Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,959 views
I'm praying they do a RHD version. It won't bother me to get a left-hooker, but RHD would be spot-on.

There will definitely be a RHD vesion. Hell, most mules are probaly RHD being Australian.
 
Will they sell it as a Chevrolet too?
GM could do what they did with the Corvette, and simply sell it as a Camaro.

But then again there are rumours that GM wants to move Chevrolet more up-market (in Europe) compared to what they are today - the Daewoos are silently being phased out, so the chances are that the Camaro will serve as the halo-car, unless they decide to brand the Corvette as a Chevrolet again.
 
-> Well it's official, no RWD for the Impala and the Buick boy's.

LLN
General Motors' on again, off again rear-wheel drive sedan plans are, well, off again. The U.S.' largest automaker has been mulling over a rear-wheel drive Chevrolet Impala and a rear-wheel drive Buick sedan, but both plans have been canceled due to newly passed CAFE regulations.

A source familiar with GM's plans revealed to Automotive News that GM had actually planned to release a rear-wheel drive Impala in 2011. The design featured a long hood and short decklid and was about 3 inches longer than the front-wheel drive 2008 model.

The source also revealed that the rear-wheel drive Impala was slated to get an SS version, which would have featured a V8 producing more than 350 horsepower.

However, the 35 mpg CAFE regulations have forced GM to scraps its large rear-wheel drive plans. Both of the canceled models were slated to ride on the same Zeta platform that underpins the Pontiac G8 and the upcoming 2010 Chevrolet Camaro.

^ Aww, thats too bad, so we won't have to see this anymore:

buick-park-avenue-rear-view.jpg


-> Bummer. :indiff:
 
So after all the hype over this new platform all we're going to see of it is the Camaro and G8? Bummer. :indiff: Maybe they'll change their minds. again....

Will we see Caddy throw this under the STS in a few years?
 
-> The STS is 'supposed' to step on 5-series shoes. But with the new CTS (and the CTS-V), its clearly saying "move over buddy, I'm taking this one"! So, the STS is in the same league as the Acura "fuglylified" RL (the confused batch of luxury cars)? :confused:
 
I think that if they have no plans of making a RWD Impala they could at least release sketches of what could have been.
 
All that would do is make us all want it more. Which will either have us feeling more desperate or eventually push GM to actually build the thing.

And they would probably look pretty similar either way.
 
All that would do is make us all want it more. Which will either have us feeling more desperate or eventually push GM to actually build the thing.

And they would probably look pretty similar either way.

Yeah, it occured to me after I posted it that it might give away some similar new design features. Still, it's just such a shame it's not happening. Dirty oil rigger bosses. How about we attack those multi-million dollar tycoons for the high prices.:grumpy:
 
How about we attack Washington for babying us and telling us what's best for us?
 
How about we attack Washington for babying us and telling us what's best for us?

Let's just go and steal some petrol before people start thinking we're terrorists :lol:

Edit:
Note to disclaimer: I in no way condone illegal activity, the post above is aimed to have a humorous effect.
 
-> I don't give a crap about that RWD Impala and those Buick bunch, I just want a G8 GXP Sportwagon (aka. HSV Tourer). :grumpy:

0805_01z+2008_holden_hsv_tourer+front_3_4.jpg


-> Too much hype over nothing. :indiff:
 
So after all the hype over this new platform all we're going to see of it is the Camaro and G8? Bummer. :indiff: Maybe they'll change their minds. again..../
Ummm, not completely. We've still got some goodies in the pipe:

- The G8 ST is still on schedule
- The GMC Sierra will be replaced by a Zeta-bodied Ute
- Its becoming increasingly likely that the Zeta chassis will be cross-bred and eventually replace the BOF GMT900 trucks and SUVs as well
- Oh, and the Alpha platform is based on the Zeta structure, albeit its just cut down quite far

Will we see Caddy throw this under the STS in a few years?

Yes. And the DTS replacement will ride on the Zeta chassis as well. Those plans, it seems, are set in stone.

====

And don't fret completely...

Word is that the Epsilon II chassis can easily be changed to RWD with some Zeta cross-breeding. That may be where the Alpha chassis comes from. GM won't spend all that money developing something and not use it... That's why we're likely to see a lot of this come in on a lot of different products in the future.
 
So after all the hype over this new platform all we're going to see of it is the Camaro and G8? Bummer. :indiff: Maybe they'll change their minds. again..../
Ummm, not completely. We've still got some goodies in the pipe:

- The G8 ST is still on schedule
- The GMC Sierra will be replaced by a Zeta-bodied Ute
- Its becoming increasingly likely that the Zeta chassis will be cross-bred and eventually replace the BOF GMT900 trucks and SUVs as well
- Oh, and the Alpha platform is based on the Zeta structure, albeit its just cut down quite far



Yes. And the DTS replacement will ride on the Zeta chassis as well. Those plans, it seems, are set in stone.

