iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
The layout is pure garbage, not a single turn there has any spec of originality its all copy and pasted from other tracks. And its pretty awful when the signature corner on your track is a super tight hairpin on a hill.

My thoughts exactly.

The track lacks any flow or general layout as well.

Just checked out Chip Ganassis cup shop. Might have to buy the Chevy Cup car. It looks so good with the Target design on Larson's car.

Your coming to the light! :D

I enjoy oval racing a lot. And I own the Truck, Chevy Nationwide, and Fusion Gen 6. But, I may have to get the SS Gen 6 so I can have nice liveries like Larson's Target car this year and Danica's Pink and Green livery. Those two cars look fantastic.

I just wish that I was better on Ovals. I just don't have the balls to race that close to people, and I lack a lot of talent. I've only raced on Daytona, Charlotte, Indy, and Homestead. I'll have $15 in earned credits by the beginning of next season and will probably invest that money in a new oval. Currently can't decide between the Milwaukee Mile, Darlington, Dover, Pocono, and Kentucky. I'm not a huge fan of the 1.5 mile tracks because the car just feels too unstable and you can't really run the high line with success.

Short track or no track for me when it comes to ovals. The wide open ovals are fun to race but it really is luck of the draw that you can manage to win or place decent.

Currently can't decide between the Milwaukee Mile, Darlington, Dover, Pocono, and Kentucky. I'm not a huge fan of the 1.5 mile tracks because the car just feels too unstable and you can't really run the high line with success.

I haven't done much oval but I got Pocono a while back for some truck racing...I really enjoyed that combo. So I guess I recommend Pocono.

Oooh Dover, I used to love Dover on the old Nascar Thunder and Nascar Dirt to Daytona games for PS2. I don't remember driving it last in iRacing though. I had to relearn a ton of tracks switching from console to iRacing and a few fell through the cracks and I haven't raced very many ovals since. Even Laguna Seca, I had that like the back of my hand in GT5 but I am just "meh" on it in iRacing.

Short track or no track for me when it comes to ovals. The wide open ovals are fun to race but it really is luck of the draw that you can manage to win or place decent.
I refuse to race an oval larger than a mile unless it's a plate track.

I like the interesting shapes or tracks where you may have to use a dab of brakes. More Character to the track in my opinion. But, I agree, the larger tracks are just meh. The only reason Daytona is nice is because you don't really need that great of a setup to be competitive there.

I haven't done much oval but I got Pocono a while back for some truck racing...I really enjoyed that combo. So I guess I recommend Pocono.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of fun. And I'm sure it will stay on the Indy Oval schedule and I could use it for that as well.

I refuse to race an oval larger than a mile unless it's a plate track.

How come?

How come?
They're a dime a dozen and boring.

Also, I don't have time to learn the Jesus, Jewish God, Allah, or Tom Cruise witchcraft(hopefully everyone here gets the reference :lol: ) racing line on each one along with the perfect setup for each track so that the car doesn't fall off too much with tire wear or get undrivable.

The layout is pure garbage, not a single turn there has any spec of originality its all copy and pasted from other tracks. And its pretty awful when the signature corner on your track is a super tight hairpin on a hill.

Have you driven it in person or just driven it in one of the other sims?

I also prefer the short tracks. Iowa is a great track (1mile I think. Its multigroove and all 3 main series race there usually

I also prefer the short tracks. Iowa is a great track (1mile I think. Its multigroove and all 3 main series race there usually
Iowa is one of the next tracks I'm buying.

As far as COTA goes, it's fine from driving it on F1 2012. From watching the races there on tv, it's pretty good. Lacks originality, but it's an amazing work of engineering with plenty of passing zones.

I'm taking bets on over/under 8 cars totaled in T1 the first race I enter in GT3 there next season

I just started using ffb for the vette. Before that I shut it off. Now I keep it off for ovals and the riley. All other road cars I use ffb now. I keep the same setting every time as well. They seem to work nicely.

I dont think it really matters, its still a garbage design.

I'm just trying to understand how you come to the conclusion it's garbage? You haven't driven it, but you're basing this on ....? Guess it doesn't matter. But it does help to base opinions on something.

