Spyker to unveil 911 competitor

I thought the Aileron was the perfect refresh for the C8 & was a stunning looking car. So, when I saw the teasers, I thought that's where maybe they were going with this. Guess not.

What's with such high arching hips?

This doens't look bad, imo. I've never been much of a fan of Spyker's design (both inside and out), but this isn't the worst car I have seen out of Geneva.

With that said, their cars have always kind of catered to a certain kind of crowd (I have a relative who is heavily into "old school" design and materials, and goes goo goo ga ga over the brands aircraft heritage).

I saw a photo fo this car from a higher angle, and I think that it will look smashing on the road. The angles of many press shots are low, so the grille looks bigger and more dominant.

The B6 Venator are more better look than C8 imo.

Sorry for the upcoming picture spam:

1060444-1024.jpg

1060445-1024.jpg

2013_Spyker_B6Concept-1-1024.jpg

2013_Spyker_B6Concept-2-1024.jpg

Good lord that interior :drool:

£100,000 for a car that hasn't even got 400hp, though? Looks like they're pulling a bit of a Lexus here.

It looks slightly better in those new images, but i still think Porsche has nothing to worry about. I think it's a very niche car, what with it's 'Dan Dare' interior and all, like i said before: not my cup of tea, but i suppose i can see why it would appeal to some.

What's with such high arching hips?

That's what immediately struck me too but then again it wouldn't be a true Spyker if there wasn't something a little odd about it. ;)

Dunno, maybe it'll grow on me (I like the rest of the car though) and if they're really able to make this car for the aimed price tag it could really be a success and tempt plenty of buyers away from a 911 or R8 who want something a bit more exclusive or boutique for the same money (but still demand quality/reliability), a successful moneymaking Spyker would be a first though.

I've been unsure about it 'till ZEROX posted those photos above. Now I'm sold. Always loved Spyker's cars and this is no different.

On the power/price issue, it isn't personally something that'd bother me. Not that I'm in a position to buy anyway, but Spyker has always been more about the design and the details than the outright power. Worth it for the craftsmanship and rarity, IMO.

Agree on the power part, I think Spyker always ensured the performance of their models so far were 'adequate' (like Rolls-Royce used to call their power figures) within their field without ever trying to outdo other brands as their focus was more on the experience of that performance through visual, tactile and aural elements.

And let's be honest, who really needs more than 400bhp in a car like this? To me it looks like a more interesting place to experience traffic jams than anything else in this price range. ;)

analog
That's what immediately struck me too but then again it wouldn't be a true Spyker if there wasn't something a little odd about it. ;)

Dunno, maybe it'll grow on me (I like the rest of the car though) and if they're really able to make this car for the aimed price tag it could really be a success and tempt plenty of buyers away from a 911 or R8 who want something a bit more exclusive or boutique for the same money (but still demand quality/reliability), a successful moneymaking Spyker would be a first though.

Why didn't the Laviolette and the aileron make.money though?

I know style is a matter of personal tatse, and I can usually understand how someone could like something I didn't (La Ferrari, for example), but this one.... I simply don't understand how anyone could see it as anything other than a POS :lol:

The styling itself is OK, but the way it's been implemented... it just doesn't look 'sleek' (sorry, can't think of a better way of saying it). The panel depth between the top of the wheel arch and the wing top is massive... just makes the car look short and fat. The sharp crease lines on the wing tops just accentuate the look too.

And the wheels... they wouldn't work on any sports car... they look like they belong on a 'Pimp my Ride' luxo barge.

Always caught in 2 minds about Spyker interiors... can't decide if they are a bit too blingy to be considered beautiful.

Guys,the porsche -spyker thing is this...:

In many hot shot restaurants and clubs hot girls and dudes(lol)drive up in a porsche:ouch:...and all go like :yep,they are doing good!

Do they drive up in this car:drool:... people will look at this person a little different...lets say more like;look at this... artistic,different,interesting,etc etc...uhhhhmmm Dutch(lol)!!:sly:

Its not the performance they compare to the 911,its the swagger/mojo...get it?...:sly:

sorry,this comes from a Dutch man!!

