1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
10-car set Kyosho Nissan Race Cars

img57914771.jpg

Good thing I grabbed that R390 GT-1 1998 model last year... Dat blue checkered livery :drool:

So, I went to a couple of local antique shops the other day and my gawd, it was a plethera of die casts still in the blisters. And nothing was over $1.99. I swear some of the finds were from the early 90's. I am going back on Friday and plan on picking up quite a few.

Any tips on what to look for as far as Hot Wheels and Matchbox go?

Last edited:
So, I went to a couple of local antique shops the other day and my gawd, it was a plethera of die casts still in the blisters. And nothing was over $1.99. I swear some of the finds were from the early 90's. I am going back on Friday and plan on picking up quite a few.

Any tips on what to look for as far as Hot Wheels and Marchbox go?

Cool! If I were you, I will search for matchbox lesney lol.

Is this supposed to have a rear window?
View attachment 195010

Nope 👍

Any tips on what to look for as far as Hot Wheels and Marchbox go?

Dude you should have taken pics. I would have told you first-sight what's rare and what's not. You can try to scrounge for Hot Wheels Treasure Hunts, they had a green stripe in the lower right corner of the blister pack, if they're from the 90s-early 2000s, they will have different wheels and tires too.

I think I saw a few Lesney's honestly. They were quite pricey.

@Cano, I thought about taking pics. I don't know why I didn't honestly. I'll probably go back in a day or two and do just that.

And that leads me to recall this small article I came across while trying to look for info on the TLV Townace a month or two ago. Probably nothing that you don't already know about TLV's but still very interesting. 👍
What a great find, Jarrod. 👍 And the article you linked had an Japanese article linked which went even more in depth. 👍 I doubt that you gonna start taking Japanese lesson just to read a short article, so here are some of the interesting bits:

Gazoo.com(by Toyota)

Shingo Kobayashi - TomyTec
002.jpg

• Man being interviewed is Shingo Kobayashi. He's the man behind the creation of TLV line. 👍
  • Cars to be selected may pop-up from random discussion, cars with anniversary coming up, etc.
  • Once they target the car, they will hunt down an actual existing vehicle to study & take measurements from. Car could be in a museum, private ownership, used car inventory, may even settle for non-running car in storage. They have looked at cars in as far up north as Hokkaido(northern tip of Japan), far down south as Yamaguchi(southern tip of honshu/main island).
  • They refuse to go by measurements found in publications. They find it easy to miss subtle "nuances" without taking measurements from the actual vehicle(who's gonna argue!).
003.jpg

• These mockups are actually produced by their Chinese team. They keep trying repeatedly until they are happy with the final result. Often, the Chinese team have never even seen these classic Japanese cars in person(me neither lol).
004.jpg

• TLV tweak the paint colors from the color used on the original vehicle. This is due to the different angles people view minicars & real life vehicles from, also different lighting they are seen in. Same exact color used on the actual vehicle often does not work on minicars.
Can't be bothered explaining the story behind this. And can't be bothered using a proper camera.
Dude, the picture looks fine, and car is AWESOME(something I've been wanting for while now). I do remember the story behind it. It was the closest model to the car your family owned, or own in the TLV line up, right? Awesome(again). 👍
:lol:

Bluebird looks really nice, mate. Good stuff. 👍
It was called "Stanza" here in the States. Awesome car(third time's the charm). Sporty lightweight midsize.
You better be taking some pictures right now. :D

I doubt that you gonna start taking Japanese lesson just to read a short article....

Yeah, wasn't about to. :lol: Big, big thanks for taking the time to post all of that a6. 👍 The thing that stands out to me is the fact that they track down actual cars for all the measurements & dimensions (wouldn't we all love that job? :lol:) Impressive, no wonder their castings are so good.
It was called "Stanza" here in the States.

All right you caught me out. Couldn't place the car at first, had to find an eBay listing to work out exactly what it was called. :lol: Typical TLV goodness though, great looking casting.
You better be taking some pictures right now. :D

Damn right, he better be. 👍

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new here and I want to start collecting Tomica Vintage Limited, is there anywhere online I can buy bulk pieces?

