Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,083 views
Thats awesome that the Avalanche is selling down there. My Dad has an '05 model, and he loves it! While I would have preferred for him to just wait for the '07 Silverados (full pickup truck), he wanted a truck "right now," and I wasn't able to convince him otherwise.

The truck is actually surprisingly efficient. We've been able to achieve roughly 23 MPG headed north to Traverse City, and in and around Grand Rapids he usually averages about 16-17 MPG, which isn't bad for a nearly three ton vehicle.
 


I keep wondering if they're going to have the Camaro at this weekend's "Super Chevy Show"
 
You want some updated photos of the G8? You really do? I've got em!

DSC06176.JPG


DSC06174.JPG


DSC06173.JPG


DSC06177.JPG


That my friends is easily going to be one of the best cars GM sells in North America. For $30K, you can't go wrong...

==============

Oh, and something called a "UTE" had its debut today...

07Range1_m_m.jpg


Drive.com.au
Holden is embracing a growing consumer trend towards utes as lifestyle vehicles by making the VE Ute more attractive to buyers outside the traditional workman profile. This has seen major changes to the Ute range overall and the vehicle's physical attributes in particular at the expense of traditional ute strengths like load-carrying capacity.

The four-model Commodore Ute line-up has three sports-oriented models – SV6, SS and SS-V - and one workman model, the Omega. All come with an integrated utility tray; Holden has made no announcement concerning the arrival of a more workman-like cab-chassis tray as seen on previous One Tonner models.

Despite building the Ute on the longer 3009mm version of the VE Commodore wheelbase, Holden has said the tray area is smaller on VE but says it is better-shaped. The Ute also has a lower payload capacity than before, as little as 508kg on some models. According to Holden's own guidelines, this 'maximum payload' capacity includes all non-standard items, including occupants.

This, and the sporty emphasis in the line-up confirms Holden’s move to make its latest Ute a lifestyle machine rather than a weekday workhorse; Holden is focussing more on surfers and cyclists than plumbers and builders.

Newly-appointed Holden chairman and managing director Chris Gubbey says the Ute appeals to lifestyle-oriented buyers rather than those looking to shift a tonne of dirt and rocks.

“Today’s ute is about working hard, playing hard and enjoying an active lifestyle,” says Gubbey. “VE Ute raises the bar in this segment and sets new standards in safety, comfort, flexibility and performance.”

Priced from $30,990 all Commodore Utes now have air-conditioning, an MP3 input, trip computer and Bluetooth phone connection. The flagship SS-V includes alloy sports pedals and a six-stack CD player, and all Utes can be optioned with satellite navigation.

Holden has increased interior storage space to match its major competitor, the Ford Falcon Ute. The new Ute has almost three times as much storage space behind the seats compared to the model it replaces. Access to the storage area, which can be optioned with an “interior luggage organiser” is via quick-release seat latches.

The VE Ute sets new safety standards for its class, with dual airbags and a electronic stability system (which can individually brake wheels to help control a slide).

Holden claims basing the new Ute on the bigger VE footprint offer vastly improves comfort and stability. Like the model it replaces, the VE Ute has independent suspension and coil springs for each wheel, modified in an effort to improve roadholding.

There are four models in the Commodore Ute range; V6-powered Omega and SV6 and the V8-powered SS and SS-V.

The entry-level Omega Ute is expected to account for a bulk of sales. It gets a 180kW version of the Commodore’s 3.6-litre V6 engine mated to either a six-speed manual gearbox or four-speed automatic. Steel wheels are standard.

The sportier SV6 gets a 195kW version of the same V6 along with alloy wheels and a spoiler kit which includes front fog lights. It is priced at $35,990 for the manual. A five-speed auto is a $1000 option.

The SS gets the Commodore’s 6.0-litre V8 with 270kW of power, 18-inch alloy wheels and sports seats. Other touches include quick-response LED tail lights and a six-stack CD player. It carries a $39,990 price tage.

The flagship of the VE Commodore Ute range is the sporty SS-V. It is powered by the same 270kW V8 engine, wears 19-inch alloy wheels and gets a decent swag of equipment for its $44,990 price tag, including dual-zone climate control air-conditioning and alloy pedals.

