Red Bull Racing and F1 in GT5?

Being that Redbull F1 is in (reffer to trailers with Seb Vettel) I'm really hoping that our own Mark Webber's car makes an appearance too.

The only Aussie F1 driver AND he's currently leading the 2010 Championship and he will win it.

A car 20 seconds faster than a F1 must be hard to handle.

Yes, it seems so:

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/kazunoriyamauchiandseba.jpg/

- 18: Try not to xxxxxx the tires.

- 19: xxxxxxxxxxx the tires if you go.

- 20: On forced in. turbo engines xxxxxx xxxxx there's a bit of a lag after you step on the throttle, xxxxx the engine's power comes on.
(The X1's small displacement engine and high pressure turbo makes throttle control quite touchy thus increasing the challenge and xxxxx xxxx of mastering the car).

- 21: Whoa, you've given it too much throttle.

- 22: Notice that the bulk of the power comes after a slight delay, after you step on the throttle pedal.

- 23: You can tell that this car just keeps on accelerating, right?

Link? I wanna see :D :lol:.

We can probably see more details of the car if someone can lighten the dark sections of red bull's trailer of the car - http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite...ltimate-car-on-Gran-Turismo-5-021242903200135

http://www.mediafire.com/?6kmzm77omdl9356
But you will need VLC to play it. It won't work on Windows Media Player.

The side view of the car should look something like this by the way:

x17.png

Remember that it's not all that hard to break an in real life record in a game, for the obvious reasons, it's a game, so there is no risk or fear of crashing or damaging the car or yourself. Even if it's in a game, 20 seconds is still mighty impressive. I think the X1 gains so much from straight line speed rather than downforce.

Remember that it's not all that hard to break an in real life record in a game, for the obvious reasons, it's a game, so there is no risk or fear of crashing or damaging the car or yourself. Even if it's in a game, 20 seconds is still mighty impressive. I think the X1 gains so much from straight line speed rather than downforce.
If that was 100% true the army would be deserted and they would all be playing cod. i mean i go go karting and i have no fear if i crash i crash.

Apologies if you already know some of this, but I'll just lay it out there for everyone.

Formula 1 is a very specific license. Currently that is held by Codemasters for the purpose of the F1 2010 game (and possibly 2011?).

So, we are 99.9% sure that PD cannot use anything with the F1 logos, etc.

However, there is a little disagreement beyond that.

Such as:
1. Can PD go to each manufacturer and license the car from them?
2. If so, can they do that on 2010 models? or does the ability to license from the manufacturer only allow for older (2009 and back) models?

In previous GT's the only F1 similar car was the Formula GT which is a mock from PD that uses older F1 regulations. However, GT5P had the Ferrari F1 from 2007. But I believe Sony held that license for that year.

But, there has been very strong clues for the inclusion of either last year's or this year's Red Bull. So, most of us are tentatively expecting one of those models.

And now...

A random picture shows the Virgin F1 car. And everything gets thrown into the air.

Again, apologies if you already know this, but I used to be a random lurker of these forums and wished someone would lay it out like this. So, I figured I would go ahead and lay it out for those guys as well. :)

Bernie holds the rights for the current years cars and the previous years cars. Because GT5 is released before the end of the 2010 F1 season, we can not see any 2009 cars in the game unless Bernie has agreed to it. Same reason the 2009 Williams hasn't been released yet in iRacing.

I'm not exactly sure when Bernie's rights over the previous seasons cars expires, but I'm going to assume it is after the last race of the 2010 season.

All I'll say at this point is wait and see, what you think you understand about the F1 licence is not true.
PD can licence current F1 cars from the teams themselves, the F1 licence only covers the exclusive usage of the terms "F1" and "Formula 1", the licence also covers cars and tracks but those aren't exclusive as the cars are not copyright of the FOM or FIA.

The whole idea of FOM having rights over the previous season's cars too is flawed - how did PD get the F2007 then in 2008?

Anyway who knows what Codemasters and Bernie signed, if codemasters didn't pay for an exclusivity agreement along with the license PD could pay for the right to use the F1 license too, but since there won't be all F1 circuits and no announcement for all teams to be in the game it would seem pricey to pay for a small portion of the license, unless we get a big surprise, we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway who knows what Codemasters and Bernie signed, if codemasters didn't pay for an exclusivity agreement along with the license PD could pay for the right to use the F1 license too, but since there won't be all F1 circuits and no announcement for all teams to be in the game it would seem pricey to pay for a small portion of the license, unless we get a big surprise, we'll have to wait and see.

