Need a Break from Gran Turismo?

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 229 comments
1 gig graphics card, 4 gigs of ram, 32bit, intell core 2 duo. its not the best but it gets the job done, slowly...
but whats the graphics card exactly? It may be it. regardless of being 1 gig, maybe its just not good enough

If i'm taking a break from all gran turismo games then i'll play...
GTA_Logo.gif

And a lot of games that i don't know which to play.

Happy to see how much almost troll free conversation this thread has brought up :cheers:

How bad must a game be to start a thread like this

This says more about you than it does the game.

If you read the OP properly, you would realise he actually appreciates GT6.

Yes.. I underline the word BREAK here. Almost all other games I have thrown in some drawer after few tens of hours never picking them up again, but I always keep coming back to GT. With all its flaws its still a great game for some competitive virtual racing.

I noticed GT5 keeps coming up in the conversations. There has been a huge difference in the lasting appeal of these games. Yes - there is the fact that GT6 is relatively close to GT5 - mostly separated by nuances of which not all gamers even notice. But the thing I think has made the biggest difference for me is a funny thing. a Thing that must have been very controversial in GT5 and has made the game better for many. What I miss is the Used Car delership. The fact that now one can just grind the money and buy any car in the game has removed a lot of the collectible and exclusivity of the car roster. It was nice to find a rare car that not everyone had, or a car that you had waited to show up. The Online Dealership took out some of that interest, but now that we have everything available almost at will, theres no challenge left in this area. I also made the mistake of buying the anniversary edition, as that made the career game way too easy. Every car needed already in the garage.. :guilty:

And as an update to my "Forza Journey". I still miss some more refined fysics, but that very tuneable Volvo 242 softened me a little bit..:D

Isn't it a beauty? My God I've never thought it was possible to pass so much feedback in a way that is so dense that you can simply understand what is happening with car almost in slow motion.

I may have exagerated a bit but I'm in love with it.
I haven't actually played AC yet (temporarily crippled PC), but I abused NKP a lot. That fundamental difference in approach to the tyre model can't really be made worse, and what I've read about AC seems to reinforce that idea.

I'm so glad that games in general are moving away from the Pacejka-like models, which were derived as a means of measuring and comparing tyres, for tyre manufacturers, to something that is more transient-based, be it the more basic brush model that most have adopted, or something more exotic like iRacings' (still pending changes) or LFS' fabled new model, or, indeed, what Kunos came up with. Richard Burns Rally was said to have a pretty revolutionary tyre model, but that's for dirt and gravel mostly, and I don't think it was that well tuned for tarmac.

This is probably only really relevant for people like me who relish that feedback, that one-on-one interaction with the car and the desire to "master" it. But that's the point; I'm not alone, so it's good that we have so many options!

I take long breaks from GT6 and I really wish I had the urge to play it more. It's already a decent game and a great car simulator, but I keep waiting for the day it catches up to include all the features GT5 had. One thing that really annoys me is how the DLC, in spite of several coherent wishlists fro the community, has been all about whatever PD sees fit. It's a matter of making sensible adjustments and adding meaningful content that divides me between being somwhat interested to playing the game on a more regular basis. Playing other games doesn't ease these subtle disappointments I have, unfortunately.

I think I'm on the verge of taking an extended break from GT and PD. Played online 3-4 days a week for the last...almost 5 years :S. Think I've tried my hand at as many different aspects of online as I can (sorry, can't be bothered with the AI offline)...I'm starting to get that feeling like I can't be bothered to turn my system on anymore.

At the core of it, I don't think it's the actual gameplay itself I'm bored with...I just have had enough of the illogical, redundant, counter-intuitive game design. Petty, I know...but it all adds up over time lol.

Aside from 400-600pp grip lobbies, good lobbies revolving around various activities are difficult to find. Even PP racing on sports tires can be tricky to find.

