perhaps GT6 is falling behind.

• Thread starter JBranco
  • 551 comments
I'm in a unique position here. I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to state what was supposed to happen, but all I can say it was confirmed and then something apparently went terribly wrong.
Oh that's SO unfair! :lol:

Uhm... can I be a mod? No, actually I'd be the worst mod ever. I wouldn't even look sideways at posters as much as Famine, who is really pretty cool.

So, this is fun. Now I'm wondering if this might be yet another indication that trying to get too ambitious with PS3 just won't work. There are a few things that seem to work better on PD's dev kits than do on PS3, like the increase in resolution hurting the framerate and possibly particle effect halos in the game itself. If trying to cram Course Maker II into GT6 is causing no end of troubles, as Kaz envisioned it, will we get a lightly better CM 1.5? Uhm... Prologue on PS4 this year?

Man, E3 is going to be an interesting ride, I can see it now...

Suggestion for a new News article/roundtable: What can we realistically expect for GT6 this year?

Hmmm, unrelated. Let's see. OP is about GT6 falling behind. OP says GT has "reached it's peak". So talking about the massive dip in sales is unrelated to GT6 falling behind and having reached it's peak. Some stellar logic there. 👍👍
You saying i'm clouded by adoration, and I can't see anything for what it is. Is that a good enough example of not furthering the discussion?

Can we please just end the argumentative crap? I'm not in the mood to reply to these ever changing arguments to just blindly put me down, no matter what I say.

I don't want it to continue like this, so we'll end at this. No more on it.

Last edited:
It falls behind in one way: I find the online lobbies to be lacking in number and variety. I suppose lots of people have turned away from GT6 which makes me kind of sad.

However, today I did an Arcade race with GT3 cars and I must say, it was unbelievable! The AI has improved and so has the car handling, it felt like proper racing! And whenever I go phototravel and notice the unbelievable detail they've put in the Syracuse Cathedral, for example... Breathtaking! I remember the moment when I drove the Alfa 8C at Autumn Ring... It was special.

And then you remember the amount of cars and tracks, plus the tuning options... (I would like the livery editor, no doubt) PD gave us custom wings which, I think, are a great addition. Once we get course maker, and I'm sure we will sometime, GT6 will hopefully be in another level of creativity. 👍

What I'm saying, GT6 still has Gran Turismo magic in there. And that's why we all more or less loved the previous GT games, right? I know I've joked about PD a lot, but I still believe in them.

Last edited:
What I'm saying, GT6 still has Gran Turismo magic in there. And that's why we all more or less loved the previous GT games, right? I know I've joked about PD a lot, but I still believe in them.

I am sorry, but there is no magic left! I used to love the GT series. Played since GT1 but I am just done! For years the community made constructive topics with loads of info and decent stories. If after 10 years PD fails to understand again and again it has no use in hoping something will change.

If GT6 is the first game you play then it is probably great but if you play the "same" game for 15 years it just has become the most boring and uninspired game in the world.

I am sorry, but there is no magic left! I used to love the GT series. Played since GT1 but I am just done! For years the community made constructive topics with loads of info and decent stories. If after 10 years PD fails to understand again and again it has no use in hoping something will change.

If GT6 is the first game you play then it is probably great but if you play the "same" game for 15 years it just has become the most boring and uninspired game in the world.

"Perfection needn't improvements."

Ok, the GT series isn't perfection. And I agree that it needs some new things to keep it fresh, everything on this world does. But for me, the magic still is there, maybe it's just some people that don't feel it.

Just like art: some people can love a painting, some can hate, yet none is actually right.

"Perfection needn't improvements."

Ok, the GT series isn't perfection. And I agree that it needs some new things to keep it fresh, everything on this world does. But for me, the magic still is there, maybe it's just some people that don't feel it.

Just like art: some people can love a painting, some can hate, yet none is actually right.
My federal government once paid $1.8Million for this piece of "art". I think we can all agree, they got ripped off:lol:.

