1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,422 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Jetboy, I can't wait to see that Charger with new wheels and a respray. Please do it in the near future. I have a lot of confidence on saying your customs will be a lot better than mine :lol:

Cheers, Cougar23
Don't know why, but thanks. :lol: The Fastback and Cougar turned out really nice!

Diablo that Nü-Chevelle needed a little oomph; that looks good! You ever unlock Tow Jam on that PS1 game? (I have it too.)

Cheers,
Jetboy

Yeah I think I unlocked it when I used to play it. As a kid I used to spend hours and hours looking for and trying to get the mystery cars, Thunder Roller was the biggest bitch of them all if I remember right. Was in plain sight but you had to land on one thing then somehow shoot over to the next one. I could never get twinmill (or twinmill II, I forget which one it was for) though, that race was pretty tough. I'm half glad they didn't have the unlock everything code back then. Would have saved me a whole lotta wasted life, but on the other hand it kept me occupied very well.

I had an interesting buying experience today. My mom had found a Walgreens coupon for 49 cent hotwheels cars with a limit of 10. I was all excited to pick up a few good and maybe some donor cars but when I got there there weren't any left. The coupon had just come out today and some a-hole came in with their kids and cleaned it out (verified by the manager). Luckily since my mom has no shame she was able to get the manager to give her something that will allow me to buy them for the same 49 cents each when they come back in (In January :grumpy:)

Despite my bad luck at Walgreens I was still able to pick up a few elsewhere. First I went to Walmart and checked through the entire selection, but no twinmill. With no other cars that I wanted I ended up with the gasser on the right for a rim donor. Since Walmart only had the regular kind I went over to Publix and picked up the other two which I've been looking at. I don't particularly care for the GTO but I got it for the rims. Sorta the same story for the van, but I might end up doing something with it because it's still pretty cool.

The milk truck's rims would be an excellent donor to my Daytona project. 👍 Also, our GTO's have identical paint, but how did you get the premium wheels? Is that a special series..? Mine's mainline, listed under "Faster Than Ever '10".

Cheers,
Jetboy

Diablo' you are going to be spitting chips when you see what me and my sister picked up today.

I got:
A Twinmill (Same as one pictured further up the page - Black redflames)
A '67 Camaro with Flip up hood
Ferrari 250 GTO
'70 Chevelle SS Wagon

And my sister got:
'69 Mercury Cougar Eliminator
'09 Nissan GT-R
Porsche Carrera GT

Will post pics when I get a chance.

Cheers, Cougar23

The GTO and the milk truck are both Larry's Garage. Couldn't pass up the rubber tires, although they weren't cheap at about $3 each. Unfortunately for me I don't have anything that fits the milk truck rims, the rear ones are absolutely enormous on top of being wide with a shorter axle. Same goes for the Gasser, I guess my 90s to early 00s hotwheels aren't all that compatible, at least with the shorter axles. The GTO rims will be able to fit something, but I haven't figure out what yet.

Larry's garage is a pretty neat series, I wish they made more with rubber tires. If I do end up finding an actual purple Purple Passion they have a Larry's garage version so I can switch out the axles. If only they made a Larry's garage twinmill, I think I'd die of epicness (I don't know why I'm so obsessed with twinmill now, but it does give me something to hunt for)

Why are you so obssesed with the Twinmill? :lol: I only got it because you guys have been talking about it a bit otherwise I would've looked straight past it as I do to all the other weird cars Hotwheels Make. :lol:

Cheers, Cougar23

The same reasons they decided to make a running life size version of it (which I wish there was a video of it running). It's a great design and it's a hotwheels classic, first released in 1969.

Unfortunately for me I don't have anything that fits the milk truck rims, the rear ones are absolutely enormous on top of being wide with a shorter axle.

You can lengthen or shorten axles as needed. Buy some 1/16" metal tubing from a hobby store (found mine in the train isle) and cut it to the length that you need the axle to be. Then cut the axle that is too short or too long in half, trim it down a bit if needed, then insert into the metal tubing and crimp it down. 👍

Wouldn't it roll funny or not at all though? You'll have to show me a picture if you can.

Went to Target today and they had about four twinmills, all the same color though. I wish I could find one in a better style, not so fond of that one but I bought it anyway, can always modify it. Speaking of which, as you can see, I put the rims from the GTO on the twinmill. It looks really good but doesn't roll unfortunately, will have to do some modifications to see if I can get it to. As for the others, I liked the hood on the truck and the mini (which is a matchbox, but you could probably tell) looked pretty neat so I bought them to modify eventually. I can't really do much to modify the Delorean but it's pretty cool so I just bought it to have it.

