Zero countersteer....A true drift or weak slide...

• Thread starter dking
  • 25 comments
Isn't a powerslide taking a corner with your side brake? I consider acellerating in a corner with your wheels in a controlled spin is a drift Countersteer or no countersteer... When racing I like no countersteer when drifting through a corner. It looks like crap in the replay, but I think it's faster than drifting with countersteer.
Just my 2 cents

What a pointless thread

But anywho , No countersteer would have to be AWD drift , so its still a drift, but of a different drivetrain, and any countersteer means MR or FR and thats obviously drifting aswell.

A powerslide is getting your fat bum out sidewides while exiting the corner, Thats what i thought anywho :crazy:

hmmm i thought that a powerslide was breaking traction of rear the wheels and using the cars forward momentum to carry you through the corner. on drifting as driftin said above just because you dont counter steer it doesnt mean you are not drifting in a mr/fr car you use counter steer to control the over-steer off the car to stop the car taking a to higher angle and thus stoping the car from spinning out thats just my understanding.

a powerslide is when u enter a corner flatten it so you slide out of the corner , a drift is were you enter and exit sideways.

Dig out dusty copies of car racing magazines from the 50s and you'll see all kinds of references to "4-wheel drift" technique, which is drifting with the front wheels pointed straight ahead (steering at dead center).

The old cars, on their skinny tires, were fastest around corners when they were drifting at a slight angle, but not enough to require any reverse steering lock being applied. They didn't have the power modern cars have, so any more of a drift angle, which would require more power to maintain, ended up slowing you down.

Back then, "drifting" meant no reverse lock. "Powersliding" meant more of an angle, requiring some reverse lock. The terminology has changed since then, with the rising popularity of the whole drifting scene.

so as long as all 4 tires are smokin its a drift ....well countersteerin looks cooler lol straight wheel drifts are weak...but fast....

Hey m8 I would suggest your own opinions section based on drifting: edit one thread of yours into a complete library for opinions or something;) It's good to see enthusiastic new members, but you've already got 3 or 4 threads about opinions dude:P

IMO going into a corner and mashing the gas after slowing too much is a powerslide....jamming the e-brake and holding it down is also a power slide. a drift is controlled, sideways, and can be done with or without counter steer. think of a power slide as being the action you see when a 16 year old ******** in a Z28 camaro smokes his open diff tire coming onto the main street by your house. his car is probably gonna whip alover and have no control

G-T-4-Fan
Hey m8 I would suggest your own opinions section based on drifting: edit one thread of yours into a complete library for opinions or something;) It's good to see enthusiastic new members, but you've already got 3 or 4 threads about opinions dude:P

Isn't that what forums are for?....sorry i'll get off this thing once i get back to xlink...and if it really didn't matter then no one wud post :sly: besides...no one else has interesting threads up...i think of it as sparking conversation...=0) just want to know what others think...sorry if it is too much for u...u seem to post in every one so far... :dunce:
sd driftin...?gt3? lol

edited by moderator: Please don't try to be slick and get around the language barrier

dking
the gt3 part since it is a gt4 forum...vid was kew

Right, but you just said was was your opinion on zero countersteer. That's a video showing incredible drifting with zero countersteer.

The version of GT or even the game shouldn't really matter if we're just talking about concept and opinion here.

In my opinion 4WD drifting or sliding or whatever you want to call it is alot easier than FD or any other drive train for that matter. I favour it alot more because you tend to need more speed to hold long drifts and because you are sliding you can put yourself on better racing lines and angles through turns. Thus having a much faster lap!!

Swift
Right, but you just said was was your opinion on zero countersteer. That's a video showing incredible drifting with zero countersteer.

The version of GT or even the game shouldn't really matter if we're just talking about concept and opinion here.
INDEED:D

I like countersteering drifts.

When you are drifting, you are countrolling the angle and direction of your car around a corner. If you are in a situation where you are drifting too fast towards the outside and are going to slide out, you can control the drift and correct your angle quickly with trottle / braking and countersteering. This is just like if you were doing big donuts around a parking lot, you'd be countersteering to accomplish it and be able to drift around in circles endlessly. Following this thought, if you consider what happens when you do a zero countersteer, you are sliding, you really are reliying on your entrance momentum and the way you set up you angle to make it through the corner in a zero countersteer slide. There is no room for correction if you hold yourself back from countersteering. When you countersteer, you are controlling/using your front tires to draw your line and that means you can actually drift the line of the corner as complete of a circle as that corner is.
Here is my point, You won't be doing donuts in a zero countersteer drift and you won't be drifting around the big circles in the test track that is in GT3 without countersteering. Countersteering equals controlled drift. You have complete control throughout the corner. I'm not saying someone that can do zero countersteering isn't doing something difficult, because I know you have to know how to approach the corner and when to get into angle and get the right line.

