Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,919 views
Very, very nice indeed. While it certainly isn't going to be the most quality-oriented piece out there, I'd bet a fair sum of money that its one of the best cars you can get for the money, furthermore, better than a good number of cars from GM.

Well put. it isn't any work of designing masterpiece, but it certainly is something I probably wouldn't mind living with. And considering you pay $30,000 for it, that only makes it seem better.

I can't wait to see these cars in person, as they seem to be impressing a lot of people. But, now that Grandpa just bought a 2007 GMC Yukon SLT, I doubt he will be considering a G8 for a while...

I'm going to try to make it out to either NAIAS or Chicago this winter. Hopefully it will be there. I really am curious about this car. This is a car I really want to see in person.

And those gauges are incredibly hard to read as-is. My guess is that they will have either a very red or a blue light up when the car is running.
 
The gauges, being that it is a Pontiac, should be red. All of the lights inside the car, should, be red.

They should be on dealer lots within the next few months. Given that you're now in Pontiac-country with Joey and I, we're likely to see them before quite a few people in this country...
 
They should be on dealer lots within the next few months. Given that you're now in Pontiac-country with Joey and I, we're likely to see them before quite a few people in this country...

Now I just need a way to get off of these two blocks we call Hope College. Although I'm sure they will be running around here long before back home or wherever.
 
Come into Grand Rapids (if you can), my guess is that Todd Wenzel will have them a month or so early...
 
BIG DEBUT DAY!

Check out the new VE Commodore Sportwagon!

vesportwagon09al3.jpg


vesportwagon13ue7.jpg


vesportwagon10hf2.jpg


vesportwagon27ew8.jpg


I pray to the automotive Gods that GM decides to bring this one to America as a Pontiac! This car kicks ass, no iffs ands or butts about it (yes, Azure, the WRX/STi wagon still sucks)!

The HSV Maloo (Ute) and 20th Anniversary R8 Clubsport Debut!

hsveseries2007.thumbnail.jpg


hsveseriesrear2007.thumbnail.jpg


clubsportR804_L_700.jpg


clubsportR803_L_700.jpg


Yes!

If we are to get an El Camino SS, that should be it... And my guess is that the Clubsport R8 will become the G8 GTP. Awesome stuff down there in Oz, I'm so happy that we're finally getting their products here!
​
 
GM would be dumb not to make a G8 Estate...that looks about one hundred million times cooler then the Magnum.
 
GM would be dumb not to make a G8 Estate...that looks about one hundred million times cooler then the Magnum.


QFT. One of the most handsome cars in a long time.
 
abadabbuugbubuahbuhdabbbuguguhubba.. :drool:

WANT. Dude.. I'll take that in any form. Buick, Chevy, Pontiac, Even a Saturn.

Ranger Rick, If you do not bring that car hither to Americaland, you should be fired.

EDIT:

LOOK AT THE INTERIOR!!!!

:eek:

I've only seen the back seats, but I like what I see.
 
ooohhh. Me likey.

All three sound totally awesome. BRING THEM HERE.

They will be great competition to the Magnum, Charger SRT and the anti-cool (with the Ute) people.
 
Man Holden can make some sweeeeeet looking cars. 👍
 
BIG DEBUT DAY!

If we are to get an El Camino SS, that should be it... And my guess is that the Clubsport R8 will become the G8 GTP. Awesome stuff down there in Oz, I'm so happy that we're finally getting their products here!
​

Hey they gonna make a car named after us (GTP) hehe. This Sportwagon looks stunning, Id like to see a HSV version of this. But it looks kinda like a 300C though.
 
But it looks kinda like a 300C though.
And that's a bad thing? Or you just saying?
When the wagon is in showrooms I'll take one for a test drive. Tis worthy 👍

EDIT: I HATE the look of the Maloo's tailgate. Over the top enough with the numberplate, let alone the lights :(
 
EDIT: I HATE the look of the Maloo's tailgate. Over the top enough with the numberplate, let alone the lights :(

I think I read in MOTOR they're not actually lights on the tailgate of the Maloo. They're just...other stuff....(I'll go get it and update this post in a few hours once I'm done with something)
 
-> This is teh sex:

vesportwagon10hf2.jpg


^ Now thats what I'm talking about, the sedan variant is pointless compared to this.