267px-Voice_of_Fire_photo.jpg

Apple did good after new thinking.
PD can do great too. If they stop focus on being first on showing off Sonys technology and instead focus on costumer experience it can all be fine ( if doing both then GREAT) I think of Nintendo Wii too (sticking to same formula years later was not so good, need to do more than just graphics, abit as GT5 to GT6) Not the latest tech but userfriendly and fun, that is worth more.
Now, how can PD turn the boat around?
1. Freedom to user, let go of manufactorers demands
2. Stick to what you promise and do it in time.
3. Communicate if above is not possible

And i still have to say this, i really think it was Sony that wanted GT6 to be a ps3 game. Im sure that smart people calculated on the risks.

And also, many here would qualify as lawyers, you are accusing and defending each other and the game as in a murder trial.
Amusing it is :)

Last edited:

Subjective opinions are equaly valid on both sides of the argument.

Man, E3 is going to be an interesting ride, I can see it now...
Me too... There's going to be more broken promises for GT7 at E3 and the game itself will be the excat same game again with better graphics I bet. I really hope the interviews are super hard on Kaz, due to how GT6 ended up being after release and what it still remain as to this day. Grrr I hope pCARS and other racing games give PD the heat that frys them so bad, that news articles begin popping up saying they had layoffs due to that burn!! :mad:

No more free passes!

Me too... There's going to be more broken promises for GT7 at E3 and the game itself will be the excat same game again with better graphics I bet. I really hope the interviews are super hard on Kaz, due to how GT6 ended up being after release and what it still remain as to this day. Grrr I hope pCARS and other racing games give PD the heat that frys them so bad, that news articles begin popping up saying they had layoffs due to that burn!! :mad:

No more free passes!
Uh oh, CrazyToko has returned:mad::mad::eek::eek: :lol:

Well I respect the opinion but I find it funny, I have both PS2 and PS3 here, near me, working, with GT4/GT5/GT6. Comparing the two consoles at the same time, I think GT4 gets completely outclassed in everything, except offline events but thats because it didnt have online.

Well, there's the thing; you're comparing them at the same time.

It's no coincidence that the series' metacritic rating has been slowly going down. Just because a game improves its graphics and the quantity of content, does not make it a better game.

And that's all over-looking the obvious here; a great many of GT6's problems are not related to the PS3's relative lack of horsepower; it's down to poor design decisions.

Because real online players have real intelligente as opposed to AI which has no intelligence at all. They're far better opponents to play with. And you can chat with them too.

I remain unconvinced, since I have an example right here of a real online player that can't fathom how others prefer different things than him, and that seems a pretty simple metric for intelligence, I think we'd agree.

I would always be able to explain why I prefer football to basketball or hard rock over rap. I was just honestly asking why he prefers offline to online, I dont think its that hard to explain.

The key word is prefer, as in a preference. There is no way to empirically state basketball is better than football or vice-versa, and that's the exact same thing with people not all preferring online racing.

As an example; the main reason I'll ever turn on GT6 these days is Photomode. You can check the links out in my signature with regards to what I produce with that. Now, I think Photomode is the best part of GT6, and I enjoy it more than any other feature (which is funny, since it's also worse than its GT5 counterpart). So why don't you like it as much as me, then? You must get into Photomode as much as our active sub-forum does, you're not truly enjoying the game until you do.

...see now?

It's no coincidence that the series' metacritic rating has been slowly going down. Just because a game improves its graphics and the quantity of content, does not make it a better game.

I guess it's the lack of originality that does it, as I said, I agree that the GT series needs something new to freshen up the series.

And that's all over-looking the obvious here; a great many of GT6's problems are not related to the PS3's relative lack of horsepower; it's down to poor design decisions.

I remain unconvinced, since I have an example right here of a real online player that can't fathom how others prefer different things than him, and that seems a pretty simple metric for intelligence, I think we'd agree.

The key word is prefer, as in a preference. There is no way to empirically state basketball is better than football or vice-versa, and that's the exact same thing with people not all preferring online racing.

As an example; the main reason I'll ever turn on GT6 these days is Photomode. You can check the links out in my signature with regards to what I produce with that. Now, I think Photomode is the best part of GT6, and I enjoy it more than any other feature (which is funny, since it's also worse than its GT5 counterpart). So why don't you like it as much as me, then? You must get into Photomode as much as our active sub-forum does, you're not truly enjoying the game until you do.

