What's the most difficult video game or part of it, mission, level, or bosses you ever finished?

You needed ten Espers, and then you had to speak to an NPC in the village on the far side of Ozmone Plain (he wasn't hard to find, and implied the quest if you spoke to him beforehand). That opened up Henne Mines Site B; you had to go down to the Ore Separation Facility where you fought the dragon, and turn right instead of left (which took you back to the surface). You then had to crawl through a long and difficult dungeon filled with dozens of powerful monsters that, in any other area, would be mini-bosses. A few switch-based puzzles and a labyrinth mine traversal later, and you found a lone save crystal, and Zodiark on the other side. And the fight made everything you just went through seem like replaying the first area of the game. Assuming you survived (Zodiark's attacks had a chance to cause instant death, regardless of stats), the game then deposited you in the middle of the Feywood, and while you would normally coast through the area, your characters would be seriously weakened.
After reading this, I remember I have defeated Zodiark. I was thinking Zeromus then I said "it was in the mines because I got lost there" and I accidentally fought Zodiark. I was leveling up in the Henne Mines. While looking for a save crystal I accidentally triggered the fight. I didn't know anything about it as I don't use walkthroughs or don't search for strategy. It took me at I think an hour or so to killed it. The fight was really tough but luckily my characters are LVL 95+.

You could always count on the FF series to have a decent optional dungeon - VIII had the Deep Sea Research Facility, IX had the Air Garden and X had the Omega Ruins. But XII was absolutely loaded with them; the Subterra, Henne Mines Site B, West Balfonheim Passage, Garamsythe Cloaca and the Necrohol of Nabudis were all extremely challenging, but never frustrating. The same cannot be said for the upper reaches of the Great Crystal, though.

You know, sometimes I think the developer/programmers intentionally do this crazy stuff just to lash out their anger and frustrations from their bosses to the players.
The crazy thing is that some people still clear those missions. I've seen on youtube a guy conquering final boss on "Hell or Hell" difficulty on DMC4 which means way extra tough enemies and you die if you ever get hit ONCE. Unreal.

I remember Hideo Kojima wanted to include a difficulty setting in MGS 2 that would have meant an instant game over if you were spotted (and one-hit kill in unavoidable encounters) and a function that wiped out your save file to simulate actual death.

Konami said no.

I remember Hideo Kojima wanted to include a difficulty setting in MGS 2 that would have meant an instant game over if you were spotted (and one-hit kill in unavoidable encounters) and a function that wiped out your save file to simulate actual death.

Konami said no.
I'll say no too. European Extreme is enough. 👍
Killing a boss demon, naked, with no weapon, in dark souls 2.
Fighting naked is a good strategy. I used this on hard hitting bosses like the big rat and the big dragon.

Last edited:
I'll saiy no too. European Extreme is enough. 👍
Fighting naked is a good strategy. I used this on hard hitting bosses like the big rat and the big dragon.
No it's not... :P

It was that big slug demon. He ate my armor and weapon, so I went Chuck Norris on his ass and beat the holy hell out of him. :lol:

Hardest GAME? First 3 Devil May Cry games on Must Die Mode. Go on, try it. See how long you'll last. Hardest boss battle? Ninja Gaiden Black, Alma encounter. Absolute bat**** crazy, even on normal. Unfair boss battle? Omega Weapon in FFVIII...

Went back to BIOSHOCK INFINITE the other day. The three-part fight against the Siren is ridiculously difficult, even on lower difficulty settings. It's very easy to chew through all of you ammo, salts and funds simply wiping out the minions, leaving you with nothing to fight the actual Siren.

Boss Battle with Wiegraf in Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1. I was stuck for weeks. It made me restart the play through just to prepare the battle with him. (Note: I don't use any tips or tricks or walk through when I play a game that involves a story line until I finish it)

Difficulty Level: 8/10

I'd like to change my vote to trying to play GT6 after 6 months of not turning it on.

Anybody who can sit through all those updates on the painful PSN servers and then wait for them to install are truly pioneers of gaming.

Has anyone played Shox? The "Shox wave" is really aggravating once you get to the Power class cars. Oh and lets not forget those series of races with that AI in his platinum Porsche.

