Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,466 views
The photoshop or the "concept" that will probably end up being the GTP? I still think its a pretty good-looking car, not nearly as "hardcore" as the Charger, but not nearly as "subtle" as say an MKS. But I think the correct color will have a lot to do with how the car looks, not all of them working out perfectly... Then again, photos generally can't show what the thing will look like in real life.

BTW: They're making a purple one again, and that is awesome!
 
Well, at this point, I don't know what to think about the G8. The rear just isn't doing it for me. It doesn't flow with the front imho.

Honestly, I'd have to consider a Solstice as the only Pontiac I'd actually want (& that's actually behind a Sky Red Line) with the G6 GXP which is cutting it.
 
Then again, photos generally can't show what the thing will look like in real life.

Thats right, it looks better in the photo...



:sly:
 
-> Based on that pic that was provided by YSS, I'd still like these rims:

pontiac_g8_gt_show_car.jpg


^ I'd think THIS is the one of the few GM products and the only Pontiac (skip the GTO 6.0) that deserves to be in my garage. I love Aussie GM products now, just bring in the wagon GXP and I'll kick some Magnum SRT-8's butt! ;)

EDIT:
Just tried the website-> Thats stupid, they don't have the rims that I like!!! :grumpy:
 
Technically those 20" wheels were for the show car only, but they are available on the HSV products in Oz if I'm not mistaken. My guess is that the wheels will be made available on the after market, probably through GMPD, otherwise we'll probably just have to wait for the G8 GTP (with the 400 BHP LS2) a little less than a year from now.

I'm still waiting for my G8 GXP. Over 500 BHP and a six-speed manual should make it an outrageous competitor to the M5 and E63, on a budget of course...
 
I've been seeing a ton of Holdens running around here lately with M plates on them meaning they are doing some last minute testing on these cars and they even had a production model at a local dealership the other day taking orders on the thing. I really like the G8 and I hope it does well, I know my mom has already talked about getting a V6 model next year since she hates her Pacifica. I can only hope she does.
 
I hear ya. I'm trying to talk my Grandfather into skipping out on ordering a new Tahoe and just getting the G8 GT, but he seems to think that he wants AWD. Oh well, maybe once he drives one he'll decide its worth it... He nearly bought a 300C a while back, I see no reason why he wouldn't get the Pontiac. Particularly with the GM and Amway discounts taking thousands off the sticker...
 
-> Whoops one of the G8's engineers doozed off and crashed one of the production mules:

Jalopnik
According to the good folks at the Aspen Daily News, who, in between jokes about "driving excitement." manage to tell us the tale of how a Holden engineer managed to crash a tester G8 while on a test drive out in Colorado:

"Apparently a Pontiac isn't always driving excitement, even if it's the as yet unreleased 2008 G8: a "performance sedan for the truly power hungry."

The last test driver in a convoy of G8s dozed off at the wheel of one of the "muscular" new cars and drifted off Highway 82 near Independence Pass late Thursday morning, rolling about 100 feet down a steep embankment.

The driver, 41-year-old Australian General Motors engineer Rolf Glenk, was treated for minor injuries at Aspen Valley Hospital and released later that day, according to the Colorado State Patrol.

Glenk was participating in what Pontiac spokeswoman Debbie Frakes called an "engineering drive," where drivers ground check a new car's performance and determine whether it needs any last minute tweaking or engine calibration before it is released on the market.

We guess that's one less G8 with "special badging" when the G8's officially released at the beginning of 2008. [via Aspen Daily News]

2007092812146_pg1_rs_opt.jpg

image by Autoblog/Aspen Daily News

^ Well thats a bummer. :indiff:
 
The dude walked away didn't he? I wonder how many "pre-production" models get wrecked and WE never hear about it?
 
Old news, but yes, odd. I doubt its the first time a prototype has ever been wrecked like that, but odd that it happened with an Aussie behind the wheel in Colorado.

...I guess it shows how safe the G8 is before its even released?
 
Breaking News! Pontiac G8 For Less than $28K!​

Autoblog
Today in New York during what we believed would be a mundane media event, General Motors dropped a mini-bomb on us when it announced pricing for its highly anticipated rear-wheel-drive Pontiac G8 sedan. The V6 model will arrive with a base price of $27,595, while the G8 GT with a V8 will begin at $29,995. Yep, they somehow managed to get the price of the performance model below $30,000, which, considering this car is basically imported from Australia, is amazing.

The base model is of course powered by GM's excellent 3.6L V6, though the direct inject version that's available with the Cadillac CTS. Expect around 260 HP for the V6, and it's mated to a five-speed automatic. The G8 GT, meanwhile, gets the General's 6.0L V8 paired with a six-speed automatic. Sorry, there's no rowing your own boat in a Pontiac G8, as no manual transmission appears to be offered.

We're pretty impressed that GM managed to keep the base price below $28,000, and that there's only $2,400 separating the two models. Mark our words, this car will sell out, at least in its first year of production and perhaps one or two after that.

