1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Thank you for taking the comparison shots. I wanted to get the green one the day I learned of it, but I can clearly see the forms look comparably more sloppier than the newer casting. I'll have pics of mine up here some day.

I'm not totally sussed about Kyosho - in fact I come in here to get the news! :lol: So I'm not sure at all as to what they're doing at all. Great to hear that they are taking such an interest in the smaller models, the models that actually needed detailing because they are so small and detail was always ignored. Looks like they are going after a segment of the market that was ignored by the premium names that only made 1:64s at an astronomical cost.
Next to the new Tomys' and Kyoshos' 'replica-ness' the 'toy' brands now look like what they are - toys.

Speaking of, I had looked up the place called Swap Shop ever since you mentioned it, and while it has mixed reviews, there have been some mentioning bad experiences of being ripped off. You aware of this?

The Swap Shop is quite well known as a 'ripoff' place. Buyer beware and seller beware!
They take advantage, really, of people in dire straits - the $30.00 car I dropped into the Scale Model Thread was probably bought by the store from some cash-strapped individual for $5.00. They have a huge mark-up.
If you take a Kyosho in there they'll offer you a buck for it, then turn around and sell it for 8.00.
That's the nature (human or otherwise) of the business.
They do have a return guarantee but one must check the details of that refund policy carefully - some things are not covered and most products can only be exchanged or a credit received.
There is only one section of the market they are very popular for - retro and new used videogames.
They just about have any game you would be looking for - as well as movies.
DVDs for instance are 5 for $10.00. Blu-rays are $3.00. Videogames can go from $2.00 up to around $30.00 depending on how new and in what condition.

They usually never carry any cars.
About six months ago the shop was suddenly flooded with model cars of all makes and scales; someone gave up their collection for a song - as usually happens to the majority of die-cast collectors (unless they donate it after they pass to some charity.) The majority of that collection is now gone - as the months passed and I checked the collection dwindled. Now they may have around 100 cars left.
I did only buy one car out of that entire collection on sale - a Maisto 1:18 pick-up for $10.00 - it was in fairly decent condition.

I think I mentioned this before, but if anyone is going to buy Greenlights off of eBay I highly recommend going through user 'cykod'. He offers discount codes and even includes free cars if you buy multiples. Most of the prices are more than fair, including shipping.

Came back from a vacation yesterday. There were packages from 4 different sellers waiting for me. :dopey:

There's some good stuff to show.

Starting off with this Matchbox Lambo

IMG_7260.jpg

Ford Capri

IMG_7259.jpg

Datsun

IMG_7256.jpg

Citroen CX

IMG_7254.jpg

The back opens which is nice, but the part is molded in plastic which I'm not a big fan of.

IMG_7255.jpg

I also got these. They display well together (Yes, the BMC 1800 is Cano's fault)

IMG_7253.jpg

The Citroen SM is in good condition with just a few scratches on the roof and hood. I'm not even sure they go through the paint.

The BMC 1800 is very near mint with two tiny paint chips. It came with a box. :D

IMG_7248.jpg

Now all I need is a gold one and I'm set.

And now for the really good stuff.

My second redline!

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7239.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

Hong Kong base Custom Fleetside.
As I said this is my second redline. The bid for this next one I'm about to show you ended sooner technically, so it gets the honor.

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

Purple Hong Kong base Custom Camaro. :D
As far as I can tell pretty hard to find in purple. This is one of my favorite redlines for sure.

Not done yet though. I spent more money than I'd like to admit on this little thing.

IMG_7261.jpg

Polistil Renault 5L.
It probably wouldn't be so expensive without this box it came with.

IMG_7262.jpg

I love it. :drool:

Last edited:
I really wish I had a camera. Went out to the flea market again and got 10 cars for about 5 bucks. Some good ones too I think.

Added some more to my collection-I-have-no-room-for. Bought these while I was out in Gran Canaria. :D

Came back from a vacation yesterday. There were packages from 4 different sellers waiting for me. :dopey:

Uuuungh dude, awesome grabs. All of them. The camaro is indeed rare in that color. But the favorite of mine is the Renault 5. Awesome/adorable.

What does it feel to wast... spend all of your hard-earned money in these things? Because you have quite a good coin in there to boot.

Uuuungh dude, awesome grabs. All of them. The camaro is indeed rare in that color. But the favorite of mine is the Renault 5. Awesome/adorable.

What does it feel to wast... spend all of your hard-earned money in these things? Because you have quite a good coin in there to boot.

I love the R5 too, ever since I saw one on ebay ages ago I wanted it, but that one went for $50+. This one was cheaper than that, but with both the redlines coming from the same seller, it came out to a hefty figure.

I thought about the money I spend. But in the end I figured that if I hold onto these and they keep my interest for a long time then it's money well spent. A brand new video game title comes out to let's say $50 and that's something you can play for a few hours and then never touch again (though that depends on the type of game). For that price I can get a really awesome car or several awesome cars which I can keep around for years, and if I eventually don't care about them anymore I can sell them off. The older stuff tends to not lose its value and even gains it.
Or so I tell myself anyway.

But more importantly, where are the boats?

Underrepresented in this area of the market, right?
#wewantboats

That's a long way for those cars to travel. Brought a smile to my face to realise that HWs even make it to an island out in the Atlantic.

Edit:
Having a look-through to see what I wanted to open:

IMG_6703_zpso8ncrbag.jpg

Allllll of it!

I love the R5 too, ever since I saw one on ebay ages ago I wanted it, but that one went for $50+. This one was cheaper than that, but with both the redlines coming from the same seller, it came out to a hefty figure.

I thought about the money I spend. But in the end I figured that if I hold onto these and they keep my interest for a long time then it's money well spent. A brand new video game title comes out to let's say $50 and that's something you can play for a few hours and then never touch again (though that depends on the type of game). For that price I can get a really awesome car or several awesome cars which I can keep around for years, and if I eventually don't care about them anymore I can sell them off. The older stuff tends to not lose its value and even gains it.
Or so I tell myself anyway.

Underrepresented in this area of the market, right?
#wewantboats

Ertl_Correct-Craft.jpg

no I don't have one. Made by ERTL under sportscraft. They apparently came in several color variations

View attachment 418676 View attachment 418677
Got this at a flea market I go to every year. Other than a little paint damage and a slightly messed up window, it's pretty nice. 👍

As a kid, there was a small toy store nearby that had a whole selection of those early car+button blister packs. They had never sold, and were still sitting there well into the early '80s. Me being a Matchbox guy at the time, I paid them little notice. D'oh!

Back