iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Sitting on the grid hit F4 for your fuel and then hit space bar to uncheck it, and then the same for tires but use F5 and direction arrows to uncheck each tire.

Wouldn't be smart to leave tires checked, and have the option to change them turned on, case you get wheel damage(which admittedly, in my case, is almost always the reason I enter the pits)?

2ND WIN THIS WEEK AT MOSPORT! :D

Amazing race, not per lap times but the mental battle I had with 2nd place. I was so quick I pretty much lapped everyone up to 3rd place with just 2nd on my tail. After a while I noticed he was dropping off (not due to accidents) and my experience kicked me, I was pretty sure he was waiting for me to have an accident, I straight away lowered my lap times, was very cautious when lapping cars making sure that they gave me 100% room to overtake, then I noticed he realised what I was doing and started to pressure me again, went on and off, on and off for like 15 laps, it was insane mental pressure being the guy chased, Kept looking at F3...last 3 laps was mental....he pretty much realised what I was doing in response, so I slowed right down to get clean, incident free laps, and as luck would have it, almost causing me to spin out but again, experience kicked me (I had about 4 DNF this week), and steered my Skip right.

Despite this, still not truly loving the Skip. It is such a soap opera. I know some people love this, but it does shock wonders for your ratings and stats. Whilst I know this isn't important, these ratings however do determine who else you race with and what cars you may drive so stats = very important.

I want the MP4 now!

2ND WIN THIS WEEK AT MOSPORT! :D

Amazing race, not per lap times but the mental battle I had with 2nd place. I was so quick I pretty much lapped everyone up to 3rd place with just 2nd on my tail. After a while I noticed he was dropping off (not due to accidents) and my experience kicked me, I was pretty sure he was waiting for me to have an accident, I straight away lowered my lap times, was very cautious when lapping cars making sure that they gave me 100% room to overtake, then I noticed he realised what I was doing and started to pressure me again, went on and off, on and off for like 15 laps, it was insane mental pressure being the guy chased, Kept looking at F3...last 3 laps was mental....he pretty much realised what I was doing in response, so I slowed right down to get clean, incident free laps, and as luck would have it, almost causing me to spin out but again, experience kicked me (I had about 4 DNF this week), and steered my Skip right.

Despite this, still not truly loving the Skip. It is such a soap opera. I know some people love this, but it does shock wonders for your ratings and stats. Whilst I know this isn't important, these ratings however do determine who else you race with and what cars you may drive so stats = very important.

I want the MP4 now!

Hi,
Are you OK? Did you see my post above for you?

Hi,
Are you OK? Did you see my post above for you?

Hmm..I did, the one where you asked if I quali or not?Sorry I missed it.

I did qualify, I do think qualifying is important now. Although there are some upfront accidents from time to time, I still think it would only be same if not better than mid pack.

I am not the highest SOF in my group. :) Normally about 7th - 11th.

I don't know Troy? but I am sort of the same, win it or bin it - however I know I need to change, starting this week I will try to be more "simply finish the race" vs a win.

Wouldn't be smart to leave tires checked, and have the option to change them turned on, case you get wheel damage(which admittedly, in my case, is almost always the reason I enter the pits)?
Hi Isamu, I don't think it makes a difference, as far as I know your damage will be fixed wether you change tires or not. I'm not too sure maybe someone else can confirm.

Despite this, still not truly loving the Skip. It is such a soap opera. I know some people love this, but it does shock wonders for your ratings and stats. Whilst I know this isn't important, these ratings however do determine who else you race with and what cars you may drive so stats = very important
Hey Swift, 1st-congrats on your wins this week (even though it should've been more ;) ).
2nd- I'm curious as to why you think the higher class/series races will be better for your iR/SR ratings, as far as I know your rating hits are bigger the higher the class/series you race in, in other words, mistakes cost you more the more you move up. Again I'm not 100% on this maybe again someone else can confirm this.

Guys, you REALLY need to go read the iracing documentation if you don't even know how to change your pit adjustments or how to map a button. Chances are if you don't know those simple things then you don't know the Sporting Code either.

Some of us have read it along with alot of other things. Sometimes being new its hard to remember everything you read and where you read it. So you ask for a little help.Thanks for all yours by the way. :indiff:

Some of us have read it along with alot of other things. Sometimes being new its hard to remember everything you read and where you read it. So you ask for a little help.Thanks for all yours by the way. :indiff:

Then I don't know what to tell you. Its your responsibility to know the sporting code and to abide by it on track. How to map buttons (FFS you have to do that the first time you load the sim and people have no idea how to reset their car?) is hidden away in the controls menu (no common sense required) and you should have looked at all the black boxes out of curiosity once you knew they exist.

