Saturday Stock Car Series! THIS EVENT HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY CANCELLED.

• Thread starter VBR
  • 319 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
Saturday Stock Car Series!
(SSCS)

Recommended cars are all we ever use for this event.

Less chat & more race!

I'm looking for clean, competent, & conscientious drivers, to join me & my friends in our regular weekly races on Saturday nights between 19:30 & 22:55 UK time (GMT +1 ← click it). The same car races I host are gentlemanly & competitive, but above all else fun, we use a different car each week, & it's chosen from the Recommended list. If you're interested & can attend at least once a month, make a post (saying you've read all the Rules & Regs), & send a friend request on PSN to: VirtualBornRacer, with "SSCS" in the message.

:gtpflag:

SSCS Race Event

SSCS has a different theme each week, we use 1 car all night, & the track changes at the beginning of each hour. My Lounge opens at 19:30 for greetings & text chat (mics are disabled), followed by a warm up drive at 19:40, then we observe the format below for each hours racing, from 20:00, until the last race at 22:25.

SSCS Format

• Qualification for Race 1.............Is at 00 on the hour, & it's held in Free Run.
  • Race 1 - Sprint Race................Is at 10 past the hour, it's 10 minutes or under, & is followed by a short break.
  • Race 2 - Reverse Grid Race........Is at 25 past the hour, it's 30 minutes or under, with: 1 mandatory pit stop!

SSCS - 13/8/2011 *
  • This Saturday's Theme..............SSCS: All Italian! You must read the Drivers Briefing before attending.
  • This Saturday's Tyres................Sports Hard.
  • This Saturday's Tracks...............Monza, Rome, Monza No Chicanes (warm up is on Toscana Tarmac).
  • Exceptions To Race Specifics......None (see Race Specifics below).

Click here to go to the new GT Planet Online Races Calendar, & then click on: Request Reminder For This Event.

SSCS Explained

Everytime you see an E in this post, click on it to be taken to an in depth explanation of that rule (it's optional).
Any new rules, updates or features will be highlighted at the end with a: *, to make it easier for you to find them.

SSCS Rules & Regulations

THIS IS THE NUMBER 1 RULE: All drivers must visit this thread each week (& my Message Board in GT5) to check for Race Event/Rule updates, & are solely responsible for reading, understanding, & applying them! If you have difficulty comprehending something, make a post here or PM me before Saturday, & I will do my best to help you.

Free Practice

• You must practice online beforehand, with the right car, & on all tracks listed for the next event.
  • Please set up your own Lounge identical to how SSCS is, you will find the settings we use below.

My Lounge

• Please clear your Cache before entering My Lounge, in GT5 go: Options/Network/Clear System Cache.
  • If you cannot join My Lounge & get disconnected, you must wait 2 minutes before trying again. E
  • Do not ask me any SSCS related questions during the event, I'll be far too busy to answer!
  • Never use text chat, or the pause menu, while you or others are racing & qualifying.
  • You must not drive on the track during the 5 minute breaks between races.
  • Tuning via the RA Function menu, is strictly prohibited during this event.
  • You must optimize your internet connection before attending! E

Qualification

• Track map must be On, look at it when exiting the pits, & slow down if need be to let hot lapping drivers past.
  • If you mess up a hot lap & fall back towards another driver, let them past safely, & then find some clean air.
  • Always leave plenty of space between yourself & others (divide: drivers on track, by lap time, for gap). E
  • You must put in at least 1 timed lap during qualification, to be eligible to participate in Race 1.

Races 1 & 2 *

• No deliberate contact, corner cutting, or using of run off areas to gain an advantage.
  • Damage is on heavy & penalties are off, so be very careful at all times, as cars will never ghost.
  • Apologise for any contact (during breaks), deal with unresolved matters via PM, after the event.
  • Do not judge other drivers as dirty who accidentally hit you, cut corners, or go off track occasionally.
  • You must participate fully in Race 1 (without stopping or quitting), to be eligible to participate in Race 2.

Pit Stops In Race 2

• You must make at least 1 pit stop during the Reverse Grid Races, it is absolutely mandatory!
  • You must complete 1 quarter race distance before pitting, unless you are damaged or have damaged another.
  • Pitting because of damage before 1 quarter race distance, does count as your 1 mandatory pit stop.

