.

For now I need to decide a couple things:

Do I want the rear bumper painted black or body color? The rear taillight panel will be painted black like this, and the front bumper is bare carbon.

shelby-gt500-mustang-exhaust.jpg

And do I want to paint the drip rails, door handles and windshield wipers black? They are the last bits of chrome left on the car.

All badges and the antennae have been removed and filled. This car will no longer be pretending to be a Shelby.

I also added to the Camaro parts list by getting a front spoiler from a '68. Hopefully that will look something like this in the future.

NStripes.jpg

Edit:

Oh I also got some mirrors. Can you tell I like carbon fiber?

13874763_10154280960277649_141966993_n.jpg

And aerocatches. If you find my car on the street please don't open my hood and steal my engine. I didn't buy the latches with locks on them...

13650593_10154280960262649_1050357013_n.jpg

Last edited:
Another update on the status of the car...

47RZXnZ.jpg

7d4vCP1.jpg

Primered up and almost ready to go

GTP, I'm gunna ask again for opinions on a matter of taste.

Which rear bumper, black or body color? Excuse the craptastic photoshop.

h24hN4T.jpg

98N61ee.jpg

I'm leaning towards body color. I think it keeps the lines in the back clean and tiny. It also matches the grille opening looks in the front. The nice thing about black is that it will match the front bumper and look mean.

Reference pic for those who might not be able to tell where each panel ends...

IMG_5545-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Joey. The body color seems to make it seem more featureless, letting the rear bumper blend in with the rest of the back end of the car. The black adds some contrast and I think it helps compliment the carbon stripes.

Thanks for the opinions guys, here's a clip of the car doing Mustang things. No, not running into crowds of people, the other Mustang things.

With 400whp it can easily break the wheels in first, surprisingly the spring and shock combo can handle full power at any RPM in 2nd as long as the car is settled.

For the bumper I've come to agree that black looks better.

I think I'll go with the body color though, the simple reason being that I can plastidip the bumper black when I do the centers of my wheels. This way I can always go back and forth if I want and it's only 4 bolts to take the bumper off.

So you painted the bumper black? I would have opposed to it lol
I don't think the rear bumper is back on, yet.

Still, your Mustang is looking awesome, Zenith. Any plans to replace the fuel cap? I think I still see a snake on the one still on the car.

Back