• Yeah, that would rock!

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • Hell no! GT is about cars!

Votes: 99 57.9%
  • Don't care..

Votes: 17 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Look I really understand that Bikes are not going to happen in GT5. But I do hope that some day PD will make a game with Cars VS Bikes. If i wanted to just race bikes, I would play Tourist Trophy. But, that is not the point. Cars vs Bikes, R6 vs a Dodge Viper on Route 7.. Just doing highway pulls with friends.. or a CBR600 vs a Nissan GTR around the Nurburgring.... It really would be more fun then all you pessimists think....I could buy other arcadey games, but I dont like that, thats not what im looking for. PD makes racing simulators and thats what im looking for. If they want to make the most money they will make GT6, TT2, and a hybrid game with both. Honestly I would buy all 3, and they would open up their market to bike fans. Im not worried about rage quitting or dirty racing etc. 1) Thats a risk you take if you want to race against a car while riding a bike. 2) Im sure it wouldnt be very hard to turn on a ghost car/bike option. 3) If you did want to race clean, it would only make you a better driver waiting for the right time to choose your pass or driving line. Its still only a dream for a few of us. But we are out here, and we are waiting.

The real irony of this thread is that many gt lovers want this, but when other suggestions like free roam and such come up it's a different story. Those people are told no because it would be to much like midnight club or NFS-esque even PGR. The people usually saying no are the same group of Gt fans that want bikes and cars in the same game.

It just seems a bit confusing.
Well, it seems Sony have just patented something.... crazy :D :D :D

a3nrQ.png

R6Hmn.png

GNfHA.png

original.jpg

This certainly looks like handlebars, it supports *gyro* through Move functionality and has some interesting button layout.

http://kotaku.com/5903267/time-to-play-what-the-hell-is-this-thing-sony-just-patented

It looked great till I got to the portion where the player was standing up and using it. Looked a bit awkward. If playseat or rseat or any such company came up with a seat/fuel pod bike system to use that with, I think people would buy into it.

Rob-F1-Fan
Its too hard to "drive" a bike with a gaming controller.
But i would love some MotoGP bikes ,preferably with Valentino Rossi back on his Yamaha

tt worked great with the ps2 controller. Analog l/r2 buttons on ds3 would only add to your ability to control the bike

A motorcycle is predominantly leaned and steered using the handlebars. It's not ideal but there's no reason why a control pad should not be used for this input. It's just a game after all.

A motorcycle is predominantly leaned and steered using the handlebars. It's not ideal but there's no reason why a control pad should not be used for this input. It's just a game after all.

Exactly, you don't even ride a bicycle like that (purely with the bars), why would a motorcycle be any different?

Real riders have already stated that you do in fact steer the bike by leaning it.
Someone else mentioned that you steer the bars in the opposite direction, but what I think they really mean is that you apply a force in the opposite direction, because once leant over, the bike wants to collapse; due to the geometry of the front end, this forces the bars in the direction you're turning, so you push against that to help keep the thing upright (ish) - the lower and faster you go, the harder you need to push.

The real problem is understanding how you get the lean angle in the first place.
As far as I can analyse it, the leaning itself is mostly with your body weight, but when in a turn, you move your weight and simultaneously and temporarily tighten up the steering slightly to come out (centre of mass is above the wheels, the bike rotates over the wheels in the direction of the centrifugal force), then use the momentum and a little "nudge" with your own weight to roll it over to the other side. If you're strong / heavy, you can really muscle the thing around just by shifting your own centre of mass and levering between your legs and arms, a bit like a bicycle.

In that sense, you can control a bike in the game using a single stick for leaning angle and have the game interpret the physics (real-world bike control) inputs required to achieve that lean angle. "Riding style" is determined by the "weighting" and timing of the above effects as inputs, and TT already had that covered.

