2011 Formula One DHL Turkish Grand Prix

Hm, another pole to finish win for Mr. Vettel. At this rate, we won't actually know if he has a good racecraft or not. Someone HAS to get in front of him to keep him honest....

But with everyone else, it was a good bit of racing!

Although I don't really like Alonso, I have to admit he was the man of the race, absolutely sublime driving, well done.

Both Alonso & Massa got 319.2km/h at the speed trap (on the run down to 12) during qualifying. You can't go by the speeds displayed on screen as they're fudged in some way.

And often displaying zero when the system gets confused :lol:

Anyway, the Famine's Adjusted Teams Championship, for anyone interested:

1. Red Bull - 100pt (+- 0)
2. McLaren - 69pt (+- 0)
3. Ferrari - 60pt (+- 0)
4. Renault - 39pt (+- 0)
5. Force India - 32pt (+ 3)
6. Mercedes - 32pt (-1)
7. Toro Rosso - 24pt (+-0)
8. Sauber - 14pt (-2)
9. Williams - 8pt (+1)
10. Lotus - 4pt (-1)
11. HRT - 1pt (+1)
12. Virgin - 1pt (-1)

So Vettel demolished the track lap record held by Juan Pablo Montoya set in 2005 in a car with more power, better tires, and loads more downforce. Bravo!

You won't care about this because it's about Buemi and not one of the front runners, but how well did he perform today?! Three stops and he still managed to finish in 8th almost!

Everybody who scored points today did well. I'm just unhappy that Williams didn't pick up a point.

Am I the only person who thinks that Maldonado is a waste of talent and petrol? Williams would be better off with Hulk. The Pastor is more trouble than he's worth.

So Vettel demolished the track lap record held by Juan Pablo Montoya set in 2005 in a car with more power, better tires, and loads more downforce. Bravo!

2005 race fastest lap: Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren-Mercedes - 1'24.770
2011 race fastest lap: Mark Webber, Red Bull Renault - 1'29.703

Or "no".

Am I the only person who thinks that Maldonado is a waste of talent and petrol? Williams would be better off with Hulk. The Pastor is more trouble than he's worth.

Unnamed source to unnamed Williams engineer: "So, how's your new driver?"
Unnamed Williams engineer to unnamed source: "Very rich, thanks."

Eww, Vettel just sprayed his win juice all over Kinky Kylie...

Practicing for this week's caption contest?

F1 drivers, no respect for their elders. All those young whippersnappers elbowing Grandpa Schumi aside today... tsk. tsk. A weekend to forget for Massa, too. So close, and yet so very very faaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

Absolutely fantastic drive from Alonso. Whatever you may say about his personality, there's no doubting the man is a wizard behind the wheel.

Hamilton a distant fourth. Without that botched pitstop, he would have been a close fourth. And it's all his fault... got tangled up when he took an opportunistic lunge on Webber in the first lap, and he lost a chance to make it a four way fight for the lead.

I do wonder, though... if the McLaren's stiffness was part of its undoing on this track... making it use up tires more than the RBRs and Ferraris.

Oh. And go Kobayashi. Still a member in good standing of the fan club. :D But my vote for driver of the day has to go to Alonso. Some fantastic racing from the Spaniard.

Oh. And go Kobayashi. Still a member in good standing of the fan club. :D But my vote for driver of the day has to go to Alonso. Some fantastic racing from the Spaniard.

Agree completely. I really didn't expect Alonso to be that competitive.

I want to see:
Kobayashi in the points
Massa in front of Alonso
Vettel in front of Webber
Hamilton in front of Button
More Drifts from Maldanado
A true showing of the Renault
Passes in non-DRS zones
Well I got most of it right, save for Alonso and the Renaults. Maybe if they stopped running into other people and each other they would do better.

I think much more needs to be done about the quality of the filming of the races. I admit there was a lot to cover in that race but the only time I saw Kobayashi pass anyone was when Schumacher sent him on the grass.

Classic Hamilton at the start and classic Schumacher with everyone else though, both racers to the end. Button "the tyre master" ran out at the end and it showed.

Alonso, good drive, but he is still my least favorite driver on the grid.

Agree about Maldanado, he hasnt done anything to prove to me that he deserves to be in that seat. Same as Algersuari. Perez is doing great though, he just needs some luck.

