Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,915 views
No, GM doesn't currently run it that way. In the United States, we're under these translations:

Vauxhall/Opel = Saturn

Holden = Pontiac (still unofficial, but seems that way)

Select Holden and Vauxhall/Opel products will also be sold at other companies, as current rumors suggest that the Holden Statesman/Caprice will go to Buick for the next "Roadmaster," not to mention the Holden Torana which will eventually share a basis with the Pontiac G5/G6 and Cadillac BLS.
 
Well, I have the privilege of going through the Holden production plant in Elizabeth today. On the production lines they were building Calais and SS's sedans.

The interesting part is in a section called store 6 ("pre production" or something like that) had a whole bunch of Pontiac G8's in various colours, they had numbers on the roof's. I liked the white one.

Sorry no pictures, security was pretty...... secure. No cameras allowed.ic


*EDIT* also the some of the G8's panels were covered in in those plastic covers that they use when exporting them, so they are probably destined for the US soon.
 
Thats very cool news!

The "official" release time is set for the end of the December or early January, so I'd assume that you're right. I imagine those ones with the numbers on the roof are probably destined for the press fleet at some time...
 
Just for you Brad.
dsc00882kf4.jpg


dsc00881vm3.jpg
 
w00t!

Thats looking awesome... I just don't know if we're getting the spoiler or not...

January isn't coming fast enough!!!
 
w00t!

Thats looking awesome... I just don't know if we're getting the spoiler or not...

Yeah, all the models I saw at the Holden factory did not have the rear spoiler, maybe it's a option though?
 
GM is going to have a winner on it's hands with that price. This is probably one of the more sensible things they could have done, I expect these car to just fly off the lot.
 
I'm hoping for much the same... I'm eagerly anticipating the MPG figures, I really don't think they're going to be too bad with the cylinder deactivation and the six-speed box.
 
Yikes! That is quite low!

This makes me wonder if it could be just a very limited choice of options. Maybe GM could have added a few more to make the car that much better?
 
Its more or less a case of them packaging that much in as standard equipment. There will be more GMPD and GMHP parts made available later, and it isn't as though the GTP and GXP models are that far off either. We'll see what happens...
 
Its more or less a case of them packaging that much in as standard equipment. There will be more GMPD and GMHP parts made available later, and it isn't as though the GTP and GXP models are that far off either. We'll see what happens...

That makes the $28,000 base even more amazing. I'm sure higher up and future models will be great.
 
I'm hoping for much the same... I'm eagerly anticipating the MPG figures, I really don't think they're going to be too bad with the cylinder deactivation and the six-speed box.

woot!! just in time for graduation!!
 
I could only imagine seeing a fully spec'd out G8 with a 6spd manual box + satnav + everything else possble and it still not costing you more than $38k. THAT would be a real bargain ladies and gentlemen.
 
I could only imagine seeing a fully spec'd out G8 with a 6spd manual box + satnav + everything else possble and it still not costing you more than $38k. THAT would be a real bargain ladies and gentlemen.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could walk out the door only $35k back....
 
All that performance and looks for $35k? That is a steal of epic proportions.
 
This kind of performance buy goes right along with the Evo, STI (old versions) and the Elise.
 
I could only imagine seeing a fully spec'd out G8 with a 6spd manual box + satnav + everything else possble and it still not costing you more than $38k. THAT would be a real bargain ladies and gentlemen.

All option boxes checked, $33K. I can't stress that enough! The T56/M10 shouldn't cost anything extra once that joins the options list. A similarly equipped Dodge Charger R/T should be in the $35-38K range...
 
All that performance and looks for $35k? That is a steal of epic proportions.

Not wrong, too bad we (Australians) get ripped off. :(
 
I saw two interesting things today

The new HSV R8 Ute and..... A all new unreleased VE Wagon!

I saw the wagon at a factory that was designing a cargo barrier for it.

The HSV ute had those fake lights in the tailgate that I thought Holden said they would not have.
 
