1.04 update - Physics changes - Your impressions?

One oddity I saw after the update is the GT-R R35 TC, the day before the change it was driving OK on race hards, but it was suddenly much worse after the update - a lot more understeer and noticeably less overall grip.

All the other cars seemed about the same, did a bunch of laps with everything from the C7 Corvette and Boss 302 to the HSV-010 race cars and did fine, but the R35 TC was hot garbage seemingly out of nowhere.

:confused:

I think PD should start consulting manufacturers like the ones they were working with when developing the game (If they stopped doing so) and maybe even consult some other Sim makers.
They could also consult physicist's who may know about real life car physics, even through the wheel I can tell PD need help.

I noticed that some 4WD cars have been converted to RWD after 1.04. The GTR Black edition is a good example - it spins the rear tires and acts tail-happy like a ZR-1 now, as if there's almost no torque whatsoever being applied to the front tires.

This user also pointed out that license test S-5 is now impossible to complete because of the altered handling of the 4WD Veyron.

VBR
Like I said, even with a few tiny errors I was 5 seconds faster after the update. My absolute best time before it without those kinds of errors was 5 seconds slower. The car is obviously faster as some corners I was a gear up than per usual.
Lines up with limited testing I've done yesterday. Was testing a M3 GT2 on La Sarthe to see if the new update has changed the way the car used to just spin when I was going over minor curbs in chicanes on the Mulsanne straight. Couldn't replicate the issue (rear tires were much warmer than fronts, inducing some understeer in those corners), yet I shaved ~2 seconds off my lap time from a couple of days ago.

And yes, I'm fairly consistent, and can run the Ring within several tenth of my best any day.

I'm not sure I don't like the update (I only ran it in one car), but la Sarthe seemed q bit more lively in terms of track smoothness, which seems like a (tiny) step in the right direction.

(Un)Holy (colorless)Smoke!

Should I write this text also on inverse colors to make sure at I'm not rasist to white color what is only now on background.

My post of "blonde" drivers wasn't directed to anyone, if someone picks him self from there I'm feeling sad.

World is really changing, blond jokes are forbidden, black jokes are too, is las Vegas demolished all Black Jack machines, or just renamed them colorless metrojacks?

Please help me, I'm feeling at people are pushing me, some kind harassment done by several people, maybe I'll have to go to doctor and ask some pain relief drops..

Lol, maybe we can.. oh no we can't..

Moderator/Staff: please put few week ban to me, this is not ending well of not putting ban to me.

VBR
No, it's not what I think, it's what I done. I did 2 laps in the KTM after the 1.04 update & both of them were within 1 second of each other. Same story before the update. Just because some folk are inconsistent on The Ring shouldn't be a reason to assume everyone else is. Like I said, even with a few tiny errors I was 5 seconds faster after the update. My absolute best time before it without those kinds of errors was 5 seconds slower. The car is obviously faster as some corners I was a gear up than per usual.

But hey, don't read my posts thoroughly, or test it for yourself. Just carry on making knee jerk reaction comments, as it's very helpful. ;)

If they fixed brake bias (and according to other users it seems to be true) then this can have a substantial impact on your lap times and especially on Nurburgring where precise trajectory and correctly taken apexes are paramount.

Should I write this text also on inverse colors to make sure at I'm not rasist to white color what is only now on background.

My post of "blonde" drivers wasn't directed to anyone, if someone picks him self from there I'm feeling sad.

World is really changing, blond jokes are forbidden, black jokes are too, is las Vegas demolished all Black Jack machines, or just renamed them colorless metrojacks?

Please help me, I'm feeling at people are pushing me, some kind harassment done by several people, maybe I'll have to go to doctor and ask some pain relief drops..

Moderator/Staff: please put few week ban to me, this is not ending well of not putting ban to me.
You misspelled "rasist". I take your version of it as mocking Rastafarians and am therefore reporting you not only to Jordan but to Kaz himself....lol.

I don't have the experience in GT6 some of you may have without ABS quite yet, but I re-tried the XBow Seasonal without ABS, standard brakes, and it seemed much more manageable and I was able to run an 8/7 BB with little drama and using much of the pedal travel.

YZF
If they fixed brake bias (and according to other users it seems to be true) then this can have a substantial impact on your lap times and especially on Nurburgring where precise trajectory and correctly taken apexes are paramount.
Except that trail braking doesn't raise cornering speeds by several MPHs. But by all means keep grasping at straws.

Well, I just noticed a change and I got really really pissed.
Now we can set ABS to 0 and your tires won't lock anymore, even using comfort tires.
You can full brake at 150km/h and probably even more and your tires will lock only when you reach about 60~~80 km/h.
I have tested only 2 cars until now.

Thank baby Jesus! This is how it should be. Getting hard on the brakes at speed should NOT lock brakes/tires right away. It should be at lower speeds when the strength of the brakes overcomes the grip of the tire to the road.