-> And:

hsveseriesrear2007.thumbnail.jpg


^ Eat that Dodge Ram SRT-10!
 
I do hope that they do bring the "G8 Estate" over, but as of right now, I don't recall reading anything on GMI to allude to that fact. But, the GMI guys are going crazy over it, which is a good thing, since we already know Bob Lutz is a big fan of the forum.

Here is a new photoshop someone cooked up:

vesportwagongj1.jpg


Nice with the Torana-style front end! I'm still waiting for the G8-conversion art...

===

Its got a lot of positive buzz, so heres to hoping for the best! I'm thinking taking the GT version, preferably in Ka-Pow Blue with a grey leather interior, with a stick and 19" wheels.
 
I do hope that they do bring the "G8 Estate" over, but as of right now, I don't recall reading anything on GMI to allude to that fact. But, the GMI guys are going crazy over it, which is a good thing, since we already know Bob Lutz is a big fan of the forum.

Here is a new photoshop someone cooked up:

vesportwagongj1.jpg


Nice with the Torana-style front end! I'm still waiting for the G8-conversion art...

===


Ah thats awful, looks like a Focus (not saying the focus is awful btw).
 
How about a Buick verison?

buick_lacross_wagon.jpg


Autoblog
CWW Automobile Design, purveyor of interesting Photochoppery, has served up a good one in the mythical Buick LaCrosse station wagon you see above. By melding an Enclave-style roofline and glass profile with the existing sedan's bodywork, an admittedly attractive family truckster is born. Hell, I've never been a big fan of the LaCrosse's styling, but the updated face is growing on me lately, and as a wagon fan and driver, I'd give something like this a long hard look. I definitely prefer this make-believe machine to the 4-door. Of course, with the unveiling of the Holden Commodore Sportwagon yesterday in Sydney, I can think of an even better idea. Buick-ize that puppy, dust off one of the old nameplates, and send it here as an Electra or Roadmaster wagon. Who's with me?
 
vesportwagon13ue7.jpg


Great looking estate (best looking estate ever?) - i'll have mine in VXR trim with a side order of optional supercharger - and hold the RS6/M5 Touring ;)
 
Wow! Lots of Estates! Can only be good. As for the Buick, It's a wagon!! That makes it automatically cool, but probably not nearly as cool as the other Estates out there.

And that Commodore profile is awesome! Such a great shape! But I think the RS6 has captured my imagination.
 
Ah thats awful, looks like a Focus (not saying the focus is awful btw).
+1! The Torana front doesn't suit the Commodore. And yeah I guess the Focus is OK too............:scared:

It'd be interesting to see how much of this "production based concept vehicle" is changed before the production model is ticked off. Reckon a ride height change is the only thing Holden will change.
 
How about a Buick verison?

buick_lacross_wagon.jpg

Unfortunately its too-little too-late, given that the LaCrosse will be dead after the end of this year (or shortly thereafter). The switch to the Epsilon II chassis may facilitate the production of a wagon (given that it shares its base with the next-generation Saab 9-3, Opel Vectra, etc), but whether or not GM will do it in the Buick brand is up in the air... Then again, we're still waiting to see if Buick gets a Zeta car, and if that is the case, my guess is that it would be Statesman-sized, and may not get a wagon version.

But either way, that photo-chop is bad-ass...
 
-> The 'chop looks good:

buick_lacross_wagon.jpg


^ But I would kill GM if they release that over the Commodore Sportwagon. :grumpy:
 
Camaro Update!

Autoblog
In his latest missive on the Fastlane Blog, GM car czar Bob Lutz checks in after a trip to Australia during which he sampled several new Pontiac G8s (he called the Ponchos "fabulous"), the Buick Park Avenue destined for China, and the Daewoo Veritas, another Holden sedan export. Oh, he also drove other development stuff that's in the hopper, including the Camaro development prototype. Lutz said that the car, despite being covered in a spy-photog-unfriendly black-and-white camo pattern, looked "as awesome as the concept" and that its power, sound and braking ability were completely in line with his lofty expectations. (That sound you hear is Brenda Priddy boarding a Qantas 747 to Oz.)