Nice pickup Diablo'. I want that MINI to do a wheelswap and paintjob to it. :lol: The van looks cool aswell. I don't really like the colour of the Twinmill that you/I have so mine will be getting painted soon.

I painted my sister's GT-R and my Camaro today - Humbrol's Moonlight Blue and both are looking good at the moment but apparently you have to wait 6 hours between coats and I don't want to stuff it up so I will wait(only an hour to go I painted them this morning). Will post pics when done.

Hey Jetboy...done anything to that charger yet? :lol:

Cheers, Cougar23

I'm debating what I should paint the twinmill. It would be nice to get a hold of the green they used on the classic ones, but that's a pretty special paint. All I have available is gloss black and two shades of flat camo green if I bring it to my friends. Plus it's pretty cold out, not cold by northern standards, but I can't imagine the paint would like 50 degrees all that much. Probably the first time I've ever actually wanted it to be warmer in Florida :lol:

I did a rear rim swap on the truck. Not too big of a deal usually but I had to do a good bit of modification to get them to fit. Trim the bottom plastic, cut out the wheels wells, and do a hell of a lot of sanding on the inside. They'll rotate but not perfectly so more sanding will be needed, but i'm satisfied for now. I also did a ton of sanding under the hood to try and make it fit better. I sanded practically everything I could think of but it still doesn't close like I want it to, and because of it the hood is now front heavy and doesn't want to stayed closed all that well. Oh well, it's a work in progress, but I like where it's going. I originally wanted to put the milk truck rims on it but the rubber made it just too complicated. Speaking of which I put the rear milk truck rims on a Jaded and they fit perfectly, I was amazed. The only downside is the front wont fit, and quality rims on the back with regular on the front just doesn't look right.

:drool::D I soooooooooo want that milk truck. :lol: Please don't paint it. The original Champion Scheme looks sick. What did you get the rubber rear wheels off? I'll have to find one of these myself. :)

I put another coat of paint over the Camaro and the GT-R aswell and they both came out well. I will wait till tomorrow (it's 9.23 pm here) and then touch up the edges before assembling them. Will take some shots of them when they are fully finished. It says to wait 10 days till it's fully hardened and they came out that well that I will follow that because I don't want to have to pain them again.

Which takes me onto my next aquisition. I told my sister I would pull down and paint her Carrera if she sanded it..anyway she decided she was over it and gave it to me. All I did was respray it white because it was already pulled down and the yellow didn't suit the red interior.

Here's a Pic.

It came out reasonably well I think but the other two will be my best yet.

Ok now for the question. I painted the GTR and Camaro with a brush, and I have spray on clearcoat. Should I clear coat it or wait until I can get the same brand of clearcoat as the paint and brush it on.

Cheers, Cougar23

The Larry's Garage series has rubber wheels. I took the rubber wheels I wanted to put on it from that other milk truck a page back, silver and blue parts van thing. The rear wheels that are on it now came from the gasser.

I'm surprised you're using a brush, but that is a good idea because you can get a lot more detailed with it. The clear coat should be fine to spray on, paint is paint no matter how you put it on. I have had some weird experiences with clear coat though, turned out looking like a wax coating, but I didn't wait that long to spray it so that was the problem.

To buy each colur I want in a spraycan would be much too expensive for me (16-no job) :lol: I just buy the small hobby pain tins in whatver colour I feel like and each tin only costs $2.30

Cheers, Cougar23

Figured out how to modify axles pretty well. The front ones that are on Jaded were way too long so I used my vice grips to cut the excess off which bowed out the end keeping the wheel in and allowing the rim to spin freey. I originally had it on the panel truck but I put those other ones on for the hell of it, thinking I could go either dragster or low hot rod with it. Probably just going to buy another gasser so both Jaded and the truck can have the drag tires, they both look good with them.

Super GT (GT500, GT300)
Esso Ultraflo Supra
Takata Dome NSX
Daishin Silvia
RE Amemiya Asparadrink RX-7
Reckless MR-S
Wedsport Celica

I have the Esso Supra, the RE RX-6 and the Celica.