Damage

As damage is set to Heavy at SSCS, the 1st rule below is just the natural extension of OLR rule 7:a (read it again).
  • If you hit another driver & their car gets damaged, you must immediately let them regain their place ahead of you, follow them closely back to the pits, pit with them, & then carry on racing. Damaged drivers with medium to heavy damage must pit (unless it's the last lap) & indicate they're damaged to the offending driver by slowly steering left & right ASAP, drivers with light damage may choose to either continue racing, or pit.
  • If you hit another driver off track, or off their racing line, & their car doesn't get damaged (ie: they don't indicate), you must immediately let them regain their place or line ahead of you, & not try to gain a positional advantage from it going into the next turn or down the next straight.
  • Drivers with medium to heavy self inflicted damage who's pace is affected, must get out of the way of those approaching from behind on the current lap, & drivers with heavy damage must pit ASAP, if they can see they will continue to be overtaken for the rest of the race. Drivers with light self inflicted damage who's pace is not affected, may choose to either continue racing, or pit.

Race Specifics

Any exceptions to these rules will be posted in: Exceptions To Race Specifics, under tracks listed for the next event.
  • Try to keep 2 wheels on track, the track is defined as the tarmac road area in between the white/yellow lines that are painted along its outer edges. Coloured kerbs: red & white, black & white, blue & green etc, are not part of the track, so all 4 wheels deliberately on them is not allowed (2 is okay).
  • White/yellow lines that run along the outer edges of the tarmac, marks the track boundary, so all 4 wheels deliberately over them is not allowed. Painted: green/blue etc, or unpainted concrete/tarmac areas next to white/yellow lines & coloured kerbs, are not part of the track, these are run off areas, do not use them.
  • If you accidentally go off track & onto a run off area (or the grass/sand) you must make your way back to the track ASAP, without hindering other drivers, or trying to gain a positional advantage from it going into the next turn or down the next straight.

Anyone breaking the above rules (or driving incompetently) may be asked to leave My Lounge, re-read them, & try again next time. Anyone who is not apologetic & cooperative after causing an incident, will not be invited to future events. If any circumstances occur out on track that the rules do not cover, just use common sense, courtesy, & best judgement.

My Lounge Settings

• Race Quality: Standard.
  • Voice Chat Quality: Disabled.

Track Settings

• Track: Changes each hour according to the theme for that week.
  • Time/Weather: May be used where possible & appropriate.

Event Settings

• Game Mode: Normal Race.
  • Laps: Changes from Race 1 to Race 2 depending on the length of the track being used.
  • Grid Order: Fastest Drivers First for Race 1, & Reverse Grid Based On Previous Results for Race 2.
  • Start Type: Grid Start.
  • Boost: No.
  • Penalties: None, hence the conscientious driver requirement.
  • Automatic Race Start Cycle: All races will be set to automatically start at the correct time.
  • Race Finish Delay: Set to 30 seconds for Sprint Races, & 90 seconds for Reverse Grid Races.
  • Grip Reduction: Real.
  • Mechanical Damage: Heavy, hence the competent driver requirement.
  • Tyre/Fuel Depletion: On.

Regulation Settings
  • Car Restrictions: Chosen from the Recommended list, just check you're on the right tyres & choose a colour!
  • Tyre Restrictions: Changes weekly depending on the cars real life average lateral g force readings (more info).
  • SRF: Off.
  • Active Steering: Off.
  • ASM: Off.
  • Driving Line: Off.
  • TCS: Off.

Optional Information

About SSCS

Saturday Stock Car Series is about the sheer joy of driving & racing untuned cars, mainly on real world tracks, with all their little idiosyncrasies & full character on display. Couple that with the fact you'll be racing them against the cleanest drivers out there, & it becomes an utterly exhilarating experience unlike no other. You'll find yourself digging deep within your bag of talent as you not only fight your competition out on track, but also fight the very nature of the car, which is just waiting for you to make the tiniest of errors so it can bite you in the ass!

