Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
Looks good stuff, truly does. Reading a small preview about it in Nuts.

Mmmm....30 cars in Premium and 750 in Classic...online Exchange and Mart...Ferrari...(and according to this Bugatti Veyron and Porsche though I'm probably just reading wrong...haven't searched if it's been brought up already.)...who could want more?

Not having to pay for every car would be nice.

Looks good stuff, truly does. Reading a small preview about it in Nuts.

Mmmm....30 cars in Premium and 750 in Classic...online Exchange and Mart...Ferrari...(and according to this Bugatti Veyron and Porsche though I'm probably just reading wrong...haven't searched if it's been brought up already.)...who could want more?

-> Wha!? Buggie and Porsha joining GT!? Please tell me if its true (I wanna drive the EB110-S and the 959)!!! :nervous: :scared:

I've not read a single thing besides forum chatter that's metioned them possibly appearing in GT:HD or GT5. They might, but I've not read any news, and news like that would be over the web in no time.

why do you think GTHD doesn´t have damage modeling ,and Forza does?

after all they have both have real cars, and forza people dont have any problems with licenses.

Personaly i dont consider damage modeling as a must have thing ,but i would like to see more detailed tuning:Buying individual parts,analysing data from dyno,engine swaps and maybe even some maintenance work.

GT:HD classic will never have it, because the gamemodel doesn't allow for it. At least not without more twork than it's worth putting in anyway. GT:HD Premium however is supposed to have damage in the near future. All the car models and everything has been done so that damage can easilly be implemented without having to rework everything around it. PD hope to have damage avaialble as a download sometime next year, probably late. Personally I like the idea of damage a lot, because it add's and extra depth to the races, you have to take a lot more care of your car. But I also agree with you a lot, I'd soo love to see the tuning and upgrading your cars in GT get a completel overhaul and a massive increase in avaiable parts for your cars.

To the note on Bugatti Veyron and Porsche - As I say I could just be reading it wrong, but never know. We can only hope, though as much as I trust FHM and Nuts... best wait til something really official hits the web

If they do put damage in GT:HD, PD had better make it an option. I can just see it now, much like the horribly flawed penalty system in GT4; your car falls apart while the AI car that hits you continues on without damage after it crashed into you from behind.

Yeah, damage in GT:HD; I DON"T WANT IT!

I'm yet another avid game racer who is meh on damage. It does add an interesting flavor in Forza, but it's little more than a flavor. The effect on car performance is minor, so as far as I'm concerned it's not a real damage system itself.

I do expect in Gran Turismo that it's going to be scalable, so that if you don't want it, you can turn it off. I don't intend to disable damage myself since Forza helped me get over my unenthusiastic feelings for it. Although that does depend. Outside of any career modes in GT HD, especially in endurance races, I'm not going to have much tolerance for a race ending badly because of some stupid mishap. That's one case in which the scale might be zero.

As for the form the game might take, keep in mind that the delay means a lot of work will be done on both aspects of the game, Classic as well as Premium, so we have no idea what form the game is going to take. Kaz said in an interview just a couple of weeks ago that nothing had been decided as far as how downloadable content would go or what the game would have on the disc. I would think that it may be that if the game is delayed till June that we might have 600-700 cars in Classic Edition, and 60 cars and 3 or 4 tracks in Premium, or more. Honestly, I'd pay $60 for that, to have a chance to race 20 cars on asphalt and perhaps 8 in rally, and to have 60 GT5 quality cars, Ferrari being a sweet bonus. Not to mention the paint shop and whatever race mod components there are.

....I can just see it now, much like the horribly flawed penalty system in GT4; your car falls apart while the AI car that hits you continues on without damage after it crashed into you from behind.......

Or, they can improve the AI ;)

Btw, the driver in that Lotus video sucks tremendous arse :crazy:

Ciao!

In fairness to the driver, if I picked up GT HD with a controller, my performance may be similar. As far as I'm concerned, using a controller to race with is just not really racing. It feels completely wrong after experiencing the Driving Force wheel.