:)

Spy.

Last edited:
The styling itself is OK, but the way it's been implemented... it just doesn't look 'sleek' (sorry, can't think of a better way of saying it). The panel depth between the top of the wheel arch and the wing top is massive... just makes the car look short and fat. The sharp crease lines on the wing tops just accentuate the look too.

And the wheels... they wouldn't work on any sports car... they look like they belong on a 'Pimp my Ride' luxo barge..

Disagree on all counts. The large and very sharply defined rear haunches wouldn't look right if toned down. It would take too much visual weight from the rear, exaggerating the front of the car and unbalancing the profile. You'd have a mid-engined sports car that looked like an awkward front-engined one - awkward because the cabin would look too far forward for a traditional front-engined car, but without the implied mass at the back.

In fact, it would look like a sports car with no engine. That's the only way I could describe it.

Wheels work well for me too. Spykers are ornate vehicles - any wheel design too technical in appearance wouldn't work. Though I'd like to see it with the C8's propeller-style alloys just to be sure.

For me the side profile and front three quarters are more successful than the rear three quarters, but I'd have to reserve full judgement on that until seeing it in the metal (my money is on Goodwood - someone is bound to bring it there). Like most Spykers, I also suspect it'll work best in black.

More pics:

spyker-cars-b6-venator-concept-01-630x422.jpg

Spyker-B6-Venator-rear-three-quarters-1024x640.jpg

Looks fantastic, a lot more interesting than a generic 911.
I like all the curves and the interior still has that signature Spyker look. 👍

For me the side profile and front three quarters are more successful than the rear three quarters, but I'd have to reserve full judgement on that until seeing it in the metal (my money is on Goodwood - someone is bound to bring it there). Like most Spykers, I also suspect it'll work best in black.

Looking at the rear section in that pic, I find it to be the least succesful element, somehow those rearlights don't really gel or it's that bar in the middle with the logo seemingly almost nonchalantly plastered on it.

The rest of the car seems refreshingly new with lines instead of jewel-like details taking the focus (the Aileron now just looks to me like a modernised C8 compared) although I wish the rear section slightly resembled the C8 one or was more original too.

As for the colour, I prefer that matte-grey finish in the first pic over the one shown in Geneva.

Why didn't the Laviolette and the aileron make.money though?

Maybe the models themselves could've been profitable, it's just that Spyker as a company never made any real profits, maybe that's due to questionable decisions like buying an F1 team a couple of years ago (which Muller admitted was a mistake) and going to the stock market early on (which wasn't a success), nevermind the whole Saab debacle.
If they had focussed purely on being an exclusive low-volume sportscar brand and didn't sidetrack or overreach their ambitions, it could've been profitable.

Last edited:
Yep, i'd say those rear haunches are the least successful aspect of the design, though if they were lower, it would make the car look like it's trying to hard to be a 'V12 Zagato AM'... like hfs said, it would make it look front engined instead of mid engined. I understand why some do find the rather ornate styling of the Spyker appealing, but if i were in the market for a Porsche alternative (which i don't think i ever will be), my money would go in the direction of Morgan as opposed to Spyker... (far more original/classy imo).

PS. I too would have rather have seen a rear end like that of the C8. I really did like the look of that car once i got past the silly looking shiny chrome/silver parts, and the questionable interior.

The rear bulk does look terrible. I think it would've been better had the line from the front wheel arches to the rear ones be less swoopy as it looks rather weird on the doors, and had the bulk at the rear been lower.

I think you copied the address from the wrong tab!

Has that D8 SUV ever been produced yet? Seems to be conflicting reports on the net that its in production or still in development, its such a cool looking thing IMO.

So the Venator is no go?

Is Kolles still involved in Spyker or did he move on after absorbing the human goodness, leaving husks of former people behind? That's his MO usually. Purely in my opinion, of course.

Back