GTPlanet Android App

• Thread starter strtgng
  • 162 comments
Is it just me then who is finding it quicker and easier to use the full site on my device? I suppose having a big high resolution screen helps but I can view and browse the normal forums at high speed without a single issue using my built in browser!

It's still a very cool app though, and pretty flawless from what I can tell. 👍

I can look at the full site and the app quickly, but the app is the faster of the two.

Quick question, where do I log in?

I'm still using my regular browser as I didn't find a way to post while using the app. :irked:

Iwas gonna necro the other thread, but seeing as this one is necroed already her it goes.

I can't seem to find the feedback forum for pd....the giant wishlist.

Is this accessable through the app?

If not is there a handy sticky?
No, that part of the site isn't available in the app. You'll need to visit http://feedback.gtplanet.net directly in your mobile browser to use it.

Quick question, where do I log in?

I'm still using my regular browser as I didn't find a way to post while using the app. :irked:
Press the "menu" button on your phone while using the app to sign in to your account.

Thanks, using it right now, it is a lot better than the regular web browsers.

It took me long enough to figure out how to sign in, should have just checked this thread out from the beginning. Thanks Jordan:tup: now that I can reply from the app I'm sure I will use it more often.

I have the app on my xperia mini and i cant find the log on feature on it at all ive looked on the menu cant see it anywhere :( HELP

cancel that found it lol sorry guys!! app is awesome btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Logged in today and discovered the new quote/report arrow button, the pics weren't working before the last update, they're perfect now.

Nice update, a definitive thumbs up since it added almost all functionalities of the regular forum.

Any chance of the chat and a menu entry for the visitors page?

I read on previous posts in this threat that you have to use the menu button to log in, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I have a rooted HTC Hero and when I hit the menu button to log in, nothing happens. Also when I hit the back button it doesn't exit the app, so I have to exit via home button. When I try to go to the Infield Forum, access is denied. So I have a few issues with this app. Does anyone have the same problems or can someone help me out? Thanks in advance ;)

Any chance of the chat and a menu entry for the visitors page?
Chat may be coming to the app in the future. What "visitors page" are you referring to, exactly?

I read on previous posts in this threat that you have to use the menu button to log in, but that doesn't seem to work for me. I have a rooted HTC Hero and when I hit the menu button to log in, nothing happens. Also when I hit the back button it doesn't exit the app, so I have to exit via home button. When I try to go to the Infield Forum, access is denied. So I have a few issues with this app. Does anyone have the same problems or can someone help me out? Thanks in advance ;)
Yes, the "back button" behavior is a known issue - if you're in the news section of the app, you will need to use the home button to return to the main screen of your phone. I don't know what would cause the menu button to not function on your HTC Hero (the joys of Android platform fragmentation), but you will need to be logged in to your Premium account before the Infield will be accessible.

Chat may be coming to the app in the future. What "visitors page" are you referring to, exactly?

Yes, the "back button" behavior is a known issue - if you're in the news section of the app, you will need to use the home button to return to the main screen of your phone. I don't know what would cause the menu button to not function on your HTC Hero (the joys of Android platform fragmentation), but you will need to be logged in to your Premium account before the Infield will be accessible.

Thanks Jordan, got it to work now. I had to reboot and now it's all good ;)
Awesome app, love it 👍

The visitor messages page, acessed everytime I click on my profile name in the upper right corner of the screen in a regular browser.

To put it simple, my profile page.

Oh, yes, your profile page. I don't think that will be part of the Forum Runner platform as it supports a wide range of message board software.

Love this app! One thing though, everytime I try to report a post it comes up with an error... I know it's not important, but when I see someone not using the Shift key it bugs me. :lol:
If you implement the chat well this may just become my favourite app ever! :P

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Allyn

Any for Blackberry devices?

If anyone else is curious: the website actually looking pretty great in the browser anyway. Wasn't perfect with OS5 but working pretty awesome with OS6.

I love this app, but I find myself often using the mobile setting of the forums themselves instead of actually using the app since the app does not show all the subforums, which makes them impossible to access.