...see now?
I dont care much about game ratings, because in the end they are only opinions. And sometimes the GT6 reviewers were just casuals of racing games which confirms that you should not take the reviews as absolute truth or something like that.
You can go to metacritic, try a low score game and you maybe will love it, and the opposite, you might dislike a game with a very high score.
Being a moderator does give you the right to disrespect me btw? Im an intelligent guy and of course I respect other peoples opinions and different views. Personal attacks usually means people have no arguments... not to say that forum discussing intelligence and racing intelligence have nothing to do with each other, but oh well.
Still waiting for someone to tell me the reasons to play against the AI over a human, it's a simple question that I'd like someone to answer me but so far no one has.
I'm not talking about "this better than that", I'm asking "why you prefer this over that"

I dont care much about game ratings, because in the end they are only opinions. And sometimes the GT6 reviewers were just casuals of racing games which confirms that you should not take the reviews as absolute truth or something like that.
You can go to metacritic, try a low score game and you maybe will love it, and the opposite, you might dislike a game with a very high score.
Being a moderator does give you the right to disrespect me btw? Im an intelligent guy and of course I respect other peoples opinions and different views. Personal attacks usually means people have no arguments... not to say that forum discussing intelligence and racing intelligence have nothing to do with each other, but oh well.
Still waiting for someone to tell me the reasons to play against the AI over a human, it's a simple question that I'd like someone to answer me but so far no one has.
I'm not talking about "this better than that", I'm asking "why you prefer this over that"

For me it's less presure, also, no consequences when you hit someone. I'm usually good at supporting pressure but I sometimes want to just have a calm race.

I guess it's the lack of originality that does it, as I said, I agree that the GT series needs something new to freshen up the series.
In my opinion what they need is to make up their minds what they want to be, a "Real Driving Simulator" or a racing simulator. If it's driving, then give us streets, traffic etc. and let us drive. If it is racing then give us real racing, practice, qualifying, grid starts and series. No more 5 lap chase the rabbit scenarios and hot lapping.

I don't think I have ever had more than one race online. In fact, I really don't play anything online. I have several reasons. The first is maturity. Unless I join a series, I am going into a room blind. I don't know who's in the room, and generally, its full of morons. Morons who can't race. Who can't speak without dropping f-bombs over and over. I don't want to go into a room, and no matter how I drive, I get called an 🤬 by a 13 year punk. I have to much of a temper for that crap. I have to much self respect. Then, if you don't play along, you get booted mid race. Now let's talk about glitches. I love racing only for the game itself to throw a month key wrench into the mix.

I do know that not every room is this way. But my time is important to me. I don't want to spend it trying to find the right room to play in. I'd rather just pop in a disc and race the way I want right away.

Online is just not appealing to me.

...and of course I respect other peoples opinions and different views.

Really? I remember this...

I think you are so perfectionist its ridiculous.
(snip)One thing I would say, if the lack of leaderboards are for you an impediment... then I find it pathetic. You play games to have fun, or only to try to be high on the leaderboard, to show off to your friends? I mean come on...

After I went through in great detail explaining to you my perceptions of the game and why it doesn't suit my needs.

Why would you expect someone else to do the same, so that you can abuse them some more?

In my opinion what they need is to make up their minds what they want to be, a "Real Driving Simulator" or a racing simulator. If it's driving, then give us streets, traffic etc. and let us drive. If it is racing then give us real racing, practice, qualifying, grid starts and series. No more 5 lap chase the rabbit scenarios and hot lapping.

See your point, especially about the racing part. At least they gave us quali options online which is certainly a step forward. But GT1's A-spec pre-race quali system would be welcome. 👍 And an implemented community for series' organisation.

The free roaming with traffic lights 'n' stuff, I think it's a bit too complicated too implement into an already massive game. I would love to have it alongside the racing part though. But then, a new generation of gaming is here so who knows...

Unsurprisingly, you miss the point. Again.

At the time, GT4 (and 3, and 2, and 1) were regarded in relation to their genre much more favourably than GT5 or 6 ever were. They were better games at the time.

And casuals are by and large the purchasers of the game, so I think having a casual review it is more than fair.

of course I respect other peoples opinions and different views.

Except when you don't, which has been pointed out repeatedly in this very thread (most recently by @Imari).