Major update for American Zeta fans:

THE UTE IS HERE!

untitledhi4.png

Not an official photo​

LLN.com
Despite the high value of the Australian dollar, General Motors will reportedly sell a re-badged version of the Holden VE Commodore Ute and wagon in the U.S. GM is already planning to import 50,000 Holden VE Commodore Sedans — which will be sold here as the Pontiac G8 — but other model were in doubt due to an unfavorable exchange rate.

In a recent interview, General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz indicated that the Australian Ute could still make it to our shores, although probably not in the form of a revived Chevrolet El Camino.

"A ute is a distinct possibility, if we do the Ute…it could be the most enthusiast-positive decision to bring back the El Camino. But, you look at its lineup and Chevy has too many vehicles. Now GMC, we could see that. You look at Pontiac, in the form of a power open bed wagon, sure…as a performance centered, sports-ute," Lutz said.

The decision to import the Australian-built vehicles was made to give Pontiac a new family of performance rear-wheel drive vehicles, boosting the brand's image as GM performance division. The new wagon will give Pontiac an entrant into the sport wagon segment which is currently dominated by smaller wagons, such as the Audi A3. Dodge recently announced that it would discontinue its large sport wagon, the Magnum.

The new Pontiac Ute — which will be named the G8 ST for "Sport Truck" — will only be available with a 6.0L V8 and will sticker for about $31,000.

Barring the continued devaluation of the U.S. dollar — the Australian dollar has jumped from $.79 on the U.S. dollar in August to its current level of $.90 — both the wagon and ute derivatives of the Commodore will make it to our shores.
 
Sweet ca-.... truck. This has got to be the cheapest 6.0 liter V-8 available:tup:. However pointless it may be, I'm sure it will have everybody wondering what it is. The practically of the SSC thing mixed with the (what is that?) of, um, a ute.

I am disappointed with the name though. Not only is it a little lame compared to what GM could've done, but it also takes away from the G8 name. No longer is the G8 a car but a line of vehicles. But money says somebody will be offering El Camino rebadges somewhere.

I think my youth pastor would be disappointed.
 
Here come the Rally Stripes and El Camino Bodykits. I'm gonna start thinking that Chevrolet (Middle East) Lumina front clips are gonna become hotter import items than Silvia and Trueno/Levin front clips combined. Chevrolet Dealers may even do the conversions!

Let's see. COPO order six G8 STs, get Lumina noses in from Dubai, order El Camino and SS badges, plus Rally stripes from Original Parts Group, and we got ourselves the truck Pontiac dealers couldn't move...

I mean, hell, kill off the Colorado Xtreme to make room. Strike that. Kill off the entire (2wd at least) Colorado range.

Sweet! An El Camino! that's, like, the Cadillac of cars, man! - Earl Hickey
 
G8ST looks awesome. If I could afford a $31,000 vehicle, I'd buy it for sure.
 
That, is just pure brilliance right there. I would LOVE to have that GT ST, that's the coolest thing I've seen since the introduction to the Camaro concept from GM. And you (YSS) didn't think the G8 could get any better...BAM a Ute says it all. I'd much rather have the Ute than the Saloon.
 
Hold great price batman!
 
Holy bargain indeed, Batman! I'd say GM is on to something.
 
I think my only reservation is over the fact that its a truck, coming from Pontiac. Sure, they had that Catalina thingamajig back in the early days of the El Camino, but it still feels odd.

Assuming that there is enough of a market (I think there is in the United States), my guess is that this can be really popular. Maybe it will entice Ford to bring over their Falcon Ute (or something similar) and call it the Ranchero... That would be awesome!

Considering that this will be offered ONLY with the V8 and presumably with a choice of the six-speed auto or six-speed manual, they shouldn't have too much of a problem moving them from the dealers (I'd suspect only 5000 make it across the Pacific a year, given the 30K numbers for the G8 overall).

...Now we just need the completely official confirmation that the "G8X" is coming over (ie, the Commodore Sportwagon)...
 
YSSMAN
...Now we just need the completely official confirmation that the "G8X" is coming over (ie, the Commodore Sportwagon)...

You don't want it....






...you want this.
dsc00910sa5.jpg


Apparently it will be at the Melbourne Motor Show at the start of next year. With a release soon after. I might scan the whole page later today if I can bebothered, so probably not unless anyone wants to read it?
 
Back