1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,412 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
R1600, that's too cool what your doing. How are you swapping the wheels and getting at the inside of the car? I'd really like to know. I tend to get bored and have lot's of these cars.

Just an ordinary cordless drill with a drill bit just the right size to drill out the rivets. That will allow you to pull the car apart. From there it's really up to you. :) The wheels I just grab from other hotwheels or matchbox cars. Sometimes they just sit inside a slot in the chassis, other times you may have to cut some tabs to release them.

Sometimes the "axle" is too long or short. You can shorten or lengthen them to your needs using some 1/16" metal tubing.

I'm no expert but after seeing some of the custom cars in this thread I decided to give it a go. Definitely not the best, but what do you expect for 3am with no tools other than a screwdriver, a box cutter, a hammer, and other assorted small metal things. To say that my hands hurt would be an understatement, and I gave myself a good jab in the finger with the box cutter, fun.

I had different rims planned for the Beetle but it turned out the Beetle requires a longer than standard axle so I used the ones that were meant for the truck because I could pull the wheels off. It's still semi functional but only the rear will roll. With them back on the truck they roll fine, so I think I'm probably going to go for a full customization on the truck. The yellow one doesn't look all that custom because all I did was replace them because the axles were bent. The only difference from original is that the original were gold, I pulled those off a twin mill II and they were surprisingly the same.

I took apart about 5 cars tonight and only ended up with two good ones, but I hope to take apart more tomorrow when I can actually get access to a drill. Hope you like them, there's bound to be more, and I promise they'll be much better

Karmann ghia you say?
Ok no problem, but let's be honest Hot wheels don't have the most detailed cars, so I bought one from Siku. Oh joy!
Took some pictures outside, since it's snowing.

CarmannGhia1.jpg

CarmannGhia4.jpg

CarmannGhia7.jpg

CarmannGhia.jpg

No GT-R yet? Those have been out for quite some time. It's even available in three colors now. (white, silver, red) 👍

Yeah it has been out here for quite some times, but I can't find it :( Out of luck I guess :lol:

I've seen a pictures of them and I would love to have it in White ;)👍

Last edited:
I didn't know they had so many awesome cars out nowadays. I went to the store today and they only had a few but one of them was a mystery car and I just had to buy it. Turned out to be a crappy looking 2010 Camaro, but the mystery factor was still great, talk about a good sales idea.

Is there a guide or something I could use to know how to open up these cars and put them back together?:crazy:

EDIT: That Karmanghia looks amazing! So does the black Hakosuka.

Last edited:
Is there a guide or something I could use to know how to open up these cars and put them back together?:crazy:

EDIT: That Karmanghia looks amazing! So does the black Hakosuka.

I don't know how the others do it but I've just been drilling out the rivets, bending (or breaking depending on plastic or metal) the axle holders (on hotwheels cars, some of them can be a real pain in the ass), then gluing the axles back on if the the innards of the body doesn't hold them in.

I'm no expert but I can't imagine there's a better way to do it, if there is I'd really like to know because this is a pain in the ass.

Hi This Question is aimed at R1600Turbo but anyone who has the answer could you please tell us.

What size drill bit are you using to drill out the rivets? When I tried to drill them out the drill bit ripped in the the metal 'lugs' on the car body. Also what size rivets are you using to put it back together?

What paint are you using aswell? Small tins of 'Model Paint'?

Keep up the good work on the customisations guys. :) :thumbsup: As soon as I get this relevant info I will be giving my Mercury Cougar Eliminator some Chevy Wheels and maybe a new lick of paint. :)

Many Thanks, Cougar23

EDIT: Just noticed Diablo's reply...Could you answer the questions for us Diablo'?

Cheers

Thing that always bothered me about Hotwheels is the GIANT flecks of metal in the metallic paint. It's so badly out of scale. I think I'm going to try and swap some Hotweels wheels on some Jonny Lightning muscle cars :D. Doubt it's going to work well, I haven't even looked at them together, but hopefully it can be made to work as the JL wheels and tires really are crap.

Mini Wheats truck looks sweet Diablo!

Hi This Question is aimed at R1600Turbo but anyone who has the answer could you please tell us.

What size drill bit are you using to drill out the rivets? When I tried to drill them out the drill bit ripped in the the metal 'lugs' on the car body. Also what size rivets are you using to put it back together?

What paint are you using aswell? Small tins of 'Model Paint'?

Keep up the good work on the customisations guys. :) :thumbsup: As soon as I get this relevant info I will be giving my Mercury Cougar Eliminator some Chevy Wheels and maybe a new lick of paint. :)

Many Thanks, Cougar23

EDIT: Just noticed Diablo's reply...Could you answer the questions for us Diablo'?

Cheers

I've been using a 3/16 but it hasn't been working all that well because it's pretty dull and might not be the best size (it's the only thing I could find). As for putting it back together I kinda just put it back together and leave it that way, or use a stick of hot melt glue and a lighter to make it stay. The way I'm doing it is pretty redneck but I'm just making use of limited resources, I'd definitely wait for someone else's advice.

Nice new cars there R1600Turbo 👍 CTS-V, SRT Charger and the Lambo is in my lists. Only if I could find them...

Man, if I could show you how many hotwheels cars I have....:crazy:

I'd be willing to say I have nearly a thousand. Quite possibly more. All loose in some storage containers somewhere.

