Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,171 views
Oh hell yeah, America wants the Zeta cars.

They just don't know it yet.
 
Hey, want to know what the eventual G8 GXP will perform like?

0.8A


0-60 in 5.7 seconds, 13.8 in the quarter...

Full road-test (against Scooby STi and Evolution IX) here
 
Hey, want to know what the eventual G8 GXP will perform like?

Who cares really. Its apples vs oranges, two are rally cars and the other is a muscle car. But, anything Holden with a V8 > STi/EVO

If you gave me a choice between getting ½ off of a G8 V8 model or getting an STi or EVO for FREE I'd take the G8. :sly: 👍
 
Wow, you guys must really have Holden envy or something. I'll take the Evo, especially the upcoming Evo X.
 
But really, you're not going to be cross-shopping an R8 with an Evo and STi. The later are pretty much track cars, the R8 is much more of a high powered cruiser.
 
YSS and JCE would though. They have a thing for big pushrod V8 power...

Where as the rest of world doesn't so much. Its an American thing that dominates in the middle of the country.

Though this would be a good thing for GM to get out, I think V8 purists will complain about having that fancy smancy AWD on there. And the AWD guys will complain about the weight and pushrods.
 
If all three cost the same and I was to buy one of them, the G8 when it comes out here in Vauxhall badging would probably appeal to me more than the toher two. I'm not a massive Evo and Impreza guy really though, I respect them but I've never desired to own one. I much prefer the idea of owning something along the lines of that Holden regardless of which can ultimately lap a track faster.
 
YSS and JCE would though. They have a thing for big pushrod V8 power...

Where as the rest of world doesn't so much. Its an American thing that dominates in the middle of the country.

Though this would be a good thing for GM to get out, I think V8 purists will complain about having that fancy smancy AWD on there. And the AWD guys will complain about the weight and pushrods.

I'm not American, nor do I only prefer V8's though. 👎 I can appreciate a car whether or not it has a 3cyl to a 16 cyl engine. Its about the application of the engine in said car and how the car looks and feels to drive. On my favorite non-supercar list there is actually a couple of V6 and 4cyl cars in there if you must know. 👍
 
YSS and JCE would though. They have a thing for big pushrod V8 power...

Where as the rest of world doesn't so much. Its an American thing that dominates in the middle of the country.

Though this would be a good thing for GM to get out, I think V8 purists will complain about having that fancy smancy AWD on there. And the AWD guys will complain about the weight and pushrods.

Hell yeah! (lol)

Its more a matter of being a grown-up when it comes to choosing your car, and out of the three, the Commodore/G8 is at least in my opinion, the better choice.

...I mean, its not like Toyota has anything to counter any of those with...

(O SNAP!)
 
Yes. V8 + AWD in any weight is a good thing. Infact, because the G8 is AWD the acceleration numbers should be very respectable. Heavy cars don't generally accelerate well from a stop unless they are wearing some drag tires.
 
Now everything clears up. I was thinking it's a Rwd V8 - which doesn't make sense to test, accelleration-wise, versus lighter 4WD Turbo-devils.
 
In that test the HSV R8 is RWD.
 
Hell yeah! (lol)

Its more a matter of being a grown-up when it comes to choosing your car, and out of the three, the Commodore/G8 is at least in my opinion, the better choice.

...I mean, its not like Toyota has anything to counter any of those with...

(O SNAP!)

Oh BURN (sizzle)

I'm not gonna attempt to say Toyota has a real counter. Maybe the IS350, but thats more upscale and less raw by alot.

I do agree that the G8 would be the more grown up, The backseats in the STi and EVO are jokes... I still don't see why they aren't just coupes again. That aside, if people wanted a more grown up image, for these prices, they can slide into a BMW, Lexus, Benz, (painfully brought up) Audi or VW, and I'm sure others (don't know the pricing on the CTS on the top of my head). Personally, I think it will be kinda an odd ball in the market.

@ JCE - Didn't mean to offend if I did. Just thought since your location is Texas... and you argue on behalf of larger engines often, along with domestic over imports, that you were more of a V8 pushrod fan than revvy 4 banger guy. My apologies.
 
G8 will be AWD? since when? It doesn't need it and I certainly wouldn't want it.
 
Oh BURN (sizzle)

I'm not gonna attempt to say Toyota has a real counter. Maybe the IS350, but thats more upscale and less raw by alot.

I do agree that the G8 would be the more grown up, The backseats in the STi and EVO are jokes... I still don't see why they aren't just coupes again. That aside, if people wanted a more grown up image, for these prices, they can slide into a BMW, Lexus, Benz, (painfully brought up) Audi or VW, and I'm sure others (don't know the pricing on the CTS on the top of my head). Personally, I think it will be kinda an odd ball in the market.