What does the sporting code have to do with asking about some button functions. You dont have to tell me anything I didnt ask you anything. If you dont want to help by answering a question then dont, but dont come talking some nonsense about the sporting code when it has nothing to do with the question. Again thanks for all your help. :dunce:

Hey Swift, 1st-congrats on your wins this week (even though it should've been more ;) ).
2nd- I'm curious as to why you think the higher class/series races will be better for your iR/SR ratings, as far as I know your rating hits are bigger the higher the class/series you race in, in other words, mistakes cost you more the more you move up. Again I'm not 100% on this maybe again someone else can confirm this.

Yeah a mistake can end the race for ya in the upper levels sure. So your iRating will take a hard swipe. Plus, they have all these splits in Class D so not much SOF in them.

On the flipside, your SR will take a severe beating in the Skip (*but your iRating might be ok cause you get a full repair, I never had to totally quit a skippy race ever)

That being said, I think Swifty has a lot of talent. He's winning races left & right now. Hard to say what he should do next. I'd like to see how he does in another series out of curiosity. He might just kill it a lot more. He's already got the skill, etc. The cars will be more forgiving. They will be harder to push to the top end.... But maybe not hard "for him" to push it.

Looking forward to seeing how he does

I probably didn't say it correctly.

What I was trying to say is that the Skip is difficult (soap opera) and thus, whilst may be fun for some, it does hurt your SR and iRating by quite a bit and therefore impacts your ability to drive other cars. Thats all. :)

For example, I am about 6 weeks into the Skip, still in D Class and my irating still is a shocker - although I have 0 intentions right now to switch cars mid season or wanting to get to a higher level, someone else may be in my position and will find it hard to race well in the Skip whilst balancing enough irating/SR to race a HPD for example.

Skip simply punishes hard. Very hard. I mean we are all human, I see it all the time that some A Class driver, misses apex by an inch, slides off, gently taps the wall (very gentle) and his wheel is damaged = -100 irating, SR drops by -0.20 or something.

That being said, I think Swifty has a lot of talent. He's winning races left & right now. Hard to say what he should do next. I'd like to see how he does in another series out of curiosity. He might just kill it a lot more. He's already got the skill, etc. The cars will be more forgiving. They will be harder to push to the top end.... But maybe not hard "for him" to push it.

Looking forward to seeing how he does

It's thanks to people like you and others who are giving me tips here and there to be honest. Also about putting in some effort and trying hard to improve (my mosport is 1.33.5 vs 1.32.7 WR or something).

Whilst not trying to sound like showing off online, I do think my times are good enough to push even the better drivers here in the Skip - but I lack, whilst small, such a critical part of being a true driver (the mental side). I simply bin it too much...whilst I am improving (my 2nd win this week is a good example where I stopped pushing given my lead).

I mean my stats this week were like:
3rd (came from a full lap down to catch up)
1st
DNF
DNF
DNF
DNF
DNF
1st.

Shockingly, in all of those "DNF's" I checked lap times etc and I would of gotten 1st in like 2 of them, and top 3 etc in others. I keep reminding my myself to race within my limits etc, just aim for top 5, but I keep binning it...struggling massively on the "mental" side of racing... :( it's like green light = aggro on.

I totally agree on the car though sandbox, if they release a car that I like, I will change and I am sure my irating will increase dramatically. I sneeze in the Skip and its like -100 irating. Annoying!

Last edited:
It's funny, I did some testing in the HPD last night and thought I was doing pretty decently at Laguna Seca. I haven't really driven the HPD much at all. My best lap was a low 1:19 after about 25 laps........so I decide to join a race.

I check the qualifying times, all 1:14's and 1:15's! There was a Corvette guy running 1:20's. My race did not go well, as I tried to push it too hard in the corners and lost it. Ended my race at lap 3 or 4.

So, I'll just reiterate what I've already said, but apparently I didn't learn from my own advice. The cars like the F1 and HPD are very easy and forgiving to drive when you are keeping it at 85-90%, but once you bump it up, they bite....HARD.

I've been on a sever downward spiral for the past week, losing almost 600 iRating. In this time I haven't had a single race without major incident. About half of the races have ended with another car taking me out and the other half with me just being an idiot and crashing without anyone's help. The two races I did tonight were over before they started because of CSP clutch problems off the line.