I've been using a 3/16 but it hasn't been working all that well because it's pretty dull and might not be the best size (it's the only thing I could find). As for putting it back together I kinda just put it back together and leave it that way, or use a stick of hot melt glue and a lighter to make it stay. The way I'm doing it is pretty redneck but I'm just making use of limited resources, I'd definitely wait for someone else's advice.

So you don't use rivets to reassemble it? If you are just using a Hot Glue Gun I think that's what I will be doing from now on. I broke some of the plastic of the underbody/base off my old Ford (Hot-rod) when I tried to re-rivet it. I sprayed it a baby blue colour and put Ford GT wheels on it because the old Axles were rusted (the model is fairly old and has been in the weather for a long time). :)👍

I pretty much just started doing this yesterday so don't take my advice too strongly, I'm just doing what works, there's probably much better ways to do it.

Use a 3/16 drill bit. I usually only drill them enough that when reassembling they just pop back together. I may try using rivets to put them back together in the future.

Those that are using rivets to hold them together, you're supposed to use a 3/32 drill bit for that. (think those sizes are right)

Ok thanks guys I will try to find those sizes today and see how it goes. I'll probably just glue my ford back together since it won't re-rivet. I'll post my(small) collection here later.

Also, what paint are you using R1600Turbo?
And have you ever done any hardtop to convertable conversions on hotwheels?
What tools did you use if you have done any?

Cheers, Cougar23

For the Datsun I just used regular 'ol Satin black spray can for $2.99.

Don't really use any special tools, although if I decided to get crazy a dremel becomes handy. For small detailing work I just use the pointy round tooth picks. Sometimes have to use sandpaper to make them a little sharper for fine detail work.

Ok thanks. I may Have to look into the dremels then. I know me and my dad could use one alot around the shed on various jobs. Thanks for you reply.

I put my ford back together using hot glue like Diablo said and it didn't come up too bad actually. I might get afew more cars soon...some with bigger wheels because I want to turn the ford into a funny car. lol.

EDIT: Did you prep the carbody before spraying it or not? E.g. Sanding etc.

Cheers, Cougar23

EDIT #2: I don't know if any of you have searched google for Hotwheels/Matchbox Modifications but I just did and come across this Site: Redline Derby Racing
They Race their Hotwheels on various tracks (Dragstrips) and modify to suit/see who can make the fastest Hotwheels car. As well as racing they have a forum with various topics on racing/customizing/making tracks. Cheers, Cougar23

Last edited:
I've been working on a few things. I know they're only axle swaps, but they'll get better as I get better.

First is a Copperhead concept. The original wheels were bent and terrible so I took some dodge looking rims (From a dodge sidewinder concept no less) and put them on there. The paint definitely needs work but I can't imagine that color is easy to find. If I do find it you'll be seeing both that and the sidewinder concept in that lovely shade of orange.

Other random ones I've been working on. The rims on the beetle aren't permanent, I was just testing gluing axles, and they were the only ones wide enough. The Stingray has a really great set of rims from a johnny lightning model, I'm unsure if I want to paint it or not because I like the black widow thing. The charger will definitely be getting painted, rims are from a johnny lightning Datsun I had. And last of all I wanted to go for more of a hot rod look for the truck, will be painting that one as well.

Today I wanted to buy a new car so I went down to the store and found this awesome Challenger in the classics section. At $3.69 it was very pricey but I figured it would be worth it, good quality... not so much

I open up the package and what is that, an already bent axle, straight from Hotwheels. I can always change it, but being metal it's going to be a pain like usual, and it's brand new :irked:

All my images are clickable for 1600x1200 if you want a closer look

Nics wheel Swaps Diablo'. :sly: Shame about the Dodge's axle. I hate it when you buy a product and it's damaged already. :indiff:
On a different note... I tried to paint my Dodge Challenger today but the paint wouldn't stick :nervous: . So I ended up taking it's wheels and slapping them on a '05 Ford GT I recently sprayed golden wattle yellow. It come up alright but the paint isn't that crash hot. Alright for my second try though.
Here's a picture of the only two I have customised and my two favourite cars (I've currently got).

'40 Ford Coupe (Resprayed Baby Blue and Black - Ford GT Wheels)(My First Custom)

'05 Ford GT (MatchBox) (Resprayed Golden Wattle Yellow - Dodge Challenger Wheels - New Longer Axles)

'69 Mercury Cougar Eliminator (Standard Hotwheels - No Mods)

'69 Dodge Coronet Super Bee (Standard Hotwheels - No Mods)

Sorry for the Bad Pictures.

I have heaps more but they aren't in very good condition since I (stupidly) gave them to my little sister to play with thinking I would never have interest in them again.

Cheers, Cougar23

Okay, bear with me here my camera on my phone blows. :indiff:

Got for, between myself and my sister who's 7 and collecting also..
hotwheels.jpg

DeLorean DMC12
Twinmill
Red Baron (Special Halloween paint)
Corvette C6-R
Lifted Dodge Ram
Ford GT LM
Tooligan
'67 Pontiac GTO
Dodge Charger Stock Car
'67 Dodge Charger
Covelight

The ones on the right, save Red Baron, are my sister's Christmas gifts. She got a Twinmill also. ;)

Cheers,
Jetboy

Back