“Sports models traditionally account for the major percentage of Holden’s sales in this segment," says Holden executive director of sales and marketing Alan Batey, "so we have increased our (model) mix for VE from two to three sports variants."

The VE Commodore Ute is thirstier than the VE Commodore sedan it is based on, and heavier than the model it replaces – in some instances by as much as 150kg.

The Ute uses between 0.7 per cent and 2.7 per cent more fuel than the ‘equivalent’ Commodore sedan.

The VE Commodore Ute is the first new Holden Ute since the VT-based VU Ute in 2000. Holden spent $105 million developing the Holden Ute, which is on top of the $1.2 billion in spent on the rest of the Commodore/Statesman/Caprice range.

For now there’s only a regular utility in the Ute line-up and no cab-chassis (with the optional tray on the back of the chassis).

Options for the Holden Ute include a lockable hard tonneau cover, a “Super Box”, cargo tie-downs, an alloy roll bar, sports decals, an interior luggage organiser and a ladder and roof rack.

I still say they should replace the GMT355 trucks with this in the US, but what do I know?

Oh, and the Monaro? Chop the bed off, add a coupe roof line, and you get the idea...
 
Well, the ute looks much better than I was expecting. I was skeptical of the picture at first untill I saw the car being unveiled on the news a few minutes ago.
 
They-are-gorgeous! Unlike Jim, I don't care for the Chevy grille, but then again, since I'm not a Chevy fan or anything, it's not my place to judge their grille.
 
The more I see of the Zeta, the more I like. So will the El Camino finally rise again in the US?

Oh, and not to be a nattering nabob, but I can see GM replacing a lot of master
window/mirror switches due to it's proximity to the cupholder:

DSC06177.JPG
 
Apparently, if I ever wanted a G8, it'll have to be the GTP verison. That red one doesn't have the same, great-looking presence as what the magazines showed....Not to mention, an ugly steering wheel.
 
Here's a video about the all new ute. Apparently it may just be the El Camino? I don't know if this is a rumour or not.
 
There has been an on again, off again rumor that the Ute would come to the US as an El Camino, but no one at GM ever says anything with certainty these days. Lutz has talked about it several times, and my guess is that the GM Brass won't make anything close to a decision until they see how the G8 works out.

...Personally speaking, I find them a helluva-lot more appealing than the Colorado, even if they are offering a 300 BHP V8 in them this year...

===

@ *McLaren*

Don't worry, you aren't alone. A lot of people on GMI are asking why Pontiac isn't showing the crazy stuff on the GT Pre-Pros, and I assume its because they want to drum-up interest in standard models first. Personally, I think it looks great in standard trim, but to get what you want (20" wheels, chrome everywhere, special leather), you're likely going to have to check option boxes or wait for the GTP/GXP model to come probably next spring.

I'm pretty sure Pontiac will have a nice aftermarket catalog for the car through GM, and I'm more than certain that the aftermarket overall will go bananas for the car this year at SEMA.
 
My only problem with the ElCam in that regard is off-road capability. Minitruckers tend to value this; Most Tacomas and Frontiers, and, hell, (civillian, not fleet) Colorados, I see have the off-road package. I don't think it'd replace the Colorado completely, but it'd definitely make the V8 model seem redundant...at least, in 2wd form.

and it's ten times better than that SS/R thing.
 
I believe the Ute is too "fresh" for a fully off-road oriented model. The previous version of the Ute had several dedicated off-road models, and I'm pretty positive this one will as well, although Holden has somewhat admitted that they want to cater more to the younger, more active types... Surfers, ATV-riders, the usual Gen-X/Y type stuff.

If I recall correctly, the previous LS1-powered models could in fact tow and haul more than the current Colorado/Canyon, rode at nearly the same height and had similar approach/departure angles, and could be outfitted to match the performance of the Z71-packaged models. IMO, it makes sense, as the Colorado/Canyon never sold all that well anyway.