@ JCE - Didn't mean to offend if I did. Just thought since your location is Texas... and you argue on behalf of larger engines often, along with domestic over imports, that you were more of a V8 pushrod fan than revvy 4 banger guy. My apologies.

just because ls series engines have pushrods doesnt mean there not revy :lol:
its called an aftermarket bumpstick :)

id take an ls series engine over a heavy dohc turd with similar capacity any day let alone a 2 ltr
 
In that test the HSV R8 is RWD.

Which in return answers the question, "If it's AWD, how comes they mention "Zero Traction below Hearse-like progress" when launching, and why the torquey, high-power motor only generates very, very slow accelleration-numbers, comparably.
 
G8 will be AWD? since when? It doesn't need it and I certainly wouldn't want it.

No, it isn't. But just like the folks down at Holden, Pontiac keeps the option for AWD open, given that the competition will have it as an option as well. Along similar lines, the next Cadillac CTS will have an AWD option as well...
 
It would be a hit in the snowbelt.
 
@ JCE - Didn't mean to offend if I did. Just thought since your location is Texas... and you argue on behalf of larger engines often, along with domestic over imports, that you were more of a V8 pushrod fan than revvy 4 banger guy. My apologies.

I usually argue for larger engines over here mainly because they are cheap to buy, run, and modify. It depends on the application and circumstances on which I'd choose and or recommend. Things like price, insurance, rarity, and personality I take into account on choosing a vehicle either for myself or as a suggestion to others. I'd just as easily take a 2004 STi as I would a 2002 Camaro SS. Or a 1987 MkI MR2 as easily as a 1987 Mustang GT. All that assuming the cost to run and insure wouldn't be too astronomically high--like the WRX is.

No, it isn't. But just like the folks down at Holden, Pontiac keeps the option for AWD open, given that the competition will have it as an option as well. Along similar lines, the next Cadillac CTS will have an AWD option as well...

I thought you said Pontiac confirmed an AWD G8?
 
I don't remember saying it, but I may have. The General is thinking about doing RWD on the Zeta cars, but thus far the only confirmed new AWD model is the CTS sometime in 2008.
 
No, it isn't. But just like the folks down at Holden, Pontiac keeps the option for AWD open, given that the competition will have it as an option as well. Along similar lines, the next Cadillac CTS will have an AWD option as well...


Yeah, I knew that but all of a sudden it seemed to be comfirmed.
 
The G8 GXP is coming...

Autoblog
A reader named Dominic sent in photos of a car he spotted in Troy, MI this week. In his email, he noted only that said car was RHD. To our enjoyment, when we looked at the photos, we were pleased to find an E-Series HSV Clubsport R8 (official pic at right). HSV is the performance arm of GM's Australia-based Holden division, and the HSV cars have the goods to back up their aggressive looks.

The Clubsport, like the other E-Series HSV sedans, sports different front and rear fascias than the regular Holden Commodore SS-V (which we'll see as the Pontiac G8 GT). It's also identifiable easily thanks to the "Clubsport" badging ahead of the rear wheel well (plainly visible in the spy photo gallery below). Its 6.0L LS2 is good for a rocking 411 horsepower and 405 lb-ft of tire-shredding twist -- a notable upgrade over the forthcoming G8 GT's 362 horses and 391 lb-ft.

While it's not at all surprising to see Holdens in the Detroit area sporting manufacturer tags like this one (there are always several sightings during the Woodward Dream Cruise, as the stuff just comes out of the woodwork), it's encouraging to see one of the latest and greatest HSV's tooling about. After all, everyone knows that the best Pontiacs get a GXP designation now, and we hope that this car's presence is an indicator that the General is looking to add a range-topper to the G8 lineup sometime after it makes its debut next year.









...And it even has old bluey on the back...


Sweet. The GXP version should be incredibly hot, and should make an awesome alternative to some higher priced, and more "prestigious" V8 saloons.
 
Wow, I'd shat my pants in amazement if I saw that myself.
 
How much is a basic G8 going for? I'm turning 17 this December and hopefully going to be looking into cars soon enough.
 
No one officially knows how much the car will cost, but a good estimate is in the mid-high $20K range for a 3.6L DOHC V6 and the 5-speed automatic. Basically, the G8 is starting off where the mid-level Grand Prix GT (supercharged 3.8L V6) left off.
 
I need not say more.

160_070628_xl.jpg
 
That'll be a Corvette mill, then? 516HP according to my table calculator.
 
Back