By the way, Polyphony is slipping the release date back to summer now, which to me means only good things for the game. More content on the disc, maybe all of it, and any work done on HD will be dual use stuff they can use in Gran Turismo 5. I still like this situation better than waiting till 2008 or 09 for GT5, and I'm counting on Kaz and company giving us an awe inspiring racing experience which can't be duplicated on any other game. That Career Mode idea may be there yet.

Only to summer? You must think I was born yesterday. It'll be 2008 I reckon, which'll be good in a way as it means I'll be able to get a PS3 before or when the game arrives.

Or, they can improve the AI ;)

Btw, the driver in that Lotus video sucks tremendous arse :crazy:

Ciao!
It's IGN...what would u expect from those drivers?

If you think that's bad, you guys have to look at GameSpot's videos. They're easily twice as bad. :lol:

That's why I find it difficult to trust the opinions of those sites when it comes to a review of any driving sim. It's surprising that they can even make it to work in the morning without hitting a few parked cars. :rolleyes:

lol, but you have to give them a liitle credit i mean come on this is the first time anyone outside of PD has had the chance to try the track. It would be like the first time around the nurb, and it would feel crap with a controller especially one without anyform of rumble to help tell you what the car is doing..

Aw, now I wish I hadn't gone and looked for this "Lotus video" you speak of. The game looks exactly the same... :indiff:

...okay, so maybe "look" is the wrong word. Sure, the graphics are pretty and all, despite the lack of proper shadowing in the tunnel (the pillars don't show up on the car) and the fact that the "curtain of blurriness" still plagues the replay...but the car sounds exactly the same as in GT4, it seems to move almost exactly the same (I wish I could see a competent driver in a RWD with the TCS and SCS off), and from a crappy GameSpot video I saw, the cars crash the same way as they do in GT4.

I'd love to be able to chalk all of this up to unfinished, pre-release gameplay, but lately Polyphony Digital has given me no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm becoming a bit apprehensive of what GT5, or at the very least, GTHD, will have to offer other than graphics improvements.

C'mon, PD. Prove me wrong.

I've held back long enough

This constant bashing of GT HD's graphics has become quite rediculous.

Show any gamer in the world these graphics and I guarentee you 99.99% of them will be impressed and have little to no complaints.

But then comes the .01%

Despite the fact the cars are so detailed they have cup holders they find any reason to complain. Im not going to get into sound and physics much, only because GTHD is so early. But as for the graphics, too shiny this, plastic this, shadow this, this that this that this that.

It's rediculous really. Ordinary gamers would laugh until they drop if they heard people say GT HD's graphics were dissapointing or that they dont live up to any hype. They would say "That looks good what are you talking about?!?!!?"

In all honestly, I'm just tired of people looking down on good hard work. If you want to talk down the graphics of games there's plenty of them out there worst then GTHD to rant about

I'm just tired of hearing about how a suspension doesnt move this way or how a reflection doesnt do this. GT HD is the best looking race car game EVER. What more do you want from the graphics?! Absolutley no reason to be all over the game especially when we've only seen a half a dozen cars on one track from a game that's more then a year away!

(sorry it's 3:40 am here)

I'm yet another avid game racer who is meh on damage.
Same here. Fake, arcadey damage, I don't really care for. If you crash at high speed, you'd be out of the race in real life.
I've held back long enough

This constant bashing of GT HD's graphics has become quite rediculous.

Show any gamer in the world these graphics and I guarentee you 99.99% of them will be impressed and have little to no complaints.

But then comes the .01%

Despite the fact the cars are so detailed they have cup holders they find any reason to complain. Im not going to get into sound and physics much, only because GTHD is so early. But as for the graphics, too shiny this, plastic this, shadow this, this that this that this that.

It's rediculous really. Ordinary gamers would laugh until they drop if they heard people say GT HD's graphics were dissapointing or that they dont live up to any hype. They would say "That looks good what are you talking about?!?!!?"

