• ModNation Racers •

Side Note: I hope GT5's photomode is setup like this where you just save it directly to the HDD instead of uploading it.

That appears to be the norm now for games with screen capture options, like LittleBigPlanet. I just wish they all supported the maximum resolution of each game, like the screen capture option in PlayStation Home. That said, I'm confident that GT5 will allow for screen grabs at 1920x1080.

That appears to be the norm now for games with screen capture options, like LittleBigPlanet
I am guessing that he is thinking of games like PGR and Forza that make you upload them to their Web site and then download them via PC.

From what I have seen the difference between games that make you upload and games that save to the HDD have been system related.

I got this game tonight, it's stupidly addictive! I've made one rocky mountain track that needs finishing, but I might just make something more interesting instead. I can't believe how easy it all is to use!

Microsoft doesn't allow saving to HDD and exporting via USB. That's why many multi-platform titles only offer web upload - with awful compression.

uhh Loading .... loading..

I was thinking I know this isn't a real sim racer, but due to the popularity and the ability to design tracks etc. Can we start maybe a racing series?

Well since there is a 'Pure race' option (Where you can race without all the weapons and track gameplay props (other than scenery), I just wish there was a "No drift" option, (because drifting is about 3x faster than regularly driving) so The races can be a clean, fare, race. (Although I guess you can just ask all the people in the game to go to the settings for their kart, and adjust the handling to -2 drift)

I would certainly be in (If it would run like ^ that)

Ive uploaded my first track to the online collection its a pretty nice re-creation of Tsukuba. Small but nice track.

I will be checking that out, for sure.

Sorry Delphic for not getting back to you but can you believe it ive only today got a chance to play now and not for long either.

No worries. I just picked it up today, and spent most of the day unlocking things.

;)

Hopefully I will get some more time tommorow and update my track. Also I may start to do some more of the GT tracks too, I was also going to create the topgear track but it's a figure of eight so might not be wholy true to the layout.

Hopefully I will get some more time tommorow and update my track. Also I may start to do some more of the GT tracks too, I was also going to create the topgear track but it's a figure of eight so might not be wholy true to the layout.

I have already seen a couple top gear tracks if you are feeling lazy and don't want to make it, I DL'd one but haven't tested it out yet.

Last edited:
I bought the psp version and I am not impressed at all. Driving/drifting is not as good as Mario K. It does't feel as tight.

Hmmm...

OK then, here is my initial pit report. It was going to be a track report, but getting a mulitplayer game is harder than pulling off a 100,000 point drift. The report is not all bad though..

Upon the initial boot of the game, I was annoyed at the length of time it took to install. It wouldn't of been so bad if that was reflected in faster game load times, but it is not - this game takes an eon to load up!

It is safe to say that I love this game, I really love this game. It is everything that I thought it would be, and much more besides. The presentation is slick and very funny in places, with nice little touches that put a smile on your face - the 'car-jacking ad' was hilarious! :lol:

As already mentioned, it is nigh on impossible to find an XP game. I would have put it down to the early adopter factor, but I think there is more to it than that, basically, the servers are crap!

Besides, that, almost every player I met in the Modspot had much higher rankings than me. Looking at the profiles of other MNRs show that some had raced thousands of races and had hundreds of thousands of XP. HOW!? I was lucky to scrape together sixty or seventy XP points in nearly eight hours of (attempted) racing! Obviously somebody somewhere is getting a race, unfortunately, it was not me!

It is fair to say that my only experiences of multiplayer racing last night, was drifting around the Modspot venue with other racers, and bunny-hopping onto the central plinth. It was fun for a while, but it started to grate, when I was even getting kicked from there! There is a silver lining to that dark cloud though, as I can now drift like a superstar, if only I could put those new found skills to use!

THERE IS ONE BUG THAT SONY NEED TO FIX ASAP! I had to shout that one out, because it is a biggie, in fact it is glaringly big! I think I raced three or four games online against human competition last night, and during one, I battled to the front of the pack, but was pipped to the post by another racer.