Another analogy is pretend launching mortors was a drifting competition, your goal is a hit a target. If you have control of the mortor after it launches and can guide it to the target, this is like a countersteered drift. If you don't have control and are just firing and hoping it hits, then it takes you precision in the launch to get the target, kinda like what zero countersteering is. With this example, I'm saying zero countersteering isn't really controlling, it more of a launch and get yourself into a 4wheel slide, limited in the turning radius once it begins.

. Thats my thoughts.

As for what a "powerslide" is, it's just that. A slide caused by power. In other words, it's a power-oversteer slide, initiated by mashing the throttle while turning and therefore breaking the back end loose and spinning the rear wheels. Using the E-brake is the exact opposite of a powerslide. Locking up the tires versus spinning the tires. Either one can be a drift, just as feinting around the entire corner is a drift. It's like the nitrous problem, in reverse. Instead of using one name to refer to everything, people use every name to refer to the same thing, when the names are more specific. Ok, I'm off the soapbox now :D

BreakerOhio
I like countersteering drifts.

When you are drifting, you are countrolling the angle and direction of your car around a corner. If you are in a situation where you are drifting too fast towards the outside and are going to slide out, you can control the drift and correct your angle quickly with trottle / braking and countersteering. This is just like if you were doing big donuts around a parking lot, you'd be countersteering to accomplish it and be able to drift around in circles endlessly. Following this thought, if you consider what happens when you do a zero countersteer, you are sliding, you really are reliying on your entrance momentum and the way you set up you angle to make it through the corner in a zero countersteer slide. There is no room for correction if you hold yourself back from countersteering. When you countersteer, you are controlling/using your front tires to draw your line and that means you can actually drift the line of the corner as complete of a circle as that corner is.
Here is my point, You won't be doing donuts in a zero countersteer drift and you won't be drifting around the big circles in the test track that is in GT3 without countersteering. Countersteering equals controlled drift. You have complete control throughout the corner. I'm not saying someone that can do zero countersteering isn't doing something difficult, because I know you have to know how to approach the corner and when to get into angle and get the right line.

Another analogy is pretend launching mortors was a drifting competition, your goal is a hit a target. If you have control of the mortor after it launches and can guide it to the target, this is like a countersteered drift. If you don't have control and are just firing and hoping it hits, then it takes you precision in the launch to get the target, kinda like what zero countersteering is. With this example, I'm saying zero countersteering isn't really controlling, it more of a launch and get yourself into a 4wheel slide, limited in the turning radius once it begins.

. Thats my thoughts.
geez....thas how i think...good ish breaker no wonder i drift with u....we ar3e on the same page

JTSnooks
As for what a "powerslide" is, it's just that. A slide caused by power. In other words, it's a power-oversteer slide, initiated by mashing the throttle while turning and therefore breaking the back end loose and spinning the rear wheels. Using the E-brake is the exact opposite of a powerslide. Locking up the tires versus spinning the tires. Either one can be a drift, just as feinting around the entire corner is a drift. It's like the nitrous problem, in reverse. Instead of using one name to refer to everything, people use every name to refer to the same thing, when the names are more specific. Ok, I'm off the soapbox now :D

Oh, so that's a powerslide... That stuff they preform in actionmovies!

A lame and unefficient way to exit a corner. Looks cool though...

I have a question.

If you were just to "powerslide" then would you still ba able to follow a line?

My personal preference has always been that a true drift means that while you are sliding, you are still following your race line even though the wheels are slipping. With an E-Brake move or just randomly sliding through a turn, your car tends to not want to turn and will just slide in a straight line with an angle to the car.

This is something I've noticed alot when using my AWD Subaru to drift versus a Sileighty. With the Sileighty you get low power weight shifted drifts that follow a precise line. With the Subaru, you can kind of just overpower it and initiate early to drift with very minimal coutersteer input. But both cars can still follow the same line the main difference is how you maintain the angle. With the Subaru you can just brake and increase the angle and when you power more it will still carry you through as long as you have enough momentum. The Sileighty needs momentum but simple braking will not change your angle. You kind of have to find the angle early and when your momentum is lost you can e-brake to continue(Thanks to the Advanced E-Braking Tec's Vid :)).

Just some input since I didn't want to start a new post so I found the one most related to what I wanted to say.

-Jet

Whether you see counter-steer or no counter-steer it is just a matter of oversteer or under or none at all..You counter so your car doesnt spin out and if you are going understeer there is no need to counter..As long as your car is sideways pulling out with no tire traction, you are drifting...

AznInfiltration
Whether you see counter-steer or no counter-steer it is just a matter of oversteer or under or none at all..You counter so your car doesnt spin out and if you are going understeer there is no need to counter..As long as your car is sideways pulling out with no tire traction, you are drifting...

so you think as long as you're slidin it doesn't matter...you call that drifting....I personally don't think you have control without a little countersteer....so if all tires are slidin sideways....I think it is just that....a slide....not a drift...just my preference..not attackin u in anyway...Drift on!...or er slide =0D

Back