Does anyone get any coverage of the GP2/3 races? Apparently there was a good crash in the first GP3 race.

I think much more needs to be done about the quality of the filming of the races. I admit there was a lot to cover in that race but the only time I saw Kobayashi pass anyone was when Schumacher sent him on the grass.

I agree, wish they would do a split screen when there is a pass or something and the camera is focusing on someone else.

Agree about Maldanado, he hasnt done anything to prove to me that he deserves to be in that seat. Same as Algersuari. Perez is doing great though, he just needs some luck.

I think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't done anything considering the Williams hasn't performed well thus far. Alguersuari will probably be the one getting replaced by Ricciardo as well.

2005 race fastest lap: Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren-Mercedes - 1'24.770
2011 race fastest lap: Mark Webber, Red Bull Renault - 1'29.703

Or "no".

To be fair, if refueling wasn't banned and the Pirelli tires didn't degrade so quickly, those race times would be much closer. Seeing as Vettel got a 1’25.049 in Qualifying. But yeah, the guys on BBC got it wrong when they said Vettel beat the lap record.

As for the race, it was good to see Ferrari on the podium for the first time this season. Hopefully they can built on today's effort in Spain. And Kobayashi with a great drive through the field. He continues to impress me!

I agree, wish they would do a split screen when there is a pass or something and the camera is focusing on someone else.

I think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't done anything considering the Williams hasn't performed well thus far. Alguersuari will probably be the one getting replaced by Ricciardo as well.
True, was it gearbox in Australia? It was engine in Malaysia, he managed to finish the last two races but Im pretty sure he has either crashed or spun in at least one session at every round. Although in China he had a pretty good showing if he didnt crash on the way into the pits, IIRC.

To be fair, if refueling wasn't banned and the Pirelli tires didn't degrade so quickly, those race times would be much closer. Seeing as Vettel got a 1’25.049 in Qualifying. But yeah, the guys on BBC got it wrong when they said Vettel beat the lap record.

They can only drive what they've got.

If qualifying in 2005 wasn't a one-shot lap for TV but the three round format we have now, Raikonnen wouldn't have had a paltry 1'26.797. Qualifying laps are also (oddly) not regarded as lap records, only race ones. 1'24.770 was set in a race situation and is the only lap ever recorded under 1'25 at that circuit of any kind...

I always found that completely stupid. There is literally no legitimate reason why qualifying laps shouldn't go toward lap records. It's a lap of the track where the driver is trying to lap as fast as possible, usually on his own. Races have traffic, fuel and tyre strategies + engine saving modes. It needs to be addressed.

Another great win for Vettel, not much else to say really, no mistakes and just effectively cruised to that win. Rosberg helped massively, though even then Vettel always had 8 seconds or so on anyone who started catching him.

Great battling from loads of drivers today. I loved the Hamilton/Button battle, fantastic. There was a lot of action we missed, I hope there is some footage somewhere of Kobayashi's first stint!

Even though 1st was pretty much a non-fight, 2nd place was completely unpredictable till the very end. Any one of Webber, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, Rosberg or Button could have finished 2nd today. All of those drivers did well today.

I can't really say much about the midfield and the rear of the pack because we barely saw it! Buemi did well to finish 9th in the end but it was difficult to really understand who had a good race and who simply lost out on strategy. Barrichello looked strong early on but faded fast.

Schumacher has to be on the way out of Mercedes now surely. That was yet another dreadful race with some of the worst racecraft, he even managed to somehow repeat a Hill/Villenueve move on Petrov today! Petrov was also pretty crazy with Heidfeld, it was an odd incident, it looked like Petrov was going to follow the Williams ahead into the pits and this is why he went wide into Nick. But whether he was actually wanting to pit or he was just blindly following the Williams I don't know. That or he was just being stupidly aggressive against his teammate.

Amazingly, we have yet to have a safety car this season!

Was there even a yellow at all this race?

There was a couple of sector yellows for Di Resta's retirement, Liuzzi off the road at Turn 8 and probably (but I can't remember for sure) one for Massa when he went off at Turn 8.

Was there even a yellow at all this race?

Yes for about two maybe three seconds. I don't know what for though.

Brundle was saying that there are less incidents at the start of the race because the drivers aren't making desperate moves in the early laps. They know they can pass.