They have, numerous times; you just don't accept the answers. Some people simply don't like putting in the effort on the crap-shoot that is maybe finding decent online players. A matchmaking system would help immeasurably, but according to you - simply because you find it acceptable - the online features are more than enough.

I think it may be GT5 that's why GT6 is falling behind at the moment when GT5 sever closes down in may things might improve let's hope it does but we have to wait and see.

I think it may be GT5 that's why GT6 is falling behind at the moment when GT5 sever closes down in may things might improve let's hope it does but we have to wait and see.

Unfortunately, I don't see any reason to think that's the case.

The online service might improve as they bring more computing power to support it, although it's mostly P2P so probably not. But in terms of features and content, I don't see how switching the GT5 servers off changes a thing.

Really? I remember this...

After I went through in great detail explaining to you my perceptions of the game and why it doesn't suit my needs.

Why would you expect someone else to do the same, so that you can abuse them some more?
Even though you think the opposite, I'll still say that I havent disrespected your opinion, i just strongly disagreed, believe me.
And casuals are by and large the purchasers of the game, so I think having a casual review it is more than fair.
I so disagree with this, reviewers should always be experts, people who really know what they talk about... not casuals

They have, numerous times; you just don't accept the answers. Some people simply don't like putting in the effort on the crap-shoot that is maybe finding decent online players. A matchmaking system would help immeasurably, but according to you - simply because you find it acceptable - the online features are more than enough.
I do accept the answers but I try to convince them to change their mind. Is this forbidden?
Sometimes it seems we live in different words. For me in my country the bad players represent about 10% of total, the good players are the rest.

Even though you think the opposite, I'll still say that I havent disrespected your opinion, i just strongly disagreed, believe me.

I don't need to believe. Because it's not about what you think you're doing, it's about how what you're doing is perceived by others.

If someone is being sexually harassed, it's not about whether I was trying to sexually harass them. If they feel sexually harassed, then that's a problem right there and I would need to look into my behaviour to try and address the problem.

I don't see how being a disrespectful jerk is any different.

Besides, I don't see how you can disagree with my opinion of how I find the game to be. I haven't said that you should find it the same way, I've been very clear on several occasions that it's nice that you're enjoying it. But when I explain my perception, you get right in there and tell me that I'm wrong to feel the way I do.

Why is that? Why is your opinion of the game more correct for me than my own opinion? How do you know more about how I should feel than I do?

That is the definition of disrespect for another person's opinion. If you don't think so, you need to look up what disrespect means in English again, because there's obviously something being lost in translation.

Maybe in Barcelona calling someone a ridiculous perfectionist or pathetic isn't rude. I'll tell you right now, in almost every English speaking culture simply saying those words, regardless of the intention behind them, is extremely rude.

If you want to disagree without being disrespectful, then you may want to look at choosing your words with a LOT more care. Second language or not, you clearly understand well enough what you're saying that you can choose to use language that is not offensive if you wish.

I don't need to believe. Because it's not about what you think you're doing, it's about how what you're doing is perceived by others.

If someone is being sexually harassed, it's not about whether I was trying to sexually harass them. If they feel sexually harassed, then that's a problem right there and I would need to look into my behaviour to try and address the problem.

I don't see how being a disrespectful jerk is any different.

Besides, I don't see how you can disagree with my opinion of how I find the game to be. I haven't said that you should find it the same way, I've been very clear on several occasions that it's nice that you're enjoying it. But when I explain my perception, you get right in there and tell me that I'm wrong to feel the way I do.

Why is that? Why is your opinion of the game more correct for me than my own opinion? How do you know more about how I should feel than I do?

That is the definition of disrespect for another person's opinion. If you don't think so, you need to look up what disrespect means in English again, because there's obviously something being lost in translation.

Maybe in Barcelona calling someone a ridiculous perfectionist or pathetic isn't rude. I'll tell you right now, in almost every English speaking culture simply saying those words, regardless of the intention behind them, is extremely rude.

If you want to disagree without being disrespectful, then you may want to look at choosing your words with a LOT more care. Second language or not, you clearly understand well enough what you're saying that you can choose to use language that is not offensive if you wish.
I didnt say you were pathetic or ridiculous though, I suppose you understood it. And perfectionist is rude?
Well, nevermind....
English is my 3rd language btw.

Latest Posts

Back