You'll be waiting for a rather empty obligation, I can tell you that right now. Unless CM sells PD a sub-license (which isn't out of the question, but this is the FIA/FOM we're talking about) then it could be done, but there's no such thing as "paying for a small portion of the license". It's either you get the license, a sub-license, or no license at all.

guys..
can we now say that the grey one perhaps isn't the X1? It looks so much more thin, or is it me?

Same car, different angle. All we saw was the car in different liveries indicating stages from initial shakedown (Carbon fiber one from Red Bull Teaser), Refinement(the grey one) and of course the final product.

You'll be waiting for a rather empty obligation, I can tell you that right now. Unless CM sells PD a sub-license (which isn't out of the question, but this is the FIA/FOM we're talking about) then it could be done, but there's no such thing as "paying for a small portion of the license". It's either you get the license, a sub-license, or no license at all.

That's why I don't see the inclusion of F1 in GT5, licensing the whole of it for a small portion of the game doesn't make sense, I never said you can pay for a small portion of a license. The point I was trying to make is that CM doesn't hold the license Formula One Group does, codemaster didn't pay for ownership they paid rights to use the license and if they didn't contracted for exclusivity in videogames then Formula One Group can lease the right to whomever they want, PD, Turn 10, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, anyone. I'm not saying Codemasters didn't, but unless someone has a copy of contract we don't know if CM has exclusivity over the F1 license in videogames. I hope it's clearer.

Isnt it possible PD could just model a few F1 cars, put unique liverys on them and not call them 'Ferrari, McLaren & RedBull'? I think thats the absolute best we can hope for. I would rather that than having 3-4 year old F1s.

Isnt it possible PD could just model a few F1 cars, put unique liverys on them and not call them 'Ferrari, McLaren & RedBull'? I think thats the absolute best we can hope for. I would rather that than having 3-4 year old F1s.

I honestly can't see that happening. Someone is gonna call foul the moment they relize what those actually are and legal issues might arise.

Yes they can make generic formula one cars, like the PD Formula One car in GT4.

That's why I don't see the inclusion of F1 in GT5, licensing the whole of it for a small portion of the game doesn't make sense, I never said you can pay for a small portion of a license. The point I was trying to make is that CM doesn't hold the license Formula One Group does, codemaster didn't pay for ownership they paid rights to use the license and if they didn't contracted for exclusivity in videogames then Formula One Group can lease the right to whomever they want, PD, Turn 10, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, anyone. I'm not saying Codemasters didn't, but unless someone has a copy of contract we don't know if CM has exclusivity over the F1 license in videogames. I hope it's clearer.

I'm fairly certain they have exclusivity rights as they're already working on F1 2011. I think (not absolutely positive) they have a five year agreement, or something along those lines. They (PD) could license individual chassis likenesses from the individual teams without the sponsors, but that would take time and money that Sony probably wouldn't want to dish out.

I'm fairly certain they have exclusivity rights as they're already working on F1 2011. I think (not absolutely positive) they have a five year agreement, or something along those lines. They (PD) could license individual chassis likenesses from the individual teams without the sponsors, but that would take time and money that Sony probably wouldn't want to dish out.

Like you say if there's a long term agreement we can assume they have the exclusivity, and I wanted another Grid or Toca game :(

So far it looks RBR and Ferrari chassis will be in, let's hope for Renault and McLaren, though GT5 being a game I don't see the back of the field running slower and teams like Lotus might fancy a presence. They can do without publicity but GT5 is good pr (public relation).

Last edited:
Bumped because I saw what appeared to be the Ferrari F10 in the intro... wow. Didn't expect to see this year's car with the licensing to Codies.

What are the chances of us seeing the MP4-25 or RB6 ???

Bumped because I saw what appeared to be the Ferrari F10 in the intro... wow. Didn't expect to see this year's car with the licensing to Codies.

Well it appears the license isn't ironclad, because we've seen a 2009 Williams for iRacing, not to mention Ferrari releasing their own game (Ferrari Virtual Academy) with the F10.

I guess they didn't get the F1 licence but they got the cars.
I.E They can't mention F1 so they just call it a F2007 as opposed to the NASCAR stock cars having a proper name.

I guess they didn't get the F1 licence but they got the cars.
I.E They can't mention F1 so they just call it a F2007 as opposed to the NASCAR stock cars having a proper name.

F2007 is the actual name for Ferrari 2007 F1 car (F2008 for the 2008 season but the name changed to F60 for the 2009 season and F10 for 2010).

Back