Best car crash/chase scenes in a movie.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robin2
  • 129 comments
  • 28,553 views
Messages
2,660
i reckon blues brothers and blues brothers 2000 have the best car chase and crash scenes in any movie ive ever seen.

what do you guys reckon?
 
Well I think you've got to look at the chase scene in the Parisian tunnel in Ronin, that was pretty cool.
 
Don't forget the chase in Bullitt.
 
Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
Well I think you've got to look at the chase scene in the Parisian tunnel in Ronin, that was pretty cool.

Yes Ronin I watched that car chase many times. Although was it an audi A6 quattro? I cant remeber mind you the bad guys were driving horrible citroen Xantias (I think thats how its spellt).
 
Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN


Yes Ronin I watched that car chase many times. Although was it an audi A6 quattro? I cant remeber mind you the bad guys were driving horrible citroen Xantias (I think thats how its spellt).

Well, there are two principal scenes. One where the baddies are in Xantias, and the goodie is in an Audi S8 ("Something very fast. Something that can shove a little bit"). Then there's the second scene where the baddies are in a BMW 535(M) and the goodies are in a Peugeot 406. They're going the wrong way through a Parisian tunnel, and it's very smart.
 
I will have to watch it again, I havent seen the film for at least a year.

Oh yeah.

Taxi (the french film) has some good car chases. Also Taxi 2 has some good (but a bit far fetched) chase scenes involving a Mitsu Evo 5/6 and a tank.
 
Originally posted by Race Idiot


Taxi (the french film) has some good car chases. Also Taxi 2 has some good (but a bit far fetched) chase scenes involving a Mitsu Evo 5/6 and a tank.

Peugeot 406 vs M-B 190 EVO II: instant classic.

the 2nd one wasn't as good, but the beginning, on the rally stage, is gold. :D
 
Oh yeah the rally car was actually holding up the Taxi guy. He kept saying "Move that damn crate!"
 
in "The Bourne Identity" the chase with the mini. and you said they didn't go fast...
 
It figures you'd like the Blues Brothers chase/crash scene. It sucks. The only reason it has any impact at all is due to wretched excess. 500 retired Fury IV police cruisers piled on top of each other... :yawn: Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.

Are we talking car crash scenes, or car chase scenes? They're not necessarily the same thing.

Best car crash scene, hands down, is in the first 3 minutes of Mad Max. The cops are chasing the Toecutter across the countryside and through a little town, going hellaciously fast. A little van comes lumbering right across the road, gets missed by the baddie, but totally railgunned by one of the cops. There's an incredible, no-FX slowmotion of the impact, the demolished cop car rocketing off camera, and the van lifted about 3 feet in the air, spinning on its axis with doors and sheetmetal flying off, glass spraying everywhere. Awesome, real, low-tech cinema. In fact, the budget on the film was so tight that the van was the producer's personal vehicle.

For chase scenes, I have a bunch of other suggestions. Note that I'm only picking from movies that have an actual plot besides the chase itself.

The rest of Mad Max - a truly great movie. Too bad they dubbed Mel's voice out when he still spoke like he was Australian. Road Warrior was only marginally OK, and the less said about Thunderdome, the better.
Bullit - of course.
THX 1138 - Lucas's first movie. The hero and his friend break out and escape in two Chapparal Can Am cars, pursued by robot cops on cafe racing bikes. Shot in a parking structure and an empty highway tunnel. An incredible feeling of clean, cold speed.
The Italian Job - I never thought Minis were slow. Or weak. A true classic. So many stunts were pioneered in this movie.
The French Connection - also a classic. Not as good as the italian Job, though.
 
I'll have to agree with Neon on his choises. I loved the car chases in The Italian Job and the French Connection. I thought that the French Connection was a better movie though...

OA
 
I have to agree with above, Bullit's chase scene was king, and Ronin matched it.

But come on, we all know the best crash scene is at the end of Used Cars!
 
lets not all forget the gone in 60 seconds chase scene......yes bulllit was good :D
 
Bullit was great.

Also, Vanishing Point. The whole movie was a chase. It was a really wierd movie, but the chase and huge crash at the end was nice.

Also, Duel. That was weird too...

Gone in 60 secs(the new one, I'd like to see the old one(evidently there's a shot of inside a Mazda showroom from the 70s or something)was good.
 
i have the old gone in 60 secs on DVD
 
I REALLY HAVENT SEEN A MOVIE WITH A CAR CRASHING SCENE
 
Originally posted by kesen
I REALLY HAVENT SEEN A MOVIE WITH A CAR CRASHING SCENE
Or one with the Caps Lock off evidently.

My favourite - the chase scene in Basic Instinct, where Micheal Douglas is chasing the Lotus down the mountain side road - there's some great moments there were Douglas is on the wrong side of the road and another car appears on the crest - frightens the crap out of you.
 
The end of Fast and the Furious where Vin Diesel Flips the GTO(Is that what it was? not sure) over the Supra was cool too. If you watch some of the bond movies too, you can see some great chases there.
 
I know its not cars, but I thought the motorcycle chase sceen in Mission Impossible 2 was pretty up there on :eek: list!
 
Originally posted by Magic069
I know its not cars, but I thought the motorcycle chase sceen in Mission Impossible 2 was pretty up there on :eek: list!

Nah, that one was mince. Not least because he kept miraculously changing between dirt and road tyres...
 
Originally posted by GilesGuthrie


Nah, that one was mince. Not least because he kept miraculously changing between dirt and road tyres...

Well I am easily entertained then I guess. I didn't even notice that mistake. I'll have to check it out.
 
Originally posted by kesen
I REALLY HAVENT SEEN A MOVIE WITH A CAR CRASHING SCENE

SO YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FIGHT CLUB ??? :p


You guys are right about Bullitt, Taxi, and Ronin. :)

But PLEASE check out "Who am I?" with Jackie Chan. It has some really cool Mitsubishi EVO Action :thumbsup:
 
I'll toss in a vote for the original "Gone in 60 seconds", the new "Gone in 60 seconds" and "Ronin"

As for "Who am I?" it did have some invigorating scenes with the Mistubishi. It also has one of the best martial arts fights I've seen. The one atop the building with Chan and the two bad guys.

AO
 
The Italian Job
Ronin
origional Gone in 60 Seconds
Bullitt
Two Lane Balcktop
 
i'd possibly consider Beverly Hills Cop (cigarette truck), or The Chase (cadavor truck) as "possibilities"
 
Originally posted by Matrixhasu77
The end of Fast and the Furious where Vin Diesel Flips the GTO(Is that what it was? not sure) over the Supra was cool too. If you watch some of the bond movies too, you can see some great chases there.

It's a Charger..
 
Back