Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
I think you guys are being silly. I don't think anti aliasing at the same resolution of the display will mean much difference. And I'm happy with 1280x960 on my PC, it's plenty crisp.

I think if you saw it in motion, like everyone else has, who end up gawking the whole time, your tune would be a little different.

Well again... there isn't too much to actually promote like what JTSnooks got around to. Details are still very scarce. So we aren't at any real liberty to potentially learn what we can expect to see until PD actually comes out with some juicy info. Certainly something more than all of this. I'm normally on the defensive for a lot of what PD does since I like the game series and don't want to belittle something you love. Would you belittle your girlfriend/boyfriend or wife/husband behind his/her back to someone? Every now and again, I'll take a stand. I'll take a stand in respect to whatever I like. I still think details aren't very good at this point. It's been a slow process. Remember when all we got out of GT4 (especially in the early stages) info was Tsukuba, New York, and the Grand Canyon? Didn't we get Citta di Aria and Hong Kong later? So those of us who didn't bear down on GT info during the GT3 -> GT4 days will get a crash course in waiting for new information to arrive. I'm going to believe PD if they say it's 15% or so done. Keep in mind that they are just trying to get in as much content as possible or perhaps even do some extra internals to ensure this other title makes it on the market for PS3 gamers. It isn't like PD is going to repackage GT4 and sell it off as GTHD Classic. If it was that easy, then this variation would be a launch title for the PS3 hands down.

I have more to say, but I'll stop here for now.

I gotta say I've never concerned myself with jaggies. I appreciate textures, special effects, and framerate much more, which is why I would rather play a PC game at 640x480 with all of the special effects on and at a decent clip, than at 1280x960 with the special effects turned down/off and at only a half-decent clip.

That's why a select few 360 games have impressed me so far, and why I thought GTHD was only "above-average" until these new shots and videos came out. Modern game developers sometimes seem to rely too much on sheer resolution to get a "wow" out of players...probably because it works for much of the general public. :lol:

I agree completely with that regarding PC games. I'd much rather run it at a lower resolution but with more effects than at a higher resolution and with less.

Tenacious D: I did see it in motion, and it annoys me. Given the power of the PS3 I shouldn't be thinking "I wish this was a PC game, it wouldn't look so rubbish otherwise", but I am. The textures are good, don't get me wrong, but the lack of AA is striking.
JohnBM: That was my tone, and I got annoyed when everyone moaned about this that and the other, but if you don't ask, you don't get eh?

I still don't see how AA applied at the same resolution as the display will accomplish anything. My graphics card has a maximum resolution of 1790x1344, so at 1600x1200, you can apply some antialiasing, because you have nearby pixels to blend edge colors.

But suppose my max resolution was 1600x1200. If I applied AA, it would either do nothing at all, or it would blur the edges making everything look out of focus. Now, do you understand what I'm saying?

Besides that, if you're complaining about jaggies at 1920x1080, you should forget about console gaming entirely until ultra high definition displays become standard about 2020.

I think you're missing the point somewhat about how AA works. If the gamne made use of all 1920x1080 pixels, it'd look a lot smoother than it does. You do not need a higher resolution to use Anti-Aliasing on an image, that isn't how it works.

Its hard to believe that we all are looking at the same videos and pics. The Graphics remind me of that lexus commercial a few years back that showed a steel marble rolling along the body panel joints. The gt5 car models look that good to me. As I read through these threads, I see so many people complain that I start searching for other game pics to compare. Each and every time I look at other games they all have that "cartoon" look to them. I return to a gt pic and by far they are the closest to "real" as it gets. What are you complainers like to life with if you think these car models are not good enough?

I agree, but most of the complaints I think are more due to the lack of certain erffects and lighting and more recently lack of AA, but all that can and likely will be rectified before launch. I completely agree, the car models look astonishingly good imo.

I agree, but most of the complaints I think are more due to the lack of certain erffects and lighting and more recently lack of AA, but all that can and likely will be rectified before launch. I completely agree, the car models look astonishingly good imo.

AHH...then we should just say that the gt series is "all show and no go".

I think you're missing the point somewhat about how AA works.
Then you or someone is going to have to explain this situation.

I have an image in 1920x1080. I display it on a 1920x1080 display. I apply 4x antialiasing. What does the image do, at the pixel level?

