Gran Turismo 6 coming to PS3

I'm backing Saidur on this one. Watch this:

It has a lot more footage that looks like it was cut from the trailer we got.

I think it was the Gordon Murray LCC Rocket. Thats my impression after watching the Eurogamer Video.

@ Saidur,

Without wanting to push to much (other guys will do it for sure:sly:) are those manufacturers all new to the franchise or just two manufacturers that simply didn´t appear on the trailer?
Both were in GT5, it is clear to see at least one of them featured in trailer, not sure on other one.

Just a quick guess for one of the manufacturers: Aston Martin?💡

Only appears once at the start.

If you can't answer due to confidentiality thats fine buddy I was just taking a guess.:)
I would answer but then you will get everyone asking is it this one or not ;). I don't think it should be much of a problem saying who they are though but, it will be funny if they cut footage to not show off some tracks like say Bathurst for example but Playstation Blog have confirmed it then deleted that info :lol: (GT website doesn't mention it yet). I think this is nothing knew, PDI are quite secretive, Kaz did say he wanted to show more though.

C'mon agent Saidur :lol:
:lol:

Maz

Thanks for the above and to elaborate more.

At speeds under 35mph tyres in GT5 (particularly in higher torque cars) don't break away in anything close to a progressive manner, its as if the switch between grip and no-grip is digital rather than analog, no overlap seems to exist as you transition from one to the other.

Its best seen when trying to do a standing start launch (and I believe PD are aware of the issue - hence the number of rolling starts) the tyres don't spin up and catch anything like they should (and certainly don't sidestep the car). Its better when moving but at lower speed the same issues still seem to exist.

Having dug out GT5 and started playing around with it a lot more of late its one of those things that does seriously break the immersion for me, I've never driven a car that behaves like GT5 off the line or at lower speeds (and I've driven a lot).

Its an area that sim developers have always struggled with, but most have now resolved it (for the most part) but PD still seem to be working on getting it right.

I'll try my best to answer your question, Scaff. Unfortunately I had virtually no briefing beforehand and I was surprised to hear I would be having any time on GT6 demo when I arrived at the venue. I wish I'd known, could have spent more time testing things like this out.

What I can say, and please take with suitable scepticism or caution because I wasn't specifically trying to test this, earlier comments by myself have indicated that snap oversteer wasn't unusual but that was mostly the case during my earlier laps. After getting settled I can say that any time I lost the rear of the car at low speed was down to me being greedy with the throttle or careless with steering. Nothing was jumping out at me saying "wow that didn't take much to spin" while in the SLS, Dino, 370z or Countach. On the flip side, I didn't feel that during the chicane at the end of the lap, or turn 3 hairpin, that it was handling vastly differently to how I remember GT5, and the exit of turn 3 hairpin was the spot that I had the most incidents. The occasions where I felt the cars slowly letting go and I had some time to catch them were all at the last corner, but that was 3rd/4th gear typically. In turn 4, the very small left hander between the tight right handers, going over the kerb with too much throttle and steering angle did cause some drama.

Hi Maz

I do feel that the demo we got to play is what we will get in July as it is meant to be GT6 Demo and also have GT Academy event. It was quite telling it was still in early stages so maybe that is why it is coming out in July and not earlier.

That's a good point in that the GT Academy option, along with dealerships, GPS, tutorial were present on the main menu, but I'm not certain that guarantees we will get those options for the Academy demo. I guess it also depends how much of the demo download is geared towards Academy and how much towards casual GT6 gaming experience. The build at the event may have been specifically engineered to show off some of the features Kazunori covered in his presentation. I'll be very pleased if we do see those options in the downloadable demo so that there's more to do than just Academy.

I am surprised you and Alex struggled to get to grips with it early on, I didn't do many laps but I felt at one with it quite quickly.

Certainly no excuses from me here, it's always taken me longer than most to get used to new physics or settings. Alex I think had just not played GT for a long time.

Also, we're just not as awesome as you Saidur :D

My final go on GT6 was with the SLS GT3, I was trying to also get oversteer on that and also tried drifting it. That car had loads of grip, was surprised to beat whatever best time was set at time as I was throwing car left and right on straights

The time on any particular pod could have been set by any guest or even hired staff member not necessarily comfortable or familiar with Gran Turismo as all sorts of folks were stopping by to have a go. So don't assume you we're chasing an accomplished performer :lol:

Here is video of my second lap around Silverstone GP circuit using wheel, I wanted to like find out what settings were being used on this pod. I don't know if you can remember settings, that is if you helped set it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBH3E7emNQ0

Before the final build was installed, Alex and I were typically setting pods up with no aids except ABS 1 and different cars on every pod, then only cars from manufacturers whose display cars were at the event. We were later advised when the final build was on to put driving line on and make all the pods feature the same 370Z on sports soft tyres with ABS 1 and no further aids on Silverstone International layout. Hope that helps. Should mention that I can't currently view your video from where I am.

should have probably gone over to Nissan area more, didn't know you had a bit of competition going on there. I suppose at least got to spend time with a Polyphony Digital employee for most of the day and also chief engineer of GT86, not often you get chance like that. Quite secretive as expected though (PDI Employee) ;) although I heard something interesting about video trailer they showed. I don't know if you aware of it or if I should say about it though.