Tried & Tested SSCS Drivers *

VirtualBornRacer, henessy_86, outlaw4rc, GTP_GhostDriver, ZKippe, Beastyboon, Cpt_Disaster, GTP_PrudentBear, cobrius, nicols120, Kemp1010, Rotorist, DARREN200COOK, jack_Gtr, GTP_w-g-e, benjaben, helder_pimenta, BRM-V16, Danny-55, GTP_Twissy, Gulwick, d1983, GTAS_PEETHAM, GTAS_No1home, BRM_cumfirst, OnTheBubble, THEFASTCAR, GTP_Jet, NEPALII, GTP_SuperSic, theewar, THE_KARLNESS, mr_VOLCANO, MarvinTPA, Symp_4000, KingChesh, GTP_Undutchable, DaHammas510 & justin_credible0.

The drivers listed above have all demonstrated impeccably Good Racecraft (click it & read) at SSCS. If you see anyone else out on track other than those mentioned, I can't confirm their abilities or intentions as they're either non-regulars I've not personally raced, or newbies, & thus under observation.

Concours Club

SSCS is proud to announce a brand new partnership with the Concours Club. They offer the same high level of clean and close racing, running same car/same tune race meets (their Lounge settings are almost identical to ours too). They operate on a Sunday, so now you can race the SSCS way all weekend!

PS: Anyone wishing to quote parts of this post in another thread or on another website may do so as long as they credit me (VBR) as the original author & provide a link back to this page.

Last edited:
that pic is from my first race, them cars were a handfull lol. To anyone whos interested this is a great series from anyone who takes gt5 seriously. The racing is close so you need to have a bit of skill. as vbr said he uses the real world stats for the tyres so be prepared for less grip than your used to, VBR you should post that race around monaco as a showcase as to what sscs is all about.

If you wanna race, just add me on PSN & come to My Lounge whenever you want during the event as I've now scrapped the Test Race idea. This weeks theme, car, tyres & tracks have been posted up, check the info under the picture in the OP.

Hope to see some of you out on track for clean & fun racing!

:)

Last edited:
My Lounge: Disconnected Rule, Explained!

• If you cannot join My Lounge & get disconnected, you must wait 2 minutes before trying again.

When someone is entering My Lounge, the track selection setting becomes greyed out, & cannot be used. If a person gets disconnected & keeps on trying to enter the room, I am unable to choose the next track, which can result in the event being delayed. One time it was so bad, that I had 4 people all trying to get in at the same time, & getting disconnected repeatedly, this lead to the track settings screen freezing up altogether. We all had to leave My Lounge, then return to reset it, qually was missed which resulted in incidents during the race (one where I got damaged), & we had a very bad start to the night.

So please do not be selfish by repeatedly trying to gain access to My Lounge if you get disconnected, as you may end up ruining the event for others, thank you.

Last edited:
I think you are 5 hours ahead of me, I'm in eastern time, so it starts at 2:45pm where i'm at. I'll definately be there if I'm on my PS3 while you are racing. It looks like a lot of fun.

I'll send you a friend request as soon as I get on today.

Last edited:
I really like the sound of this!
Only problem is i can't normally get online untill 9:30-10:00pm.
Would it be a problem if i joined at this sort of time and just compete in the last 1 or 2 races?

Will send a friend request 👍

Would it be a problem if i joined at this sort of time and just compete in the last 1 or 2 races?

You are welcome to turn up & race anytime between 7:35pm & 11:35pm.

Had some great racing last night, thanks guys & I'm looking forward to next Saturday.

👍

i like this idea except no headsets, cause what if your having problems or want to communicate with friends w/ o having to take hours to type. just have no foul language as a rule if thats what your worried about. thats what me and a friend do and people obey and if they dont you boot them. simple as that, ill think it oover and add you if i want to join

i like this idea except no headsets, cause what if your having problems or want to communicate with friends w/ o having to take hours to type. just have no foul language as a rule if thats what your worried about. thats what me and a friend do and people obey and if they dont you boot them. simple as that, ill think it oover and add you if i want to join

I think the main reason for no headsets is because some talking down a mic can be off putting during the race but i suppose a suggestion could be that we are allowed them in the lobby.

The main reason for me disabling chat in My Lounge is that it takes up bandwidth which I would rather use for racing & according to PD it can increase the probability of errors, also not everyone has headsets anyway. I wanna race not chat, real race drivers don't talk to each other when racing so nor do we, text chat is more than adequate for a quick word between races. If you don't have a keyboard for your PS3 (but you do have a PC), you can use your computers keyboard for the PS3 if it's USB.