Real riders have already stated that you do in fact steer the bike by leaning it.

read this article. at paragraph 12 Keith talks about rigging up a motorcycle with an extra set of handlebars that are rigid (i.e. aren't connected to the fork and thus don't impact steering) and what happens when riders try to steer this motorcycle by leaning only.

Griffith500
Exactly, you don't even ride a bicycle like that (purely with the bars), why would a motorcycle be any different?

Someone else mentioned that you steer the bars in the opposite direction, but what I think they really mean is that you apply a force in the opposite direction, because once leant over, the bike wants to collapse; due to the geometry of the front end, this forces the bars in the direction you're turning, so you push against that to help keep the thing upright (ish) - the lower and faster you go, the harder you need to push.

The real problem is understanding how you get the lean angle in the first place.
As far as I can analyse it, the leaning itself is mostly with your body weight, but when in a turn, you move your weight and simultaneously and temporarily tighten up the steering slightly to come out (centre of mass is above the wheels, the bike rotates over the wheels in the direction of the centrifugal force), then use the momentum and a little "nudge" with your own weight to roll it over to the other side. If you're strong / heavy, you can really muscle the thing around just by shifting your own centre of mass and levering between your legs and arms, a bit like a bicycle.

In that sense, you can control a bike in the game using a single stick for leaning angle and have the game interpret the physics (real-world bike control) inputs required to achieve that lean angle. "Riding style" is determined by the "weighting" and timing of the above effects as inputs, and TT already had that covered.

It isn't leaning. It's predominantly countersteering. When you push the handlebar, it moves, the wheel steers the way you pushed it and the bike leans in the opposite direction, and would continue to lean all the way over if you kept that steering input constant.

You're aware of steering geometry and steering mass distribution, so clearly you have some understanding of the way a motorcycle behaves whilst cornering. Most road bikes will steer themselves back to vertical if you release the handlebars. The geometry, the contact patch and the mass of the front end components contribute to an "oversteer". The front wheel turns in more than is necessary to maintain the angle of lean, and the wheels are steered back beneath the mass of the bike. Race bikes are often setup in a less safe, less stable way.

If you read about gyroscopic precession being the main factor, then also read about the bikes which have been built with opposite rotating wheels to investigate the theory which steer in the same way as a normal bike.

The front wheel is not locked in place, it goes where you steer it and the bike reacts to that more than anything else you can do.

Control the bars and you control vast, vast majority of the steering.

read this article. at paragraph 12 Keith talks about rigging up a motorcycle with an extra set of handlebars that are rigid (i.e. aren't connected to the fork and thus don't impact steering) and what happens when riders try to steer this motorcycle by leaning only.

I did mention steering input, but I was treating it as a sort of "trim" when actually in the corner. However, I admit I did neglect to really think about getting the bike into a "lean" in the first place...
I guess with a heavy bike and lots of gyroscopic force ("high" speed), you are certain to have to throw yourself in the "wrong direction" to get the lean you need to stay on the bike in the turn you're attempting. This initial kick is made easier by positioning your body weight to the "inside", so less "counter-steering" (ugh, confusing term, makes me think it's a response against something, rather than a precursor to initiate something) is required, of course. Thanks for pointing that out.

And thanks to sinbad, too.
So, that gyroscopic precession phenomenon: I assume that's where the spinning object, say, a bike's front wheel, will try to turn around an axis orthogonal to both the axis of "steering" and of "spinning". That is, you turn the bars to the right, but the wheel banks to the left. Presumably, the effect is less than the rolling / banking / leaning moment caused by the centrifugal force created (at the same time) by turning the bars the "wrong way", which is why spinning the wheel in the backward direction makes little difference? I'd love to see that being done; was it geared flywheels attached to the wheels or something?

I would go further and still say that the lighter the bike (especially any rotating parts) and the slower you go (so, er, my experience, then), the easier it is to "muscle" and / or "knock" the bike into a lean without "counter-steer", though (and no doubt it is always contributory, reducing the required "counter-steer" amount if you actively lever and shift your weight at the right time, with the steering, depending on how brave / skilled / stupid you are).
I guess I'd never really given the act of actually "turning in" much thought, only what I do to balance everything in a corner. Now I'm going to be thinking about that when I shouldn't be...