In addition to that, I've got a LOT more. Not as much as some people have posted, but I have several hundred. Highlights:

2 Porsche Carrera GT's
2 Saleen S7's
2 Mercedes cars (SL and S) from the '70s (not the model but the actual 1:64 car)
1 Lamborghini Murcielago
1 Mercedes CLK Black
1 Shelby Cobra racer
2 BMW 8-series
1 Porsche 911 997 GT3
1 Pagani Zonda
1 Corvette C6.R
1 Bugatti Veyron (original black/red paint)
2 Panoz GTR-1s (1 lime green/blue, the other white)
1 Ferrari 333 SP (I used to have all 5 of the Ferrari Heat series)
1 Zotic (not a real car obviously but made in the hypercar mold and I like it)
1 Railroader (remember?)

I've got some other nice ones that I'm too lazy to go and see what they are. I'm seriously considering buying more though, because last time I looked Hot Wheels had some pretty nice models out. One difference between me and pretty much everyone else though is that I actually use all of mine. None are still in the box. The way I see it, I gots some toy cars so I might as well use them the way they were meant to be used.:sly:

I went to K-mart as a last resort, and I should have been going there the whole time. Since no one really goes there they had plenty of old ones that Walmart would have sold ages ago.

The gem of what I got I think has to be the Copperhead concept. I'm not entirely sure you're supposed to even be able to get it in the store. Please correct me if I'm wrong but even the Hotwheels wiki doesn't have too much info on it. Second in the list is the Dirty Rat Way 2 Fast. I saw it on the Hotwheels wiki last night and really wanted it, but I figured I wouldn't be able to find it because it's a 2008 car. The rest are pretty equal, I really like the paint on the 67 Charger a ton more than the one I have, the Gasser's tires say Goodyear instead of Hot Wheels Racing, and being a Mopar guy I just had to have the new Charger.

All in all I'm very satisfied with my findings, a ton more than the others. I don't even think I'm going to take any of them out of the package, especially the Copperhead. The Gasser was bought for its rims so they'll be going on the red truck, but the others are definitely going on my wall.

One difference between me and pretty much everyone else though is that I actually use all of mine. None are still in the box. The way I see it, I gots some toy cars so I might as well use them the way they were meant to be used.:sly:

+1 save for the ones I just got. Why keep them in the package when they're meant to be played with, unless they REALLY mean something to you.

EDIT: Hmm, can't seem to find either of my 67 Chargers on the Hotwheels wiki. The new one is a 2010 so I can understand but I got that other one ages ago, probably early 00s.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it roll funny or not at all though? You'll have to show me a picture if you can.

They roll just fine. The wheels roll independently of the original axle, which is inserted into the metal tube and crimped down.

Edit: this is what I did to fit the axles on the Karmann Ghia.

146103375_9ECB627D8D96B10D531B72A501847E61.jpg

They roll just fine. The wheels roll independently of the original axle, which is inserted into the metal tube and crimped down.

Edit: this is what I did to fit the axles on the Karmann Ghia.

146103375_9ECB627D8D96B10D531B72A501847E61.jpg

Oh wow that's a really neat idea. You have to do some modification to get the axle to fit in though right. I can imagine that would be an epic bitch for a metal or even plastic model where the axle is recessed into the chassis instead of just laying on it.

Not really. Once you create a groove big enough to fit the larger axle, just glue it in place.

When you paint do you sand first? I'm about to paint a bunch but I don't want to ruin them. I know some high grit sand paper wouldn't hurt but unfortunately I don't have any.

Got some pics uploaded (before my phone ran out of messages. :grumpy:.) These are al ones that sit on the headboard of my bed.

Inner Headboard: You will see these all in higher detail later. Make sure to notice Cars' The King lurking in the mix.
Hotwheels1.jpg

Holy Trinity: Check it out, Mustang Fastback, Challenger SRT-8, Nü-Camaro. All posing behind a sexy Matchbox Charger Cop. :lol:
HolyTrinity.jpg

Supercars: Hotwheels CLK DTM, Matchbox Corvette ZR-1, Hotwheels Murcielago, Matchbox SLR. Front car is a Brushed Metal Ford GT by Matchbox.
Supercars.jpg

Vintage: (Front Row) Chaparral 2D Race Car '67, 8 Crate (Based off a '56 Ford Hearse), '68 Nova, '65 Nova
(Back Row) Buick Grand National, Purple Passion, Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA '65
Vintage.jpg

Notice also some Dale Earnhardt bits in the background, and to the extreme left in the last pic, a set of oversized dice and my bits of car memorabilia I used for daily objects: The leather drink coaster is the Horn Cover from a later sixties Mustang, GT Center is intact. The ashtray is the center cap from the rim of a Triumph. :D

Cheers
Jetboy

Last edited:
When you paint do you sand first? I'm about to paint a bunch but I don't want to ruin them. I know some high grit sand paper wouldn't hurt but unfortunately I don't have any.