It was so freaking annoying having to only apply 50% brake pressure at 100mph to prevent lock up.

EDIT: just noticed people reporting camber is still broken... Jesus 🤬 PD! :grumpy:

Last edited:
I think PD should start consulting manufacturers like the ones they were working with when developing the game (If they stopped doing so) and maybe even consult some other Sim makers.
They could also consult physicist's who may know about real life car physics, even through the wheel I can tell PD need help.

Keep in mind, this is a PS3 and not a PC. Are there ANY other sims with this level of sophistication on a PS3? Physics is notoriously costly. I think it's pretty damn good given the limitations, not the least of which is that you can't feel anything through your body like in real life.

A PS3 cannot do this -> http://www.gizmag.com/lexus-unveils-driving-simulator/16630/

Except that trail braking doesn't raise cornering speeds by several MPHs. But by all means keep grasping at straws.

'cornering speed by several mphs' seems very fishy to me and way too subjective. Placebo effect, nothing else.

I have just tested lap times again and they are the same. So no, nothing (fundamental) has changed.

But if you want to believe, I won't bother stopping you

I'm blond... And man, I have all sorts of blond moments... And I have the perfect excuse for doing unexplainably stupid things...

People who are easily offended are often identified as having self confidence issues. Sometimes an edgy statement or joke is a good way to figure out who they are... Its a legitimate business tactic... That you won't learn in school...

Oh, and I personally like all people from Finland. They are a unique people that have an odd ability to be very calm yet incredibly driven and determined - some might think that was racist...

Anyway, what's this I'm reading about 4 wheel drives broken? Has anyone dug into this, is it just certain cars or all?

It's really tough to get consensus... The people complaining about handling and the people saying its better are about even...?

I'm blond... And man, I have all sorts of blond moments... And I have the perfect excuse for doing unexplainably stupid things...

People who are easily offended are often identified as having self confidence issues. Sometimes an edgy statement or joke is a good way to figure out who they are... Its a legitimate business tactic... That you won't learn in school...

Oh, and I personally like all people from Finland. They are a unique people that have an odd ability to be very calm yet incredibly driven and determined - some might think that was racist...

Anyway, what's this I'm reading about 4 wheel drives broken? Has anyone dug into this, is it just certain cars or all?

It's really tough to get consensus... The people complaining about handling and the people saying its better are about even...?
Consensus? What's that? You'll never get consensus on anything GT related and most of the physics feedback you get is anecdotal at best, knee jerk-seat of the pants at worst. When I see someone like @dsgerbc commenting on physics changes I take notice because I know he has a very high skill level and isn't prone to hyperbole. When someone mentions testing and laptimes that carries more weight than, "oh my god the physics suck now"....lol

This 1.04 update gets a big thumbs up from me, Physics have been enhanced - overall improvements heading in the right direction -
Power needs to be fed carefully, steering inputs have to be adjusted accordingly - alot more detail being provided by the physics engine and in-turn the driving sensation has been increased! :) Enjoy!!

My Settings- Grip level Real - no TC - abs1 - power steering on - FFB 7

We Americans are very sensitive to matters that we think our society wants us to be sensitive to. We also try to blow everything out of proportion, especially if it doesn't directly affect/concern us.
'murica.

In the UK, we spell blonde with an 'e'.

0 ABS is excellent now.

My maxed R32 track weapon still drives like a 4wd car. No issues.

It's hard to trust people on here when they say the physics have changed. Especially when they provide little evidence, vague explanations, no lap times, or lap times from courses like the Nurburgring. The big course lap times make me laugh the most. It's hard enough to duplicate laps on Tsukuba then people claim how they can consistently run lap times on green hell. Yes some people can, they are out there. But do you guys really understand how much a lap time can be affected by slightly messing up one corner?

When using lap times to prove physics testing a person should use the smallest course they are comfortable with. Using big courses only makes people wonder how good of a driver you are. For example did you know that only little mistakes can add up fast? I like to quote a good book of mine from Skip Barber's Racing School " Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving." "A series of little mistakes add up to big ones." Did you guys know being off your racing line and missing a clipping point/apex by as little as 12 inches before a decent straight can add significant amounts of time. We are talking 2 or 3 tenths. And that's just by 12 inches on one corner. Realize that if you do this on a small track with only 10 corners that can add up to 2 seconds by the end of a lap. Then I hear people saying they can run nurb consistently all day. Please give me a break, i need to catch my breathe. And if you can you should either be in gt academy or racing a car in real life.