Anyway, in terms of a control scheme for a game, lean angle is intuitive and easily handled on an existing controller; the physics would interpret that as a requested angle of lean (and thus, requested centripetal acceleration, or turning radius for the current speed) and make the subtle inputs required to get the bike into that position. You can already tweak the riding style in TT, and it affects things like transient response, corner stability etc., aside from the bike's setup. No reason it couldn't be customised further, I guess.

If there was any chance of feedback, a pure steering control method could be noob- / user-friendly, but even with that recently patented controller, I suspect it will be lacking somewhat.
Despite that, there's no reason such a "hardcore" steering mode couldn't be offered. Might even be fun / educational!

Thanks again. 👍
P.S. I just watched this video, and my mind was blown. I can't not be doing it, but I never realised! Bizarrely, I described the exact same process, only in the context of pulling the bike up and out of a lean.

I did mention steering input, but I was treating it as a sort of "trim" when actually in the corner. However, I admit I did neglect to really think about getting the bike into a "lean" in the first place...
I guess with a heavy bike and lots of gyroscopic force ("high" speed), you are certain to have to throw yourself in the "wrong direction" to get the lean you need to stay on the bike in the turn you're attempting. This initial kick is made easier by positioning your body weight to the "inside", so less "counter-steering" (ugh, confusing term, makes me think it's a response against something, rather than a precursor to initiate something) is required, of course. Thanks for pointing that out.

So, that gyroscopic precession phenomenon: I assume that's where the spinning object, say, a bike's front wheel, will try to turn around an axis orthogonal to both the axis of "steering" and of "spinning". That is, you turn the bars to the right, but the wheel banks to the left. Presumably, the effect is less than the rolling / banking / leaning moment caused by the centrifugal force created (at the same time) by turning the bars the "wrong way", which is why spinning the wheel in the backward direction makes little difference? I'd love to see that being done; was it geared flywheels attached to the wheels or something?

I would go further and still say that the lighter the bike (especially any rotating parts) and the slower you go (so, er, my experience, then), the easier it is to "muscle" and / or "knock" the bike into a lean without "counter-steer", though (and no doubt it is always contributory, reducing the required "counter-steer" amount if you actively lever and shift your weight at the right time, with the steering, depending on how brave / skilled / stupid you are).
I guess I'd never really given the act of actually "turning in" much thought, only what I do to balance everything in a corner. Now I'm going to be thinking about that when I shouldn't be...

Anyway, in terms of a control scheme for a game, lean angle is intuitive and easily handled on an existing controller; the physics would interpret that as a requested angle of lean (and thus, requested centripetal acceleration, or turning radius for the current speed) and make the subtle inputs required to get the bike into that position. You can already tweak the riding style in TT, and it affects things like transient response, corner stability etc., aside from the bike's setup. No reason it couldn't be customised further, I guess.

If there was any chance of feedback, a pure steering control method could be noob- / user-friendly, but even with that recently patented controller, I suspect it will be lacking somewhat.
Despite that, there's no reason such a "hardcore" steering mode couldn't be offered. Might even be fun / educational!

Thanks again. 👍
P.S. I just watched this video, and my mind was blown. I can't not be doing it, but I never realised! Bizarrely, I described the exact same process, only in the context of pulling the bike up and out of a lean.

Counter steering on a streetbike is amazing once you realize to just do it instead of doing it anyways at a slower rate from leaning thus applying the same forces on your arms.

Don't take the video you posted for what happens at speed. that was fairly slow speed and the tired had to turn back into the direction of the turn to catch the bike because the speed was too low.

Find a road, ride about 45 or 50 and steer right and it'll turn left, steer left and it'll turn right, all varying on how much pressure is applied.