:indiff:

I've really got to get it together this week (starting with assigning the clutch to a wheel button).

On a positive note, I had some amazing races at Mosport and got some good highlights. If I can ever figure out how to encode the raw Fraps AVI's I'll post them here.

Swiftwilly, this may be a coincidence but all my "bad luck" started after I watched the Senna movie...
Maybe I should forget everything I saw in it. :lol:

I don't know Troy? but I am sort of the same, win it or bin it - however I know I need to change, starting this week I will try to be more "simply finish the race" vs a win.

I was SO much better off when always aiming for a top 5 finish, a podium at best.

Last edited:
I've been on a sever downward spiral for the past week, losing almost 600 iRating. In this time I haven't had a single race without major incident. About half of the races have ended with another car taking me out and the other half with me just being an idiot and crashing without anyone's help. The two races I did tonight were over before they started because of CSP clutch problems off the line.

:indiff:

I've really got to get it together this week (starting with assigning the clutch to a wheel button).

On a positive note, I had some amazing races at Mosport and got some good highlights. If I can ever figure out how to encode the raw Fraps AVI's I'll post them here.

Swiftwilly, this may be a coincidence but all my "bad luck" started after I watched the Senna movie...
Maybe I should forget everything I saw in it. :lol:

I was SO much better off when always aiming for a top 5 finish, a podium at best.

That is so painful...-600...especially trying to get the 600 again its even more difficult given the "mental barriers" that come with it. I mean, how do you approach this? The next time you go in races you will be setting yourself a higher target, i.e. winning, to claw all that back and you may end up more nervous/making more mistkes doing PB's and killing your irating even more.....

For example @ mosport I had a target of +100 irating for the week, after 2 races I was +150 i rating thinking I should walk away! guess what? I didn't, and not long after I was down - 250 for the week! I was so down, annoyed, peeved, unhappy...after a few good last wins before the week ended I beat my target and I am up +120 for the week. I need to learn, after reachign your goal, just walk away and take a break!

Had my 2nd win in the Rook Class in the MX-5 Cup at Okayama yesterday. Started from 10th on the grid.

I have to tell you, it was one of the closest and MOST intense car battles I've been in in all my time playing racing games online. Such a heated battle between 2nd and 3rd, and then 2nd and 1st. I really don't know what to say....iRacing has offered me some of the most intense racing I've experienced, and this is only in the Mazda Cup. I can imagine what races are like in series like the Star Mazda, the HPD, and the Indy class. I'm still not prepared to declare iRacing my favorite racing game of all time yet though....

.....not until the they make all 30 minute B-Class, C-Class, and D-Class series run EVER hour and EVERY day! *Then* I'd probably crown it the best of the best! :D :D :D

....I don't think it makes a difference, as far as I know your damage will be fixed wether you change tires or not. I'm not too sure maybe someone else can confirm.

.....I'm curious as to why you think the higher class/series races will be better for your iR/SR ratings, as far as I know your rating hits are bigger the higher the class/series you race in, in other words, mistakes cost you more the more you move up. Again I'm not 100% on this maybe again someone else can confirm this.

Yes your damage will be fixed if you change your tires, but you only have so many crew members so they would change the tires first then start fixing the damage after. If you have tires with not many laps it's better to un check the tires and fuel so when you stop your pit crew just fixes the damage. That way you don't waste time by changing the tires.

Ok as far as irating goes it doesn't matter what class of car you race in. You can gain and lose the same amount in any class. Here is how it works. In every official race everybody is numbered by their irating. For example there is a race with 15 cars. Everybody will be numbered 1-15. The guy with the #1 has the highest irating in the race and the #15 guy has the lowest. As a general rule if you finish in the top half of the race you will gain irating and if you finish in the bottom half you will lose irating.

How much is gained or lost depends on your number and also the strength of field (sof). If the guy in #15 car finishes 5th he is going to gain a good amount of irating probably around 70 points depending on sof. If the guy in the #1 car finishes 8th he might gain or lose 5 points. Say for example the guy that's #1 gets crashed out in the first few laps and finishes last he will lose the most points compared if the #14 guy if he finished last. If your a #1 and win the race how much you gain depends on the rest of the field. If your irating isn't much higher than everyone else you will gain more than say if you irating if much higher you will gain less.

