KY Confirms GT6 In Development Already

• Thread starter Robin
  • 524 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I did search the forum but didn't find any threads. Its not in the news section either. KY has talked about GT6 in the past but not confirmed they are already working on it. I wonder how it will affect what goes in GT5 DLC and whats saved for the next one.

From an IGN interview at SEMA 2011 in Las Vegas.

IGN: How do you decide what goes into GT5 DLC and what goes into the next full game?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Of course we're working on GT6 already and I think what really will be the separating factor is something that we can't update through a DLC is something that obviously has to be saved for GT6. Things that we can provide through DLC we will, so that's really the market difference.

Full Interview - http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212165p1.html

Unfortunately this is PD.....so the news that they are working on GT6 really doesn't mean anything.....it could be ready next year or 5 years from now.

Personally I hope the development is considerably shorter than GT5 (no reason why it wouldn't be as they have most of their assets set up for that) and that it is a PS3 title.

That it is in development doesn't mean that here is yet even a line of code for it. I imagine it being in some stage of early design where they try to figure out what features they want for it and how to organise the project. I hope it will be better produced than the fifth GT that I think shows some signs of problems during production.

Funny how you would lead on a news title about DLC but not the most important part of that whole interview which is the next iteration of the series... Oh well! Thanks for the heads up.
I don't consider that to be the most important part of the interview, as it's not really a revelation. Kazunori first announced Gran Turismo 6's development more than a year ago.

listen.

Kaz in the interview sounds very confident about gt6. most likely it will be released sometime next year or two. one thing that PD needs to cut down on (that cost a lot of time in developing gt5) IS NOT TO TEND TO THE GT[#] PROLOGUES. Just release gt6 in am small demo with a few cars and a few tracks as a sampling. i mean, was spec 2 really necessary in GT5P?

listen.

Kaz in the interview sounds very confident about gt6. most likely it will be released sometime next year or two. one thing that PD needs to cut down on (that cost a lot of time in developing gt5) IS NOT TO TEND TO THE GT[#] PROLOGUES. Just release gt6 in am small demo with a few cars and a few tracks as a sampling. i mean, was spec 2 really necessary in GT5P?
If you're waiting for 6 years, any prologues or updates are very welcome.

If we really think about this though, GT6 has essentially been in development for 6-7 years now. Everything new in GT5 will certainly be carried over to GT6. It's the stuff carried over from GT3-4 that's slowly being replaced.

If you're waiting for 6 years, any prologues or updates are very welcome.

If we really think about this though, GT6 has essentially been in development for 6-7 years now. Everything new in GT5 will certainly be carried over to GT6. It's the stuff carried over from GT3-4 that's slowly being replaced.
because gt5p was tended to so much that it delayed the time for gt5 yo release even more. [100th post!]

Any work on GT5P should have been work on GT5 by default. Just about every problem that GT5 has should have been dealt with in GT5P too.

PD should have come to GTP, or their own website, and created/requested the feedback section themselves so that people could find every little thing they didn't like about GT5P, notify PD about it, and then let them sift through the opinions to perfect the game.

Can you guys shut up with the "5 more years" comments? GT6 is gonna be released on the PS3 so all Kaz has to do is make a lot of tracks and the newest cars.

PD should have come to GTP, or their own website, and created/requested the feedback section themselves so that people could find every little thing they didn't like about GT5P, notify PD about it, and then let them sift through the opinions to perfect the game.

This is what I wish PD would do more often. And not just in terms of what we don't like. But in terms of what we'd like to see added. Cars and tracks, for example. I hate to think they have to scan entire forums just to find out what's on our minds. Just ask us, PD! This isn't some 8th grade romance, here. We don't need a middle man :)

It was more than obvious after gt5 came out, that some sort of planning for a successor has started. I'm sure it will be so much different than what we have now. It seems to me, Kaz over thinks things, or rather, gets caught up in way too many ideas.

Can you guys shut up with the "5 more years" comments? GT6 is gonna be released on the PS3 so all Kaz has to do is make a lot of tracks and the newest cars.
This may not be true, and I'm thinking probably isn't true. The PS3 has been pushed pretty hard, trying to provide close to photo-real graphics at 1080p with lots of particle effects, day to night transition, as well as 3D built into the engine, and it has hurt the particle effect and shader rendering. GT6 might be a release game for the PS4. And GT5 can certainly be updated with new content and tweaked until GT6 comes along. It's already an outstanding game, some graphic issues and Standard car ugliness aside.