====

And don't fret completely...

Word is that the Epsilon II chassis can easily be changed to RWD with some Zeta cross-breeding. That may be where the Alpha chassis comes from. GM won't spend all that money developing something and not use it... That's why we're likely to see a lot of this come in on a lot of different products in the future.

I hope Holden gets an Alpha car, I'd honestly buy something like that if I could afford it.
 
This is about Chevrolet and YSSMAN always checks this thread because this is a question for him:

Yesterday I went with my sister and her fiancee to look at cars as they are trying to replace their 2002 Pathfinder for gas reasons. She was looking at the Corolla and before that the Hybrid Camrys but they are out of her price range. I mentioned the Malibu to her fiancee a few days before since they were looking at Camrys. So after Toyota we went to Chevrolet and we immediately started looking at an LTZ. I liked these cars before but wow up close and in person this car is really really nice. It was about $29,000 but I think it was a base LTZ since they start at $27k and the only thing adding to the price was the dealer markup of $1,999. She test drove it and everything and it was great in every sense, nothing was wrong with the ride at all the stereo was good quality the only thing that was weird about it is the windows look small. It feels like a pretty enclosed place because of that but it's not that big of a deal. What I'm getting at is they are coming out with a Hybrid for the Malibu and I was wondering if you've heard anything on it.
 
This is about Chevrolet and YSSMAN always checks this thread because this is a question for him:

Yesterday I went with my sister and her fiancee to look at cars as they are trying to replace their 2002 Pathfinder for gas reasons. She was looking at the Corolla and before that the Hybrid Camrys but they are out of her price range. I mentioned the Malibu to her fiancee a few days before since they were looking at Camrys. So after Toyota we went to Chevrolet and we immediately started looking at an LTZ. I liked these cars before but wow up close and in person this car is really really nice. It was about $29,000 but I think it was a base LTZ since they start at $27k and the only thing adding to the price was the dealer markup of $1,999. She test drove it and everything and it was great in every sense, nothing was wrong with the ride at all the stereo was good quality the only thing that was weird about it is the windows look small. It feels like a pretty enclosed place because of that but it's not that big of a deal. What I'm getting at is they are coming out with a Hybrid for the Malibu and I was wondering if you've heard anything on it.

You probably should've made this your own thread.
 
What I'm getting at is they are coming out with a Hybrid for the Malibu and I was wondering if you've heard anything on it.

They offer a "Hybrid" Malibu similar to the VUE Green Line, pretty much an on/off switch for the engine at stop with an electric motor that powers everything when the engine is off. Nothing too special. There will be a two-mode (ie, "full hybrid") model coming down the line eventually, but I don't know what the timetable is for that.

If you're going to look at Malibus for fuel efficiency, I'd highly recommend the LTZ model with the four-cylinder and the six-speed automatic. Fuel economy will be top in the class, and it will be the only model available with a six-speed automatic (as I recall). I'm not sure how soon they are supposed to show up, however. For that matter, if the Malibu is even easy to get a hold of elsewhere.

The only other Chevrolet to recommend on fuel efficiency would be the new Cobalt 'XFE' (X-tra Fuel Economy). Its a pretty decent car overall, and comes in at a pretty low price.

====

And to add in the news of the thread:

Word is that they are probably going to offer a 2.0T two-mode hybrid in the Camaro.

Thoughts?
 
I'd say that a V6-based hybrid would do better in the Camaro.

Keep the RPM low and you keep fuel efficiency up. Most four-cylinders don't make low-end.
 
I'd say that a V6-based hybrid would do better in the Camaro.

Keep the RPM low and you keep fuel efficiency up. Most four-cylinders don't make low-end.

A hybrid of the DI V6 would be interesting. Wonder how good it would sip the fuel.
 
More Camaro news:

Autoblog
Camaro confirmed for Europe, may not be branded a Chevy
Wayne Brannon, Chief Executive of Chevrolet Europe, has confirmed that the UK will be getting its own right-hand-drive version of the Camaro when it goes on sale in early 2010. 1,000 coupe and convertible variants, powered by a 400 bhp, 6.0-liter engine, will be produced with RHD, and it's suspected that about 300 units of each will make their way to dealers in The Kingdom after the Camaro makes its European debut at the London Motor Show.

However, there is some debate about where the Camaro will be sold. Chevrolet is considered a budget brand abroad, so there's apparently some consternation about selling the Camaro with the bowtie badge. While it's likely that it will still be sold through Chevy dealers in Europe, there's a possibility that it will be marketed as a separate brand in the UK, similar to Corvette.
 
News to me. I had no idea the Europeans had their Corvettes under another name.
 