That could explain the lack of safety cars.

They can only drive what they've got.

If qualifying in 2005 wasn't a one-shot lap for TV but the three round format we have now, Raikonnen wouldn't have had a paltry 1'26.797. Qualifying laps are also (oddly) not regarded as lap records, only race ones. 1'24.770 was set in a race situation and is the only lap ever recorded under 1'25 at that circuit of any kind...

The reason Kimi only managed a 1'26.797, is because drivers had to qualify on race fuel load in 2005. You weren't allowed to refuel prior to the race. But with refueling allowed during the race and low-degrading tires, drivers could go on stints were they drove like it was a qualifying session. That's why it wasn't unusual to see race times faster than qualifying times in those days.

He has looked pretty amateurish. I'm amazed that he won in gp2. I don't follow gp2 closely enough, I only read what I can in Autosport. Although he's on a comedown from his amazing performance in Australia, Perez looks much more like a grand prix driver. Pastor looks out of his depth. The car isn't doing him any favours though. He seemed ok when he talked to the bbc on the qualifying pre-show. He is still learning to be fair, but I don't see much of a future in him. We should give him until mid season before completely writing him off though.

Alex.
I always found that completely stupid. There is literally no legitimate reason why qualifying laps shouldn't go toward lap records. It's a lap of the track where the driver is trying to lap as fast as possible, usually on his own. Races have traffic, fuel and tyre strategies + engine saving modes. It needs to be addressed.

It's a bit of a traditional thing. I actually agree with the rule. Grand prix racing is about more than just flat out speed over one lap. Very rare in a race situation to have low fuel and fresh tyres, let alone a perfect lap in good conditions with no traffic. A lap record means more as a result. It may have been set in perfect conditions, but it most probably wasn't.

EDIT: I'm surprised Lewis hasn't been warned for his conduct in the pitlane. Granted, it was ferrari's fault for the unsafe release. Lewis pushed massa back onto the pit apron. I remember him moaning about Vettel doing the same thing to him in Shanghai 2010. Both drivers were reprimanded in that situation. I think in this case, felipe should have maybe backed off sooner, but eventually he did the right thing... Lewis at least deserved a reprimand. Ferrari deserve some kind of warning/penalty too.

Link to the youtube video. Tried to embed several times unsuccessfully. Any help would be appreciated.

I find the lack of action disturbing.

Last edited:
Schumacher has to be on the way out of Mercedes now surely. That was yet another dreadful race with some of the worst racecraft, he even managed to somehow repeat a Hill/Villenueve move on Petrov today!

Schuey had a poor race, but I disagree with the bit in bold.

That was as much Petrov's fault as it was Schumacher's. Petrov went into the corner too deep and took Schuey by surprise. If you look at the footage, you'll note that Petrov didn't even attempt to steer into the corner even once he'd passed the turning point. So yes, Schuey squeezed him a little too much, but had Petrov been watching what he was doing then Michael wouldn't have knocked him as he turned in.

And anyway, Michael is still doing better this year than he did last, it was just an off race.

You need the code starting after the forward slash.
Still confused, but thanks.

Tired Tyres
Hamilton doesn't leave the out lane at all.

I never said that he did. What I was saying is that he moved closer to the line to squeeze massa further onto the apron... A near identical incident in China 2010 caused Hamilton and Vettel to be warned. This time, Hamilton was in Vettel's position and Massa was in Hamilton's position (from china 2010).

Hamilton should know better as he has already been warned for a similar incident.

Still confused, but thanks.

I never said that he did. What I was saying is that he moved closer to the line to squeeze massa further onto the apron... A near identical incident in China 2010 caused Hamilton and Vettel to be warned. This time, Hamilton was in Vettel's position and Massa was in Hamilton's position (from china 2010).

Hamilton should know better as he has already been warned for a similar incident.

That's Massa's fault, being that he was well over a half car length behind and didn't concede position immediately like he should have. Hamilton didn't break any rule that I'm aware of (as he didn't cross the white line).

Indeed, the fault is in Massa for not ceding position to Hamilton once in that situation and ultimately the guy who can over-ride the traffic light system, which has again failed for Ferrari, but of course, it doesn't matter.

Fantastic race, too much action to take in in the first half or so. Incredible.

Back