In all honestly, I'm just tired of people looking down on good hard work. If you want to talk down the graphics of games there's plenty of them out there worst then GTHD to rant about

I'm just tired of hearing about how a suspension doesnt move this way or how a reflection doesnt do this. GT HD is the best looking race car game EVER. What more do you want from the graphics?! Absolutley no reason to be all over the game especially when we've only seen a half a dozen cars on one track from a game that's more then a year away!

As far as the graphics go, I thought the Lotus video looked great. My biggest gripe is the sound. According to Wolfe, sound's still the same. I HATE Gran Turismo's sound effects. 👎 What I don't understand is that since the first GT, they've been making big deal about how much effort is put into making engine sounds, etc. So, why does it sound so bad? They need to work on that. This takes so much away from the game than any graphical imperfection, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't remember if I said this here or on the ps3land.com boards, but Kaz-sama says GT HD is only 15% finished, which just using basic math and common sense indicates that there's still 85% to go, which means a lot of work. Complaining about anything at this stage is kind of silly as Earth says. If this was a pie, you would just now be making the crust dough, the other ingredients may or may not be measured, and the filling wouldn't even be opened yet. So, like, chill or something. ;)

Some of the car sounds are good (and some using real recordings synthesised together) whereas others are just semi-real computer generated waveforms, and the Lotus is the latter. If they demoed the game with, say an Impreza, then the sound would seem awesome since, unsurprisingly, PD made sure they got that one right. If only they would do it for all the cars.

I had a chance to see the Lotus video (before a G:censored: damned ad was in place. I know I don't have money online, but spare a player with the ads, alright? Jackasses... Back to the video now. First off, I normally pronounce "Turismo" like I was actually Italian. Of course, us Americans are known for butchering foreign words except "Corvasier."

With the game data, it still does sound the same. There's still very little to actually warrant that this game will be dramatically different. Any talk that the game is dramatically different is just talk at this point. Did sounds change between GT3 and GT4? We certainly heard different squealing of the tires now, didn't we? I'm not worried about sound at this point since details are still too scarce. There's still a lot of work to be done at this point. It's perfectly fine to knock graphics at this point, but let's wait until we have at least a patch to improve the sounds (among others) to really judge for sure. During the video, the guy noted that the 3D people are still being worked on. Maybe something like the 3D people in "Project Gotham Racing 3" would be a nice source of inspiration. My only knock in terms of people is that I thought there could have been more people seeing a race in the grandstands of Grand Valley Speedway.

Now on to the driving. The driver isn't too much of a dope. I guess in his defense, he's there to showcase the game and to be not a real Gran Turismo guy. I think he wasn't intentionally trying to crash the car so that crash-happy people get to see Lotus' little baby get smashed up to the delight of people listening to Audioslave or All-American Rejects. The track looks great. The first corner kind of seems like of the many hairpin-type turns of Opera Paris. The guy went into the southeastern end of the course and didn't correct the balance of the car to get proper entry into the next corner. He improves his driving two hairpins later. There were some points in the track in which I wished he didn't apply too much braking in certain corners. For example, he could have just blasted down those sections where he just doesn't need to brake. I think he used too much braking force heading onto the bridge. And with all due respect to the Lotus Elise (and it's a great car), it would probably be more fun with a rally car than a regular non-rally car. He also went off the road in places where he really shouldn't. I'll be modest and give him a 70% score in terms of driving. Had it been me... player, you'd go for a ride! Don't know how us Texas boys get down in Gran Turismo. He was going to hit another wall before he canceled out of the drive. I want to see him try out the Subaru Impreza Rally Car from the late 1990s. Boy, is it lovely! I made a fairly old thread about seeing certain racing suits and custom helmets. Imagine if you could see how lovely you look in a racing suit. The graphics look amazing. This HD demo (especially the replay) looks more like I'm watching "Victory by Design: Lotus." Only that the driver doesn't quite have the accumen of Alain de Cadenet. I was quite impressed. Perhaps some suggestions for other rally races would be something involving some country road in Wales, something like the high-speed rally action in Finland, the snowy Sweden stages, and something like that. I don't think they should pursue WRC stages. Not even the Rally Japan in PD's native of Japan. This is still a wonderful package regardless.