There was no competition as far as I am aware. Alex and I were just chasing our own ghosts on any given pod when we had a chance to sit and play. Most of our time was spent on pre-final build so we couldn't chop and change combos and cars due to the demo crashing, therefore I spent a lot of time in the SLS and Alex the GTR. And once updated we put on the 370Z combo which we had some time on.

It's a bit of a joke yeah, Dion says in GT5 the fastest way is to enter like a boss and coast. :lol: Wondering if the same is still true in GT6. Your last couple sentences here confirm that it is, in some cases at least.

Well that was one corner, Stowe. For almost all the other corners I was on the gas pretty much immediately after coming off brakes and beginning turn in, especially the slow speed corners.

Also hello Erik :lol:

Saidur, if the PDI guy gave you the info but didn't specifically say to not share it, I don't see a problem. It wouldn't be all that different from folks discovering a GT6 page on the GT website etc. if you were specifically asked not to divulge what you've heard about the trailer then don't, otherwise I don't anticipate an issue for you. The removal of the footage could have had multiple reasons, and at events like this you can always see there are more than just gaming considerations and not everything need signal high drama between PDI and manufacturers.

All the best
Maz

No problem guys, it's a pleasure and I hope further news that comes out is to everyone's liking. I'm not sure if I am a bit biased because I really loved GT5P and GT5, just getting an opportunity to set up the PS3 these days and do one or two laps puts a big smile on my face. This demo seemed really nice to me, I just wanted to spend more and more time on it.

I've messaged Alex to come and post his thoughts in this thread so you can all have a more balanced and varied view of our experience.

All the best
Maz

That's a good point in that the GT Academy option, along with dealerships, GPS, tutorial were present on the main menu, but I'm not certain that guarantees we will get those options for the Academy demo. I guess it also depends how much of the demo download is geared towards Academy and how much towards casual GT6 gaming experience. The build at the event may have been specifically engineered to show off some of the features Kazunori covered in his presentation. I'll be very pleased if we do see those options in the downloadable demo so that there's more to do than just Academy.
It did say GT6 demo as well though and seems to have enough content in it to be worthy of being one.

Certainly no excuses from me here, it's always taken me longer than most to get used to new physics or settings. Alex I think had just not played GT for a long time.

Also, we're just not as awesome as you Saidur :D
To be fair though I did sort of 'cheat' as a few days before I tried briefly the Silverstone track on Project CARS and also Simraceway just in case I got to have a go on track in GT6. I was surprised to see you using 1 on Force Feedback, 5 seems optimum to me so maybe if you try it, you may like it. 1, you rely more on visual feedback so makes it harder to feel car fully and be at one with it. Good to see though you got yourself a wheel again.

I think my strong point is adapting to new physics or settings now as I can generally have a very good idea on what is needed to drive car close to limit after a few laps. I got an interesting story about this. I recently got to try out one of them Cruden motion simulators. Person who set it up for me said it takes a while to get used to and that most people spin out and crash IIRC. He set it up for 5 laps around Zandvoort, funny thing is I beat his best time on my 4th lap by over a second, first three laps was testing physics. I was going to probably go over a second faster still on my 5th lap but pushed a bit too hard in one of the corners which lost me too much time as I had to back off, otherwise I would spin. He was in disbelief afterwards given how little experience I have with this simulator that I managed to beat his best time in such few laps and I think he said he spent a good few hours on it the day before and also has experience on it for at least a year on it. I did say I made GT Academy finals which made him think I was not lying about my experience level on that simulator but he still was in disbelief :lol:.

:lol:, I think we can agree that we want to be as awesome as the Nismo Athletes. Quite cool to see so many GT aliens in one place, hopefully I can one day make the step mentally to get close to their level.

