Following a successful debut in the 2022 season, which saw Randall Haywood crowned as champion, the Porsche Esports Challenge USA is returning for 2023 with qualification rounds in Gran Turismo 7 and a live grand final.
Open to residents of the USA aged 18 and over, the event consists of three qualifying time trials within Gran Turismo 7 across July and six wildcard events staged at Porsche dealerships across the nation beginning as early as next week.
In total, the in-person events will select the best four drivers, with four from each of the in-game time trials to make up a 16-driver field. They’ll then battle it out for a share of a $30,000 prize pool, along with other prizes that include driving experiences and special Porsche-branded TAG Heuer watches.
With 2023 marking the 75th anniversary of Porsche, the three time trials are a look at the history of the brand as represented in GT — and even includes a nod to the marque’s rallying history. The schedule for each is as follows:
- Round 1 – July 10-16 – Porsche 917K ’70/24 Heures du Mans Circuit
- Round 2 – July 17-23 – Porsche 959 ’87/Sardegna Windmills
- Round 3 – July 24-30 – Porsche 911 RSR ’17/Daytona Road Course
The six in-person events take place at dealers in California, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, and New Jersey for a limited time at each. There players will be tasked with a hot lap of Laguna Seca in the Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991) ’16, and the event locations and dates are as follows:
- June 11 – Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles (Carson, CA)
- June 16-17 – Porsche Redwood City (San Francisco, CA)
- June 23-24 – Porsche Bethesda (Rockville Pike, North Bethesda, Maryland)
- July 14-15 – Porsche Paul Miller (Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ)
- July 21-22 – Champion Porsche (Pompano Beach, FL)
- July 28-29 – Porsche Experience Center Atlanta (Atlanta, GA)
All 16 finalists will receive a four-day trip to California to attend the biggest Porsche festival in the world: Rennsport Reunion 7, at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. The Grand Final itself is set to take place at the Bose Esports Arena at the circuit, with the format yet to be announced.
Whoever claims the 2023 title will receive $15,000, with the runner-up taking home $10,000, and $5,000 for the third-place driver. Each will also win a TAG Heuer Connected Calibre E4 Porsche Edition Watch.
All players who enter any one of the time trial rounds will also receive a special in-game livery for the car used in the time trial.