VBR
To me the physics feel a lot worse after the update. After doing well over 700 miles in my KTM on Nurburgring 24 Hour, & knowing the car intimately, I turned a few laps after updating to 1.04. Straight out the box on the first lap I'm 5 seconds faster, even making errors & hitting walls. SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE! Some corners I was a gear up than usual, the gear ratios have not changed, but the car has more grip & is faster. I notice the speed I can carry through the Karousel is several miles per hour higher than per usual. It also feels a lot more tamer, like the physics have been dumbed down somewhat, & it feels like a different car that's much easier to drive.

All I know is this; I didn't feel the same buzz when driving, it felt a bit dull to be honest, & I didn't enjoy it.

:(

Were you using a DS3 or a wheel? Seems to me using a DS3 feels easier for some reason and when I switched back to my wheel the car was much harder to drive and felt as if the physics were unchained or something I had to be very careful with steering and cautious of undulations in the road, especially at Daytona Road had no issues with the DS3 but with the G25 felt the back end wanting to react to each and every bump, car feeling much heavier but fun none the less. I want to know if it's not just me.

BWX
It had what I called "bicycle tires" on it. 175/70 R 13

One time I got it going full speed (about 92 MPH), and slammed on the brakes to see what would happen. It just locked both front wheels at full speed and went in a straight line painting huge "11's" down the dry road.

I could do it at will all the time. Scared the crap out of my g/f at the time.

I think it has a lot to do with how much grip the tires have, or how wide they are, in relation to the weight of the car, and the power of the front brakes in relation to the rear brakes..

Before ABS, TCS, etc., we learned how to actually drive a car. You won't instantly die if you slam on the brakes at full speed in a non-ABS car, if you know how to drive.

Its not exactly true saying such narrow tyres give you minimal grip, my Mexico had 5.5j rims with 185 tyres and cornered like it was on tracks, one of the best handling cars I owned was a Alfasud which ran on 175 tyres. Theres lots of different variables that make for good grip.

ABS Braking on Blonde driver is much better/quicker/safer.
Without ABS on good/race driver is making braking shorter, faster and more accurate than ABS.

That type of videos are good for "blondes", showing something, something what is not on ABS purpose.
ABS makes car driveable during braking when there is "blonde" driver, who just sits on brakes yells and honks horn.

Winter here in Finland shows easily who knows how to brake and who not, if you rely stopping on ABS you'll visit outside of road or check trunk of car on your front.

ABS is for heavy footed drivers.
My purpose with that video is to show how I think it should be in GT, ABS and no ABS.
You will hardly be able to lock your tires on GT even with 0 ABS now.
Just go away with your "blondes driver" nonsense, nobody is discussing about it.

It's easy to lock wheels up. As easy as ever as long as you have the right setup for it. Don't expect stock brakes to lock warm slicks.

First time I turned off ABS in my 800bhp R32 monster, I didn't have racing brakes installed. I hit the brakes and genuinely didn't think I was guna stop. Upped the brake bias to 10-10.. Still no real stopping power, only just enough.

Installed racing brakes, and now I'm at 4-7 and got perfect modulation, easily lockable at full pressure, but excellent turn in compared to stock with abs.

This was all with racing hards. Sports or comforts would probably be ok with stock brakes and high brake balance settings.

Thank baby Jesus! This is how it should be. Getting hard on the brakes at speed should NOT lock brakes/tires right away. It should be at lower speeds when the strength of the brakes overcomes the grip of the tire to the road.

It was so freaking annoying having to only apply 50% brake pressure at 100mph to prevent lock up.

EDIT: just noticed people reporting camber is still broken... Jesus 🤬 PD! :grumpy:
I have tested a few cars like opel corsa and ford ka in GT to see how the brakes are working now. I choosed those cars because I have already driven them and I have an idea of how they handle. Also, I own a chevrolet Celta which is very simmilar to opel corsa.
Even at low speeds like 60~80km/h, you can fully press the brakes (0 ABS, comfort tires) and both cars won't lock tires, unless you change settings which is weird.
In real life these cars easily lock the front tires at such speeds.

I have tested a few cars like opel corsa and ford ka in GT to see how the brakes are working now. I choosed those cars because I have already driven them and I have an idea of how they handle. Also, I own a chevrolet Celta which is very simmilar to opel corsa.
Even at low speeds like 60~80km/h, you can fully press the brakes (0 ABS, comfort tires) and both cars won't lock tires, unless you change settings which is weird.

Try the same car in arcade race :) Run a front bias brake balance like a real car would, say 9/3.

My second car was a 1.25 Fiesta. No ABS, uprated front pads and 195 yokohamas all round.

Even with the uprated pads,in a straight line I could stand on the brakes (literally) and just get excellent progressive stopping, only slight chirps from the tyres.

If loading up one side of the car into a corner, I would rarely lock the inside wheel, but it would happen. More likely was a trail braking induced slide.

Admittedly the wider sticky tyres would have been a factor.

BUT

This is gran Turismo. Not real life mate.

Not everything is as it should be.

But you can tweak things to get things handling how they should.

IMO.

Back