The time on any particular pod could have been set by any guest or even hired staff member not necessarily comfortable or familiar with Gran Turismo as all sorts of folks were stopping by to have a go. So don't assume you we're chasing an accomplished performer :lol:
Yep I knew it was not a competitive time, just was surprised as it was like end of event and thought best lap would have been a bit harder to beat. I was not trying to go fast, just trying to drift the SLS GT3, and was a bit surprised to see I was two seconds quicker. Going by your times, I think I would have been 5 seconds off and that is more understandable given I was slowing a lot trying to drift the car pretty much everywhere including straights.

Before the final build was installed, Alex and I were typically setting pods up with no aids except ABS 1 and different cars on every pod, then only cars from manufacturers whose display cars were at the event. We were later advised when the final build was on to put driving line on and make all the pods feature the same 370Z on sports soft tyres with ABS 1 and no further aids on Silverstone International layout. Hope that helps. Should mention that I can't currently view your video from where I am.
I remember doing like half a lap with 370Z on the latest build, was surprised to see how much grip there was on it compared to the oldest build which was a handful, sport soft tyres sort of explains it and maybe SRF on potentially. The GT86 and KTM X-bow R were quite fun to drive, the latter is the car in video I linked to.

There was no competition as far as I am aware. Alex and I were just chasing our own ghosts on any given pod when we had a chance to sit and play. Most of our time was spent on pre-final build so we couldn't chop and change combos and cars due to the demo crashing, therefore I spent a lot of time in the SLS and Alex the GTR. And once updated we put on the 370Z combo which we had some time on.
I was just referring to your friendly competition about chasing your ghosts and also that KTM test driver also trying to stay with Alex’s ghost. I think if Arnaud did a fast lap for people to chase though, everyone will be like :crazy:. The crashing of old build was probably main reason why I didn’t go back to the game pods for much of day. I sort of changed it to another combo but then got told not to so pressed exit and it crashed. Thought I will leave it until near end of event as I heard from you, that new build will be installed soon and thought more likely to get access to them pods if most people have left.

Saidur, if the PDI guy gave you the info but didn't specifically say to not share it, I don't see a problem. It wouldn't be all that different from folks discovering a GT6 page on the GT website etc. if you were specifically asked not to divulge what you've heard about the trailer then don't, otherwise I don't anticipate an issue for you. The removal of the footage could have had multiple reasons, and at events like this you can always see there are more than just gaming considerations and not everything need signal high drama between PDI and manufacturers.

All the best
Maz
It was some other person talking (Might also be PDI guy but not Japanese) to Japanese PDI guy and talking to him that they cut some footage from it. I will probably mention it now as I don’t think it is major information; it was a last minute change so not surprised that more information has been leaked officially as they probably didn’t get the memo in time ;). Shame though that they already had more things to show but pulled it but also leaked it at same time. I guess it is positive still for them though, more hype / speculation will follow and more things still left to show visually to get people impressed about game.

It was Ferrari and Jaguar IIRC everyone so if there is new footage of them cars in any new trailer in coming months then that might have been the cut footage.

Last edited:
odd that they cut out a part featuring two already known cars,could be that they were on an unconfirmed track.Thanks for sharing anyway
Like I said I am only speculating on what cars it might be but given information that was leaked by Playstation Blog, I think it may have something to do with the tracks. It was quite short for an announcement trailer on a big event dedicated to GTs 15th Anniversary.

Maz, I apologize for calling you Sphynx. :P All I remembered was your avatar, and being tired, that name just plonked into place.

This is sounding excellent for what we can look forward to in release. Even with its flaws, GT5 feels very good, to the point I've ignored my PC sims even since Prologue's days. Going back to them and Forza 4 a couple of weekends ago reminded me of a few things I'd lost in the fog of time, a few things I hadn't, and it did make me hungry for improvements in the physics and handling, so this mini-review has me excited. Scaff and a long list of others have been insistent that PD improve the tire and suspension models, so it was a pleasant surprise to learn that they had worked with two big names in the industry on those very things. The Eurogamer first impressions are up there with GTR2, which really has me anxious to get my hands and DFGT on the demo.

Aargh... I WANT THAT DEMO!! :lol:

