1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Quick Walmart stop.

IMAG0034.jpg

Finished off the GT series with the SRT10. It would've been cool if they'd been able to do the ACR.

I walked into Smyths this morning and they haven't filled the pegs for a forthinght. I was about to walk out when I looked up and saw the boxed stock shelf.
Two unopened lozenge/brick shaped boxes with GT insignia caught my eye and I ended up clambering the shelves and tipping one off.
I've watched YT vids of a guy blatantly opening normal cases in the shop getting the TH's etc. but this felt very wrong.
Through this frenetic blur I swear their were 15 pieces in the box with 2 of everything except the Viper?!. I didn't check the other box.

image.jpeg

Finished off the GT series with the SRT10. It would've been cool if they'd been able to do the ACR.

I walked into Smyths this morning and they haven't filled the pegs for a forthinght. I was about to walk out when I looked up and saw the boxed stock shelf.
Two unopened lozenge/brick shaped boxes with GT insignia caught my eye and I ended up clambering the shelves and tipping one off.
I've watched YT vids of a guy blatantly opening normal cases in the shop getting the TH's etc. but this felt very wrong.
Through this frenetic blur I swear their were 15 pieces in the box with 2 of everything except the Viper?!. I didn't check the other box.

View attachment 556325
They should've done better with the Skyline. I like the series and all (I wanna pick up the XJ220 for myself), but they should've done better with painting it to best represent the Gran Turismo series.

And how late are they? Erm... almost 20 years?

They should've done better with the Skyline. I like the series and all (I wanna pick up the XJ220 for myself), but they should've done better with painting it to best represent the Gran Turismo series.

Remember these are Hot Wheels we're talking about.

Remember these are Hot Wheels we're talking about.
It's the Gran Turismo we are talking about!! j/k

I'm more upset with how poor the distribution are in my area. GUARANTEED to sell out, COMPLETELY: Gran Turismo + Japan Historics...... We get everything else instead. Mattel reps need to educate retailers.

It's the Gran Turismo we are talking about!! j/k

I'm more upset with how poor the distribution are in my area. GUARANTEED to sell out, COMPLETELY: Gran Turismo + Japan Historics...... We get everything else instead. Mattel reps need to educate retailers.
I thought for sure the Gran Turismo cars were not going to end up in regular stores.

They should've done better with the set full stop. The GT is the obvious highlight and a way for me to own a signature car from the game without spending AutoArt money. The Huarya in the anniversary livery was underwhelming. The R32 casting is weird and apart from the XJ, the rest have a tenuous link to the game.

They could've used the old Race mods as inspiration and used them on the castings they ended up using. I'd have more than likely bought all 8 if the Viper was painted in the yellow and red GT2 RM, and the Lambo was in a Nomad inspired livery, for instance.

I thought for sure the Gran Turismo cars were not going to end up in regular stores.
After I see the majority of premium series Mattel push, or retailers end up carrying, they don't impress me much. Matchbox premium(forgot the name)thing to me is a dud too, due to off-road tires.

No offence @R1600Turbo but stuff like that makes me laugh hard. I will never understand the fascination of wheel variations.

I think the only situation where I would be impressed, is by finding a mainline with unexpected real riders, in replacement for the usual plastic wheels. Has that ever happened?

It's no different than buying recolours. Maybe you never collected something rare and interesting?
Yeah but recolours are intended. It seems to me wheel varies are probably just mistakes more than anything.

You're right about the collecting rare stuff though (not so much the interesting part, as that's quite subjective..). Rare stuff usually comes at a cost. I'd rather invest that money saved and spend it on making/or customising something unique that no-one else will ever have. ;)

I think it's the desire to find things lesser found/known. When you do find it, it's a cool feeling.

Yeah but recolours are intended. It seems to me wheel varies are probably just mistakes more than anything.

Yeah, had it been intentional, I'd see more value out of it, but I've been informed of the opposite, so I too value it less now.

I'd rather invest that money saved and spend it on making/or customising something unique that no-one else will ever have. ;)

I interpret this in an analogy; making up an animal in CGI versus discovering a cousin of an existing animal. Different goals, really.

Well I did spend a mere 2 minutes on that one :lol:

Some rather use the resources to create a new object; some rather use the resources to find an existing one.

I'd only go for the latter because an existing product is something everyone can relate to and acknowledge the collector's value in it.

Your own work is usually valued by yourself the most, and by that I mean the chance of a custom outselling a known wheel variation is unlikely, granted we are talking about the same target audience.

Your own work is usually valued by yourself the most, and by that I mean the chance of a custom outselling a known wheel variation is unlikely, granted we are talking about the same target audience.
I agree, I'd find far more value in my own custom than anybody else would, and rightly so (wouldn't expect it any other way). Obviously, the target audiences are different.

I'm not an expert on their manufacturing processes, but that's just what I have heard in the past. And a little variety never hurt anyone.

And a little variety never hurt anyone.
Indeed it's never hurt me. But then again I'm not the kind of person to part with hard earned cash for somebody else's (production op, stock controller or line manager's etc etc) mistake.

Last edited:
Back