So I can save on shipping and cost.

I've seen on eBay but I don't think shipping is cheap.

I would like to thank the guy who said he would send my package out last Monday, sent it out on Wednesday instead through UPS GROUND of all things, and bent the card while packing it. No positive feedback for you.

Hi, I'm new here and I want to start collecting Tomica Vintage Limited, is there anywhere online I can buy bulk pieces?

So I can save on shipping and cost.

I've seen on eBay but I don't think shipping is cheap.
Welcome!

Try here. Click on the 'Japan Booster' link to the right. They offer combined shipping for purchase over $50 on lot of items.

Another good one to try is AmiAmi. I'm in the U.S., and I find the shipping to be reasonable, especially when I'm buying bunch of little TLVs. They also offer reliable preorder & backorder services. 👍
I would like to thank the guy who said he would send my package out last Monday, sent it out on Wednesday instead through UPS GROUND of all things, and bent the card while packing it. No positive feedback for you.
UPS Ground. Makes no sense. :lol:

I buy alot of my Hotwheels from eBay, ship them to Seattle and then back to Malaysia, FYI its cheaper! the amount of scalpers in Malaysia ISSS WAY TO HIGH....krazy.....the hobby will be dead soon....too many re-sellers......

My guess: It was the easiest way to ship due to work schedule. Lot of people have easier access to UPS from work. Not very cost effective. :lol:
I buy alot of my Hotwheels from eBay, ship them to Seattle and then back to Malaysia, FYI its cheaper! the amount of scalpers in Malaysia ISSS WAY TO HIGH....krazy.....the hobby will be dead soon....too many re-sellers......
Coming from the country that actually manufacture the hot wheel cars, that is nuts. :crazy:

Yo Jason, check out how much your black OH5 620 went for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380957485247

edit#1: DaBoxToys restocked on even more Kyosho Ferrari Neo 7s.

They also got the McLaren F1 GTR Racing Sets. I imagine they may break it down to individual cars soon. Prices should definitely be lower than on eBay.

Last edited:
My guess: It was the easiest way to ship due to work schedule. Lot of people have easier access to UPS from work. Not very cost effective. :lol:

Coming from the country that actually manufacture the hot wheel cars, that is nuts. :crazy:

FYI - True story, $upers loose are hitting eBay and all re-sellers are from Malaysia. GO figure.....FYI these $upers are loose.....

I've been talking about "finally" spending over $100 on a single car, and I finally did it..... without doing it.

Perhaps the first TLV vehicle I ever brought up in this thread(loooong time ago), I just sniped it for $73(generally goes for over $100).

If you were wondering, my max bid was $100($90.20 + $9.80 shipping). :D
FYI - True story, $upers loose are hitting eBay and all re-sellers are from Malaysia. GO figure.....FYI these $upers are loose.....
I always guessed that loose Super TH from Malaysia were snuck out of the factory?
edit#1: DaBoxToys restocked on even more Kyosho Ferrari Neo 7s.

They also got the McLaren F1 GTR Racing Sets. I imagine they may break it down to individual cars soon. Prices should definitely be lower than on eBay.
I came close to ordering metallic red F40, but no. It has to be perfect!(regular red).

@a6m5 thanks for the details on that article. I love the approach TLV takes. Makes me excited for what castings are coming next. My hope is one day they would let Lamley pay them a visit for a future story. If I need a translator...

My wife called me today to say another box arrived from Japan. I think it is a box of buses. I will find out when I return home tomorrow. BTW Japan Booster is setting up a site to sell the PVC protecto packs for TLV. Same packs they send the boxes in.

And it is so funny you bought the ladder truck. That is next on my list as well. Can't wait to see it when you get it.

@AOS- that Datsun did go high, and I just noticed that set of Matchbox Gathering Tacomas is now up to over $500. Expires in a few minutes.

Back