I made a huge prediction list about what we would learn by E3. I wasn't expecting to learn quite so much Wednesday, wasn't sure they'd have a demo, but with GT Academy, I thought it was likely. This was an amazing reveal, about as good as the PS4 unveil. I was delighted to see a number of my predictions come true, and a couple not, such as GT6 being in 1080p resolution again.
  • The GT6 Engine was extensively reworked and streamlined.
  • Graphics are improved, particularly shaders, and dynamic range was increased.
  • Paint seems to have more realistic effects, such as metallic and pearl finishes, and it's possible that the garage and dealerships will use post processing to make cars look close to photo-real.
  • Car modification will be in-depth, including a number of wheels and bodykit options. And we may well get that Livery Editor.
  • Online tools will include club and league creation, and this almost guarantees an Event Maker.
  • The Course Maker will return, and offer a number of new locations and track types, including a lovely city location. My prediction that you chose a route by connecting roads and bridges is likely true.
  • The physics will be very close to what can be found on PC racers like GTR. The tires and suspension will be well modeled, and bodyroll will return.
  • I predicted 1100 cars - we're getting 1200-plus!
  • I predicted more than 100 tracks, though we're only getting 70-plus at launch. But they intend to produce a track a month! Who saw that coming? This likely means that the team has been slaving away at producing them for the past two years, and I suspect this means all legacy tracks will be available in time, another big wish of mine.
One thing I neglected to mention because I had to run off to work Wed morning is that the functionality would be streamlined, meaning quicker loads somewhat like PS4 will offer, and a revamped file handling structure making large files work more fluidly, such as large garages and long lists of replays and photos. I think both will result in a substantial PS3 OS update.

I'm really surprised and delighted that PD could pull this off while still maintaining 1080p resolution at 60fps. And with increased dynamic lighting range! To me, this indicates that SONY engineers spent the past four years working on Cell/RSX programming techniques, and headed up by the father of the Playstation himself, Ken Kutaragi in a consulting role.

I can hardly wait for this game, and of course that demo in July. Did I mention how badly I want that demo? :lol:

Like Maz, I was lucky enough to be one of the first to play the GT6 demo, and my first impressions are very positive.

The handling seems to have been improved greatly over 5 (not that I ever had any serious criticisms of GT5 in this area). There seems to be a far greater feeling of weight transfer as you brake, turn in, and apply the throttle. The cars feel more responsive as a result, I drove the N24 GTR for some time (Lucas set a benchmark time, so I couldn't just leave it unchallenged...) and compared to how it feels in 5, the difference is very pronounced. This, combined with the heavier feedback of the Thrustmaster wheels that the rigs utilised, caused a spin or two at first!

Of course, I'm happy that Silverstone is now included in the game, but what excited me more were the fleeting details disclosed about the course maker. During his presentation, Kaz showed the aerial view of a village in Andalucia, explaining how a circuit could be created from the roads both within the village and the surrounding countryside. This will be such a welcome break from the rather anodyne circuits that could be created on 5, where scenery extended as far as an occasional tree, and no further.

Overall, I have a lot of positives to bring from my time playing the demo, and I think we should be all excited for the game's full release!

Cheers Alex 👍

Here are a couple of photos from the pre-final build, the one before the build that the media got their hands on:

eg5uyp.jpg

1128u2h.jpg

Notice the different background image on the "Arcade Mode" menu, same as that used in GT5 I believe? Just goes to show how many changes they were making from one demo build to another.

Also the car selection screen got re-jigged a bit for the later build as did the display colour for cars like the Countach.

I've just remembered something I completely neglected to mention, but the pre-final build that we spent most of the morning testing the pods on had a feature where during your first lap of a combo, in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen the game would give you suggestions like "X Accelerate" or "O Handbrake" showing the Sixaxis button to press. I don't recall the final build having this.

Also here is where Alex and I were anchored after Kazunori's presentation, the "GT Experience" section with GT 1 and 2 (on PS2) through GTs 3, 4, 5 and PSP on display, with a specially developed "Beyond Apex" app for iPad available on 3 iPads for people's enjoyment.

5ts3d0.jpg

Kazunori giving his presentation:

2l9ml8w.jpg

All the best
Maz

Like Maz, I was lucky enough to be one of the first to play the GT6 demo, and my first impressions are very positive.

The handling seems to have been improved greatly over 5 (not that I ever had any serious criticisms of GT5 in this area). There seems to be a far greater feeling of weight transfer as you brake, turn in, and apply the throttle. The cars feel more responsive as a result, I drove the N24 GTR for some time (Lucas set a benchmark time, so I couldn't just leave it unchallenged...) and compared to how it feels in 5, the difference is very pronounced. This, combined with the heavier feedback of the Thrustmaster wheels that the rigs utilised, caused a spin or two at first!

Of course, I'm happy that Silverstone is now included in the game, but what excited me more were the fleeting details disclosed about the course maker. During his presentation, Kaz showed the aerial view of a village in Andalucia, explaining how a circuit could be created from the roads both within the village and the surrounding countryside. This will be such a welcome break from the rather anodyne circuits that could be created on 5, where scenery extended as far as an occasional tree, and no further.

Overall, I have a lot of positives to bring from my time playing the demo, and I think we should be all excited for the game's full release!