A little pressure is low lean large radius turn, and LOT of pressure harder turn and more lean. Body positioning has roles too. I countersteer first then body position to balance.

KNOWING COUNTERSTEERING is a VERY VITAL PART OF RIDING A BIKE, it's saved me from broken bones and road rash and has maybe even saved my life on the streets. An extra blink of time at 75 or higher to avoid collision can be the difference between life or death. I highly suggest all riders to put in work to know their countersteering well.

Thanks again. 👍
it's really not that complicated. on a motorcycle traveling at speed, if you want to turn left you momentarily push the left handlebar away from your body until the bike begins to fall over to the left side. at this point if you were to continue to push the left bar you and the bike would fall to the ground on the left side, but you don't do that.

once the bike is leaned over your steering inputs constantly change from left hand push to pull to keep the bike balanced in the corner until the turn ends; if you begin falling towards the ground too fast you pull the left grip to you and if you begin coming upright too quickly you push away again. this happens so quickly that you don't even think about it, but that's what's going on.

when you're through the turn you stop providing any input to the handlebars and bike returns upright automatically (as stated by another poster above).

the reason countersteering doesn't make sense at first is because if you told someone to steer right to turn left their first reaction is that they'd end up on the ground - which is completely true if you don't adjust your steering inputs once the bike is leaned over. in reality it comes to you automatically. if you've ever ridden a bicycle before you've almost definitely counter-steered already.

if you don't have a motorcycle you can try counter-steering on a bicycle - 10mph and a little bit of open space is all you need.

^^ you can try it with a spinning wheel also. You get a good idea of what the gyro effect is all about. Take an unmounted bicycle wheel and spin it in your hands holding the axle, try turning it the direction you want it to go, it wont happen.

Last edited:
Counter steering on a streetbike is amazing once you realize to just do it instead of doing it anyways at a slower rate from leaning thus applying the same forces on your arms.

Don't take the video you posted for what happens at speed. that was fairly slow speed and the tired had to turn back into the direction of the turn to catch the bike because the speed was too low.

Find a road, ride about 45 or 50 and steer right and it'll turn left, steer left and it'll turn right, all varying on how much pressure is applied.

A little pressure is low lean large radius turn, and LOT of pressure harder turn and more lean. Body positioning has roles too. I countersteer first then body position to balance.

KNOWING COUNTERSTEERING is a VERY VITAL PART OF RIDING A BIKE, it's saved me from broken bones and road rash and has maybe even saved my life on the streets. An extra blink of time at 75 or higher to avoid collision can be the difference between life or death. I highly suggest all riders to put in work to know their countersteering well.

Yeah, I figured it had to be subtle, otherwise you'd see it every day. Thanks. 👍

The major problem / barrier to understanding I had is with the term itself: "counter-steer". Also the "turn left to go right" maxim is not helpful, because you're turning left to initiate the lean to the right (i.e. to go straight on!) and then you turn to the right to correct (counter) the imbalance; or rather, the steering and tyre geometry does that naturally, usually excessively, so you still feel as though you're pushing left on the bars, but they're actually pointing to the right, unless you're Casey Stoner, or something! Which is another point: when / if you oversteer or drift, what do you call the corrective steering action?
I don't know if everybody can distinguish between steering force and absolute (within a certain accuracy) steering angle, but it sounds like something of importance for riding a bike.

There is another term for the same thing: "positive steering", which isn't shared with any existing but distinct terms (e.g. counter-steering in cars) and sort of evokes that preparatory and decisive nature of the process itself, probably helped by it being a blank canvas for most people.

I guess it's just my excuse for being too stupid to realise what was actually meant by the term. :dopey:
But I think it should be taught in terms of centrifugal / centripetal force balance (using understandable terms), and compared with the imbalance required to walk on two legs etc. before giving it a name. As for experienced riders, we should follow Wilbur Wright's lead and take a self-education approach. No loaded questions, no new terminology.
"Turn left to go right" is possibly dumbed down too much, (or perhaps in some cases, deliberately obtuse), to the point that it misses the real effect (turn left to "go" straight on!) - it's fine for people who understand the implied effect, though, which may actually be the real issue; we're not all teachers. I'll be testing this on a friend....