Been a while since I've done this. I used to use paint stripper and get it down to bare metal before I painted. Probably still the preferred method. For the Datsun I just used an exacto knife to scrape the paint out of the door/hood lines, sanded it down with a high grit sand paper, then cleaned and painted.

Nice bunch of cars you've got there Jetboy.👍 Now go customise them:mischievous::D

Nice pickup too Diablo'. 👍 I would be doing the same thing as your doing with them if they had a meaning to me. The next Cougar I find I will keep in the box and hang it on my wall as well as other old musclecars I see fitting.:sly:
The Van looks great with the new wheels but the Rubber drag tyres at the back would eally set it off. :sly:

I'm getting some clearcoat today (tin) and will put a coat over the GTR and Camaro when I get a chance.

:lol: @ Turbo Lag

Cheers, Cougar23

Nice bunch of cars you've got there Jetboy.👍 Now go customise them:mischievous::D
Not these ones, nah. Waiting for Diablo to explode at the sight of my Actual Purple Passion :lol:

Just got these last night while I was out.

5 Alarm
5alarm20102508ef.jpg

Fast Gassin'
2009_014a.jpg

'57 Chevy
4120115843_c5a0c97a0f.jpg

Loving the NASCAR-Style Motif. Very cool.

To get to customize:
Texas Ride 'em
284px-Texas_classic_orange5.JPG

Plans: Ditch the bikes. Find a way to drop it on the ground, different rims. Colour for wood panelling sides (Thinking light-cedar), may keep the orange top.

Cheers,
Jetboy

I want that Chev. :drool: It looks Great. Can't wait to see what you do with the truck. It sounds what you are going to do is what I was trying to do but mine turned out crap:nervous:
If the base is metal probably your best bet is to ditch it and get a base of a car that looks like it may fit with a bit of enticing. That's what I did. No way was I going to be able to lower it with the truck chassis because the wheels sit so far down in the Chassis. I used the Chassis off a Chevelle but I has to chop it in half and shorten it because it was too long. Either way, I can't wait to see what you come up with.:sly:👍

Cheers, Cougar23

EDIT: You wouldn't consider selling that Chev to me would you Jetboy? :lol: Seeing as though it has my number on the side an all. 👍

EDIT #2: Diablo', Here's a Redline Twinmill for you...If your willing to spend $25 aussie dollars on it :lol:

Last edited:
I want that Chev. :drool: It looks Great. Can't wait to see what you do with the truck. It sounds what you are going to do is what I was trying to do but mine turned out crap:nervous:
If the base is metal probably your best bet is to ditch it and get a base of a car that looks like it may fit with a bit of enticing. That's what I did. No way was I going to be able to lower it with the truck chassis because the wheels sit so far down in the Chassis. I used the Chassis off a Chevelle but I has to chop it in half and shorten it because it was too long. Either way, I can't wait to see what you come up with.:sly:👍

Cheers, Cougar23
That's about the idea of it. I stumbled upon a hobbysite devoted to doing what we (read: you, Diablo, and eventually, I) are. This is what one did with the Gas Tanker I got.

Fast_Movin_White_Base_LHS1.jpg

MVC-117F.JPG

:eek: Yeah, that's what I said too. Who the hell makes a Gruman Van out of one of these??? Props for creativity and resources. Also has a working retractable door.

Also, same project, he pointed to something I'm thinking we entirely missed. Check this out:
Screw_Post_Box.jpg

HW_Fast_Movin_rear_post_3qtr.jpg

Awesome. I wonder where I can find these...

Cheers
Jetboy

Last edited:
I can't get your pictures to work but I'm onto the site and looking around now.

EDIT: I copied and pasted the URL's. That van he made is pretty wild. But how exactly do the posts work? Do you drill the Whole post out of the car and replace it with these screw on posts?

Cheers, Cougar23

You wouldn't consider selling that Chev to me would you Jetboy? Seeing as though it has my number on the side an all. 👍

Last edited:
Back