He describes the interior as being "remarkable" as well. We recently saw a GM video put together by the design group, in which a simulation of the Camaro startup process is shown from inside the car's passenger cabin. (It was not an actual car, but a super-high-quality computer simulation). If the interior shown in that video is indeed what's in store for the production Camaro, Lutz's use of "remarkable" is not at all out of line, and we'll all be yammering about it endlessly come January. According to Lutz's post, the Camaro is intended to be "the finest car in its class, ever." He's not doing or saying anything to temper our expectations, and based on what we've seen and heard on our own so far, there's no reason for him to do so.

And directly from Bob:

Bob Lutz
I just completed one of my better business trips! It was to Australia, always a favorite destination. Beautiful country and nice people… and also, happily, home of Holden and the internationally sourced product development team working on our global rear-wheel-drive cars.

I have never experienced an automotive company, including my three years at BMW, that has so much passion for excellence and dedication to the product. It’s contagious. Oz is a nation where the “car-guys” (both genders) rule, at least at Holden. I just love the palpable air of the "we want to win" spirit that this team exudes.

We drove cars on their ride road which, strangely, bears a lot of resemblance to a racing circuit. We sampled G8s in various states of tune, and they were fabulous. We drove the Daewoo Veritas and the Chinese Buick Park Avenue, both large, ultra-lux executive transports created by the global rear wheel drive team. And we also drove..."other things in the rear drive hopper."

One I can sort of talk about is the Camaro. We had the first fully representative prototype with close to final surfaces standing at track side. It looked as awesome as the concept, and the blotchy black/white camo scheme could not destroy the great stance and proportion. The body fits were already better than what came off the line a few years ago. The interior had some hand-made plastic parts and showed some gaps, but was remarkable for the first car.

I got to drive it first, not only because “rank has its privileges,” but because I didn't want anyone stuffing it into a barrier before I got to drive.

Twisting the key produced a muted rumble from the big V8. We pulled away smoothly in the first cog of the new, slick, six-speed manual. Depressing the accelerator shifted the world into fast forward, with three or four more quick upshifts. The car had just been completed and had had no tuning or finessing. But I loved the response, the sound, the steering and the brakes. There's more work to be done, for sure, and the group knows it. They still have time for further development. The goal of the team led by Gene Stefanyshyn is to produce the finest car in its class, ever. Do I think they will get there? I wouldn't bet against that team!

On a side note, Vice President for Global Design Ed Welburn was on the drive, too. Seeing his beloved Camaro as a real car… in near-final metal, glass, rubber and plastic… transformed from a visionary dream into a highly drivable reality… well, it was almost too much for him. He broke ranks, ran over to it, and hugged it! I have the photo to prove it — but of course we can’t show it to you just yet!

More to come soon from the Land of Oz. The G8s are already on the way...

The time has come kiddies, its put-up or shut-up these days...
 
Oooo I want to see so bad how it looks!
 
I saw a VE SSV ute today.
 
In case you want to know: There is a Camaro Prototype and Ed Welburn loves it!

edwelburn_camaro_101607.jpg


Autoblog
Last week, we told you about Bob Lutz's Fastlane Blog post in which he stated that the production Camaro is as awesome as the concept. If you clicked through to read it in its entirety, you'll recall that one of the Aussie anecdotes that Maximum Bob recounted involved GM Design honcho Ed Welburn going up to the camo-clad Camaro prototype and hugging it. Well, as Lutz stated, someone in the group had a camera with them and captured the moment for posterity. Today, Fastlane posted it online, and if we're not mistaken, this is the first official shot of the production Camaro, camouflaged or otherwise. We'd prefer otherwise, of course, but we'll take what we can get, so camo it is. If you stare at the pattern long enough, we think it turns into a Calvin-style sticker of Bob Lutz whizzing on the Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang.
 
Commodore Sportwagon Coming to US Instead of Ute?​

GoAuto
GM HOLDEN has confirmed that its export potential is the major reason for the VE Sportwagon’s being – and that it will have a smaller cargo area than the model it replaces.

As a result, Holden concedes the next-generation Commodore wagon, which officially broke cover at last Thursday’s Sydney motor show opening in the shape of the VE Sportwagon concept, is likely to attract fewer business buyers than the VZ Commodore wagon it replaces – a model it says was one of the world’s biggest wagons.