Anyway, none of this is reason not to have a motorcycle game. Knowing about this phenomenon has taken some of that "witchcraft" feel out of it, for me. I suspect those in opposition of such a game might not have been fully aware of the mechanics themselves. :P

I suspect those in opposition of such a game might not have been fully aware of the mechanics themselves. :P

I suspect those in opposition just dont like bikes anywhere near their car game or developer of said game. Bikes are the red headed step child for most of the opposition, they dont want PD to address anything with bikes until their endless list of requests, hopes and dreams are fulfilled.

Totally missed this thread.
But I won't like bikes in GT5.
I would rather see them in a new Tourist trophy :)

Go and ask blackbean how hard it's been for them to get a half decent steering input. They've been at it for ages.

There are times on a bike where you lean opposite to your steering angle. It's not all about lean. Riders weight forwards and backwards too.

Last edited:
trk29
And the physics are no way near what TT had. I can't stand their games.

Tt felt good and immersed you well, but the physics were really nothing to shout about. The loss of rear traction in particular was just weird, plus the stupid throttle nanny didn't help.

Spagetti69
Go and ask blackbean how hard it's been for them to get a half decent steering input. They've been at it for ages.

There are times on a bike where you lean opposite to your steering angle. It's not all about lean. Riders weight forwards and backwards too.

That's because they pump out c***p. Milestone had it right with SBK01 and TT did it right too several years later. It can be done properly, and it should be done. So much fun!

Tt felt good and immersed you well, but the physics were really nothing to shout about. The loss of rear traction in particular was just weird, plus the stupid throttle nanny didn't help.

Yeah, the tyre physics were odd. But then so were GT4's.
Also: perma-ABS and its attendant stability control effect, also inherited from GT4.

It's worth improving on, definitely.

Yeah, I figured it had to be subtle, otherwise you'd see it every day. Thanks. 👍

The major problem / barrier to understanding I had is with the term itself: "counter-steer". Also the "turn left to go right" maxim is not helpful, because you're turning left to initiate the lean to the right (i.e. to go straight on!) and then you turn to the right to correct (counter) the imbalance; or rather, the steering and tyre geometry does that naturally, usually excessively, so you still feel as though you're pushing left on the bars, but they're actually pointing to the right, unless you're Casey Stoner, or something! Which is another point: when / if you oversteer or drift, what do you call the corrective steering action?
I don't know if everybody can distinguish between steering force and absolute (within a certain accuracy) steering angle, but it sounds like something of importance for riding a bike.

There is another term for the same thing: "positive steering", which isn't shared with any existing but distinct terms (e.g. counter-steering in cars) and sort of evokes that preparatory and decisive nature of the process itself, probably helped by it being a blank canvas for most people.

I guess it's just my excuse for being too stupid to realise what was actually meant by the term. :dopey:
But I think it should be taught in terms of centrifugal / centripetal force balance (using understandable terms), and compared with the imbalance required to walk on two legs etc. before giving it a name. As for experienced riders, we should follow Wilbur Wright's lead and take a self-education approach. No loaded questions, no new terminology.
"Turn left to go right" is possibly dumbed down too much, (or perhaps in some cases, deliberately obtuse), to the point that it misses the real effect (turn left to "go" straight on!) - it's fine for people who understand the implied effect, though, which may actually be the real issue; we're not all teachers. I'll be testing this on a friend....

Anyway, none of this is reason not to have a motorcycle game. Knowing about this phenomenon has taken some of that "witchcraft" feel out of it, for me. I suspect those in opposition of such a game might not have been fully aware of the mechanics themselves. :P

Yeah it truly is too dumbed down. I've been riding motorcycles for 22 years of my life and I didn't fully get the counter steering talk either till I had my first streetbike and was riding and did what I told you, steady speed and varying amounts of opposite turn pressure to turn and I realized instantly what was happening and it transfers to all outlets of 2 wheel riding.