Pretty much every menu in the game is trash (yup, that's the way I feel), and the lack of any resemblance of community features is a 🤬 joke for 2014. Future update my ass :lol:

I realize building my PSN friend list is key to finding good rooms. But with my list populated with over 100 people (actually constantly have problems with PSN deleting friends...another part of the reason finding good rooms is frustrating)from the GT drift community, I don't have room to add people from grip racing, cruising, dragging, etc etc. Make different accounts for each activity? Maybe in GT5 were there were options to avoid the credit grind. In GT6, hell no!!

I hope that a break will bring me back (I've taken breaks for other games along the way), but it feels different this time...not sure if I'll ever feel like coming back :(.

When GT6 came out, and many of my friends and I agreed that there was nothing really in the game that kept us coming back, but that it was the people we had met within the game who kept us coming back for more. Well, GT6 certainly didn't make interacting with online friends any easier than GT5 (who are we kidding, combined with what Sony did to PS3 PSN, it's horrible).

Rambling now :lol:

Side note, Genki and all those old TXR games are amazing!!! Still go back to them from time to time

I`m planning on an extensive break from GT6, (3 months or so.) and gaming in general.

The reason is, that GT6 doesn`t give me the same feeling of pleasure it did 2-3 months ago. I just feel I`m doing the same things over and over again every day.

Also, the online lobbies drive me crazy! My network is pretty bad, and I rarely find a room I like to drive in. The reason for this is that almost any car driven by someone in an online lobby which has over 200 hp or so, is fitted with Sport Hard-Soft and/or Racing Hard-Soft. I mostly enjoy driving my cars on Comfort Hard-Soft Tyres, because it gives me a better feeling overall.

I`m also having a tough year ahead of me, so gaming is on the bottom of my priority list. I`ll still be on GTPlanet though, simply because I LOVE the site. :gtpflag:

A quick check of your posting history suggests otherwise. So were you lying then, or now?
And what made me think you would quote my post?

If you were a half decent detective, you would see that I played for the duration of about half a beer just after the pathetic Senna content was released. Now go away.

Gtr2-win-cover.jpg

Why, you ask?

Because:

- Maserati MC12, Viper GTS-R, Corvette C5R, Ferrari 575, Porsche 996 GT3 etc.
- Day/night transition on every track
- 60+ cars on track (depending on track)
- Community created add-ons, such as SCC Prototype, Super GT and F1 mods and a lot of extra circuits as well

I should perhaps note that I still play (and enjoy) GT6 on a daily basis, I just see GTR 2 as a nice "sidekick" (that's the closest I can come to what I mean)

Last edited:
This thread made me feel not going back to this site anymore (I better stay in PS forum). I've been playing GT6 daily since I bought the game last May and you guys sounds like you're not a true fan of Gran Turismo. I don't get why everyone prefer GT5 over GT6 when I find the new one pretty cool (I haven't played GT5 because of jealousy back when I haven't owned PS3, I only played GT2, GT4 and GTPSP). I don't feel good anymore.

During my break from GT6 I have gone back to a game I got off the PSN. Final Fantasy VIII :D Forgot how annoying the final bosses were in this game.

Also played Far Cry 2 & 3 as well :D

Side note: How awesome would it be to be able to get GT1 & 2 off the PSN. They are classic PS games after all :D

This thread made me feel not going back to this site anymore (I better stay in PS forum). I've been playing GT6 daily since I bought the game last May and you guys sounds like you're not a true fan of Gran Turismo. I don't get why everyone prefer GT5 over GT6 when I find the new one pretty cool (I haven't played GT5 because of jealousy back when I haven't owned PS3, I only played GT2, GT4 and GTPSP). I don't feel good anymore.

Just be happy that you still enjoy it on a daily basis. By the way, what is a true fan? I think it's good that people see our beloved GT series through critical lenses rather than praising everything about it (fanboy-style). Also, I don't really prefer GT5 over GT6. The latter has improved on many levels but I think the lack of important features make it less welcoming.

I haven't played GT in about a month, not replaced it with something else, & not missing it much either.

:indiff:

You don't understand why people prefer GT5 over GT6...but you haven't played GT5? You need to have played GT5 to be able to understand why people feel that way.