Yes sir! Its a fair bit more than a comparably equipped Dodge Charger, but I can guarantee that the quality and overall performance will be far better than that of the Chrysler product. Still, getting it this cheap is an achievement for GM to say the least, and much like Autoblog, I'm guessing that they will sell out of every single one...
 
:irked: Its late arrival for the 6M on the GT. Don't worry.
 
It all looked amazing until I saw this:

The Article
Sorry, there's no rowing your own boat in a Pontiac G8, as no manual transmission appears to be offered.

How does that work? I guess I'll have to look somewhere else for a car in this class.:indiff: Maybe GM will offer one in the GT sometime.
 
No manual is a big downer, as the manual is a lot better then the average 5L40 and 6L80.

Which V6 are you getting? The 180kw (241hp), or the 195kw (261hp) version?
 
It's actually 256hp according to the Pontiac website.
 
1) The manual will be available at a later time ONLY on the G8 GT, and presumably the later G8 GTP (read R8 Clubsport) and GXP (LS7-powered) models.

2) The V6 we get is the same LY7 found in the Cadillac CTS which is rated just shy of 260 BHP. My guess is that later on the updated DIG version will find its way into the car, however, I may be mistaken.

3) I have no official confirmation of when they're supposed to arrive in the US, but its supposed to be "soon-ish"
 
This is fantastic.

I just hope GM doesn't go and give Chevy a version that looks exactly the same. I'm talking a Enclave vs. Outlook difference. That'd be good.
 
You'd think that someone would've paid attention to my post regarding the manual... :(


The Chevy version will probably get the 3.9 Liter V6 or something with the HF and as an other option, then probably the 5.3 Liter V8 in the SS. It'll be distinctly Chevy too, probably with a HUGE dual port grille, a la Malibu.
 
You'd think that someone would've paid attention to my post regarding the manual... :(

Yes, I assumed I'd echo it... Being the resident Zeta guy and all...

The Chevy version will probably get the 3.9 Liter V6 or something with the HF and as an other option, then probably the 5.3 Liter V8 in the SS. It'll be distinctly Chevy too, probably with a HUGE dual port grille, a la Malibu.

My guess is that you are for the most part correct, although, I am uncertain over the 3.9L V6. The LY7 is becoming cheap enough where they can put it in most of their vehicles easily, so my guess is that the Pontiac may move to DIG (302 BHP) and the Chevy will solider on with the "regular" 260-ish BHP version. However, I do believe that you are correct on the V8 issue. The Chevy will probably offer two V8s, the 5.3L in the LT and LTZ models, and probably the LS2 or LS3 in the SS. Mainly just to have V8 power for the sake of having it...

...Although we're less than four months from even seeing the Impala, probably another eight to ten before they even show up on the streets (at the absolute earliest)...
 
-> Hmm, no manuals on either models for this year...oookaaay!

-> Looks like I'll have to wait for a year or two for a manual. Well thats kinda good, because at least I can see on how reliable the G8 will be in the future. So for now, the G8 is off on my "I want" list. Too bad. :indiff:
 
1) The manual will be available at a later time ONLY on the G8 GT, and presumably the later G8 GTP (read R8 Clubsport) and GXP (LS7-powered) models.

All lost confidence in this car has been restored:).
 
Depending on what you read largely tells a different story as to when the car is going to hit the streets and what options will be made available when. Car and Driver is making it out as though the G8 won't be here until February (not what I've heard or been told), but given that the Astra is set to "officially" hit the streets in January (previous was supposed to be October, as I recall...), they could be right.

My guess is that we're looking at a three month wait for the T56/M10 in the G8. But even then, it isn't as though the 6L80E is that bad anyway...
 
They are already driving around here, I saw one today on my way to work. Granted it had an M plate on it meaning it's either being driven by a magazine or a GM employee. Car looks really good in person especially at sunrise (car was blue). I say I'll see general public owned ones by Xmas...same with the Astra as well.
 
Its what I suspect, particularly for the Michigan/Illinois/Indiana/Ohio markets. We tend to get stuff a bit "early" here in Grand Rapids, as I recall a few years back, we had convertible Corvette C6s about two or three months before their "official" release.
 
I saw the VE ute today, straight from Holdens factory here in Adelaide, soon they will be everywhere.
 
I saw the VE ute today, straight from Holdens factory here in Adelaide, soon they will be everywhere.

And I saw 3 on the back of a truck going in the other direction on the freeway yesterday, must be getting delivered right now.
 
Very, very nice indeed. While it certainly isn't going to be the most quality-oriented piece out there, I'd bet a fair sum of money that its one of the best cars you can get for the money, furthermore, better than a good number of cars from GM.

I can't wait to see these cars in person, as they seem to be impressing a lot of people. But, now that Grandpa just bought a 2007 GMC Yukon SLT, I doubt he will be considering a G8 for a while...
 
I saw the VE ute today, straight from Holdens factory here in Adelaide, soon they will be everywhere.

Im yet to see the my first VE ute. How awesome is the Holden VE ute ad going on now? (The one where it shows the history of the models)
 
Back