If your a higher number you have the most to gain and if your a lower number you have the most to lose. I'd rather be a higher or middle number car in a higher sof rather than a #1 or 2 because if you get crashed out you will lose less. I hope that all made sense lol.

Black Boxes? And what is auto blip??

By black boxes they mean the black box on the right hand lower corner that shows you lap time, tires, fuel, brake bias, pit stop adjustments depending on the car, standings and relative screen which is the most important. It shows you were all the cars are around you so you know when you are catching someone and when someones is catching you. I always always have this screen on during a race.

Auto blip is so you can use paddle shifters and not have to use a clutch. It clutches the car for you on up and downshifts when you use the paddles. Its on by default I believe if you calibrate your paddles for up and down shift.

It's funny, I did some testing in the HPD last night and thought I was doing pretty decently at Laguna Seca. I haven't really driven the HPD much at all. My best lap was a low 1:19 after about 25 laps........so I decide to join a race.

I check the qualifying times, all 1:14's and 1:15's! There was a Corvette guy running 1:20's. My race did not go well, as I tried to push it too hard in the corners and lost it. Ended my race at lap 3 or 4.

So, I'll just reiterate what I've already said, but apparently I didn't learn from my own advice. The cars like the F1 and HPD are very easy and forgiving to drive when you are keeping it at 85-90%, but once you bump it up, they bite....HARD.

Yeah the HPD is my favorite road car. I'm currently leading the division 5 points championship in the gt prototype fixed setup series by about 20 points. I qualified with a 1:14.3xx last week but was mad I couldn't get a 1:13. Hit a couple 14.1's in practice. I'm not a fast guy by no means. The fast guys were doing high 1:12 low 1:13 in fixed setup. I started racing the HPD in the last 2 weeks of last season and was 2.5 seconds off the top guys when I started and now I'm about 1-1.3 seconds of them now. I hope by the end of the season I can close the gap a little more and be fighting for some wins. I've had a few 2nd's and 3rd's and normally finish in the top 5 or 6 long as I don't make a mistake or get crashed out by an idiot, but have yet to get a win in this car.

Why don't you do the Skip ;)

Hmm..I did, the one where you asked if I quali or not?Sorry I missed it.

I did qualify, I do think qualifying is important now. Although there are some upfront accidents from time to time, I still think it would only be same if not better than mid pack.

I am not the highest SOF in my group. :) Normally about 7th - 11th.

Hi,
Nice! good to hear about the quali helping. Best to control the race from the front than have to work your way through the pack!
👍

Yes, IIRC you were the highest or second highest iRATING in that win with the lower SOF (850 sof or sumfink). That meant you were expected to be on or very close to the stop step of the podium and you did win! :) 👍

haha yeah, I guess a 'benefit' of the 'win or bin' attitude is that a really fast person will be stuck with us racing sloths (big fish in little pond mentality) and probably get more wins than if racing with equals.

Hey iracers
I raced at mosport last nite and stated 7th made it through turn 1 ok, then I hear car on left and I saw that one coming, but then I move to the right a little and touched tires with the car on the right didn't see that one! Oh ship! I wrecked two cars and myself at turn 2. I felt so bad that I didn't see the car to my right, I guess having three monitors would be better for seeing cars on the sides of you! I got a couple of guys mad at me now!! Not good! Time to save up for three monitors ASAP. Peace

Mosport's turn 2 isn't the best place to fight for position either. During lap 1 if I have someone by my side I back off before going into the turns.

Another fun track for the Skip this week, Oulton Park. I'll try to race there tonight.

Hey iracers
I raced at mosport last nite and stated 7th made it through turn 1 ok, then I hear car on left and I saw that one coming, but then I move to the right a little and touched tires with the car on the right didn't see that one! Oh ship! I wrecked two cars and myself at turn 2. I felt so bad that I didn't see the car to my right, I guess having three monitors would be better for seeing cars on the sides of you! I got a couple of guys mad at me now!! Not good! Time to save up for three monitors ASAP. Peace

bummer! yeah, ship happens and we have all been there! All we can do is learn from our experience.

The game spotter is not perfect but it can help.

That is so painful...-600...especially trying to get the 600 again its even more difficult given the "mental barriers" that come with it. I mean, how do you approach this? The next time you go in races you will be setting yourself a higher target, i.e. winning, to claw all that back and you may end up more nervous/making more mistkes doing PB's and killing your irating even more.....

