iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
$150 isn't bad. I paid $200 for my 4 hour real life lapping session about a month ago.

There's another coming up. I'm considering rather buy the iRacing package than go out for 4 hour lapping with my own car.

......iRacing isn't for everybody, especially if you're not too interested in the particular cars/series that are offered at this time.

Good post uni. Well I am getting intrigued by the hype surrounding iRacing. But it's not the particular cars/series that's holding me back, it's the lack of other options. For example, why are we forced to use the cockpit view? Yeah I know I know...."It's the most realistic". But not all of us agree with this. I would much rather use the hood cam because the road is all I want to see. I don't need to see inside the interior of the car and its steering wheel....I already see my own real life wheel in front of me.

If iRacing offered a hood/bumper-cam view I'd be much more enthused about the sim. There are a bunch of others at RSC who say the same thing.

Played this game for nearly 2 hours last night. It was really good. In fact, I thought it was so good that I will no longer be looking forward to GT5 because don't really care about it anymore. This game is everything a racing game should be. Physics very similar to LFS, proper online racing, and realistic looking graphics, and 12 players online (at the moment) in a race. I would still say LFS is a notch above iRacing, but for having races in "public" rooms, the level of racing is amazing. Everyone is courteous and very professional. Also had my first oval race last night in the Legends. It was very exciting. Managed to finish in 4th.

I just won my 1st roadrace :) i think the rookie solstice will be at laguna seca in a few days, and that's one of my favorite tracks. Can't wait :D

I recieved my invite 5 days ago, and have since spent a few days coming to grips with the game. Jumped straight into a race and boy, its no walk in the park, got caught in someone elses mess 1st corner!

Have since improved my PB at lime rock long (my main road course atm) from a 1.07.1x down in the 1.04.3x. Am definetely looking to go for a full year subscription, iracing rocks!!

Question:

If your subscription expires, can you still practice/test/train with the cars on the tracks that you bought?

I'm interested in iRacing but I'm not interested in online racing (and I never will be). I know that there is a test/train section in iRacing. I wonder if this test/train section is still available after your subscription expires.

Is iRacing better than, let's say, Historic GT mod of GTL, (physics and graphics)?

Question:

If your subscription expires, can you still practice/test/train with the cars on the tracks that you bought?

No, the subscription covers the full service. You won't, however, have to re-purchase additional content should you cancel and then re-subscribe.

I'm interested in iRacing but I'm not interested in online racing (and I never will be). I know that there is a test/train section in iRacing. I wonder if this test/train section is still available after your subscription expires.

iRacing is truly all about online racing. There's weekly solo time-trial standings, but the overall package is primarily focused on race competition with other players. Remember, there are no AI drivers... just real people.

Is iRacing better than, let's say, Historic GT mod of GTL, (physics and graphics)?

My personal opinion is that iRacing provides the best physics and force-feedback of any sim I've run, and the laser-mapped tracks are absolutely fantastic to run on (look and feel). So yes, it beats rFactor and it's many mods in that category.

HOWEVER, there's a metric ton of stuff you can do with rFactor that you can't do (and may never be able to do) with iRacing. Example: you see a race on TV and think the car/track combo looks fun. In about 10 minutes you can find free mods for rFactor that match or come close to that combo. I've personally done this many times myself. Yes, the car/track might not be completely accurate, but it's still fun. Modding, leagues, custom skins, deep control tweaks, racing against AI... the list goes on and on.

Here's another analogy: Forza 2 vs. GT5P. GT5P provides the ultimate sim driving experience for any console when you take a single car out on the track with pro physics settings and a wheel. Forza 2 beats GT5P in every other category (online, car customization, damage, etc.). You can't replace one with the other, but we're lucky enough to have both to enjoy for what they provide.

IÂ’ve been racing this sim for the past month and, in my opinion itÂ’s the best option available for anyone serious about this hobby. The physics are spot on, the statistics and organization of events are beyond compare, and the competition is the best in the world. I havenÂ’t witnessed one wrecker yet.

As others have mentioned, it wonÂ’t appeal to everyone because of the price and the cars currently available. However, I find the price a bargain for what it provides and the vehicle variety is an excellent test of your overall skills. The Rolex Grand-Am Series has been announced as the next addition to the package and thereÂ’ll be plenty of others in the future. If you enjoy virtual racing and donÂ’t join now, you will within the next two years.

The GT series is fun but with the massive and diverse customer base it tries to attract, it will never fully cater to those who want realistic competition.

I'd say that the fidelity of the force feedback and interraction of the car and track is better in iRacing, but the gap is not huge. How can you not be interested in online racing? The best thing about racing is competing. Racing against AI or hotlapping just isn't the same.
I dont like how there's no punishment for over driving the car and shifting extremely early. Live for Speed punishes you with engine damage and clutch overheating from too harsh driving, and in rFactor, you can blow engines.