Again, it's still too early to assume anything at this point. Only thing we can do is just wait. I know we waited long enough. Wait longer. I wouldn't be surprised that we would get at least two big updates before the year ends. Still a ways to go. But we're getting more information leading up to GTHD's eventual release.

The video on the whole looks pretty good, and I've seen far worse driving from IGN. One of the things that bugs me is that the game isn't Anti-Aliased! There's so much staircasing on the cars, if that could be enabled, it would look jawdropping.

I can tell. You normally don't make a habit of ENTIRELY missing the point of a post. :lol:

Did I not say the graphics were "pretty?" So what if I noticed that the replay camera still has a weird graphical glitch (left over from GT4) where an attempt at adding "focus blur" results in a visible line separating the clear from the unclear (I call it the "curtain of blurriness")? So what if I noticed that the lighting on the car completely ignores the pillars of the tunnel, even though the reflection in the metallic paint does show the pillars? Am I supposed to just pretend these errors don't exist? After all, as I already said, I think the graphics look great -- they're much improved over what we saw earlier, which looked like nothing more than up-scaled PS2 cars with yet-to-be-completed reflection effects.

I dunno. Maybe I'm strange for wondering why Polyphony Digital is showing us noticably incomplete gameplay footage and screenshots for one of the most-anticipated and most-hyped game titles of the next-generation consoles, which is to be released on the much-anticipated, much-hyped, and very expensive PS3...you guys seem to think so. It's not like they even have to show us anything to be able to sell a million copies when the game comes out -- it just needs to say "Gran Turismo" on the cover.

As I said in my last post, I have low expectations for GTHD and GT5, but I'd like nothing more than for PD to prove me wrong...especially with the prospect of an Enthusia 2 looking very bleak. It would be great to be able to enjoy Gran Turismo again.

One of the things that bugs me is that the game isn't Anti-Aliased! There's so much staircasing on the cars, if that could be enabled, it would look jawdropping.
I'm not sure how you're supposed to anti-alias 1080p graphics on a 1920x1080 display. Is there some sub-pixel technique displays or systems provide?

Anti-aliasing doesn't change the resolution, you can do it on any display. It's not produced by the display, it's done via the video card, and I'm sure the RSX could handle it.

Anti-aliasing doesn't change the resolution, you can do it on any display. It's not produced by the display, it's done via the video card, and I'm sure the RSX could handle it.
But at 1920 x 1080 you wouldn't need much AA (if any), since it's such a high resolution.

I wouldn't have thought so, but seeing that lotus video really yelled at me how much it IS needed. In certain angles, look at the vents on the back of the car and how much they flicker around and how staircased they are, that wouldn't happen with some AA.

You have to take into account that the resolution of the video probably doesn't match the resolution that it was origianlly running at. It's like resizing a picture, it alters the quality of the image.

Maybe I'm strange for wondering why Polyphony Digital is showing us noticably incomplete gameplay footage and screenshots for one of the most-anticipated and most-hyped game titles of the next-generation consoles, which is to be released on the much-anticipated, much-hyped, and very expensive PS3...you guys seem to think so.

I believe the reason they're showing it is that Sony has very little to promote the PS3 with, and they know that GT:HD is the best way to stir up interest in the system (since people seem to be much more interested in the X360). I remember reading that Kaz was forced to show the first footage of GT:HD way back at E3 and was very upset about it. Now, this current footage may not be the same case, but as he's said, it's only 15-20% done, so it wouldn't surprise me if he really wasn't too happy about the incomplete footage being shown.

And the lack of anti-aliasing is even more apparent in the screenshots taken from the game. It sticks out so much that I can't even look at some of them. It's like watching a high-tech game running on a low-tech PC, just a shame. I would assume that they would clean it up at least to the point of PGR3...they already have the polygons, there's no reason for them not to have the effects. Of course, that makes you wonder just how long it will take for them to put the effects in...

I'm glad someone else has noticed. Besides, those videos aren't even in 1080, so it should be more obvious. It would be so easy to implement, I just hope they do it. If it was s in the PS3's control panel rather than the game then it would be even better...

Back