Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
As far as I know, the PS3 only supports broadband, so you'll have to either get a content disc or get someone to copy their downloads to you somehow.

Some new pics on the GT website posted today...

Sorry they are only small but the quality is starting to look slightly better, sharper lines better reflection and shadows...

Robin

That is a sweet Ford GT, carbon fiber body I assume. I hope they keep the first one too, it looked darn nifty as well.

GT HD is coming along nicely. I think I could wait till June if they keep loading it up with goodies like this.

That is a sweet Ford GT, carbon fiber body I assume. I hope they keep the first one too, it looked darn nifty as well.

GT HD is coming along nicely. I think I could wait till June if they keep loading it up with goodies like this.

Let's just hope the Ford GT race cars sound a little better. Did anyone take a look at that lotus video I posted? Does the sound seem any better to any of you or no? I can't really tell....I guess you could load up a Lotus Elise 111R in GT4, and try to compare the sound that way.

The Lotus sounds the same as in GT4, but then I'm not someone who has chickens if the car sound isn't perfect. When it is, it's a bonus. Just keep in mind that Kaz says GT HD is about 15% done, so using some basic math, that means there's still 85% to go, which is, you know, a lot.

All i can say is wow?
Apparently there must besomebrainwashing type of hidden code in the info
that causes some folk to not notice the screwjob being done by PD and sony.
If they actually think i'm PAYING for content that should already be on the disc, they got another thing coming.
I don't care how good the graphics look.
I don't care about the online part.
And to those that think PD/Sony is finally listening, uh apparently you haven't been paying attention.
But seriously, it is way to little info and way to early for actual final thoughts etc.
If thats the way of the PS3 though, count me out.
I'm no where near rich enough to even think of buying content that should arleady be on those big blue-ray disc's.
I'm sure not paying 59.95 per PS3 game then have to pay again for "extra" content, that really isn't all that extra.

Or for me, don't worry about broadband if you're not an online gamer. Now for the three pictures made possible by Robin ///////.

I made an OLD thread in the "Drifting and Other Motorsports" about if the Ford GT should return to sportscar racing. If it did return to racing (give or take the GT livery), it COULD look something like these two pictures. A friend of mine I've talked to online say that this newer Ford GT is only sopping up the glory of the past GT40s. This still remains a nice-looking automobile. It looks more like the production model and not the GT300 Super GT entry (not knocking it). This would be the kind of racing modification I'd like to see if I race modified a Ford GT. I'd probably paint it up with the Midnight Blue color the GT has more than this black.

This latest Subaru Impreza looks pretty nice itself. I've knocked Subaru for picking this design change in the past. The other day when I was at school and went across the street to get a donut and a kolache, I seen the previous generation Impreza. It was a design that shoudln't have been touched design wise. I think Tiff Needell of "Fifth Gear" still knocked the previous-gen Impreza and Lancer Evo VII(?) as being ugly. Hell, try saying that to the latest Impreza build. Someone did some doctoring to a picture of the latest Impreza. The person claimed that getting rid of the centerpiece makes it look more like a Honda (of course, the person used "Ho_da"). Anyhow, that thing will be a rally weapon indeed. I can already see the WR Blue Mica and Subaru logo painted up on this car.

I'd sure like to stay tuned to what other models GTHD will be putting into this deal. So keep the news coming, people!

VV
Who is driving? ;)

The one on the right. First time I've seen co-drivers in rally cars. I wonder if they'll be there on tracks like Le Sarthe, or if a standard Impreza would appear with a co-driver on dirt tracks.

Were there co-drivers in earlier versions of GT?

As far as I know, the PS3 only supports broadband, so you'll have to either get a content disc or get someone to copy their downloads to you somehow.

Which is exactly what I thought and feared. That effectively means that myself and a large number of other GT enthusiasts within 50 miles of me are effectively screwed. I wonder if PD/Sony is figuring that losing those of us who CANNOT get broadband is an acceptable loss when calculating their potential profits.

Of course, they could just cough up the dough to wire up the ENTIRE US for broadband :lol:

nws11613371341552343qa2.jpg

Despite a few things, this Subaru looks pretty real. I haven't seen any X360 games that have models looking that real.

Despite a few things, this Subaru looks pretty real. I haven't seen any X360 games that have models looking that real.

thats because there arent any. im so glad we will finally see realistic-looking Ferrari models. The Ferrari models (not to mention the others) in Forza, for instance, are a joke.

Those new pictures are much better than the older ones. The reflections and lighting are much improved, and the car textures are a lot better. Also, looking at the action shots among the bunch, it looks like suspension movement might be better-modelled now. I hope so.

The Lotus video shows alot of improvement.

Notice I said the Ferrari video at the same track lacked a realistic, moving shadow and that was one of the reasons something looked wrong.

The Lotus has a great moving shadow that goes with the sun, and that helps make the car fit in with its surroundings. The Ferrari's shadow was just a square box benath it. A no-no for high resoultion racecar games.