I'd say that the fidelity of the force feedback and interraction of the car and track is better in iRacing, but the gap is not huge. How can you not be interested in online racing? The best thing about racing is competing. Racing against AI or hotlapping just isn't the same.
I dont like how there's no punishment for over driving the car and shifting extremely early. Live for Speed punishes you with engine damage and clutch overheating from too harsh driving, and in rFactor, you can blow engines.
I'm not interested in online racing because I'm not interested in competing against other people. The only person I want to compete with is myself. I try to improve myself, I try to get better etc... If if I was a real race car driver, I would have become a test pilot and not actually competing in championships.
Hotlapping is the only thing I'm interested in. If I had the change to buy a real race car or a street legal race car (Atom Ariel, Exige etc...), I would go to open track days, go race on the Zolder track every thursday afternoon and try to improve my driving skills. That's why I take, IRL, private lessons in car control (defensive and offensive but more defensive lessons).

Last edited:
I'm not interested in online racing because I'm not interested in competing against other people. The only person I want to compete with is myself. I try to improve myself, I try to get better etc... If if I was a real race car driver, I would have become a test pilot and not actually competing in championships.
Hotlapping is the only thing I'm interested in. If I had the change to buy a real race car or a street legal race car (Atom Ariel, Exige etc...), I would go to open track days, go race on the Zolder track every thursday afternoon and try to improve my driving skills. That's why I take, IRL, private lessons in car control (defensive and offensive but more defensive lessons).
If you don't want to play online, then this game is not for you. The whole purpose of this game is online racing against mature people interested in sim racing.

If you don't want to play online, then this game is not for you. The whole purpose of this game is online racing against mature people interested in sim racing.
Yep, I agree. You're right, it's not for me. Shame because that's just what I want, realistic hardcore sims.
That's why I was curieus if it is possible to still practice/test after your subcription expired.

Kike what is it about competing against other people that turns you off? I'm just curious. Is it a fear or phobia you have or is it related to something else?

Kike what is it about competing against other people that turns you off? I'm just curious. Is it a fear or phobia you have or is it related to something else?
Good question.

I'm not sure myself but it has something to do with being picked at, being laughed at, being insulted on daily basis for the way I look (in school, in public, among friends, etc ...) from the age of 12 till I was about 18. They - broke - me emotionally.

It is fear of failure.

and the fact that I have a slow internet connection. I'm always suffering from the worst case of lag. It's not pleasant to play online when you have lag!

That's a pretty cool (and detailed) visual comparison by the guys at SRT. Keep in mind that the Silverstone track in rFactor is one of the best tracks available for that sim. If they did this with the best VIR or Lime Rock mod you'd see drastic differences.

Both cars also drive very, very differently in comparison to each other. Once I started with iRacing I went back to the rTrainer for some laps and it really was night and day.

Now they just need to do a Nord, Monza, Spa and Suzuka comparison... once (if) iRacing gets those tracks, which is one of the advantages of rFactor (or in my case, running both sims). Heck, there's even a very well done rFactor mod of the Grand Valley track from Gran Turismo!

I wish someone would redo tsukuba for rfactor. the current one looks so bad :( It would be a nice little track to have in iRacing too.

If you race really well, you can earn enough pts to get them for free, i think. But, if you want to win seasons in other cars, you may buy them.

I don't really know myself, since I haven't read through the manual and Code of Conduct stuff. :P I am gonna wait till this season is about to end and re-subscribe. I can probably get my ratings up to 4.99 before then

Whilst the comparison video makes them look pretty similar, its not until youve driven both that you appreciate the detail that the laser scan allows.

nothing feels like iracing - if you get the opportunity to try it, get in the skip barber car at lime rock.

pez

The laser scanned version of eastern creek is very good for rFactor. I would like to see more laser scanned tracks in that sim. there's a laser scanned canadian track for rfactor in the works as well.

iRacing goes into full launch mode later this month...

Here's the text from today's update to the main member page:

"After pledging to launch the iRacing.com service to the general public before the end of the summer, we're pleased to be able to add a specific date and time to our promise. As of 12:00 pm EST (18:00 GMT) August 26, 2008, iRacing.com will be available to racers everywhere who want to take advantage of simulation technology for training purposes, compete in the newest branch of motorsport - internet racing - and join our growing global community."

It looks like iRacing is going fully public august 26th... I am still not sure if I am going to pay for the yearly subscription:nervous: every time i play iRacing, I lean more and more towards it. But the historix mod for rfactor is still amazngly good for me. Finding a race is much easier in iRacing though...

Back