I hope you add me, come racing next Saturday & try it out.

👍

The problem with asking people to use Chat just in the lobby is that some idiot will always forget, start talking & put people off, even a mic left on in a race can be very distracting for some as you can hear background noise. Listening to the engine noise of a car is vital for me to race properly & shift gears ect, I also find chat annoying so will always disable it in My Lounge.

Last edited:
i'll send you a friend request when i'm next online, VBR. Sounds like fun.

Didn't know about being able to use a keyboard from a PC either - good to know!

This Saturdays Theme, Car, Tyres & Tracks has been revealed & it's gonna be our tougest challenge yet (see info under pic in OP). Whoever can master control over the throttle, brakes & save their tyres will most likely be up the sharp end competing for the win.

Practice is optional & unlimited for SSCS as always, I think I'm gonna have to break with tradition this week & have a few sessions in it myself, cos boy it's a hard car to drive fast.

Last edited:
Looks like there will be some tough racing this week!

Hopefully i'll get to race this week. When i joined the room last week i kept getting disconnected from the lobby server :grumpy:

After the 4th time it refused to connect to the room altogether :banghead:

Doing this a lot to me recently

Qualification: Space Rule, Explained!

• Always leave plenty of space between yourself & others (divide: drivers on track, by lap time, for gap).

Your goal on exiting the pits during qually, should not be to steam out at full speed & try putting in a fast lap, the first lap is not timed anyway, it's an out lap & is of little importance! Rather, you should be concerned firstly: with not interfering with drivers who are on a hot lap, secondly: with making sure you are as far apart from everyone else on track as possible, & thirdly: warming your tyres in preparation for your first hot lap.

Divide the amount of drivers on track by the average lap time (rounded up or down) for the approximate gap you should be aiming to leave. For instance: the C30 on Rome does a 1'28.XXX, round it up to 1'30 (90 seconds), now divide it by how many drivers are on track (let's say there are 13), 13 goes into 90 6 times, so the gap to the driver in front needs to be about 6 seconds.

Or, if you're no good at maths, just look at the track map & make sure you are as far apart from everyone else as you can be. Faster drivers may need to leave a bigger gap to the driver in front to account for the fact that they may be several seconds a lap faster, & may catch them up before the end of the session.

Last edited:
This sounds like a lot of fun, I think I will join you guys. what time does the event start in PST ?

Last edited:
This sounds like a lot of fun, I think I will join you guys. what time does the event start in PST ?

I don't know, It's about 16:10 here in the UK so if you look at the time stamp in this post & do the math I'm sure you can work it out.

👍

Hi, this sounds like something I've been looking for. I'll throw a friend request at your way when I get my PS3 running.

(Just sat one out) I am getting murdered. But to my defense I will blame it on that fact that I don't know at least 2 of these tracks and have never driven the F40 before. I just hopped in this today lol.

Good race though still. If I can get my %^&* together I will be coming back.

Hey vbr sorry I didnt make it last week I was having problems with my internet. Hopefully it will be sorted by the next race

Hey vbr sorry I didnt make it last week I was having problems with my internet. Hopefully it will be sorted by the next race

No worries hen, hope you get it sorted out mate. SSCS isn't on this Saturday as I've got something else on, it'll be back the week after though on the 2/4/2011.

👍

EDIT: I'm gonna be rather busy for the next few months & won't be running this event for a while, hopefully it'll be on again after that.

Last edited:
why are you not doing it for a few months mate

Sorry, only just saw your post. :dunce: I'm moving house, too much to do at the moment to be able to run this event properly. It will definately be back on once I've got the time to give it the attention it deserves, watch this space!

Ok mate just send me a message on psn when your starting up again

Last edited by a moderator:
im really missing sscs vbr, I cant find any decent races. when do you reckon it will be back on

Sounds good. I'm interested in joining your race one day if psn ever comes back up.

Hi, I have read through your opening post and would like to be able to join in from time to time. I currently race online and am a competition organiser on worldleagueracing.com, and I also race in another group on GTP called Married With Children Racing Club (MWCRC). I wouldn't neccessarily be able to make it for every event, but I reckon I could manage at least once a month, and would like to join in if possible when PSN is back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back