With so much improved over so little time everything will be fine when GT5 launches. Not that I complained alot about it's previous build

In terms of lighting effects, I was VERY impressed with Enthusia's lighting system. I think GT should have sort of a lighting system like in Enthusia, but I sort of wished there were sun sparkles and such like in real life. Actually, "ToCA Race Driver 3" and "Enthusia Professional Racing" has two nice models in lighting. Considering these changes in patch updates, we may see a plethora of stuff for GTHD when it's released.

Let me respond to fideles1986 for a moment. You ask if PD is really focusing in on rally. I kind of think that GT2 had some rally influence. There was a certain option in which the driving model can be shifted. I think it was called "Chase Cam," or something like that. Haven't played the PS1 GTs in a while. GT2 had two different driving models- one suited for road racing, and a more rally-style system. Someone in here was talking about how PD doesn't listen to anyone. That's untrue. I always say that the easiest way to get your voice across is to post something on the Internet. Take GT4 for instance. I thought it would be highly interesting to see Le Mans. A few others wanted the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Did we get those? Yes we did. Did we get more muscle cars than in GT3? Yes we did. Some people probably even wanted tuner cars and drift machines. They're there. They will take in such comments. Remember that you're not the only one that wants to see certain changes in GT games. Even if your prayers aren't answered, at least you get something. PD must have someone working for them that taps into GTPlanet and gives PD some advice. The only thing nonwithstanding is the issue of AI (which I still think ToCA RD 3 has thug-like AI, but I do think GTR has a great model on that).

Now to get back on topic. MAYBE they are putting a little more focus on rally. For some, it's about time. A number of different issues I've seen and brought up on GTPlanet pertained to issues I've read on GTPlanet and seen in the media. One of those issues was rallying. I've made a Sound Off! on this. People were still like "don't force me to do rallies," or crap like that. It would be interesting to see the traditional two-driver system like in most of today's rallies. And if this 1990's Subaru Impreza Rally Car (maybe from around Colin McRae's dominance with Subaru?) is any indication, we may have visible and functional drivers for the first time in a GT series. Actually, GT3 (and even GT Concept) was the debut of visible drivers. Some replays of Formula GT in GT3 gave you some unique views where you can actually see the driver's hands move and the helmet. GT4 just took it to another level with visible drivers in convertibles and in the debut of LMPs. At least this extra driver deal will make rallies more interesting. So maybe they are putting more of a focus on rallying. They probably are focusing on this since the only new track at this point is Eiger Nordwand.

I'll have to see the Lotus video when I get a chance (in other words, when I go back to school next week because I don't have a reliable connection here at home).

The Lotus video shows alot of improvement.

Aw, now I wish I hadn't gone and looked for this "Lotus video" you speak of. The game looks exactly the same... :indiff:

...okay, so maybe "look" is the wrong word. Sure, the graphics are pretty and all, despite the lack of proper shadowing in the tunnel (the pillars don't show up on the car) and the fact that the "curtain of blurriness" still plagues the replay...but the car sounds exactly the same as in GT4, it seems to move almost exactly the same (I wish I could see a competent driver in a RWD with the TCS and SCS off), and from a crappy GameSpot video I saw, the cars crash the same way as they do in GT4.

I'd love to be able to chalk all of this up to unfinished, pre-release gameplay, but lately Polyphony Digital has given me no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm becoming a bit apprehensive of what GT5, or at the very least, GTHD, will have to offer other than graphics improvements.

C'mon, PD. Prove me wrong.

Wow, awesome new car. I missed it yesterday because I thought it was the same old crap being discussed in here.

We should change the title of this thread to "GT:HD Updates & New Info!" or something similar and sticky it.

There is a difference in that video though: before some corners, he locks the breaks up and slides off the track. You can't do that with the Elise in GT4.

Aw, now I wish I hadn't gone and looked for this "Lotus video" you speak of. The game looks exactly the same... :indiff:

...okay, so maybe "look" is the wrong word. Sure, the graphics are pretty and all, despite the lack of proper shadowing in the tunnel (the pillars don't show up on the car) and the fact that the "curtain of blurriness" still plagues the replay...but the car sounds exactly the same as in GT4, it seems to move almost exactly the same (I wish I could see a competent driver in a RWD with the TCS and SCS off), and from a crappy GameSpot video I saw, the cars crash the same way as they do in GT4.

I'd love to be able to chalk all of this up to unfinished, pre-release gameplay, but lately Polyphony Digital has given me no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm becoming a bit apprehensive of what GT5, or at the very least, GTHD, will have to offer other than graphics improvements.

C'mon, PD. Prove me wrong.

In Lotus video the pillars do show up on the car, if I remember correctly!

I agree with you about the blurriness, there is to much of it.

And I also think GTHD must have more than just graphics update.

And with PD (Poly Detailed ;)) I am not worried about the graphics they will be the best.

Looks good stuff, truly does. Reading a small preview about it in Nuts.

Mmmm....30 cars in Premium and 750 in Classic...online Exchange and Mart...Ferrari...(and according to this Bugatti Veyron and Porsche though I'm probably just reading wrong...haven't searched if it's been brought up already.)...who could want more?

Back