Is there any way that the app can show them all?

Do you have any specific examples, Coxis? All subforums should be available in the app.

Works fine on the Xoom. I too had a bit of trouble finding the login button; considering how often it's been mentioned I wonder if it might be a good idea to make it a bit easier to find.

Once you log in, is there a way to log out again?

Do you have any specific examples, Coxis? All subforums should be available in the app.

Sorry, Jordan... It seems I was mistaken. I think I confused this issue with another seemingly real issue.

When browsing the main page (the news page) on a mobile browser, there is no link to access the other areas of the site, but most importantly the forums. I think this is because the Android app is designed to do the site navigation via the app itself and not via the regular links. You might have designed the mobile website around the app...?

So, if you browse to the mobile news portal there is no way to access the forums unless you know the actual URL (gtplanet.net/forum) which could represent a problem for members not using/unwilling to install the android app.

Yes, I had to remove the link from the forums within the mobile site's menu as people were using that to access them, and then incorrectly stating and assuming that the app was useless. There's no way to tell if a user is accessing the mobile version of the site through their regular mobile browser or the GTPlanet app, so there is no simple way to address the problem (other than linking to a special page which explains the situation, which is probably what I'll end up doing).

Well, it's perfectly understandable that you'd want people to use that app since you created it (I assume) and it isn't half bad. It's not a major problem to be sure, but it could be bad for GTPlanet on the off-chance that someone that has never been to the site visits it via a mobile browser, thus thinking that there are no discussion forums on the site. Very low chances of that happening, though.

Either way, not a major issue in the long run.

Great app, well worth downloading.

2 questions: Does the [xx]-[/xx] code work with the app? And is it possible to zoom in while viewing pictures?

Aside from that, it really is a great app.

Well, it's perfectly understandable that you'd want people to use that app since you created it (I assume) and it isn't half bad. It's not a major problem to be sure, but it could be bad for GTPlanet on the off-chance that someone that has never been to the site visits it via a mobile browser, thus thinking that there are no discussion forums on the site. Very low chances of that happening, though.

Either way, not a major issue in the long run.
For the record, I didn't personally create the mobile applications - they are customized versions of the Forum Runner platform and were/are developed by that company at my direction.

Great app, well worth downloading.

2 questions: Does the [xx]-[/xx] code work with the app? And is it possible to zoom in while viewing pictures?

Aside from that, it really is a great app.
On the iOS app, basic formatting codes work, such as bold and italic, but others, such as YouTube tags, will only be visible after you tap on an individual post to view the "full version". Pictures can also be zoomed in with the iOS version - I assumed the Android app functioned the same.

Nah you can't zoom in on the pictures on Android.
You click on the little picture to bring up a page which displays it as a regular picture, not a thumbnail, but you can't zoom in on them.
So if it's a tiny picture you are screwed.

All the rest is tip top though 👍

Thanks for creating a good looking and easy to use app, it's great for quickly checking in on the tourney races i'm in whilst I'm out and about - defo one of the most used apps on my phone since I downloaded it.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 and was having problems logging in at first so for people who also may have been having problems logging in - I have found that it's not possiblle to log in from the news page. What I had to do was select the Forums sections (much like you have to do on the regular site) and the log-in option was available in the menu after I did that.

Hope this helps.

Help me!!! I was looking for something on the Android app this morning, and pressed the menu button. It came up with an option saying 'moderation menu' and, curious, I selected it. The thread was one that had already been closed. It gave me the option to move the thread. So I thought, 'will it work?' Cautious not to upset the mods, I tried moving it to the category that it was already in - and it let me! Nothing saying I can't move it because I'm not a mod or anything! Is it only my phone that thinks I'm a moderator?

EDIT: I've just tried to do the same thing on a thread that was open, and there was no Moderation Menu option.

Last edited:
All users can move their own threads. To do so on the "regular" version of the site, check the Thread Tools menu in the red bar at the top right of the page.

Jordan or anybody help.I just got my new Android Phone today but when I Download the APP it says it's not compatible .Help please !

Back