Not really difficult but rather very fun and challenging. You have to keep moving and weave through salvos of missiles.

Difficulty Level: 7/10 @ Ace/S-Rank

Last edited:
Peace Walker Extra Ops 102
Yeah, that was a pain - but there's a glitch. When you enter the battlefield, there's a large, open shed behind you. If you have a cardboard box in your inventory, you can tuck yourself into the back-left corner and the guards will never see you. Getting an S-rank is a chore, but possible.

I never even made it passed the intro/first stage in this game. And I tried many, many times.

Also, I was never able to beat this:

Last edited:
And the hardest bossfight I could have beaten was Armored Core: For Answer. I never did, it was way hard taking on four NEXTs almost by oneself (the dude that goes with you dies pretty fast). But during one of those very many attempts I got down to one remaining NEXT and we were both out of ammo and no melee-weapon equipped. So we were circling around and I couldn't take him out so I quit and THEN I realised that I had Assault Armor equipped (enables a sort of particle explosion that can take out many very close standing enemies but that leaves you totally vulnerable) and could have used that unpunished!

*massively frustrated facepalm*

Last edited:
A new addition - GTA V's "Show Off" achievement. First, you have to fly a plane or a helicopter under fifty bridges. That's not too bad, and there is an (unhelpful) in-game guide to point out which bridges you need to fly under.

The frustrating part is the Knife Flights. You need to fly between two buildings in a plane while perpendicular to the ground. The problem is that there is nothing in the game to tell you which buildings you need to fly between, and some of them are extremely difficult to find, much less execute. And unlike the stunt jumps or the bridge flights, there is nothing to tell you that you have already finished on if you do it again.

Persisiting through the initial learning curve of Dota 2. Before the addition of tutorials and such. It's not so much the game itself but the rather annoying community that's quick to abuse the hell out of newbies. Ugh.

As for single player games... The final boss battle in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped. Not that difficult, but it took me SO many attempts as a kid it's not even funny. And I raged hard enough that my mom threatened to take my PlayStation away 'cause I was yelling and screaming so much :lol: Ah, good times, good times.

Any seasonal drift trial in GT6.

They all drive me mad until I gold them, and then I never go back to them again.

Thanx for this thread, it's been a nostalgic blast!

:irked:👍

Anyone who has played Final Fantasy IX knows one superboss that is beyond hard, not even 4 level 99 party can be enough to win, as it is all about luck and I mean luck.

OZMA, a giant ball, known for using Meteor that can wipe out your own party as its opening move.

Ozma was easy. All you had to do was find the eight friendly monsters and feed them to bring him within range of physical attacks. Then you put Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and either Freya or Amarant in the party, equip shadow-absorbent gear, and set all of your passive abilities to give immunity to negative statuses. Give one person a Reflect Ring and set Vivi up with Half MP, Reflect x2 and Auto-Haste. When it came time to fight, just hammer Ozma with physical attacks and cast Flare on whoever had the Reflect Ring. Keep one person in reserve to heal as needed.

Something not yet mentioned: The Land of the Living Dead in Rayman Origins. To get there, you have to complete some ridiculously hard levels anyway and then you are treated with this bit of platforming insanity where 1 tiny mistake means that you are fish food:

Still love that game to bits tho, despite it almost making me eat my DS3 due to frustration after hours of no dice! :D

From Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner,

Damaged Jehuty vs Anubis

You have no shield and only a blade, burst slash and Zero Shift (teleport) and you have to fight Anubis' arsenal of everything including its burst ball of death. This on the hardest mode rocked my socks for a full week.

Ozma was easy. All you had to do was find the eight friendly monsters and feed them to bring him within range of physical attacks. Then you put Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and either Freya or Amarant in the party, equip shadow-absorbent gear, and set all of your passive abilities to give immunity to negative statuses. Give one person a Reflect Ring and set Vivi up with Half MP, Reflect x2 and Auto-Haste. When it came time to fight, just hammer Ozma with physical attacks and cast Flare on whoever had the Reflect Ring. Keep one person in reserve to heal as needed.

So you do that....

Granted, I've never played FFVIII, nor do I paticularly see me doing so (I just got onto FFVII disc 2 before getting bored), but you might just as well have given instructions for brain surgery, lol.

Back