The thing is I'd been riding FOR YEARS and im fast on moto x and I never really knew I was counter steering but was doing it any time I rode. nobody ever said anything about counter steering. It's a far too little talked about aspect of riding.

Now your question about drifting or having the back end step out.........now I'm confused too.....hahahah I would call that counter steering. HAHAHAH

I suppose that is why there is so much confusion about counter steering.

At about 2:20 in this video i am turning left to steer right while sliding some rear tire also to set up for a trick. I initiate this by pulling on my left bar and pushing on the right. You can see it makes the bike lean over and start to turn right but it's not turning as much as it normally would if the rear tire was not skidding. you can see the camera man thinks I'm going to run him over cause he sees the bike turning his direction as well.

The corrective steering thing is a funny one, I tend to call it opposite lock to avoid the obvious confusion.

This topic is part of what makes riding motorcycles so fascinating for me. Gtplanet is not the first forum I have debated motorcycle steering on.

I've heard funny arguments. People claiming that they don't counter steer, or sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, to people who claim it's ALL the gyroscopic-precession effect, to people who think the front wheel is steering outwards all the way through the corner.

The best game I have ever played in terms of replicating the handlebar feel is netBike. Using a dual analogue stick controller, you have to steer the opposite way to initiate the turn and then balance it through the corner before steering the bike back up right on the exit. Very difficult, perhaps too difficult and ridiculously flawed in so many ways, but incredibly rewarding and I would love it if TT2 was done with such a passion for the physics of a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Thing is, you can't blame people for not liking or wanting bikes, even Kaz himself admitted they didn't interest him much, TT was a pet project lead by one dedicated bike-mad employee which he gave his blessing to.
What does strike me as odd is that some are so anti-bike for whatever reason and seemingly afraid it might hurt the GT-franchise in more than one way, it completely blinds them from accepting a Tourist Trophy sequel (or bike DLC) could or should be a viable possibility in the near future.

Right now, I can't play my copy of TT on my PS3 (haven't got a PS2 anymore) and believe me, I've tried to replace it with other bike titles in recent years, yet they don't even come close apart perhaps from the graphics at which they finally trumped TT, the physics or even the scope (remember, road bikes mostly and not just racing bikes, it really was the GT of bike games) are so limited or appallingly bad that a lot of GT fans really crave (relatively speaking ofcourse) for a new TT game much more than another GT title right now.

So I guess you could indeed argue that GT should only be about cars, but since when does the same reasoning apply to Polyphony Digital?
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/446/exclusive-in-depth-gran-turismo-5-interview
Oct. 2009
We asked all of our friends who are known Polyphony and Gran Turismo fans what questions we should ask at our interview, and the most frequently requested question was “Are they going to make another Tourist Trophy game?”

Really?! I would really love to make another one of those. We don't have any actual concrete plans at the moment, though I'm constantly awaiting the day when I can meet Tourist Trophy again. [A pause] Really, I want you to know that I'm very glad people want another Tourist Trophy game. Make sure you let them know I'm very happy they want another one.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/273056/interviews/gran-turismo-5-its-still-work-in-progress/
Oct. 2010
Is there any possibility of seeing motorbikes in GT5, or a new Tourist Trophy?

The environment we have right now allows us to drive motorcycles, but we need to get Gran Turismo 5 done first. Once that's out of the way, if there's a strong demand for bikes that's something we'd consider.

Let's make this demand happen then.

I don't even have a bike or ride bikes in real life, but I loved Tourist Trophy and I still think that bikes could live with Gran Turismo without problems.

We have bikes + cars out there without problems. Why not in GT?

I would love a bike DLC or something and it would be a day 1 buy for me.

Back