I have trouble understanding people who's enjoyment depends on feedback from others, whether it's positive or negative. If people don't share your opinion or aren't ''true fans'', so what? It's a discussion board, not a circle jerk.

You don't understand why people prefer GT5 over GT6...but you haven't played GT5? You need to have played GT5 to be able to understand why people feel that way.
You don't need to have played to understand why other people feel that way. You only need to have played to actually feel that way, and the one does not directly imply the other, i.e. there are people who have played GT5 who prefer GT6.

If it's explained properly, anyone can understand any other point of view.

OP, I've owned GT5 and currently own FM4. I can assure you F4's physics are far more accurate and the driving model brings a lot more adrenaline and excitement than GT5.

Before writing it off, I'd recommend the following:

* Give yourself time to get used to the X360 controller. The PS3's controller feels and reacts a little differently to inputs. Besides, GT's control is smooth, controlled and somewhat slow, with a controller. FM4's is faster and you have to be much more precise with inputs. The driving model is relatively unforgiving.

* Stick to normal steering at first, as SIM isn't everybody's cup of tea on a controller. It may prove to be more than your appetite can handle, initially! Once you master it though, you would rarely want to drive without it.

* Go with simple manual, man w/clutch on a controller just feels plain wierd.

* Keep inside deadzones to zero, outside zones to max.

* Keep all assists off.

* Once you start to get used to the driving model, start experimenting with tuning, to see how cars are affected. This aspect T10 has nailed particularly well.

* Do plenty of hotlapping on different track layouts to come to terms with the physics. You will be superglad once you accomplish this, and going back to GT will feel stale and boring, I can almost guarantee that!

The Nurb in FM4 probably isn't the best, and has been openly criticized even by the most loyal of T10 fans. I think it's O-K. FM3's version is better. But yeah, T10 admits this and the FM5 version is one sweet ride. All in all, I don't mind F4's version, it still is challenging enough. I don't pay much attention to the visuals. It's sound and physics that keep me immersed in the experience from start to finish.

OP, I've owned GT5 and currently own FM4. I can assure you F4's physics are far more accurate and the driving model brings a lot more adrenaline and excitement than GT5.

Before writing it off, I'd recommend the following:

* Give yourself time to get used to the X360 controller. The PS3's controller feels and reacts a little differently to inputs. Besides, GT's control is smooth, controlled and somewhat slow, with a controller. FM4's is faster and you have to be much more precise with inputs. The driving model is relatively unforgiving.

* Stick to normal steering at first, as SIM isn't everybody's cup of tea on a controller. It may prove to be more than your appetite can handle, initially! Once you master it though, you would rarely want to drive without it.

* Go with simple manual, man w/clutch on a controller just feels plain wierd.

* Keep inside deadzones to zero, outside zones to max.

* Keep all assists off.

* Once you start to get used to the driving model, start experimenting with tuning, to see how cars are affected. This aspect T10 has nailed particularly well.

* Do plenty of hotlapping on different track layouts to come to terms with the physics. You will be superglad once you accomplish this, and going back to GT will feel stale and boring, I can almost guarantee that!

The Nurb in FM4 probably isn't the best, and has been openly criticized even by the most loyal of T10 fans. I think it's O-K. FM3's version is better. But yeah, T10 admits this and the FM5 version is one sweet ride. All in all, I don't mind F4's version, it still is challenging enough. I don't pay much attention to the visuals. It's sound and physics that keep me immersed in the experience from start to finish.

You're trying to say you know what feels more realistic when using a controller?
Get a wheel and some real life driving experience before you try to start another FM v GT war.

I've owned FM4 and I'll tell you this, GT is miles ahead of FM physics wise.

You're trying to say you know what feels more realistic when using a controller?
Get a wheel and some real life driving experience before you try to start another FM v GT war.

I've owned FM4 and I'll tell you this, GT is miles ahead of FM physics wise.
How about GTP add to the AUP that only people who own high end wheels can comment on the physics or handling model of any racing game? You do realize that controller users can be and are extremely fast, so using simple logic we can deduce that they must intimately be in tune with the underlying physics engine of GT, Forza etc?

Back