This is what I wish PD would do more often. And not just in terms of what we don't like. But in terms of what we'd like to see added. Cars and tracks, for example.
I sort of agree. Kaz and the team can't do everything, or the game would be in production for several years to a decade, so they have to pick and choose things. But at the same time, I don't want GT6 to be a game defined by an online "committee." If it was up to everyone here, I have a feeling that GT5 would be a lot like Forza, supercar heavy. And we already have Forza for that.

But I doubt it's going to be anything more than testing the mood of the class here on things like more simulation, more race orientation, a livery editor, better course maker, realistic damage, some other things, and then for the most part Kaz will make the game he wants. And despite all the weirdness, GT5 is still the best racer in my book. I have high hopes for GT6.

Eh who said gt6 will be on ps3? that Is a stupid idea. if they do that it means they will stop supporting gt5 with any genuine viguour and it means we will just get another polished version of gt5 in gt6 which is what gt5 should have been anyway. If they are going to do release another gt game on ps3 they may as well just update gt5.

Kaz has been bit by the dlc money bug anyway so if they release only 5 dlcs for gt5 that's already the cost of what gt6 will bring them covered. In Australia the dlc is 20 bux and our dollar is the same or more valuable then USA. so it means if I buy the dlc every two months I would have spent about 600 dollars on gt5 just on updating gt5 by the time gt6 is out if it takes 4 to 5 years

plus factor in cost of gt5 itself and that's almost a grand or what 10 FULL grand turismo games would cost if gt5 stayed dlc free.

I'd be interested to see how many people prefer gt6 to be on ps3 sooner or wait longer for ps4 gt6 while gt5 gets updates in the meantime. cost I can tell you now if gt6 is for ps3 gt5 will be boycotted by the Dev team

Last edited:
It should not be long because they already got a graphics engine established that should be good for next gen with some tweeks..

I think we all knew he was working on GT6 before Kaz did himself.

Off-topic: I always chuckle when people use Kaz's initials in posts.

Eh who said gt6 will be on ps3? that Is a stupid idea. if they do that it means they will stop supporting gt5 with any genuine viguour and it means we will just get another polished version of gt5 in gt6 which is what gt5 should have been anyway. If they are going to do release another gt game on ps3 they may as well just update gt5.
This is working under the assumption that PD will actually turn GT5 into the game it should have been through updates alone, and that it wouldn't be better to just start from scratch and try again.

https://www.gtplanet.net/yamauchi-hints-at-rewind-feature-in-gt5/

Gran Turismo 6 had begun to be planned all the way back in 2009. I'm sure it's initial development stages were started the moment GT5 went out the door because PD isn't about to sit around and do nothing for a year when they're finally earning money from the big title.

Anyways, here's the quote from the article I posted above that I'd like everyone to understand well and clear.

- Gran Turismo 6 will be coming, but it won’t take nearly as long to develop. In Yamauchi’s words: “GT5 represents a whole new operating system. GT6 is just new apps that run on the GT5 system.”

GT5 was a blank slate. That's why it took so long. Gran Turismo 6 will not be another blank-slate process, even if they go to the PS4, because as Yamauchi-san said in another previous interview:

“The level of precision we’ve achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation.”

Gran Turismo's current standing has it pretty well future-proofed to make sure the next 3-4 releases come at a consistent pace, so the game will not take as long to release as GT5 did.

In the event that PD DOES twiddle their thumbs and take as long as they did on a future title... it might be another nail in the coffin.

Now can we please put all of the "GT6 will come in 5+ years on the PS5" and "Same old Polyphony" statements into the 'joke' bin in the future?

Snaeper
https://www.gtplanet.net/yamauchi-hints-at-rewind-feature-in-gt5/

Gran Turismo 6 had begun to be planned all the way back in 2009. I'm sure it's initial development stages were started the moment GT5 went out the door

Um, so continuing to work on GT5 at present whilst making GT6.
Why can't they just concentrate on one project at a time.

Hope vita doesn't get embroiled in this too.
PD seem to like stretching resources.

Back