For me personally, I have not driven it either but I know a bunch of people who have. There is a group going out there in May. I was thinking about joining them. I personally love the flow of the track with the altitude changes. I love the look of the facilities around the track. And I plan on basing my opinion of the track on how it drives in iRacing and how it drives in my real car. I'll form an educated opinion here in a couple of months and let you know what I think.

I'm just trying to understand how you come to the conclusion it's garbage? You haven't driven it, but you're basing this on ....? Guess it doesn't matter. But it does help to base opinions on something.

For me personally, I have not driven it either but I know a bunch of people who have. There is a group going out there in May. I was thinking about joining them. I personally love the flow of the track with the altitude changes. I love the look of the facilities around the track. And I plan on basing my opinion of the track on how it drives in iRacing and how it drives in my real car. I'll form an educated opinion here in a couple of months and let you know what I think.
I don't think anyone can say it's garbage in real life, anyone that have had to work under their car in the dirt or mud in between sessions will find COTA to be heaven with its nice facilities. The layout itself, well it does look like a blast to drive it, as far as the racing goes I don't think is garbage either.
I am a traditionalist when it comes to likig or loving a track and I could see where the comment comes from as the infinite run off areas take a lot of the romance out of the corners and track itself, but seriously, who can be mad about safety??

This is my reasoning/breakdown of the track and why i hate it so much, and although the shorter "club" configuration that skips the long straight isnt bad, its still a garbage layout. And the fact the while this track feels fine in an F1 car, it is terrible in everything else.
Untitled_zpsb36abbe7.png

Most of Cota just looks plopped on there and looks unorganized. Now contrast that to one of my favorite Tracks Mid-Ohio and you see that from turn 4-13 has really good flow and perfect elevation change to make it challenging and you dont see any super sharp corners either.
Mid-Ohio.png

Last edited:
This is my reasoning/breakdown of the track and why i hate it so much, and although the shorter "club" configuration that skips the long straight isnt bad, its still a garbage layout. And the fact the while this track feels fine in an F1 car, it is terrible in everything else.

Most of Cota just looks plopped on there and looks unorganized. Now contrast that to one of my favorite Tracks Mid-Ohio and you see that from turn 4-13 has really good flow and perfect elevation change to make it challenging and you dont see any super sharp corners either.

Ok, cool. Glad to see you have your reasons. I'll be honest ... I rank tracks higher that I could possibly drive than those that I will never drive. To me, that's makes COTA the #1 track in the game. We all have different reasons for playing a sim. But for me, it's all about practice. Sure, I'd love to see MSRC 3.1 or one of our other smaller local tracks. But as of right now, COTA is all we've got. And I can't wait to drive the snot out of it.

How many people bother tweaking FFB for every track using Atlas telemetry and, if there are any, how useful is it?
I set my ffb to how I think it should feel, then do a few laps watching the ffb meter to make sure its not clipping. For the most part it doesn't change a lot, but its not the same for all tracks.

Ok, cool. Glad to see you have your reasons. I'll be honest ... I rank tracks higher that I could possibly drive than those that I will never drive. To me, that's makes COTA the #1 track in the game. We all have different reasons for playing a sim. But for me, it's all about practice. Sure, I'd love to see MSRC 3.1 or one of our other smaller local tracks. But as of right now, COTA is all we've got. And I can't wait to drive the snot out of it.
Untitled-1_zps21bea590.jpg~original

Using basically 90% of the existing layout i moved everything around to make what i believe wouldve been a much much better Cota, to me this looks like it has a little bit of flow to it.

Oh man I just did Road Runner and I tell you proper length races are just my jam. It's a shame i'm simply not good enough for the GP season.

And on a side note, COTA seems to be quiet decent in a non-modern F1 car as well.

And there are plenty of those in iracing.

I like the choppyness that COTA presents.

Ironically, my favorite two tracks are fairly different.

1. VIR
Virginia_International_Raceway_-_Full_Course.svg

No chicane btw for the VIR configuration

2. CTMP/Mosport
Mosport.svg

Back