If I had to choose between greater rendering effects with lighting & motion, or have ridiculouly high resolution, I'll settle for lower resolution every time. Having seen the evolution of PC games, the reason hardly more clearer. High-resolution gaming (1600x1200) has been possible for some time, but it didn't bring any real advantage. If anything, it only allowed you to see the low-polygon count and shape cracking more clearly. It wasn't until recently that anti-aliasing and higher-poly models have made gaming look much better. Unsurprisingly, max resolution hasn't gone up much, if at all. Today's 1280x1024 totally blows away 1280x1024 from 3 years ago.

Then you or someone is going to have to explain this situation.

I have an image in 1920x1080. I display it on a 1920x1080 display. I apply 4x antialiasing. What does the image do, at the pixel level?

For a static image, you'd see some improvment, but you'd have to really look for it. Anti-aliasing is best used -- in this case -- for full motion video. A car on the screen will not occupy the full 1920x1080 screen, but just some portion of it. Also, the car does not have straight lines, but is a collection of curved surfaces.

As these surfaces move, the pixels of the car start to occupy the next pixel locations. If this were to happen normally, the car's color would "pop" into the next pixel. If you were to watch the hood of a car slowly rise in your field of view, it's edge would flicker or crawl as individual pixels changed color. This can best be seen when watching elevated telephone wires (maybe regular TV shows would show this better), where they flicker as the camera pans across the screen. This twitter effect is called "aliasing", where false occurences of the image appear in the wrong places (although they're right next to each other).

With anti-aliasing, that line, that border between the background color and the car's color, does not change from one pixel to the next. Instead, it occupies multiple pixels, with a fade between one and the other. It ususally takes place across only a few pixels, but this greatly smooths the transition between the car's color and the background color. The end result seems slightly out of focus if you're 6" from the screen, but it adds so much to the realism of the image when you watch it at normal viewing distances.

Examples:

Anti-aliasing.jpg

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing
http://www.widearea.co.uk/designer/anti.html

Lol. Oh and by the way, you've pretty much napped the AA there harry, I didn't realise there was another page or I wouldn't have posted before replying to you.
ultrabeat, LOL how can I give answers? I don't work for PD! I'm just sceptical about how much PD will provide. They do sometimes give us what we want, but never all we want...

Please go and get a job with Polyphony Digital, and report your findings back here ;)

Gran Turismo is evolving! I never imagined we'd have graphics THAT good,possibly damage and Ferraris when I first played GT1!:nervous:
I knew after sometime in the past, that they would have improved graphics, since graphics is always improving, plus I always thought they would get damage and Ferrari sometime. In other words the damage system is how the GT series will grow up, into an even better sim.

But I hope they will add changing weather effects and times of day in GT5 guys.

OK, where do I start? lol, I'm an 18 year old student still studying!!!

Learn:
- Computing Science (Area of Interest) or Mathematics or Computing Engineering or Information Systems (whatever the course is called)

- Especialize in Low-Level Programming, ASM, C, C++ (Programming languages) and in SDKs for closed architecture systems (ASOS - Application Specific Operational Systems). Example: Sega Megadrive, Sony 12-Head VCR, Panasonic Microwave or MISRA-C code for automobiles.

- Especialize in Audio / Graphic / Hardware / Network (Application Domain).
- Especialize in CMMI / ISO 9000-3 / XP, etc. (Work Methods, Software Engineering)

Plus:
- Always be bound to new knowledge. You've beem asking about HDMI, HDTV, etc. Go there and study it from the start.

- Technical Japanese
- Will to work, ever, 60 hours a week. (Exception to EA, where you work 80h/week)

Plus plus:
Make you best efforts EVER to be the best you can. Forget 80% of your social life. Read magazines, technical forums, books. Learn a 3rd language. Certificate yourself. Never drug yourself. Be methodic. etc. etc. etc.

LOL - Probably not a good idea to tell you I plan on going to a LAN gaming event this weekend then...
I'm studying Electronic Engineering, so I should be in good stead.

I went back and looked at some stuff and I still think if you're grouchy over jaggies at 1920x1080, you're being anal. But I imagine when it comes out on the shelves, you buy it and stick it in the drive, we'll all be happy.

I will have to say though that if it isn't antialiased and some of you come on to grouch, I'm SO gonna lol at you. ;)

Lol. Oh and by the way, you've pretty much napped the AA there harry, I didn't realise there was another page or I wouldn't have posted before replying to you.

I recognize those words as English, but that sentence escapes my ability to decipher written lanuages. :confused: I hope you don't take that the wrong way or anything, I just can't tell if I'm being complemented or being made fun of.

You've pretty much napped = You've got it all right
I meant I'd already written
All I'll say is We'll see. Don't expect anything, but don't expect nothing.
After your post on the AA and didn't notice to compliment you on it.

Latest Posts

Back