Upon finishing the race, I was expecting the XP and an increase in rank, but was greeted with a message stating that I was being disconnected from the server! I did not gain any of the rewards for finishing the race, and I was unceremoniously dumped back to the Modspot, ever so slightly miffed.

Now, I don't know how Sony handle the XP races, whether they are hosted centrally or hosted by fellow racers, but they need to nail this problem very quickly - IF I FINISH A RACE, I EXPECT THE REWARDS FOR FINISHING THE RACE! There are no ifs or buts about this, and Sony need to address the problem immediately!

Luckily though, MNR has depth. I found that the customisation options are some of the most thorough, and well thought out I have seen in any game to date. Due to the lack of online action, I consigned myself to learning some of the skills needed to create a killer race track.

Boy, oh boy, did I love that! I was literally burning away the midnight petroleum ;) in my efforts to create an uber race. There are comprehensive tutorials that help you get the best out of the many tools that are available, and I have to say that I would be almost content with just creating tracks, almost...

So in conclusion, I feel that this game is worthy of a purchase. It has a few problems that need to be ironed out, but all in all it is a first class release. 👍

Besides, that, almost every player I met in the Modspot had much higher rankings than me. Looking at the profiles of other MNRs show that some had raced thousands of races and had hundreds of thousands of XP. HOW!?

Probably has to do with the demo.

My friend bought the game a few days before myself, and he had never played the demo. Whereas, I have played the demo a couple hundred times, raced at least 40 times, and built no less than 20 tracks.

When he brought the game over, he noticed I had quite a bit more unlocked in the full game. This seems to be due to all the time I logged in the demo. The XP points might be similar.

;)

I've got an update on the bug I mentioned earlier where you got disconnected and didn't receive any rewards. Well this time, it worked in my favour, twice!

First time it happened, I was in an eight-player race, and I finished last. Come the end of the race though, everyone else got kicked, and I was awarded the win, and the bonus XP.

The second time happened just five minutes ago. I was in an XP series competition, and at the end of the very first race, I again came last, and everyone else got kicked, and I was awarded first place, but this time the series competition continued!

For the next four races I was alone, and free to do what I pleased, so I duly whored the jumps, and maxed out on the speed. By the end of the series, I had jumped from a lowly level seven up to level eleven, and half way onto level twelve, as well as gaining three new trophies. Talk about money for nothing!

Sony need to get a grip of this bug, because it is infuriating when you are on the losing end of it, whilst unfairly boosting other racers XP. 👍

When he brought the game over, he noticed I had quite a bit more unlocked in the full game. This seems to be due to all the time I logged in the demo. The XP points might be similar.

Ah right, I didn't know that you could carry over you save from the demo... 👍

Those having trouble finding XP races, I have seen on the PlayStation Blog and forums that the game is region-locked, so you are only seeing a limited view of people playing.

Those having trouble finding XP races, I have seen on the PlayStation Blog and forums that the game is region-locked, so you are only seeing a limited view of people playing.

Are you sure? I was racing with a guy from Saudi Arabia earlier on. I live in the UK.

Are you sure? I was racing with a guy from Saudi Arabia earlier on. I live in the UK.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/25/modnation-racers-for-ps3-launched-and-unwrapped/

Cirran | May 25th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Started playing this game and it WAS amazing. Played a bit more then went to join my friends online, found a region lock and the game was ruined. Way to ruin a possibly great game. .-. any chance on taking the lock off?

Kyle Zundel | May 25th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Hey Cirran. You get the best online performance when you race against other players in your same region. This was important to us, to provide as good a race experience as possible. This is the way it will be but there is a possibility we could look into this for the future if that’s what the community wants.

Kyle Zundel is the Producer for MNR. Of course, how their regions are determined isn't explained.

The loading times are starting to get my goat a little. Particularly the loading screens at the very start of the game.