My plan (per the GMI Forums):

YSSMAN on GMI Forums
Step 1: Kill the Colorado (even if it is getting a V8 this year), give the GMT355 chassis to GMC exclusively

Step 2: Shove a Chevy grille on the UTE, build them in Canada

Step 3: Call it an El Camino, build maybe 20K a year, and let GMC worry about doing "truck trucks."

Leave the true trucks to GMC, let the Chevy kids have fun with this. Its just the right thing to do...
 
If I recall correctly, the previous LS1-powered models could in fact tow and haul more than the current Colorado/Canyon, rode at nearly the same height and had similar approach/departure angles, and could be outfitted to match the performance of the Z71-packaged models. IMO, it makes sense, as the Colorado/Canyon never sold all that well anyway.


Well not really, if you actually wanted to 'haul' some weight around in the out going model you needed a suspension upgrade (airbags from memory) or the IRS suspension would drag it's ass with the hint of a heavy load. Part of the reason most heavy workers utes are not Commodores.
 
That or buy a Holden One-Ton, which they still should be making if they ask me.
2366_8lo.jpg


(Including people) 508kg for the new model is pathetic. The one-ton carried 1300kg and could actually go off road thanks to the leaf springs and the LSD.

Also it was cheaper and more practical as a vehicle for people who actually use them as Utes than the Holden Ute was. The cheapness also made it a performance bargain, as a V8 One-Ton could be had for around the same price as a regular Commodore Sedan, which also weighed not insignificantly more.

That or buy a Hilux.
 
That or buy a Hilux.

Tacoma.

Actually, I never knew of this one-ton model. if they COULD sell it here, they SHOULD. but, will they make any more on the new platform? Would a new one cut into (god forbid) Silverado territory, and, thus, sales?

remains to be seen.
 
Agreed the Colorado needs to be drug out into the street and shot...several times over. I would love to see the El Camino come back...although I don't see why anyone would really need one other then the sheer enjoyment of owning a car that takes it styling from a mullet haircut.
 

Where's my Elky?


Oh, and there's not a thing wrong with either the G8 or Impala/Caprice/whatever. Not a single thing was wrong with the previous Amercianized Holden (except maybe the marketing), so I have high hopes for this one (except maybe the marketing).
 
That or buy a Hilux.

Thats what most people did I think, which is probably why they killed the 1 tonner.
 
Isn't the performance version of the Ute considered the fastest production pick up?
 
Going by Guinness book of records, yes.

IMO it's not a 'pick up'.
 
Why isn't it a pick-up? Or do you mean that it isn't what you refer to as trucks like we do in America?
 
It's not a pickup the way I think about it either, YSS. to me, Pickups have frames and seperate beds. the 1-ton could qualify. El Camino may have had a frame at one point, but never a seperate bed. 'twas a ute.

I had it explained to me thusly In "Questionable Modifications:" "a Ute is any vehicle with an open bed, attached directly to the body instead of being seperate" Under this definition, the Honda Ridgeline is a Ute. It think the Avalanche may be one, too. and the 'Sclade EXT. well, technically. I'd still use "ute" to describe truck/car hybrids.
 
Coupe Utility. ;)
 
Why isn't it a pick-up?
One would think it would be pretty obvious: It's car based, sitting on the exact same chassis as all of the other Zeta cars. If the Ute is a pickup, than the Subaru Baja was. And so was the El Camino. And the Subaru BRAT. And Plymouth Scamp.
 
Lest we forget the Falcon Ute, Dodge Rampage, and Ranchero....
 
I guess I always see a truck bed and scream "Its a pickup!" My bad...
 
Meh, dont' worry. It's why my mom dislikes them; she can't figure out if it's a car or truck.
 
One would think it would be pretty obvious: It's car based, sitting on the exact same chassis as all of the other Zeta cars. If the Ute is a pickup, than the Subaru Baja was. And so was the El Camino. And the Subaru BRAT. And Plymouth Scamp.


Exactly.

You have a LS2 car based ute up against trucks like SRT/10 RAM for fastest 'pickup'.
 
What about the Honda Ridgeline? Would that be a pick up?
 
The problem isn't with the pick-up part, it's with the "truck" part.


True, I forgot they classed it as a 'truck'.
 
Back