iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Hi all

My 14 year old desktop died last night and I need a replacement ASAP so I'm picking up a laptop tomorrow.

After some research I've found out that the laptop I'm getting will run iRacing (bare bones/lowest settings) and I'm going to give it a go with the view of getting a proper gaming PC instead of a PS4 if I like it.

I just have a quick question before I sign up to iracing...which is the best anti-virus & browser to use with iRacing?

Are there any programmes that come with W8.1 that conflict with a smooth running of iRacing?

Any security suites that iRacing doesn't like?

Another quick one...if I can run iRacing on lowest settings ok, will Race Room DTM experience work ok on low settings too?

Many thanks!

Hi all

My 14 year old desktop died last night and I need a replacement ASAP so I'm picking up a laptop tomorrow.

After some research I've found out that the laptop I'm getting will run iRacing (bare bones/lowest settings) and I'm going to give it a go with the view of getting a proper gaming PC instead of a PS4 if I like it.

I just have a quick question before I sign up to iracing...which is the best anti-virus & browser to use with iRacing?

Are there any programmes that come with W8.1 that conflict with a smooth running of iRacing?

Any security suites that iRacing doesn't like?

Another quick one...if I can run iRacing on lowest settings ok, will Race Room DTM experience work ok on low settings too?

Many thanks!

I run chrome and avg on Windows 7 with no problem. It'll run RRE but itll be terrible, My laptop runs iRacing decently but RRE isnt a very good optimized game yet and to get any fps out of it you basically have to make the game look like dogs**t.

I run Windows 8.1 and everything runs smoothly. I use Internet Explorer to run it. HP Pavillion Tower with i3 and integrated graphics 2000 :D

Thanks for the replies gents...will be signing up to iRacing tonight!

I know that there's no way my laptop will play the modern sims like pCars or AC, but I'm going to give Richard Burns Rally a go too and see how that runs...got a feeling I'm going to get bitten by the PC sim bug...

Thanks for the replies gents...will be signing up to iRacing tonight!

I know that there's no way my laptop will play the modern sims like pCars or AC, but I'm going to give Richard Burns Rally a go too and see how that runs...got a feeling I'm going to get bitten by the PC sim bug...

The original rfactor might run good too. Can at least try the demo. There are a million mods for it. Although someone once said it's the Linux of racers, and they're right. You might get intimidated and scared off forever if you try that game first.

Some of the old simbim games like GTR 2 are excellent. GTR 2 also has a fantastic mod called Power and Glory 3. One of the main guys who did the physics for P&G 3, was later hired to work on Assetto Corsa. And the good thing about old games, they're from a period when PC demos existed. So you should be able to test all of them before buying.

The original rfactor might run good too. Can at least try the demo. There are a million mods for it. Although someone once said it's the Linux of racers, and they're right. You might get intimidated and scared off forever if you try that game first.

Some of the old simbim games like GTR 2 are excellent. GTR 2 also has a fantastic mod called Power and Glory 3. One of the main guys who did the physics for P&G 3, was later hired to work on Assetto Corsa. And the good thing about old games, they're from a period when PC demos existed. So you should be able to test all of them before buying.

Thanks so much for the leads Paul, will definitely checks those out!

I'll be grabbing any free-to-play sim or demo I can find and see how they run...really looking forward to my first steps into PC sim racing!

Thanks again guys.

I've been away from iRacing for quite some time, when does the new season start? And have I missed anything major?
Proto GT doesn't exist: it's now WSCS with HPD, DP, Ford GT and RUF C Spec.

Do any of you guys follow the Rift thread over at iracing? Has David made any mention of when they're hoping to have DK2 integration up?

My subscription is lapsed at the moment. But I did get the 3 months for 5 dollars e-mail. Still, I'd prefer to hold off on using it till DK2 integration is up. If it's mid-August, subscribing then would get me through mid-November (in time for the 50 percent off yearly subscriptions deal).

Do any of you guys follow the Rift thread over at iracing? Has David made any mention of when they're hoping to have DK2 integration up?

My subscription is lapsed at the moment. But I did get the 3 months for 5 dollars e-mail. Still, I'd prefer to hold off on using it till DK2 integration is up. If it's mid-August, subscribing then would get me through mid-November (in time for the 50 percent off yearly subscriptions deal).

David has said that they will get the latest SDK integrated and released when they can but that they also have other priorities as well which take precedence. So, basically it will be done but they're not committing to exactly when. I have a DK2 in the post so am keen that it is sooner rather than later!

David has said that they will get the latest SDK integrated and released when they can but that they also have other priorities as well which take precedence. So, basically it will be done but they're not committing to exactly when. I have a DK2 in the post so am keen that it is sooner rather than later!

Cool. I'll follow this thread. I'm sure you (or others) will post some impressions when it happens:)

So who is all racing the Spa 2.4h this weekend? I'm shooting for the Sat 4pm race tomorrow, probably watch the start of the 9pm race tonight to see how bad of a wreckfest eau rouge might turn out to be.

So who is all racing the Spa 2.4h this weekend? I'm shooting for the Sat 4pm race tomorrow, probably watch the start of the 9pm race tonight to see how bad of a wreckfest eau rouge might turn out to be.

I'm going to give it a go. I've only got about 7 laps of practice at the moment though so, just going to start slow and slowly build up, that way I can hopefully make it to the finish without major incident!

I really wanted to race, but my pedals have been acting up for the past 3 weeks and Fanatec only replied to my inquiry on buying new throttle and clutch sensors this week so they didn't make it here on time...

I'm thinking of it, probably will race it tomorrow night if I end up doing it. I'm confident, I just don't think I have the ultimate pace.

The race on the top split was AWESOME!!! Great racing, great strategy and very very clean overall! Shinya made it up to 14th starting from the pits so that was a very good run for him!

Well, my first race back in 3 months or so, and I was put in the top split thanks to my iRating. Ended up finishing P14 after starting from the pits. So, definitely not too bad! Going to attempt to race the same time tomorrow.

How did everyone else go?

Oh, and the grime is beautiful <3

Back