The game loads up, you are forced to watch the developers 'ego screens', after which you are presented with the 'press start' screen, only for the game to load again, before you get to the Modspot. Why?

It should be common knowledge amongst developers that gamers do not like being forced to watch pointless animations!

Kyle Zundel is the Producer for MNR. Of course, how their regions are determined isn't explained.

Hmmm... What a bugger that is! The uptake in my region must be very poor then, because I only see five or six people in the Modspot at anyone time.

I can understand region locking a game like GT5 or say MW2, but MNR? It is a good game, but I would not of thought that it would of been flying off the shelves in such a way that it would of needed region-locking to ensure the quality of the game!

You can also transfer all your characters/karts/tracks, created in the demo, over to the full game.

I played the demo on a different nick, though I didn't play that much of it anyhow, just enough to see whether the game was good enough or not, so I don't have anything to transfer! :indiff: 👍

The loading times are starting to get my goat a little. Particularly the loading screens at the very start of the game.

The game loads up, you are forced to watch the developers 'ego screens', after which you are presented with the 'press start' screen, only for the game to load again, before you get to the Modspot. Why?

It has to do with how the game was created. Essentially, they used the same tools you are using when creating your own mods/karts/tracks (to a degree). Therefore, every time you go to a new area, Modspot, editing room, etc... the game is loading all the individual parts/skins/paint/animations, etc...

It should be common knowledge amongst developers that gamers do not like being forced to watch pointless animations!

It is common knowledge, and they have said repeatedly they are working on some kind of patch that in theory should speed up the process. However, they have also said due to the amount of information needed to load, it may not be possible to significantly increase the speed of the load times.

I can understand region locking a game like GT5 or say MW2, but MNR? It is a good game, but I would not of thought that it would of been flying off the shelves in such a way that it would of needed region-locking to ensure the quality of the game!

MNR is popular with a much larger chunk of the market. It is flying off the shelves faster than they envisioned. Not sure region-locking is necessary, but if it speeds up the game/frame rate, it's fine with me.

I played the demo on a different nick, though I didn't play that much of it anyhow, just enough to see whether the game was good enough or not, so I don't have anything to transfer! :indiff: 👍

Too bad. I was surprised how much was unlocked just from playing the demo. I wish more games allowed transfer between demo/full game.

;)

Too bad. I was surprised how much was unlocked just from playing the demo. I wish more games allowed transfer between demo/full game.
The best I have seen of this was Patapon. The demo was a specially designed level that gave you a weapon not found in the main game. The demo save file was saved as your main game save so your game loaded up from it.

This kind of thing is what developers should do if they want demos to be a huge motivating factor for purchases.

Have the same problem as others. Nobody is online to race against.

Does the region lock also apply to playing with friends?

I don't have that much of a problem with loading times and seeing as the game is literaly building the tracks on the fly when loading plus all the mods and karts with all the options and differences then I'm ok with loading. I'm going to have long day of it tommorow.

Well, I was going to buy this until I read you guys talking about the region lock online. If I'm in Japan, where it technically hasn't been released yet, it seems like there's a high probability of there being no one at all to play with.

I mean, it's a good game and all, but without online multiplayer I find my enthusiasm dwindling. Kart games are all about the multiplayer.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't care less about the region lock issue. I'll likely only be playing with a few local friends, and the majority of my time is going to be spent creating characters/karts/tracks. Then again, I've never been a big online multiplayer kind of guy.

I'm absolutely loving the game. Other than the load tines, I really can't complain.

;)

I know I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't care less about the region lock issue. I'll likely only be playing with a few local friends, and the majority of my time is going to be spent creating characters/karts/tracks. Then again, I've never been a big online multiplayer kind of guy.

I'm absolutely loving the game. Other than the load tines, I really can't complain.

;)

Same here, I am not too fussed about playing online at the moment so completing the offline challenges 100% is my focus then I will spend allot of time creating tracks and having fun, for multiplayer kicks we have a ga,es night every week or two weeks and sit around and eat drink play games so offline 4 player split screen is more important to me.