It's just the "Corvette" brand as far as I know.
 
More news from Autoblog, looks like people are concerned about the fuel economy.

Autoblog
Camaro still on track, V6s to make up two-thirds of sales
The 2010 Chevy Camaro is a foregone conclusion. It's definitely coming on schedule and it will give GM's value division a credible competitor to the current generation Mustang and new Dodge Challenger. But, just because the Camaro of old is best remembered for its fire-breathing V8 engine options doesn't mean that a significant portion of sales won't be comprised of the somewhat less-hot V6 model. Rising gas prices will make sure of that point, and GM's execs know this fact just as well as we do. Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of sales and marketing, is quoted on Inside Line as saying, "Everyone thinks we'll be positioning the Camaro as a burn-ass hot rod. But that's only about 30 percent of the business. The other two-thirds will come from 27-mpg V6 sales, with a significant female share."

This truth, in fact, mimics past Camaro and Mustang sales. Sure, a large portion of the past pony car segment was made up of the go-fast models, but the largest percentage of sales has always been of lesser performing and therefore less expensive models. As we've reported in the past, a four-cylinder model is also being considered, though that option is not yet ready for prime time, according to LaNeve. Not surprisingly, he also suggests that it's not just the Camaro that is likely to get smaller, more fuel efficient engine options. For our part, we'd gladly welcome GM's fine turbocharged, direct-inject Ecotec engine as an option in more models.
 
V6 sales, with a significant female share.

At least they're being honest. Or they went through the demographics of a Mustang V6 buyer. :lol:
 
At least they're being honest. Or they went through the demographics of a Mustang V6 buyer. :lol:

You mean the demographics of the V6 Vert
 
Yeah, I'm not too shocked there. Still, I really don't think an average (?) of 27 MPG on the V6 Camaro is bad, particularly when it will have more BHP than the previous Z28. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the V6 model would be the "sweet spot," particularly if they do offer a sport-suspension that is in fact capable to some extent. Personally, V8 be damned, as long as its quick and looks good... I'd be happy.
 
What they should do to attract more buyers is offer a model with the V6, but also have a sport suspension and an appearance package so it looks like the V8 model (whatever they call it) sort of like what they're doing with the Challenger, because it's so easy to tell when someone has a V6 Mustang due to no foglamps and the single exhaust tip.
 
I'm guessing this means that stick-shift Camaros will be a quite rare breed. Such a shame...

Yeah, I'm not too shocked there. Still, I really don't think an average (?) of 27 MPG on the V6 Camaro is bad, particularly when it will have more BHP than the previous Z28.

It'll still weigh twice as much as the old Camaro too.

What they should do to attract more buyers is offer a model with the V6, but also have a sport suspension and an appearance package so it looks like the V8 model (whatever they call it) sort of like what they're doing with the Challenger, because it's so easy to tell when someone has a V6 Mustang due to no foglamps and the single exhaust tip.

WHY!?!?!? If they do that, the V8 model will have no exclusivity, therefore ruining half of it's purpose. And anyway, the people who don't care if it's a V8 or a V6 are the ones who can't tell the difference appearance-wise. And I'm sure us enthusiasts would quickly learn which ones are V6s and V8s no mater how much disguising they do.
 
It'll still weigh twice as much as the old Camaro too.

Actually, probably not. The previous Camaro went out at around 3600 lbs as I recall, and the target weight for this one is in the same range. Granted, the G8 clocks in just shy of 4000 lbs, and given the size difference between the two, I'm not sure how they're cutting it down that low.
 
I'm guessing this means that stick-shift Camaros will be a quite rare breed. Such a shame...

Stick-shifts in general are becoming a rare breed...at least here in the States.

WHY!?!?!? If they do that, the V8 model will have no exclusivity, therefore ruining half of it's purpose. And anyway, the people who don't care if it's a V8 or a V6 are the ones who can't tell the difference appearance-wise. And I'm sure us enthusiasts would quickly learn which ones are V6s and V8s no mater how much disguising they do.

Well in essence they could offer some sort of package for the V6 model that doesn't make it look boring. I mean there's nothing wrong with wanting a powerful feeling, and powerful looking car that gets better gas mileage than it's V8 counterpart. Perhaps they could call it the Camaro Z26!
 
Stick-shifts in general are becoming a rare breed...at least here in the States.



Well in essence they could offer some sort of package for the V6 model that doesn't make it look boring. I mean there's nothing wrong with wanting a powerful feeling, and powerful looking car that gets better gas mileage than it's V8 counterpart. Perhaps they could call it the Camaro Z26!

Read: VE Commodore SV6. SS V8 body kit, less tail pipes (still dual), and no SS badges. V8 remains exclusive, V6 still looks bad-ass.
 
Back