For example @ mosport I had a target of +100 irating for the week, after 2 races I was +150 i rating thinking I should walk away! guess what? I didn't, and not long after I was down - 250 for the week! I was so down, annoyed, peeved, unhappy...after a few good last wins before the week ended I beat my target and I am up +120 for the week. I need to learn, after reachign your goal, just walk away and take a break!

As long as I keep my iRating high enough to stay in the split I want to be in I suppose I'm not overly worried what it's at. It was a nice feeling to see it soaring upwards during the week at Brands Hatch. Points this season is what I'm after for the most part. My goal is to get in the top ten of division 3, which I've been hovering around all season.

You're right that it's a vicious circle. The last few races that have gone bad have frustrated me greatly because I've been on such a bad streak for so long. I'm going to have to really concentrate on getting top fives and not crashing to turn the season around.

What time in GMT do you normally race at?

16 to 22 GMT weekdays

Weekends all day long saturday your time. Not in your SOF though. Yet.

I did some at Oulton. Can someone explain to me where your suppose to safetly pass or let people pass here? There is no room. If I am correct, the width is even smaller than LRP? At least LRP is short so doesn't take long to hit the home straight for a pass.

I think I will drop this week. Oulton just doesn't look safe for the Skip.

Don't skip Oulton. It's the most fun track on the schedule in my opinion. Most of your passes will be because of mistakes which are easy to make there and pressuring someone for long enough will usually pay off. Last season I saw passes being made all over the track though. Britten's and Druids are the only places where you are unlikely to see any passing. Turn 4 and Knickerbrook will be scray places to pass, but people will do it.

Pretty much what Frantikk said 👍
Oulton is too much fun to skip, for me it's right up there with Brands and Mosport.....Awesome.
And same for passing too, it will be mainly from others mistakes. Last season I think I made passes pretty much everywhere, as long your in the right position and at least fully along side you should be right.
You'll be right, go hard, have fun :)

16 to 22 GMT weekdays

Weekends all day long saturday your time. Not in your SOF though. Yet.

I did some at Oulton. Can someone explain to me where your suppose to safetly pass or let people pass here? There is no room. If I am correct, the width is even smaller than LRP? At least LRP is short so doesn't take long to hit the home straight for a pass.

I think I will drop this week. Oulton just doesn't look safe for the Skip.

I ran Oulton in the MX5 two weeks ago now, missed the racing during the week so I got in the last two races on Saturday. Wrecked in both. DROP! :ouch:

First one was pushing too hard to catch someone and the second was trying to pass on the uphill left after the straight (Hislop?) on the outside. Hit the brakes at the wrong moment and sent my car into his car on lap2. Ugh.

Pretty much what Frantikk said 👍
Oulton is too much fun to skip, for me it's right up there with Brands and Mosport.....Awesome.
And same for passing too, it will be mainly from others mistakes. Last season I think I made passes pretty much everywhere, as long your in the right position and at least fully along side you should be right.
You'll be right, go hard, have fun :)

I am probably going to disagree though. you have far more experience but just at lower SOF's I see a hell of a lot of issues
1. being stuck behind someone, they don't move far enough to let you pass, you take it and stuff it - its going to be messy
2. If you want someone who is aggro to pass you, you move to the side, let them pass and they muck it up into a crash.

I see your point and your probably going to be right, but this track looks messy as when there is traffic....

I just have serious concerns of the width, and in the long straights the track doesn't expand either. Corners are also pretty tight for passing. After driving the track, the only safe passing area would be at the home straight if I am correct, given that its a ~1.50.xxx track, thats a hell of a long time to be stuck behind someone. At Mosport there were 2 places I considered safe and it was ~1.35's, LRP is the home stretch only too but thats 59's....

so the other Skip drivers, what you think? Is even starting in the pits a worthwhile strategy for this track? Can't imagine doing pole and having massively aggro/faster cars behind you on this track

Last edited:
I've got the same feelings towards the Summit Point layout they are using this week for the inRacingNews Challenge. It's way too narrow, feels like a autocross course with a couple long straights added.

I've got the same feelings towards the Summit Point layout they are using this week for the inRacingNews Challenge. It's way too narrow, feels like a autocross course with a couple long straights added.

Well I am not in contention for the championship so theres real incentive for me to drop it....and I drop laguna next week because the corkscrew + Skip low grip = killer.

I will still do time trails though, I am leading that currently and I would love to win the time trail championship in my first ever season of iracing let alone the Skip..

Back