I'm having a lot more fun screwing around in modspot and making things than actually playing the game. It's the first game I've played that may have more 'replay value' than 'play value'. Modspot's so fun, I don't know why they didn't expand in a battle mode.

I've gotten pretty good with the kart creator too. check out my calsonic skyline. Too bad the kart models don't seem to be quite at full detail during races.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/25/modnation-racers-for-ps3-launched-and-unwrapped/

Cirran | May 25th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Started playing this game and it WAS amazing. Played a bit more then went to join my friends online, found a region lock and the game was ruined. Way to ruin a possibly great game. .-. any chance on taking the lock off?

Kyle Zundel | May 25th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Hey Cirran. You get the best online performance when you race against other players in your same region. This was important to us, to provide as good a race experience as possible. This is the way it will be but there is a possibility we could look into this for the future if that’s what the community wants.

I guess I can see where he may be coming from, considering how some game's get unfairly criticized for online lag when the problem is most often due to the connection of the various players. Although limiting it to just a local region only helps prevent lag from multiple regional server traffic. If someone has a lousy internet connection, even playing on a local server isn't going to help.

The best of both world's would be if all online games let you chose who you want to play online with.

So for instance, an option to only look for players within your city, or state, or country, or the world.

MotorStorm used to have additional server lobbies setup for international online play. Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to implement something like this.

In fact, I would love it if when in an online game lobby, it showed you the connection speed of the players in the lobby, then you could invite the ones with higher connection speeds to insure a lag free experience.

Of course, then everyone with a poor internet connection would cry fowl, as they may have a hard time finding anyone willing to play with them online.

Region lock? Haha... thanks for the heads up, no $ from me then. 👍
Fail.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the vast majority of online games are "region locked" in that the online lobbies are limited to a specific region... like MNR apparently.

I think I am going to stick to solo play for now. Fair do's it is superb, but it is not the reason I brought the game. I've given up attempting to try and race online because it is so badly broken. 👎

Out of the four XP series I raced today, three of them resulted in the same predicament that I have previously outlined, and the forth crashed my PS3 with a treble beep, for the second time in a row. :ouch: That is not including the hours I whiled away wishing and hoping for a game to start...

I've heard mention of a rumour flying around the Modspot. In the darkest recesses they whisper, of a fabled kart racer where you can race online against twelve, yes TWELVE other racers. Is it a legend? Perhaps a fantasy? It certainly isn't reality! :grumpy:

I really do not understand what the problem is with PS3 games and online functionality. Either 'they' haven't got a clue what they are doing, or someone somewhere doesn't know when to quit... It is a joke, it honestly is. Three years down the line, and I'm still buying, and they are still making, games with broken online functionality. How is this still possible!? :rolleyes:

Delphic Reason
It has to do with how the game was created. Essentially, they used the same tools you are using when creating your own mods/karts/tracks (to a degree). Therefore, every time you go to a new area, Modspot, editing room, etc... the game is loading all the individual parts/skins/paint/animations, etc...

That sounds pretty cool on paper, and I'm sure they eulogised the concept when they first made the pitch for the game, but with hindsight, it is a lousy way of doing things.

Delphic Reason
However, they have also said due to the amount of information needed to load, it may not be possible to significantly increase the speed of the load times.

Well, they have dropped a dogs dangly thing then haven't they? I am in complete amazement that nobody actually noticed this GLARING problem during the development of the game...

Delphic Reason
MNR is popular with a much larger chunk of the market. It is flying off the shelves faster than they envisioned. Not sure region-locking is necessary, but if it speeds up the game/frame rate, it's fine with me.

Who, where, when? I know they are, but these problems are not helping at all. I'd imagine they are turning off as many people as are adopting!

I'm going to have long day of it tommorow.

Trust me you will! :sly:

OK, rant over. :rolleyes:

Back