GASP! Now I'm even more and more excited for GT6. I so can't wait to try the demo, I'm really looking forward to try out the new physics!

Awesome feedback Ingram! 👍 You also made me more excited for GT6. :D

It's from statments like Maz's and @GTP_Ingame's that I'm looking foward to E3 in June (if I'm mistaken correct me) and the Demo in July.
I'm so excited that from the first time ever I might buy the game when it hits the shelves.
The game itself looks better and with 1200 cars and 74 track layouts, with a redesigned phyics engine, tyre and suspension model, in the "underpowered" PS3 is remarkable. I saw a video posted by @Saidur_Ali in other thread with the 370Z GT Academy Version and I loved how the suspension worked.
Can't wait for more news

CVG echoes Eurogamer's impressions along with everyone else. Part of this was posted before, but I thought I'd paste in the highlights:

If you play using manual gears, you'll be struck by how much more notice you need to take of your revs when downshifting. Previously cars would accommodate a flurry of downshifts in a split second without even a hint of lock-up from the rear, but just two corners in we nearly binned the Nismo by clicking down to second while the revs were too high.

We wrestled with the wheel, bringing the whole graceless affair almost to a halt before regaining control, and trying to keep notice for the next turn. Manual drivers make up the minority of GT's users of course, so it's all the more impressive that this detail is present. Like the incredibly high-poly cockpit of the Audi rally legend, it's something for the hardcore to enjoy.

Both the aero and suspension physics engines have been rebuilt according to the real race data Polyphony's acquired since GT5, and that translates into much more realistic weight shifting mid-corner, and on the exit.

Dampers and packers strain to balance my weight as I throw the S1 through Maggots, Beckets and Chapel a little bit quicker than it'd like. ...With a wheel and pedals, GT6 demands as much from you as hardcore PC sims GTR 2 and rFactor. The sound mix is set to highlight lock-ups and tyre squeals, and that lets you react instinctively with your ears and your hands.

When asked by a table of reporters what he felt GT5 lacked the most, Yamauchi-San was clear and quick to answer: "responsiveness." Improved feedback from the car is hard to convey in presentations to hundreds of journos, but it's Gran Turismo 6's raison d'etre and that's a principle the Polyphony boss is clearly resolute about.
Yeah... the wait is going to be pretty hard...

• I predicted more than 100 tracks, though we're only getting 70-plus at launch. But they intend to produce a track a month! Who saw that coming? This likely means that the team has been slaving away at producing them for the past two years, and I suspect this means all legacy tracks will be available in time, another big wish of mine.

I'm surprised more people haven't latched on to this little tidbit more (even more so than the apparent planned DLC for cars). Now, either PD has a bunch of tracks currently being produced, and they'll all just happen to be finished roughly every month, in one month intervals, right after release, or they're intentionally holding some content back to later charge for it.

Considering how many people in the community frown upon other companies (not saying you, D) for apparently doing this - many times, with no evidence beyond their own suspicions - I do wonder how the fanbase might react to this sort of system being put in place for GT6. I know a few friends refused to buy Motegi based off it's existence in GT4.

I'm surprised more people haven't latched on to this little tidbit more (even more so than the apparent planned DLC for cars). Now, either PD has a bunch of tracks currently being produced, and they'll all just happen to be finished roughly every month, in one month intervals, right after release, or they're intentionally holding some content back to later charge for it.

Considering how many people in the community frown upon other companies (not saying you, D) for apparently doing this - many times, with no evidence beyond their own suspicions - I do wonder how the fanbase might react to this sort of system being put in place for GT6. I know a few friends refused to buy Motegi based off it's existence in GT4.

I'm more considered by the outright lack of new tracks.

Having played GT games since I was a young bloke, tracks like Motegi, Laguna Seca etc are old hat now - can't begin to fathom how many virtual laps I've done on Tsukuba. I was hoping Polyphony would go for a lot more tracks, with a lot more variety. Being that most estimates seem to be at three new tracks, to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

But, you've brought hope to my world. If we don't get a lot of new tracks, I might be able to fork over for some DLC tracks. Lucky me. Hope I get to pay for some fresh, new tracks. El Capitan, Apricot Hill, Sonoma, Midfield...

So far the response largely seems to be "They're a business, so they have to make money." Of course.

I wonder if they're trying to have players use Course Maker more? Now that it's allegedly better in the new game.

I know I would, and I'm really looking forward to it. Since that's there and improved, not sure why some others are making a big deal over a number of tracks. :sly:

I just hope its of a more consistent standard this time around, as it ranged from the excellent (Spa) to the average (15 TC's) to the 'did I just pay for that?' (Route X / Paints).

Back