Ford president Tom Gorman has already stated his delight that Holden has “handed that market to us”, but Holden says that more lucrative sales to private customers, who are expected to be drawn to the lifestyle-oriented VE wagon in greater numbers than before, will more than compensate for the downturn in (less profitable per-unit) fleet sales.

If approved for US exports, the Sportwagon would follow in the footsteps of the VE Commodore SS sedan (to be badged as the Pontiac G8) and, despite reservations about slimmer profits due to the strong Aussie dollar (see separate story), the VE Ute.

“Sportwagon is next cab off the export rank,” a GMH executive told GoAuto. “The Ute is now under study and the wagon will follow it.

“The success in the US of wagons like the Dodge Magnum shows Americans have rediscovered the wagon.

“It’s smaller inside but it will gain with private sales more than what it loses in fleets sales – maybe not in terms of (sales) volume, but definitely in terms of (profit) margins. There was no money in fleet sales anyway.”

New GM Holden chairman and managing director Chris Gubbey said that while overall cargo space may be reduced, the practicality of Holden’s wagon will increase.

“To get the style it’s a matter of balance, but it still has an impressive load space.

“Obviously you’re getting something that I really do believe redefines the wagon segment. If you look at the design, with the rear opening window, the tailgate that opens to almost vertical and the higher platform for the load space – it all makes it exceedingly practical,” he said.

Speaking at the Sydney show last week, design boss Tony Stolfo said Holden is investigating all export opportunities for the vehicle. If given the green light, North America would be the wagon’s first port of call outside Australia and New Zealand.

“We’d love to see it exported,” he told GoAuto. “It has big export appeal. If you look at the (Pontiac) G8… it’s a natural.”

While he would not divulge any more details about wagon exports, Mr Stolfo did mention how many he would like to see crossing the Pacific.

“10,000 (units per annum) would be good,” he said.

Mr Stolfo indicated that there are still some legislative and governmental hurdles to overcome before final confirmation can be made of any pending export deal.

Despite it ‘being a natural’, he did reveal that a wagon version of the $1 billion-plus VE program was not an automatic certainty.

“(Initially) there was not a lot of support for it. We had to choose which (of the many VE bodystyle proposals) to run with.”

However, Holden’s big brass began to change its corporate mind once it saw early three-dimensional renderings.

“When they saw the full-sized clay model they were convinced,” he said.

Mr Stolfo said that expanding the wagon’s appeal beyond fleet buyers is central to the VE wagon using the sedan’s shorter wheelbase, rather than the long-wheelbase Statesman/Caprice structure that has been the basis of all large Holden wagons since the 1971 HQ, including the outgoing VZ Commodore wagon.

“The market is shifting,” believes Mr Stolfo. “Things like novated leasing are pushing for choice, for more aspirational vehicles. And premium wagons are big. So we need to produce a wagon with loads of functionality but with increased appeal.”

While not abandoning the traditional wagon market altogether with a shorter vehicle offering less cargo space, Holden is after the sort of lifestyle-orientated person who might consider a Mazda 6, Subaru Outback or even a BMW 5 Series wagon.

“We needed a sportier design,” he admitted.

A greater female focus was also deemed important, necessitating a more compact design that is easier to park than the last Commodore wagon.

Holden is hoping that the wagon it calls the Sportwagon will score sales from people wary of the growing global backlash against larger SUVs.

“There is a stigma associated with SUVs,” Mr Stolfo said.

“So to launch a new wagon in this timeframe is the right thing to do.

“It will attract sedan and traditional wagon buyers, and it may even pull people out of SUVs,” he added.

Yes, the Sportwagon makes a lot more sense than the Ute, and I'd much prefer it to be sitting at Pontiac lots and the odd pickup. Its too beautiful to be ignored, and certainly would be able to meet the 10K sales goals from the article.
 
I am sick of this 'sportswagon' name (the model at Sydney motorshow was a Calais), well it appears to reflect the market they are going for though.
 
-> Although I love the Sportwagon, the Ute deserves to be brought here in the US as a GMC or Saturn with a different name, too bad I was looking forward to it too. :indiff:
 
God I wish they wouldn't ruin the Holden name by sticking Saturn badges on it.
 
Back